Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

johnny sack posted:

So they have started to port your number, rendering your old phone useless, and leaving you with nothing until they complete the port? Cuz that sounds brutal.

When I ported my number to Google Voice, it took the better part of 2 full days. Granted, my phone still worked with Sprint during the port.

How the gently caress do you provision a device with two MSID's? I don't know either but Ting found a way! :stonk:

In the activation email and on the website, my phone is listed as having an MSID (Let's call it MSID 1) that can't even pull a profile update. However, when I do a carrier wipe/hands-free activation it pulls a second MSID (MSID 2) that only allows voice service and not data. After some hours with support (for which I will be staying with Ting even though this has been a nightmare - holy poo poo their phone support is SO loving GOOD. Maybe not elite phone hack0rz or anything but god drat are they diligent.) it turns out MSID 2 was enrolled 3 seconds prior to MSID 1, which was supposed to replace MSID 2 but didn't fully do so. So now, MSID 2 will get me voice service and will properly pull profile updates and PRL updates, but MSID 1 (which is on the website as being the MSID for my phone mind you) does not work with anything.

E: I guess that MSID sort of works with data. It'll indicate a 3G signal in the notification bar (on the RSSI icon) but it fails DNS lookups, a different error from 'no connection.' Also, I had a notification on the website that they suspended my device. Which is still active and which I used to call my work about an hour ago. :wtc: if it wasn't for the fact that I can feasibly blame Sprint and expect to effectively spammed with help I'd be livid. Instead I'm just rolling with it, so good job Ting, you made a frustrating situation something less frustrating despite increasing the complexity of the problem.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What is the process to get an iPhone 4 working on T-Mobile? Will it work at full network speed?

Alternatively, what is the best <$100 Android phone (used included) for use on T-Mobile?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

What is the process to get an iPhone 4 working on T-Mobile? Will it work at full network speed?

Alternatively, what is the best <$100 Android phone (used included) for use on T-Mobile?

There isn't much. I'd suggest not going back farther than the Galaxy S2 and those seem to be running around $200.

Standard advice you'll get, Get a Nexus 4 for $299, in which case you get to skip forward a full 2 years for only $100 more than the S2. It's tied with the best devices currently available for less than 1/2 the cost of all of the other flagships. I actually like the N4 better than an S3 or Optimus G.

Alternative answer, It's WP7 but solid phone Lumia 710 will do calls, texts, email, browse, and HSPA+ (fast), but has piss poor app selection for around $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOKIA-LUMIA...=item4ac2e7d287

Problem with going too cheap on Android is you will likely end up with a laggy difficult to use device with battery life that lasts 5 hours.

To get an iPhone 4 working on T-Mobile just get it unlocked and drop in a TMo sim. It may or may not work at full network speed, it depend on your local market. Look here to determine:

http://www.airportal.de/

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 4, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Stick100 posted:

There isn't much. I'd suggest not going back farther than the Galaxy S2 and those seem to be running around $200.

Standard advice you'll get, Get a Nexus 4 for $299, in which case you get to skip forward a full 2 years for only $100 more than the S2. It's tied with the best devices currently available for less than 1/2 the cost of all of the other flagships. I actually like the N4 better than an S3 or Optimus G.

Alternative answer, It's WP7 but solid phone Lumia 710 will do calls, texts, email, browse, and HSPA+ (fast), but has piss poor app selection for around $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOKIA-LUMIA...=item4ac2e7d287

Problem with going too cheap on Android is you will likely end up with a laggy difficult to use device with battery life that lasts 5 hours.

To get an iPhone 4 working on T-Mobile just get it unlocked and drop in a TMo sim. It may or may not work at full network speed, it depend on your local market. Look here to determine:

http://www.airportal.de/

Well this question was for my sister, I'm already on T-Mobile with a Galaxy Nexus. She's been struggling with iffy connection issues on AT&T Straight Talk. And what you just said is literally everything I told her. She doesn't have money for a Nexus 4, and is ambivalent about unlocking the iPhone. But from that map, it should work okay.

