Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD

Redcrimson posted:

The official translations are kinda terrible, if you ask me. Biribiri is translated as "bugzapper", onee-sama is translated as "sissy".

"Sissy"?:barf:

I know honorifics don't translate well and I've only seen fansubs, but I had no idea such atrocities existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Polsy posted:

UTW used it and made a point of using it so I'm not sure why they're being indecisive now.

I'm pretty sure they're just trolling the gently caress out of /a/.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Parpy posted:

"Sissy"?:barf:

I know honorifics don't translate well and I've only seen fansubs, but I had no idea such atrocities existed.
It's what happens when translators forget that you don't actually have to translate word for word. Heck, "desu" doesn't translate well either, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I only saw desu translated whenever there was a pun going on.

How would you translate onee-sama? 'Elder Sister' doesn't work. 'Sis' and 'Big Sis' don't feel right, but maybe they're close enough? :crossarms:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Raenir Salazar posted:

How would you translate onee-sama? 'Elder Sister' doesn't work. 'Sis' and 'Big Sis' don't feel right, but maybe they're close enough? :crossarms:

I don't see why "Big Sis" or "Dear Sister" would be out of line for Kuroko, the problem is they use "sissy" every time anyone refers to Misaka as onee-sama. Including her sisters, which comes off as really out of place. But that's hardly the only odd translation choice. The Funimation scripts for Raildex are full of weird phrases and idiosyncrasies.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I only saw desu translated whenever there was a pun going on.

That's the whole point; you don't. Madness lies the way of trying to puzzle out one-to-one translations for specific words, especially if the languages are as distinct as English and Japanese. Unless it's a bona fide proper noun you'll just end up with something weird and unnatural.

Instead, work out why she's using "onee-sama". In this instance, I'd hazard that she's elevating Misaka above her socially, not specifically "adopting" her as a surrogate sister. (c.f. nee-san used as a generic form of address for young females.) It's been a while since I've watched any episodes of either Index or Railgun, so I can't remember if Kuroko uses honorific speech when talking to Misaka, but I don't think she does. In any case, as a starting idea I'd suggest wording Kuroko's lines to Misaka to reflect a high degree of worship and deference.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's even harder than that because Onee-sama has lesbian connotations built in when used the way Kuruko does. These things simply don't carry over.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I've been looking forward to this. Index (the series) can be kind of terrible at times, but I really like the setting. All the sciencey stuff I really like, so Railgun is perfect for that. It's basically the more interesting side of Index.

Translationchat, I don't think there's anything wrong with Sparky. I like Sparky. It gets the same message across, so it's a good localisation of "biribiri" to me. That and the drat autocorrect actually lets me say Sparky without arguing. And I think the official manga translation is Sparky, as far as I remember.

Finally: It's just a fun word to say. Sparky sparky sparky.

Edit: Sparky.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Funimation just picked up streaming rights: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-11/funimation-to-stream-a-certain-scientific-railgun-s-sequel-anime

Anime News Network posted:

North American anime distributor Funimation announced on Thursday that it has acquired streaming rights to A Certain Scientific Railgun S (Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S). Funimation will stream the series on Sundays starting on April 14 at 11:30 a.m. EDT.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Maybe Kuroko could say 'my dear...' or something?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

ChronoReverse posted:

It's even harder than that because Onee-sama has lesbian connotations built in when used the way Kuruko does. These things simply don't carry over.

Mistress? It implies reverence and has sexual connotations.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Soylentbits posted:

This is america, sexual connotations will never be allowed. You're suppose to feel all squeamish at the mention of anything remotely sexual. I mean hell they fired someone for using the word vagina during a sex ed class recently.

Anyways back to the topic at hand. I think that this whole one to one translation of literally every word to english is silly.
This is because there are a lot of words that simply don't have direct translations that accurately match the context of the situation most of the time.
Also there is such a thing as over Americanizing something, which can go over board and I don't think I need to sight examples of that.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 12, 2013

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Myurton posted:

You're suppose to feel all squeamish at the mention of anything remotely sexual.

... vagina.

I need an adult. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
For some reason I'm finding "dearie"/"dear"/"dearest" might be in character.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

I quite like this one, actually. It fits quite neatly into my impression of how she would talk in English.

Raenir Salazar posted:

For some reason I'm finding "dearie"/"dear"/"dearest" might be in character.
If Kuroko was seventy, then sure.

