Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Softface posted:

After only three weeks of Russian Refresher they threw me into the DLPT after a year and some weeks of Farsi. If I pull this off it'll be among the greatest things I've ever done.

e: Oh hey look at that I passed. 2/2+ time to start rolling in the sweet, sweet bonus pay.

Congrats man. Theres not too many people who get such an opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I'm hearing that ATP airmen @ DLI now have a 0200-0400 curfew on Fridays and Saturdays due to the illustrious record of sexual harassment in tech school (as well as underage drinking, hotel parties, and all the other, less-important problems) and that also the teal rope program is coming to DLI.

I think my personal favorite rumor that's made it to the civilian world was about the airman that stripped nude in front of the marine barracks.

Man DLI went to poo poo after I left

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
The new curfew is true. Also marines have curfew at 2200 on Friday, 2400 on sat and have to have a battle buddy when they leave post

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm in Monterey this week for some NPS stuff and I looking for some good places to eat. I got a pretty good reply from one of the guys in the Navy thread but I figured it'd be kind of silly not to ask in here as well.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

vulturesrow posted:

I'm in Monterey this week for some NPS stuff and I looking for some good places to eat. I got a pretty good reply from one of the guys in the Navy thread but I figured it'd be kind of silly not to ask in here as well.

It's been a long time, but I'll tell you what I can about my old favorites. There's a really good breakfast restaurant across from the Mucky Duck, in downtown, but I can't remember the name. Someone else should be able to help. Also, if you want the best sandwich of your life check out Campagnos, right outside one of the secondary gates onto post. There's a good sushi place on the bay, and a good Chinese restaurant downtown called Full Moon.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012

ryan_woody posted:

...Campagnos...
Also, you get to have an intense and mildly erotic hand shake with Bennett. It's right outside the Bolio gate for the POM, nestled in a neighborhood. Sammiches the size of your head and one shot diabetes cake.

Monterey wise, there's that breakfast place is next to The Duck Also, and a pretty good Thai place over near the post office. The curry's what you'll want to look for there. There was a chicken place called Bird on a Wire over across from The Duck, but I'm pretty sure it was closed in 2009. Over towards the convention center there's some persian/indian stuff. I liked Indian Summer, but it was more of an outdoor hookah place/bar. Fisherman's Wharf is near there, but it's a tourist trap, so I would suggest not even giving it the time of day. If you're looking for chains just because, there's some generic places (CPK and PF Changs, etc) at the Del Monty Center. It's also about as close to a mall as you'll get outside of Salinas. Cannery Row's there for you I guess... El Torino's is good Mexican?*

Seaside's close to NPS, and tends to be good and cheap. There's a Korean place there that's good who's name escapes me in English, and an good BBQ place by Cali standards. There's also a Black Bear Diner there if you're craving pancakes. Pacific Grove has a short ton of good places to eat and is usually pretty quiet, particularly on Lighthouse St. Pick a place at random there and you'll most likely be happy.

If you're willing to drive, Carmel's got Friar Tuck's where you can get a drat fine omelet and watch the owner amuse children/the retarded guy that comes in with a talking deer head. Pebble Beach's Restaurant's nice but wallet threatening. Marina's a bit closer, and has some good Korean places. Salinas has Steinbeck and gang violence.

*All of this is dated to mid 2008, at which time half of Alvarado St in Monterey was still burned down. There's probably a ton more places there.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
In the navy thread I forgot to mention cannery row brewing company. Three words for you: triple truffle fries. Also pretty good beers. Otherwise stay off cannery row. If you want Mexican drive the seven minutes into salinas spin around randomly and you'll find better Mexican than anything in Monterey or pacific grove.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

vulturesrow posted:

