Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

quote:

e: To elaborate a little more, I think that if say, Game of Thrones (tv) were to end this season but still accurately adapt the book, a lot of people wouldn't like being told that they should read the books if they wanted closure.

I still remember being mad as frick when the original Matrix masterpiece film wrapped up and it looked like it was going to be up to me and my creative writing class to resolve all the unanswered questions, esp. since every screenplay Joey hacked off the net was an obvious fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Cake Attack posted:

It's working for me, so it seems like it's legitimate. Does Funimation normally put out Blu-rays for any shows they stream, or are some shows streaming only? I mean, it's popular enough that I imagine it's a non-issue, but still.

Some of their more obscure shows get relegated to Stream-only, like Tatami Galaxy, but I seriously doubt Attack on Titan would not get a Blu-Ray release from them eventually if they do in fact have the license.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011
Are there any groups subbing this that don't use Karaeoke or honorifics?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Niccy Bones posted:

Are there any groups subbing this that don't use Karaeoke or honorifics?

Commie and gg

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, there are some shows they stream that they haven't released a disc version of yet, such as Fujiko.

Fujiko has a BD announced and will be coming out later this year. It simply takes a bit more time with Funimation because they have actual quality control they try to follow unlike Sentai Filmworks that can get stuff out fast because they decided things like "checking to make sure subs aren't chockfull of errors" and "making sure all dub parts are actually dubbed" are done. (Yes, Sentai has done that a couple of times where they completely forgot to dub in a line, Golgo 13 and Bodacious Space Pirates to my knowledge)

The only stuff Funimation tends to not pick up for disc release is really obscure stuff that can't handle the cost of dubbing which is a requirement for all their releases.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Redcrimson posted:

Some of their more obscure shows get relegated to Stream-only, like Tatami Galaxy, but I seriously doubt Attack on Titan would not get a Blu-Ray release from them eventually if they do in fact have the license.

The Tatami Galaxy got a DVD release.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

House Louse posted:

The Tatami Galaxy got a DVD release.

It didn't actually, at least not in a region Funimation actually matters in or I'd own like ten million copies of it by now.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

The only stuff Funimation tends to not pick up for disc release is really obscure stuff that can't handle the cost of dubbing which is a requirement for all their releases.
If CR was bidding for it then I would think that the price would have been bidded up, if it wasn't high from the get-go. That combined with the fan anticipation are, I would think, positive indicators that they have to do a disc release to make sure its revenue justifies the license. Not to mention the obvious fact that discs are funi's main business.

It would be Incredibly bizarre for funi to not do a disc release, frankly. Unless the series, against all expectations, and with great effort, ruins itself, I think it warrants a high degree of confidence: there will be a disc release.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Uznare posted:

It didn't actually, at least not in a region Funimation actually matters in or I'd own like ten million copies of it by now.

Yeah only in Australia IIRC.

Last time they were on the ANNCast they were asked about it and they basically said there's no way they're doing a physical release. I really wish they could make an exception to their rule that all of their titles must have dubs; I want to give them my money but they're not letting me!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If CR was bidding for it then I would think that the price would have been bidded up, if it wasn't high from the get-go. That combined with the fan anticipation are, I would think, positive indicators that they have to do a disc release to make sure its revenue justifies the license. Not to mention the obvious fact that discs are funi's main business.

It would be Incredibly bizarre for funi to not do a disc release, frankly. Unless the series, against all expectations, and with great effort, ruins itself, I think it warrants a high degree of confidence: there will be a disc release.

I don't know why you quoted me on that? I agree that more than likely there will be a disc release for this, and I was stating that the only stuff that has been the case where Funimation hasn't done a physical release for their shows is in cases like Rainbow and Tatami Galaxy where they would take a loss on bringing it out mainly due to dubbing a niche show.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Uznare posted:

Huh. I assumed a UK release automatically meant a series had a US release, but...

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I'm told CR passed on this because it cost too much per episode ($8k or something) though I don't really have any source for that other than hearsay so take it as you will.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."

House Louse posted:

Huh. I assumed a UK release automatically meant a series had a US release, but...
Oh man, they really did release it on DVD in the UK? picking that poo poo up asap.

Battle Strudel
Jan 1, 2010

Giant Enemy Cliche posted:

Oh man, they really did release it on DVD in the UK? picking that poo poo up asap.

Yeah, Beez did a box set. It's sub only, so I guess that's why funi didn't put it out in the US. But it also has the extra shorts and an interview and stuff, it's well worth grabbing.

I really hope someone else gets the rights for Attack on Titan quickly if Funi pick it up though, seeing as they tend to region block their stuff for the UK. Anime on Demand seem to grab a lot of what Crunchroll misses but not everything, and I really want to see the rest of this! :ohdear:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

It's pretty hard to believe that this won't get licensed, it must be the biggest new series this season. I'd be equally surprised if AnimeonDemand license it, because they mostly seem to get CR's leftovers - in fact I don't think they've licensed anything this season.

Giant Enemy Cliche posted:

Yes! Happy to help :):

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Well, the official announcement just came down. Funimation has begun streaming Attack on Titan through their subscription service.

quote:

April 12, 2013 – FLOWER MOUND, TX – FUNimation Entertainment announced today that it has acquired the SVOD rights for the highly anticipated anime series — Attack on Titan. The 25 episode post-apocalyptic series is directed by Tetsuro Araki (Guilty Crown and Highschool of the Dead) and from the studio behind the Ghost in the Shell series (Production I.G.)