Actually, don't forget that this problem need not crop up much at all. You hear "onee-sama" a lot because of the funky way Japanese grammar works, but you rarely use people's names in English conversation.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Interesting, they introduce Misaki in the first episode. I wonder if they are going for the second sisters arc directly? I wasn't even sure if the original sisters arc was canon in the railgun anime.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

Interesting, they introduce Misaki in the first episode. I wonder if they are going for the second sisters arc directly? I wasn't even sure if the original sisters arc was canon in the railgun anime.

See this post from the previous page:

Myurton posted:

I don't know where you got that idea but considering that most of the railgun anime takes place before the events of the Index anime obviously Misaka is not gonna like Toma immediately. If for instance you watch episode 19 where Misaka's school is having a culture festival it's pretty obvious that she is beginning to like him after her short interaction with him. This by the way takes place before he meets her again in episode 10 of the Index anime. The entire Railgun anime chronologically ends at the events of about episode 9 or so of the Index anime so of course she isn't gonna like him to the same extent by that point as he hasn't saved her. The OVA on the other hand takes place after he fights Accelerator since she's all blushy and flustered when she interacts with him at the beginning of it.

TL:DR Rewatch episode 19 and the OVA as it's obvious that she is beginning to like him.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Redcrimson posted:

The official translations are kinda terrible, if you ask me. Biribiri is translated as "bugzapper", onee-sama is translated as "sissy".

Yeah, I thought that weird too. Honestly I'm mildly surprised they didn't go with the likes of Monica Rial or Hilary Haag for Kuroko given that's the sort of hole for them to be pigeon'd into.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Evil Thing posted:

I quite like this one, actually. It fits quite neatly into my impression of how she would talk in English.

If Kuroko was seventy, then sure.

Actually, don't forget that this problem need not crop up much at all. You hear "onee-sama" a lot because of the funky way Japanese grammar works, but you rarely use people's names in English conversation.

But she sounds seventy. :(

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

tonberrytoby posted:

Most of the first season of Railgun takes place pre first season of Index, the series actually ends at about just before the sisters arc of Index with the OVA happening almost directly after it.

edit: the sisters arc for people who haven't watched Index is the arc during which the main character of that show Toma beats the crap out of the awesome Accelerator there by solving the problem Misaka had of her cloned sisters were being slaughtered on mass to produce some hosed up level six esper. It's also because of this that Misaka actually starts to really like Toma.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 12, 2013

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGicolK_VUE

This OP's great! I guess as usual there's scenes that will not play out in the actual show as depicted, but whatever - it looks great and the Fripside tune is just as fantastic as ever. The raws are out apparently, but I'm forcing myself to wait until the subs are up because it feels like by some weird logic that I'd be spoiling it for myself somehow.

Also, Railgun S is being broadcasted at 1600x900 - only Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W has a higher resolution this spring at 1080p. JC Staff is clearly spending some coin on their flagship series, a portion of which I'm guessing came from neat promotional tie-ins like this.

The sisters powering the facility's UPS backup is pretty clever.

Myurton posted:

Most of the first season of Railgun takes place pre first season of Index, the series actually ends at about just before the sisters arc of Index with the OVA happening almost directly after it.

edit: the sisters arc for people who haven't watched Index is the arc during which the main character of that show Toma beats the crap out of the awesome Accelerator there by solving the problem Misaka had of her cloned sisters were being slaughtered on mass to produce some hosed up level six esper. It's also because of this that Misaka actually starts to really like Toma.

The Sisters Arc takes place over Index episodes 10 through 14, for those who haven't watched Index at all or just want a refresher going into this season.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Seeing Accelerator in that OP is making me excited. He's probably my favorite character in the series. I can't wait to watch this.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
Well, that was quick. UTW's sub is up now! :woop:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Is this series worth watching just for the comedy elements? I usually don't watch action-based shows.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Parpy posted:

Well, that was quick. UTW's sub is up now! :woop:

Watched it. Loved that the entire episode was basically a set up to show off some badassery. First episode and we are already railgunning helicopters full of kidnappers from freefall.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The first episode was good, makes me wonder if they'll bookend this run the way they did the first run with Saten doing something to show she is as badass as any of the espers, I really hope they do.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm going to be incredibly disappointed if the creepy blond girl doesn't get punched this season. Preferably by Accelerator and through a building.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
This gif is probably what you were referring to anyway but gently caress it, it deserves to be posted:

(This is from Index, season 2 I think)

Accelerator really is the best character in this franchise. He gets even better in the light novels, and I really think he's legitimately an interesting well-written character, which is more than you can say for most in Raildex.