Yama Sushi at the Del Monte Center. Best sushi I have ever had (including in Japan) and very moderately priced (about $10-$15 for two rolls). Also $1.99 sake bombs which amount to a premium sake shot in about 1/4th glass of Stella Artois. You can't do better.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Oh! Sushi was the best place ever. Looks like it's still around. Crystal Fish is good for sushi as well, but not quite as good. Bird on a Wire was great, sad to hear that it's closed. Are any of the bars still around? I heard Mucky Duck is gone and that other one, but idk. The best Thai food is going to be at Baan Thai in Sand City, though. Everything else sucked. RG Burger is great as well.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Mucky Duck is definitely not gone, DLI students still go there to make awful decisions and end up paying more than they expected. I'd highly suggest the aforementioned Cannery Row Brewing Company, and if for some reason you want to experience the weekend life of one of us sad nerds go to the Duck or Duffy's, the latter is just a few steps outside of Taylor Gate. Yes, people call DD from there.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I finally hit up Campagno's right before I left, while doing my check-out paperwork. Literally the best sandwich I ever had. The prosciutto navy special thing on dutch crunch? loving amazing.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Softface posted:

Mucky Duck is definitely not gone, DLI students still go there to make awful decisions and end up paying more than they expected. I'd highly suggest the aforementioned Cannery Row Brewing Company, and if for some reason you want to experience the weekend life of one of us sad nerds go to the Duck or Duffy's, the latter is just a few steps outside of Taylor Gate. Yes, people call DD from there.

Duffy's had aight wings, went there a few times for lunch when I was there.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Finally got my orders to leave this place! They're verbal and for this Friday, so long Stinkberg!

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Softface posted:

Finally got my orders to leave this place! They're verbal and for this Friday, so long Stinkberg!

Cya bro. The patio crew will miss you.

Atall
May 23, 2012

Softface posted:

You'll miss it. I've been trying for a year to get back there.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Atall posted:

You'll miss it. I've been trying for a year to get back there.

You want to come back here? I don't hear that too often.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

You'll understand once you leave

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah I kinda want to go back right now. Goodfellow is a sandblasted hellhole and the temperature can change 60 degrees in one day. Plus the AF is loving me so hard I could file a SARC complaint but that's nothing new.

On the plus side you make loving BANK at follow-on training for the Air Force.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
Yeah I miss DLI sometimes. Was there from '10 to '11 and practically lived at the PX patio the whole time.

I couldn't do it again, not after flying. Plus my squadron has beer:30 every Friday so its almost like the patio crew, except its with my coworkers and command and the alcohol is free.

Kardiac Kid
Apr 24, 2008

TheUnhorse posted:

You'll understand once you leave

Left in 1992, I would move back tomorrow.

Atall
May 23, 2012

Super Camper posted:

You want to come back here? I don't hear that too often.

I'm coming up on my fourth tour to Afghanistan, so DLI is heaven for me. I'd go back for Dari or staff to get back there in any capacity.

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.
Well, they just issued the first few teal ropes here yesterday. I actually know half of them. Not sure what the hell the teal rope program is supposed to accomplish, since introducing your peers into an already touchy subject seems a bit odd. Anyway, thought ya'll might be curious. It has spread to the West Coast.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Saw that myself the other day. Not sure I'd trust any of those kids when it comes to any issues a teal rope would "handle."

Not really sure of the point. But then again, with regards to the USAF and DLI, I'm not quite sure I ever was.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Professor Bling posted:

Saw that myself the other day. Not sure I'd trust any of those kids when it comes to any issues a teal rope would "handle."

Not really sure of the point. But then again, with regards to the USAF and DLI, I'm not quite sure I ever was.

No I wouldn't either. They seem far too young and unqualified to handle or discuss something that can potentially be a felony. The majority of them most likely applied to the program just to add another item to the bullet sheet.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
I'm heading here in September with the Army. How exactly do they determine what language I get anyway? I can never seem to get a straight answer from my recruiters, as I'm their first ever 35P from our lovely little region in Alabama. Of course, that could just be recruiters being recruiters.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
I have no idea how it works for IET. For careerist we chose our language before going. It all depends on your DLAB score and slots really I have seen kids moved from company to company until they found them a slot in a class language that was starting up.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Silvance posted:

I'm heading here in September with the Army. How exactly do they determine what language I get anyway? I can never seem to get a straight answer from my recruiters, as I'm their first ever 35P from our lovely little region in Alabama. Of course, that could just be recruiters being recruiters.