I remember reading something somewhere about the iPhone not working well with Straight Talk. Is this true in most cases?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Well this question was for my sister, I'm already on T-Mobile with a Galaxy Nexus. She's been struggling with iffy connection issues on AT&T Straight Talk. And what you just said is literally everything I told her. She doesn't have money for a Nexus 4, and is ambivalent about unlocking the iPhone. But from that map, it should work okay.

I remember reading something somewhere about the iPhone not working well with Straight Talk. Is this true in most cases?

If you're super cheap the Lumia 710 for $80 is a steal, esp with either of the two $30 plans. I've only used ATT post paid and Tmobile Prepaid with iPhones, it worked ok. You might lose visual voicemail and might not have fast data speeds but it should still work alright. Normally ATT has better connections than TMo but everything is a matter of milage may vary.

If you get the device unlocked you can get 2 sims for $1 each and take the first one and sign up for the totally unlimited $3 per day plan and use the hell of the plan/device and determine if it's right for you. If it is then activate the second one on what you want (if you can't change the $3 per day plan).

Total cost to determine if TMo is right for you = $5.

I haven't done that myself but it's been suggested.

Why doesn't she want to unlock the iPhone. If you meet the conditions its completely free and increases the value of the device. Nothing can go wrong unlocking the device (I await responses that I'm wrong).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Stick100 posted:

Why doesn't she want to unlock the iPhone. If you meet the conditions its completely free and increases the value of the device. Nothing can go wrong unlocking the device (I await responses that I'm wrong).

I reread your post, if she's on Straight talk with ATT as the carrier then the device is already unlocked. Drop your Nexus Sim in the phone and test, that will answer your questions.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ting fixed the problem with my phone, unironically best CS ever.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Mine works fine. Before I jailbroke I couldn't get MMS. After, I can.

Unless you already have a Straight Talk sim though you won't be able to get one (at sane prices)

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

savesthedayrocks posted:

Mine works fine. Before I jailbroke I couldn't get MMS. After, I can.

Unless you already have a Straight Talk sim though you won't be able to get one (at sane prices)

Yeah, on average from what I can tell, Straight Talk SIM cards on eBay are averaging $50-70 at the end of the auction.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
No SIMs to be found at the Las Vegas Airport kiosk. I would have bought one just because, but the machine was empty...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Yeah, on average from what I can tell, Straight Talk SIM cards on eBay are averaging $50-70 at the end of the auction.

That's ridiculous. I feel like I should sell the Straight Talk AT&T SIM I bought last month since I'm probably going to end up using either Red Pocket or good2GO. Anyone want to buy the SIM + the $45 card ? Would I need to activate the SIM with the E71 I bought with it before I sell it?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

FogHelmut posted:

Unlocking the iPhone is literally just a form:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I just had no less than three dropped calls with my family on my Virgin Mobile phone tonight. I'm sitting in a bedroom inside the upper portion of a duplex and my signal strength is poo poo. gently caress this poo poo, I'm either buying a Red Pocket SIM tonight or I'm driving to Walmart and seeing if I can scrounge up an ST SIM.

edit: Screw it, there's a promotion running on Red Pocket SIMs ($11 with tax.)

Support seemed brain dead at Red Pocket so I'll skip that. Spoke to Straight Talk and it was a little bit better but still kind of crap. They speculate that more AT&T SIM cards will be available "in a couple of weeks." We'll see if that holds true I guess.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 5, 2013

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

The tmobile iPhone came up for preorder today. It's actually cheaper than buying an unlocked iPhone directly from apple. Should be nice to ditch my lovely old flip phone. Doesn't even have a volume control.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Ordered me a Nexus 4. Even with Tmo's new unlimited everything as opposed to the 30$ plan (I need call forwarding and such), it'll still be 5-10 bucks cheaper than sprint was (providing coverage is actually good, I don't trust the maps much).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tedronai66 posted:

Ordered me a Nexus 4. Even with Tmo's new unlimited everything as opposed to the 30$ plan (I need call forwarding and such), it'll still be 5-10 bucks cheaper than sprint was (providing coverage is actually good, I don't trust the maps much).

