Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I bought an RB951 to provide wireless in the office. I gave it its own nic on our pfsense box and set up ospf. Routing table on the routerboard looks like this:

code:
[admin@MikroTik] /ip route> print
Flags: X - disabled, A - active, D - dynamic,
C - connect, S - static, r - rip, b - bgp, o - ospf, m - mme,
B - blackhole, U - unreachable, P - prohibit
 #      DST-ADDRESS        PREF-SRC        GATEWAY            DISTANCE
 0 ADo  0.0.0.0/0                          192.168.20.1            110
 1 ADo  192.168.0.0/24                     192.168.20.1            110
 2 ADC  192.168.20.0/30    192.168.20.2    ether1                    0
 3 ADC  192.168.20.128/26  192.168.20.129  wlan1                     0
 4 ADC  192.168.20.192/26  192.168.20.193  companyname               0
Companyname is a virtual ap. I can connect to it or wlan1 with my phone and access everything on 192.168.0.0. I can't get any traffic to the internet. Using ping and traceroute from winbox to a few ips on the internet works fine. There are no firewall rules on the routerboard and pfsense has a pass everything rule.

Any ideas on where to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

ManicJason posted:

Am I still the only person with nightmarish Apple vs. Mikrotik issues? I see tons of people on other forums complaining about the same since iOS 6 on something like 50% of the Apple wireless radios (all Broadcom, I believe.) There are recommendations about changing pre-amble settings and explicitly setting the protocol as 802.11, but all of my Apple devices (MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPhone 4) get 100% packet loss at random intervals between a minute of use and 30 minutes of use even after messing with those settings. Rarely it will fix itself after five minutes or so, but it is always fixed by turning the wireless radio off and back on on the Apple device.

At this point, I'd say Mikrotik devices are totally incompatible with Apple. I'm about ready to throw my Mikrotik out the window and go back to crappy consumer wireless routers :(

edit: to clarify, these issues are all 100% Apple issues. It sounds like the issue now is that TKIP totally breaks Apple devices and AES has a bug that kills the connection after a certain time on half of Apple's devices.

I'm glad I'm not going insane then. I don't yet have a MikroTik router, but I've been noticing issues with iOS devices connecting to my current wireless network and I'm using WPA-2 with AES. If I can even get the device to connect (usually after telling it to keep trying because I know it's the correct password), it will stay connected for a while but then eventually drop off. It will then repeat the process of me having to try again and again. I eventually just gave up on it. If I see the same issues with the MikroTik then at least I know it's not going to be the router's fault. Apple needs to get their poo poo together.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

thebigcow posted:

Add a bridge between the wlan1 and ether1 (whatever you have the pfsense plugged into). The unit won't do it by default. That should get traffic moving between the wlan and the ethernet interfaces.

ManicJason - In general I haven't noticed any particular issues with my RB751 and my iPhone or iPod Touch. Both seem to do fine with wireless. Then again, I stopped upgrading iOS because I'm mad at Apple for the dumb things they do with each version.

At work we've noticed the same thing you have - many Apple products are starting to act seriously buggy with MikroTik gear. One solution we found is to turn on WPA and WPA2 with both TKIP and AES as options. Then turn off 802.11n by setting the card to B/G modes and now you should be working smoothly again.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I heard that disabling TKIP and only allowing AES helped, though that was likely just for the bug that was fixed in the second iOS 6 update.

I'll try turning off N if I have it on and will report back if it is a miracle fix. It may also be worth reactivating TKIP on the off chance that that particular bug was fixed. I had been ignoring all of these issues by hard-wiring, but I just moved to a place where that will be impractical.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
It was already forwarding packets to other networks on the pfsense box.