As faddypaddy said, it all depends on what your score was and what the Army needs to fill at the time/whatever they can throw you into. I think like 15 of the 35 soldiers I came with from my basic found out they didn't even have class seats so they had to wait a bit or get a language switch. But honestly, your recruiters are not being shifty on you, when you get to basic your drill sgts are probably going to be the same way about 35Ps, as in, won't know much at all about it.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
What they said. I had friends who came in as Korean, and were popped into Spanish a week before their class start dates due to spots being open. I'm honestly going to say it's about 75% open seats.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
I got a 141 on the DLAB, so I'll most likely get a CAT IV language I assume. Do they still do Russian, CHinese, and Japanese, or is it mostly Arabic and Korean now, as far as CAT IV goes?

Silvance fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 20, 2013

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Russian is rare, Japanese is non-existent. Arabic is getting de-emphasized in favor of Farsi, and I think there was talk of changing Farsi to cat 4. So probably Farsi, Chinese, or Korean would be my guess.

mind is moving
Nov 7, 2009

If you have access to AKO or some sort of military email, you might get an ATRRS notification when you're enrolled into a class at DLI (I got one a couple weeks into basic)

Also, take a careful look at the copy of the orders you receive when you're leaving basic, myself and every 35P coming out of Ft. Jackson when I graduated had a two letter language code at the bottom of our orders. The last line looked like this

"Solider will train in class
00ZS/01KP-P"

KP being Korean, RU for Russian, CM for Chinese-Mandarin, etc.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

The talk of changing Farsi to Cat 4 was going on before I started class, and I bet it will be "going on" for another decade, unless an official statement has been issued.

In other news of talk, the commander at Goodfellow is looking into whether Air Force DLItes should still get sweet, sweet TDY pay while here. That gravy train may dry up soon, killing the only worthwhile thing about leaving DLI.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Probably has to to with the millions that were jut shilled out in the 1N3/1A8 back pay spree.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Softface posted:

The talk of changing Farsi to Cat 4 was going on before I started class, and I bet it will be "going on" for another decade, unless an official statement has been issued.

Probably true, but they did just lower the FLP pay on Arabic to a base of 150/month for a 2/2 I think.

Atall
May 23, 2012

Black Balloon posted:

Probably true, but they did just lower the FLP pay on Arabic to a base of 150/month for a 2/2 I think.

Can you back this up? I've not heard this to be true.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
There was a coast guard pay chart that said $150/month for 2 combos, but it said it was effective as FY2012. And, well, coasties. Who knows.

Ironman
Jun 19, 2001
If you see this text that means I'm not working.
So they waivered my 98 DLAB score because of college French and Spanish classes I've passed. I'm feeling more and more like I may not be cut for DLI as my ship date for basic approaches. Should I be worried? Will I be looked at as stupid because of my score? I think that I could have done much better.

Ironman fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 20, 2013

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Scores only matter for selecting language, and class start dates tend to trump that even.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

Ironman posted:

So they waivered my 98 DLAB score because of college French and Spanish classes I've passed. I'm feeling more and more like I may not be cut for DLI as my ship date for basic approaches. Should I be worried? Will I be looked at as stupid because of my score? I think that I could have done much better.

First off the DLAB is a horrible indicator of how well you will do. Secondly just work your rear end off and you will be fine. DLI isn't hard so much as some people just stop giving a gently caress or never did. I didn't see a single person while I was there who legitimately put work in and didn't pass. It won't be easy it is a lot work but if you do it, it's not that hard to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Atall posted:

Can you back this up? I've not heard this to be true.

I can't find anything at the moment with google, but I'll double-check it at work on monday. And it may just be for the navy. I heard it a few weeks ago but didn't pay a whole lot of attention since it doesn't affect me, but I'll ask some people who would know.

• Locked thread