You could check out Sensorly, they have signal data collected from people who use their app.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

The Entire Universe posted:

You could check out Sensorly, they have signal data collected from people who use their app.

Oh, wow, thanks for mentioning this. Installing the app now to contribute, since carrier coverage maps are often unreliable.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I stopped by the AT&T store today to get a cost breakdown for a month-by-month plan if I brought my own phone. With my company discount, taxes included, I'd be looking at around $100 per month for myself. That's with the Unlimited + 1GB data allowance per month plan. I was also told by the AT&T representative that the AT&T $65 per month GoPhone plans only provide 2G and not 3G/4G. Don't know how true that is but that's just what I was told. I didn't bother cancelling my Red Pocket SIM card order and it's been shipped out via USPS. I can either try their service and see how it is, or wait and hope that Straight Talk re-stocks the AT&T SIM cards within a couple weeks. I can't justify spending $100 per month for cellular service, that's insane.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

The Entire Universe posted:

I will do this when my phone comes in. Thanks!

Of course, no one in my subdivision uses the app, as there's no data.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I stopped by the AT&T store today to get a cost breakdown for a month-by-month plan if I brought my own phone. With my company discount, taxes included, I'd be looking at around $100 per month for myself. That's with the Unlimited + 1GB data allowance per month plan. I was also told by the AT&T representative that the AT&T $65 per month GoPhone plans only provide 2G and not 3G/4G. Don't know how true that is but that's just what I was told. I didn't bother cancelling my Red Pocket SIM card order and it's been shipped out via USPS. I can either try their service and see how it is, or wait and hope that Straight Talk re-stocks the AT&T SIM cards within a couple weeks. I can't justify spending $100 per month for cellular service, that's insane.

AT&T, TracFone, and Walmart might be at this for a little while.

I was going to post about how Red Pocket is about the same as Straight Talk, but after doing some research, it appears I'd be wrong.

Apparently, since American Movil (the company that owns TracFone and the same one AT&T has stock in) is a very large cellular company. They're possibly bigger than AT&T and Verizon, according to a poster on Howard Forums. As such, they have roaming agreements with many carriers.

If you're with AT&T on Straight Talk, you actually use their postpaid coverage and NOT their prepaid (which is what AT&T Go Phone is).

If you have absolutely 0 AT&T coverage, you would roam onto T-Mobile's towers. However, the catch there is that you must get absolutely NO AT&T signal. Not even the teeniest bit from AT&T.

If your phone can get even 1% signal from AT&T, you will remain on AT&T, even if the signal for T-Mobile is much better. Once your phone can no longer detect AT&T's signals, you are put into Roaming Mode which you are then put on T-Mobile's network until you can get back to AT&T.

Honestly, I have never heard of a MVNO carrier roaming. Hell, even the Sprint side of Straight Talk doesn't roam. You're basically on Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile prepaid Sprint coverage, not postpaid. If you get no signal, then you just get nothing.

However, this roaming only works for voice and texting. Data depends on the carrier.

In short, AT&T Straight Talk is, for all intents and purposes, AT&T postpaid with a much lower price. No wonder it's so popular. Granted, you can't stream anything like you could on postpaid AT&T but it's a fair trade. Not to mention, some people CAN stream and get away with it. You even will receive AT&T postpaid features such as Visual Voicemail (which I've tried and it works). You also won't get LTE but that's to be expected as well.