I tried adding the bridge, still wasn't able to get to the internet but winbox closed and couldn't reconnect until I used ssh from the pfsense box and removed the bridge. :iiam:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

thebigcow posted:

I tried adding the bridge, still wasn't able to get to the internet but winbox closed and couldn't reconnect until I used ssh from the pfsense box and removed the bridge. :iiam:

Sorry, I wasn't following your example very well. Looking at it further I don't know why in the hell you're setting things up the way you are. It's seriously puzzling. Why are you running OSPF on this tiny little box? Is it meant to be a wireless bridge or are you trying to make it a router of some sort? Does it hand out DHCP or otherwise interact at the IP level with the wireless clients?

To my eyes that seems a strangely overkill use of the unit when you can make it into a wireless bridge and let your pfsense box handle all the heavy lifting as far as the networking goes.

I'd love to know more about why you're setting it up the way you are.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I started out wanting just a wireless bridge. Then I thought about running a virtual ap with another network just for guests at the office that I would firewall off from our network and just allow internet access. Then I thought I should learn OSPF since I'm going to have a bunch of virtual machines running behind a pfsense vm in the near future. Then I ended up with my current mess.

Right now ether1 has a direct connection to the pfsense box and both interfaces are on a /30. wlan1 and companyname each have a /26. The routerboard is running dhcp for both wireless connections. I can get from either wireless to anything on the other side of the pfsense box without problems. I spent yesterday using xabber to message people's desktops just because I could. The only thing that doesn't work is wireless to internet, and I'm not sure where to start.

I may tear our ospf and just set static routes, or I may just make it a wireless bridge and not worry about it until I have more time.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

thebigcow posted:

Does the pfsense host have all the same goofy /30 and /26 routes back? If not, what does it have?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
code:
Codes: K - kernel route, C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, O - OSPF,
       I - ISIS, B - BGP, > - selected route, * - FIB route

K>* 0.0.0.0/0 via redacted, xl0
C>* redacted/30 is directly connected, xl0
C>* 127.0.0.0/8 is directly connected, lo0
C>* 192.168.0.0/24 is directly connected, fxp0
O   192.168.20.0/30 [110/10] is directly connected, xl1, 23:04:14
C>* 192.168.20.0/30 is directly connected, xl1
O>* 192.168.20.128/26 [110/20] via 192.168.20.2, xl1, 01:55:39
O>* 192.168.20.192/26 [110/30] via 192.168.20.2, xl1, 01:55:38
Everything is there.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Adding TKIP and turning off G made no difference at all. It looks like Mikrotik and Apple just don't play together anymore, so I get to buy some other AP to setup bridged.

edit: I got some massive improvement on the time between failures by going back to 802.11B/G/N, specifying only long preamble-mode, and changing channels to the opposite end of the spectrum. Only changing the channel made a marked difference, but there isn't a lot of traffic on the original channel that I can see. I'll be delighted if it sticks to the 30 minutes or so between dying that I'm finally getting now.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 20, 2013

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I gave up and made it a simple wireless bridge :(

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I got my RB751G-2HnD all installed. I still have a few config issues for routing PPTP, but otherwise this thing is kicking the poo poo out of my old DIR-655.

My old wifi would get a bit outside of my apartment before dropping to uselessness. Now I get to the other end of the building, in my car, and I'm still just barely getting a signal, through 50~ yards of building and 7 other apartments.

I'm amazed at how good a signal it has for not having an external antenna. I almost want to toss one on it now just to see what it's capable of.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

hahahah awesome.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Good lord I am tired of the RB751's and their stupid bullshit with Apple products and everyone else. I've spent the last few days tweaking and fiddling and reading the angry forums at Mikrotik.com to get some guidance on how these should be setup. Thing is, they have so drat many features that it's anyone's guess what you should change. Still, I hope the following is helpful and this constitutes the best knowledge I have for how to set one of these up for home use:

Upgrade to 5.24 firmware, then upgrade the routerboard firmware to whatever it will take. That gives a good starting platform for all of this.