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I've been hankering for a good series to delve into for a long time, and although I'm normally a fan of mecha anime (last series I really got into was Gurren Lagann and Gundam00, and Fate/Zero oddly enough), this already has my undivided attention. I normally don't give anime more than 2 episodes to get me hooked after some other bad experiences, which has worked out pretty well for me, and after one episode this definitely has that special something to it - probably somewhere between the awesome 3D gear or whatever it's called and the sheer terror as helpless victims get bitten in half by gigantic humanoid titans.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Scouting Legion? Survey Corps? Recon Corps?

I think this one fits the best of all, actually.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Holy crap, I don't know how they did it (probably money and pushiness), but it will be streaming on Crunchyroll! That can't have been cheap to pick up.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
First no one could stream the show and now everyone be streaming the show. Works for me as I'm skillfull on getting guest passes each week.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Phobophilia posted:

Sounds reasonable, that should fit neatly somewhere inside Central Europe. Jaeger is a German surname, Eren is a Turkish name, which makes sense because there's tons of ties between Turkey and Germany.

Is Mikasa German or Turkish? :v:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Mikasa is clearly Spanish.:rimshot:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Mikasa's surname is Ackerman which sounds like a garbled version of Swedish "Åkerman"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Holy crap, I don't know how they did it (probably money and pushiness), but it will be streaming on Crunchyroll! That can't have been cheap to pick up.
Finally, a reason to keep my sub after the disappointing Maoyu.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

It probably helps that they've only got a comparitively small number of places they are streaming it to, basically North America and the British Isles.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Anime_Otaku posted:

It probably helps that they've only got a comparitively small number of places they are streaming it to, basically North America and the British Isles.

I'm not sure that would impact the price, especially since those are the primary markets anyway (minus a few significant ones). That limitation is usually indicative of a sublicense, so there had to have been some magic behind the scenes. The most likely scenario is probably getting MBS (or whoever on the production committee held the licensing rights) to push Funi to sublicense to CR.

If Attack on Titan does really well on Crunchyroll, I think it will bode well for future partnerships and licenses.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I haven't watched anime in what feels like a decade. Now that this show is picked up I assume YouTube links are :filez: now. What is the best way for a Canadian like me to keep up with this series? Do I subscribe to Crunchyroll or Funimation?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well Crunchyroll doesn't have Attack on Titan in Germany. Just a warning. Those license deals can be very regional.

BUT:

quote:

Attack on Titan will be available to Crunchyroll viewers in the following territories: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Ireland.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/04/12/crunchyroll-to-stream-attack-on-titan-anime

You are lucky. :)

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Housh posted:

I haven't watched anime in what feels like a decade. Now that this show is picked up I assume YouTube links are :filez: now. What is the best way for a Canadian like me to keep up with this series? Do I subscribe to Crunchyroll or Funimation?

Since the show is licenced for Canada by Crunchyroll you can get it for free on there if you wait a week.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's in the UK? Woop-woop-woop!

Just hope there isn't too huge a gap between it airing in Japan and it airing on Crunchyroll (looking at you, Fate/zero).

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

It's in the UK? Woop-woop-woop!

Just hope there isn't too huge a gap between it airing in Japan and it airing on Crunchyroll (looking at you, Fate/zero).

Nope. Episode 1 and 2 should be caught up this weekend.

Crunchyroll brand manager posted:

Attack on Titan will broadcast every Sunday afternoon pacific time starting on April 14 with episode 1, and 2 for premium members - with an exact broadcast time to be confirmed at a later point - to the following territories: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Ireland. Free users will be able to view Attack on Titan one week after initial broadcast.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 13, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is great news!

Also I've rewatched the first episode a few times, and I really have to say, it may be one of the strongest first showings of any series I've seen. Is there another comparative-length show that has such an impressive first episode? Having trouble thinking of one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Invictus posted:

Also I've rewatched the first episode a few times, and I really have to say, it may be one of the strongest first showings of any series I've seen. Is there another comparative-length show that has such an impressive first episode? Having trouble thinking of one.

I can think of a fair number, actually, but most of them turned out disappointing in the long run. Star Driver comes to mind in particular.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, I never watched that after I heard it didn't live up to the initial hype.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Well Crunchyroll doesn't have Attack on Titan in Germany. Just a warning. Those license deals can be very regional.

BUT:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/04/12/crunchyroll-to-stream-attack-on-titan-anime

You are lucky. :)

Surely a VPN can work around this dilemma of yours. I have used Spotflux and Tunnelbear and prefer the former.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can think of a fair number, actually, but most of them turned out disappointing in the long run. Star Driver comes to mind in particular.

I had the opposite reaction with that show. :v:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Captain Invictus posted:

That is great news!

Gurren Lagann is a pretty obvious candidate, the scene where they break through to the surface is still amazing even after multiple rewatches. I can't think of many other two-cour shows though.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Also Shinsekai Yori, Mawaru Penguindrum, Cowboy Bebop.
Futakoi Alternative had a pretty amazing first episode, but then it had 11 boring episodes and was only one season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Samurai Champloo's first episode is one of its best.

• Locked thread