With T-Mobile Straight Talk, you get postpaid coverage and will roam onto AT&T (same rules apply as mentioned previously in this post), but you only get T-Mobile prepaid features. These include voicemail, conditional forwarding, etc. You still won't get LTE here either. :v: Sorry.

https://www.straighttalk.com/terms
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1769152-Does-Straight-Talk-45-Unlimited-use-AT-amp-T-s-postpaid-coverage-(including-3g)
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1767842-considering-straight-talk-READ-THIS-FIRST!?p=14841425

I wouldn't believe any of this if Straight Talk's own TOS didn't confirm it. As the TOS also states, none of this applies to CDMA Straight Talk. Sprint and Verizon phones on ST will not roam and you will be using prepaid coverage from both Sprint and Verizon. This means, for Sprint, you'd be basically using Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile but under a different carrier name. I'm not sure how Verizon's prepaid is, but that's also what you'd get.

The difference between the two Sprint-owned MVNOs and Straight Talk's usage of the same coverage? Both Virgin Mobile and Boost get 4G while Straight Talk is Sprint 3G only.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

AT&T, TracFone, and Walmart might be at this for a little while.

I was going to post about how Red Pocket is about the same as Straight Talk, but after doing some research, it appears I'd be wrong.

Apparently, since American Movil (the company that owns TracFone and the same one AT&T has stock in) is a very large cellular company. They're possibly bigger than AT&T and Verizon, according to a poster on Howard Forums. As such, they have roaming agreements with many carriers.

If you're with AT&T on Straight Talk, you actually use their postpaid coverage and NOT their prepaid (which is what AT&T Go Phone is).

If you have absolutely 0 AT&T coverage, you would roam onto T-Mobile's towers. However, the catch there is that you must get absolutely NO AT&T signal. Not even the teeniest bit from AT&T.

If your phone can get even 1% signal from AT&T, you will remain on AT&T, even if the signal for T-Mobile is much better. Once your phone can no longer detect AT&T's signals, you are put into Roaming Mode which you are then put on T-Mobile's network until you can get back to AT&T.

Honestly, I have never heard of a MVNO carrier roaming. Hell, even the Sprint side of Straight Talk doesn't roam. You're basically on Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile prepaid Sprint coverage, not postpaid. If you get no signal, then you just get nothing.

However, this roaming only works for voice and texting. Data depends on the carrier.

In short, AT&T Straight Talk is, for all intents and purposes, AT&T postpaid with a much lower price. No wonder it's so popular. Granted, you can't stream anything like you could on postpaid AT&T but it's a fair trade. Not to mention, some people CAN stream and get away with it. You even will receive AT&T postpaid features such as Visual Voicemail (which I've tried and it works). You also won't get LTE but that's to be expected as well.

With T-Mobile Straight Talk, you get postpaid coverage and will roam onto AT&T (same rules apply as mentioned previously in this post), but you only get T-Mobile prepaid features. These include voicemail, conditional forwarding, etc. You still won't get LTE here either. :v: Sorry.

https://www.straighttalk.com/terms
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1769152-Does-Straight-Talk-45-Unlimited-use-AT-amp-T-s-postpaid-coverage-(including-3g)
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1767842-considering-straight-talk-READ-THIS-FIRST!?p=14841425

I wouldn't believe any of this if Straight Talk's own TOS didn't confirm it. As the TOS also states, none of this applies to CDMA Straight Talk. Sprint and Verizon phones on ST will not roam and you will be using prepaid coverage from both Sprint and Verizon. This means, for Sprint, you'd be basically using Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile but under a different carrier name. I'm not sure how Verizon's prepaid is, but that's also what you'd get.

The difference between the two Sprint-owned MVNOs and Straight Talk's usage of the same coverage? Both Virgin Mobile and Boost get 4G while Straight Talk is Sprint 3G only.