Open a terminal window and paste in the following (after changing the two global variables to match your home setup):
code:
:global SSID  value="wireless"
:global WPAKEY value="home wifi" 
/int wir security-profiles add name=WPA2 authentication-types=wpa2-psk \
    management-protection=disabled mode=dynamic-keys  group-ciphers=aes-ccm \
    unicast-ciphers=aes-ccm wpa2-pre-shared-key=$WPAKEY
/int wir set wlan1 security-profile=WPA2 band=2ghz-onlyn \
    channel-width=20/40mhz-ht-above wireless-protocol=802.11 antenna-mode=ant-a \
    country="united states" ht-txchains=0,1 ht-rxchains=0,1 \
    dfs-mode=no-radar-detect distance=indoors frequency-mode=regulatory-domain \
     tx-power=11 tx-power-mode=card-rates mode=ap-bridge
If that doesn't get you going with decent speeds, or if you don't have all-N capable equipment, then roll on back to mixed mode like so:
code:
/int wir set wlan1 security-profile=WPA2 band=2ghz-b/g \
    channel-width=20mhz wireless-protocol=802.11 antenna-mode=ant-a \
    country="united states" ht-txchains=0 ht-rxchains=0 
Basically, the power levels get trimmed down a bit, it sets some antenna mode stuff for N-mode and turns it back off for mixed mode. WPA2 is used with AES exclusively. If you have gear that won't support that then it's easy to go into the wireless security profiles section and tweak things there.

Good luck, let me know if this blows up your system so I can laugh and laugh and cry and laugh some more. Oh, and this works fine on the RB951's although they only have one tx/rx chain.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 29, 2013

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I can't do N only because I have a PS3 and a receiver that won't cooperate. I've totally given up on using my Mikrotik's radio and will probably not go back to Mikrotik at all once my current router needs upgrading. It's a shame. They're very configurable, but they're worthless when they won't work with any Apple devices at all, at least when you're an Apple developer.

edit: That N configuration did totally solve my issues. I'll try out the mixed mode config and see if it has also dried my wifi tears.

edit again: Nope, mixed mode has the same issue after five minutes or so of use.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 30, 2013

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

Good lord I am tired of the RB751's and their stupid bullshit with Apple products and everyone else. I've spent the last few days tweaking and fiddling and reading the angry forums at Mikrotik.com to get some guidance on how these should be setup. Thing is, they have so drat many features that it's anyone's guess what you should change. Still, I hope the following is helpful and this constitutes the best knowledge I have for how to set one of these up for home use:

Upgrade to 5.24 firmware, then upgrade the routerboard firmware to whatever it will take. That gives a good starting platform for all of this.

Open a terminal window and paste in the following (after changing the two global variables to match your home setup):
code:
:global SSID  value="wireless"
:global WPAKEY value="home wifi" 
/int wir security-profiles add name=WPA2 authentication-types=wpa2-psk \
    management-protection=disabled mode=dynamic-keys  group-ciphers=aes-ccm \
    unicast-ciphers=aes-ccm wpa2-pre-shared-key=$WPAKEY
/int wir set wlan1 security-profile=WPA2 band=2ghz-onlyn \
    channel-width=20/40mhz-ht-above wireless-protocol=802.11 antenna-mode=ant-a \
    country="united states" ht-txchains=0,1 ht-rxchains=0,1 \
    dfs-mode=no-radar-detect distance=indoors frequency-mode=regulatory-domain \
     tx-power=11 tx-power-mode=card-rates mode=ap-bridge
If that doesn't get you going with decent speeds, or if you don't have all-N capable equipment, then roll on back to mixed mode like so:
code:
/int wir set wlan1 security-profile=WPA2 band=2ghz-b/g \
    channel-width=20mhz wireless-protocol=802.11 antenna-mode=ant-a \
    country="united states" ht-txchains=0 ht-rxchains=0 
Basically, the power levels get trimmed down a bit, it sets some antenna mode stuff for N-mode and turns it back off for mixed mode. WPA2 is used with AES exclusively. If you have gear that won't support that then it's easy to go into the wireless security profiles section and tweak things there.