Anyway, good first episode. All the reintroductions captured the major points of each character, and we got a pretty battle scene featuring upside-down railgun fire. The OP is also as good as we've come to expect from this series.

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 13, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, honestly the only parts of the franchise I really like are Kuroko, Accelerator, and the Misaka clones.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Raenir Salazar posted:

But she sounds seventy. :(

Maaaaaaaaybe in Japanese she does, but I don't think I've heard this pulled off well in a dub (not saying all dubs are bad). She's supposed to be a kid, at any rate, so I don't mind her sounding like one. Either way she's a teleporting little creeper.

I don't find the Index dub to be offensive, in fact I find it to be actually pretty enjoyable. I was more worried about Accelerator's casting. I don't think there's an English-speaking VA in the business right now that can recreate what the original actor did for Accelerator, but I did find that the guy they picked did a pretty good version of everyone's favorite sister-killer.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given what I heard of her in the Index dub, I kinda worry about how Kuroko is going to sound in Railgun with her trips into crazy lesbian land.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Sindai posted:

I'm going to be incredibly disappointed if the creepy blond girl doesn't get punched this season. Preferably by Accelerator and through a building.

I'm thinking that Toma will probably help Misaka during that one since he'll probably be able to just touch people to remove her creepy mind control crap.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly, if they keep Touma to being the Tuxedo Mask to Misaka's Sailor Moon (In that he's there to throw roses NULL:ALL punches and not much else) then I think i'll live with this arrangement.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Given what I heard of her in the Index dub, I kinda worry about how Kuroko is going to sound in Railgun with her trips into crazy lesbian land.

Trips? She is a long-time inhabitant of crazy lesbian land and seldom leaves.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Trips? She is a long-time inhabitant of crazy lesbian land and seldom leaves.

I mean when comparing Index to Railgun.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

ConanThe3rd posted:

I mean when comparing Index to Railgun.

I do hope you realize that in both shows she is the exact same character. The only reason we don't see her being all crazy lesbian in the Index anime is because Misaka is not the main character in Index, therefore interaction with her is at a minimum. This is also the reason why Index and also Touma aren't as annoying/whiny in Railgun as they have a lot less screen time.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, looks like it's going to carry on with the mix of serious and silly I like. "Oh no, my bag got taken by desperate criminals, better fly across the city and blow them up!" And I like that they've decided Kuroko can straight-up fly now. I mean, she was a bit like that in the first season, but this episode it was just ridiculous. :allears:

Mind-Control girl is just as crazy in her introduction here as she is in the manga. But man, people are stupid about her. "Hmm, I wonder if the girl who can control minds might be controlling people's minds? Nah, can't be." :v:

I like Accelerator, but good lord I can not stand his loving laugh. It's awful. Apart from that, he's pretty great.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Myurton posted:

I do hope you realize that in both shows she is the exact same character. The only reason we don't see her being all crazy lesbian in the Index anime is because Misaka is not the main character in Index, therefore interaction with her is at a minimum. This is also the reason why Index and also Touma aren't as annoying/whiny in Railgun as they have a lot less screen time.

Yeah, that's what I meant. There's just not enough time for hilarity to ensue with Kuroko in Index and that's why we haven't heard her dub VA have to act those siutaitons out.

McDragon posted:

Oh, looks like it's going to carry on with the mix of serious and silly I like. "Oh no, my bag got taken by desperate criminals, better fly across the city and blow them up!" And I like that they've decided Kuroko can straight-up fly now. I mean, she was a bit like that in the first season, but this episode it was just ridiculous. :allears:
Well unless she's got a limit to how much she can bamf then she practically can.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

McDragon posted:

I like Accelerator, but good lord I can not stand his loving laugh. It's awful. Apart from that, he's pretty great.

But that's like his whole thing. Huge jerk, huge jerkface laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

His laugh is meant to be awful. Thats the entire point he wouldn't work as well without the creepy jerkface laugh.

• Locked thread