Very informative write-up, thank you. Sounds like Straight Talk AT&T service is the way to go then. It seems like there's an endless supply of MicroSIM cards for it on eBay at this point. My current Virgin Mobile service "works" (not in Canada) so I'll probably wait. It's a weird time right now as it seems like T-Mobile is making big moves in the market to attract customers and Straight Talk / AT&T are "working things out." On top of that it sounds like the iPhone 5S is right around the corner and apparently there may be a cheaper version coming out that will likely compete with the Nexus 4. Rumors seem to indicate June as the release date and the cheaper iPhone 5S going for around $350 which puts it in the realm of the Nexus 4. It's going to be a tough couple of months but honestly if I could get an iPhone over a Nexus 4 I would spend the extra $50 as long as it works with Straight Talk.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Potentially silly question, but do the "iPhone" advertised Straight Talk AT&T micro-SIM kits work with the Nexus 4? I would think so, but making sure before I drop a rapey price on the SIM.

Looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300886905562

I have the $30 T-Mo plan, but man the coverage where I am for the next few months is terrible. EDGE almost immediately after driving out of town for 5 minutes. It's worth the $15 premium to have a usable phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Potentially silly question, but do the "iPhone" advertised Straight Talk AT&T micro-SIM kits work with the Nexus 4? I would think so, but making sure before I drop a rapey price on the SIM.

Looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300886905562

I have the $30 T-Mo plan, but man the coverage where I am for the next few months is terrible. EDGE almost immediately after driving out of town for 5 minutes. It's worth the $15 premium to have a usable phone.

Yeah, there is no difference between an iphone's micro-sim slot and the Nexus 4's. They use the same sim card and you can swap them just fine, just have to edit APN settings to get MMS and/or data working on Straight Talk. That's also the cheapest price I've found on AT&T sims.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Yeah, there is no difference between an iphone's micro-sim slot and the Nexus 4's. They use the same sim card and you can swap them just fine, just have to edit APN settings to get MMS and/or data working on Straight Talk. That's also the cheapest price I've found on AT&T sims.

Thanks. Just ordered one. I am under the assumption that even though Straight Talk/AT&T are in a tiff, I can still activate this and maintain it for as long as I want? I guess with prepaid, AT&T can pull the plug at any moment...but I hope not.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Thanks. Just ordered one. I am under the assumption that even though Straight Talk/AT&T are in a tiff, I can still activate this and maintain it for as long as I want? I guess with prepaid, AT&T can pull the plug at any moment...but I hope not.

Yeah people are still currently able to activate their sims no problems, it's just finding them is the tough part.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

ThermoPhysical posted:

You even will receive AT&T postpaid features such as Visual Voicemail (which I've tried and it works). You also won't get LTE but that's to be expected as well.

How do I get this to work? I have AT&T Straight Talk on an iPhone 5 and Visual Voicemail is not there. The tab for voicemail just calls my voicemail and I have to enter a password. Any info you can provide would be much appreciated.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
I have an iPhone 4. I want to use MMS. Where do I go if Red-whatever is retarded and straight talk is broken or not working or whatever you're talking about

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

I'm using Straight Talk's AT&T service now on my Nexus 4. Just switched phones from an AT&T locked iPhone 4. My download speed is pretty lovely (<0.2Mb/s). Upload is still 1Mb+. Would I get better speeds by switching to a Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM, or should I just sign up for a T-Mobile pay as you go plan?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

jototo posted:

I'm using Straight Talk's AT&T service now on my Nexus 4. Just switched phones from an AT&T locked iPhone 4. My download speed is pretty lovely (<0.2Mb/s). Upload is still 1Mb+. Would I get better speeds by switching to a Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM, or should I just sign up for a T-Mobile pay as you go plan?

I couldn't tell you if you'd get better speeds or not with TMo, but if you are unhappy with the performance, and if AT&T ST SIMs are still selling for a lot, sell it.

Actually I don't even know, can you sell a SIM once it's been used?

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

johnny sack posted:

I couldn't tell you if you'd get better speeds or not with TMo, but if you are unhappy with the performance, and if AT&T ST SIMs are still selling for a lot, sell it.

Actually I don't even know, can you sell a SIM once it's been used?

