Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

milktwice posted:

But how do giant titans fit into this? Gigantism?

It may have a smaller titan in it's neck, with the "pilot" in the smaller titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's titans all the way down.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Paracelsus posted:

It's titans all the way down.

The big twist at the end of the manga will be when they cut open Armin and find a smaller person in his neck.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The old human society had a class system where whenever you needed a titan, you just grabbed a poor guy and titanized him. Then an upper class guy would step in to keep it in line. At some point things went bad and whatever causes titanism got loose and they had to move into the walls.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

It may have a smaller titan in it's neck, with the "pilot" in the smaller titan.

So gurren lagann?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wait, when is the next chapter supposed to go up?

e: I seriously can't tell what's going on in half of the panels on the raw, but :stare:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 11, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Last month's issue?

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
It's tough to get a chapter that's almost straight shounen when there's a monthly wait, but at least it's well-drawn? This art in this comic has come a loooong way in three years.

Still holding out for Exposition Fairy Eren to remember the real secret weakness of the Armored Titan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Serious Frolicking posted:

Another big problem with the idea that every titan has a pilot is the existence of roughly human-sized titans.

No, that theory I mentioned posited that as a normal titan such as Eren's absorbs the human inside of it, they get smaller themselves. So once the human is entirely absorbed, the Titan becomes basically human-sized.

Maybe. I dunno.

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

...the Titan becomes basically human-sized.

So all the titans will inevitably all turn into zombies?
I knew this manga was too good to be true.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
We've already seen how horrible it can be when someone is attacked by human-sized Titans. At least a building-sized Titan will kill you in one or two bites.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

No, that theory I mentioned posited that as a normal titan such as Eren's absorbs the human inside of it, they get smaller themselves. So once the human is entirely absorbed, the Titan becomes basically human-sized.

Maybe. I dunno.

The smallest titans are very uncommon compared to the others, and have displayed no distinctive traits aside from their size. If this is an inevitable occurrence, then why are most titans much larger than humans?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a mystery!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

milktwice posted:

So all the titans will inevitably all turn into zombies?
I knew this manga was too good to be true.
And then Eren was a zombie.

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

And then Eren was a zombie.

Slowly this manga will begin to change tone and become high school of the dead.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Surprised no one commented on this, unless I'm the only one seeing it :v:

This also really reminds me of a painting, but I can't place it at all.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I saw it too but didn't mention it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Are you kidding? The entire concept of Titans seems inspired by that one painting. It'd be foolhardy to not homage it at some point.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Next Chapter!

http://www.mangapark.com/manga/attack-on-titan/c44/1

Wrasslin'

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
drat, i was right. headlock in to a trip, followed by an arm lock, and then a guillotine off ryner's double leg

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo, the anime better get to this point in a future season.

That one panel makes the skeleton titan look like it's coming out of the wall, but that can't be right, can it? Have we seen that titan before?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

^The "skeleton titan" is the colossal titan since the start of the series, it just didn't manifest its lower body to fit onto the wall in the last chapter. Edit:Also its giving off heat which seems to be evaporating his flesh
Also 60 meter body press :aaaaa:

Demicol fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 13, 2013

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo, the anime better get to this point in a future season.

That one panel makes the skeleton titan look like it's coming out of the wall, but that can't be right, can it? Have we seen that titan before?

That's Bertholdt.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Haha I'm dying? Well whatever I feel like poo poo anyway. Great protagonist.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Goddammit Annie. Why did I have to care so much about you before things took the turns they did?

Mikasa totally won but only because Annie threw the fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That was the best fight this manga has had.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The fight started to remind me of Edward vs. Greed in FMA, when Ryner's armor cracked. And now that I think of it, this is just like 2 Homunculi fighting.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Good job team who was supposed to pay attention to the Colossal Titan. "Lets watch this cool titan fight down there instead of doing our jobs :downs:"

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

That was the best fight this manga has had.

It was amazing and then I read the translation "we can do no jack like this!!!" and it got even more wonderful.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So any guesses on how exactly the Titans are getting inside the walls? I'm guessing the tunnel network which was built/maintained by the people who founded the city, in some form of conjunction with the people who can become Titans.

I also really hope this isn't some horseshit conspiracy about why humanity needs a common foe and the Giants were made to force everyone come together. Or at least if there is the characters rightly call the people out for being bat-loving-insane pretentious assholes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

frajaq posted:

Good job team who was supposed to pay attention to the Colossal Titan. "Lets watch this cool titan fight down there instead of doing our jobs :downs:"

It's not like they could do much, seems like the Colossal titan had a cloud of steam around it that meant no one could get close.

mind the walrus posted:

So any guesses on how exactly the Titans are getting inside the walls? I'm guessing the tunnel network which was built/maintained by the people who founded the city, in some form of conjunction with the people who can become Titans.

It was implied people from the villages were turning into titans somehow. Probably from the hairy titan.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 13, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Attack on Titan Thread: Giant MMA League

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

We can do no jack like this!!!

:allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

DrSunshine posted:

Attack on Titan Thread: Giant MMA League
And they say BJJ doesn't work. :colbert:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I also really hope this isn't some horseshit conspiracy about why humanity needs a common foe and the Giants were made to force everyone come together. Or at least if there is the characters rightly call the people out for being bat-loving-insane pretentious assholes.

Earlier in the story this origin for the titans was brought up, only to be immediately dismissed as some kind of pleasant fairy tale, as it's very clear that even with the titan threat humanity hasn't come together. I believe that was the writer winking at the audience and saying "nope, I'm not going to make a twist that terrible".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I do hope you're right Mr. Nikolai Satan sir. But still, between the giants in the walls; Sasquatch Titan; Eren's father; Annie; the new smaller Titans that may or may not be local residents; and now the Child Soldier Titans it makes me wonder how the gently caress all of it could be tied together in any cohesive way.

I still like this series a hell of a lot. That's just why I'm making the criticism.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I need a refresher on the timeline of events. Did the training flashback in the current chapter take place before or after Eren found out about his ability?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

There's obviously 2 factions of titans. The ones that the traitors belong to, and some other faction that's more or less hostile to humans but not as aware of them (the hairy titan faction). Erens dad happened to leave town on a trip the day the wall broke and has never been seen again. I'd hypothesize that Erens dad likely knew the town was going to get attacked and that he was working for the traitor Titan faction. While he was working for them he was probably sneaking over Titan tech stuff and using it on his own son.

I'm betting that since the walls are also titan derived, there was probably some event of the real titans (hairy dudes faction) showing up and humanity being forced to emulate the titans which held off the real titans while they formed the walls. After that things might have degenerated amongst the human-titan faction where there was a split leading up to the breaking of the wall in the 1st chapter. This could be due to some rift, maybe the traitor faction split off from the human-titan faction because they want all humans to be forced to convert into titans. Maybe the conversion only works a small percentage of the time and they figure best to employ eugenics and get rid of humans that cant transform at will. That last part doesn't quite fit, but I can't think of a better reason yet. Interesting story all the same, can't wait for the author to reveal what's going on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Daler Mehndi posted:

I need a refresher on the timeline of events. Did the training flashback in the current chapter take place before or after Eren found out about his ability?

Before. It's from back when everyone was still training to be a soldier. Eren found out about his titan power after they'd graduated and chosen squads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I didn't think Eren had a chance.
I love how what's given Eren an advantage is his human capability to learn and train.

Elemennop posted:

i really hope Eren starts doing some wrestling and brazilian jiu-jitsu on Rayner, goes for a double leg, passes gaurd, gets a mounted triangle and once he realizes titans don't need to breathe switches to an arm bar where he rips it off

God drat, man.