I'm gonna call customer service and see. It seems like a recent issue I'm having. I've been pretty satisfied until now.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

jototo posted:

I'm gonna call customer service and see. It seems like a recent issue I'm having. I've been pretty satisfied until now.

Did they throttle you for using up too much data in a month or something? Those speeds sound as if they throttled your connection for getting close to the 1-2GB mark or for using a lot of data.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Did they throttle you for using up too much data in a month or something? Those speeds sound as if they throttled your connection for getting close to the 1-2GB mark or for using a lot of data.

I just got off the phone with customer service. They said I've been throttled for using too much data, which is bullshit since I'm only 6 days into my billing cycle. I've used about 500Mb of data so far, but I started getting these speeds almost immediately at <150Mb. The service rep couldn't tell me how much data I've used, what the cut off is, or anything else about what activity is forbidden in the TOS.

According to the TOS on their page:

quote:

Examples of unauthorized uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uninterrupted mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of uninterrupted continuous video; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. A person engaged in unauthorized uses may have his/her service throttled and/or terminated. Customers will be provided notice and an opportunity to take corrective action with respect to unauthorized uses before their service is terminated.

This is very vague. I've used my 3G data connection for streaming podcasts, a couple YouTube videos, and maybe a song or two. That doesn't seem unreasonable. I guess any streaming at all is too much for ST. I haven't tethered or watched any Netflix or anything. I guess I need to get a big boy data plan with someone else if I plan on doing anything besides browsing text and images.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
From what I've read, this sounds like exactly the sort of use that would cause ST to throttle. They're best used for casual smartphone use and not streaming. ~1.5-2gb a month of total usage, no more than 50megs day should keep you off their radar.

edit: Or go with Net10 that has a very specific 1.5GB monthly cap. Stay under that, and you're golden. Go over, and you're out of data for the month.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

TraderStav posted:

From what I've read, this sounds like exactly the sort of use that would cause ST to throttle. They're best used for casual smartphone use and not streaming. ~1.5-2gb a month of total usage, no more than 50megs day should keep you off their radar.

edit: Or go with Net10 that has a very specific 1.5GB monthly cap. Stay under that, and you're golden. Go over, and you're out of data for the month.

Yeah, I guess it's just not suited for my needs after all. The beauty of pay as you go is being able to switch whenever I want. I'm thinking of switching to T-Mobile on the $30/month plan. I definitely use more than 100min/month, but even after buying more minutes it's still cheaper than straight talk.

Short of tethering, can I stream as much as I want on TMo before I hit 5 gigs without getting throttled?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of T-Mobile, I tried to activate the microSIM I got from them on one of their day plans just to test it out. Apparently, I'd need a phone number already?

Is this true, they won't just give me a new number to go with the SIM or would I have to provide my own?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

jototo posted:

Short of tethering, can I stream as much as I want on TMo before I hit 5 gigs without getting throttled?

I spent 1.2 GB streaming a Netflix movie on Monday. No issues because of it.

EDIT: Remember when people thought that was no way you'd need a 1 GB hard drive? Now we can stream 1 GB over the air to our cell phones in an hour.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of T-Mobile, I tried to activate the microSIM I got from them on one of their day plans just to test it out. Apparently, I'd need a phone number already?

Is this true, they won't just give me a new number to go with the SIM or would I have to provide my own?

They give you a new number with that sim.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

They give you a new number with that sim.

I wanted to activate it and it said I needed a number from another carrier.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-activate

I'm not really sure how T-Mobile works since I don't even think they work in Omaha. Though they're selling prepaid phones so...

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

It will ask you for the activation code which is in the booklet that comes with your prepaid sim, the sim number found on the card itself, and your phone's imei. Then you will have the option of getting a new telephone number or migrating your old phone number over to t-mobile. Hold your mouse over the ? on this page for more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006
I've used 1.75G this mo on t-mo ST and around 1.5 last month and haven't been throttled yet, YMMV of course.

• Locked thread