Good luck, let me know if this blows up your system so I can laugh and laugh and cry and laugh some more. Oh, and this works fine on the RB951's although they only have one tx/rx chain.

Thanks for this. I just received an e-mail this week stating my RB951G-2HnD shipped from Latvia so if I have issues with Apple products I'll give your script a try.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
So I just got my first ever RouterBoard device. I'm basically just trying to understand the interface at this point. I was looking in the firewall rules and noticed some rules were created with the default setup.

Can anyone tell me what these highlighted rules are doing?

Rule 0 is to allow pinging the device.
Rule 3 is one I've created to allow winbox from outside the NAT.
Rule 4 is a catch all deny.

What are rules 1 and 2?

Edit: Bonus unrelated question, does RouterOS support firewalls between interfaces/zones? For example, can I setup firewall rules between vlans on the switch ports? I haven't looked this far into it yet.

Edit 2: Never mind, figured out the firewall rules.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 9, 2013

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Rule 1 allows established connections through, this is so when something behind your nat connects to the internet the internet can respond back. Rule 2 is for related connections, I have no idea what that is. Either right click and select detail mode, or double click on a rule and you can see that those two are only for a certain connection state.

Afaik you can firewall between interfaces. It has an input interface and output interface in the rule but I've never used it.

edit: I take a long time to type

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

thebigcow posted:

edit: I take a long time to type

Thanks for the answer. I did figure out the established connection thing but like you, I still do not know what the related is.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

IT Guy posted:

Thanks for the answer. I did figure out the established connection thing but like you, I still do not know what the related is.

I may be incorrect, but I believe "related" enables things like active mode FTP and SIP, which require new connections on dynamic ports initiated from the Internet side to function.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

That makes sense.

Unrelated, I can't seem to get a DHCP IP from my ISP whatever I try. I'm using just a default configuration, haven't changed anything but the admin password and I never get a DHCP IP from my ISP on cable. However, if I plug the ether1-gateway interface into a private network with a DHCP server, I get a DHCP IP address right away. Has anyone experienced this? I've tried rebooting the modem but it doesn't help. I don't have to do any MAC address cloning bullshit. I have a SonicWALL TZ210 that works and picks up an IP and I also have two Linksys routers (WRT54GL and a E3200) that both pickup a DHCP IP from my ISP.

I've opened a ticket with my ISP but I'm doubting they will support this.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I don't have any idea, what dhcp client settings do you have?

async1ronous
May 23, 2003

I flopped the nuts straight
Just a sanity check, do you have a dhcp client enabled on the appropriate ethernet port?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

DHCP client is on the SFP interface and the ether1-gateway interface. Modem is plugged into ether1-gateway. It's enabled and definitely works on any network except my ISP's cable that I've tested it on. I have a RB750 here at work that I'm going to bring home to make sure it's not the hardware.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I finally received my RB951G-2HnD from Latvia via USPS. Poked through this thread, some Google searching and the MikroTik wiki site in order to configure it and understand its intricacies. It's been a couple days and I finally just put it in production. I'm loving the poo poo out of this little mother fucker. I'm seriously impressed so far, it's practically light-years ahead of my old WRT54GL. I'm still working on configuring the static entries and some port forwarding but otherwise its been seamless. I didn't have to do any crazy workarounds to get iOS devices to work, either.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I could actually use some help with a couple of issues I haven't had luck resolving. The first one is probably simple. I have a static IP entry for my Windows Home Server so it always gets 192.168.88.200. The Windows Home Server has a domain on homeserver.com so it can happily associate itself to that domain for remote access. However, part of making this successful is to forward at least two out of three ports through the router. I've done some Googling and also browsed the MikroTik wiki but so far everything I've tried has created more problems.

I've been trying to configure port forwarding through IP -> Firewall -> NAT. I've created two separate entries, one that tells the router to allow external connections on TCP inbound to port 443 only to 192.168.88.200. The other one is the same way only it allows external connections inbound to port 4125 only to 192.168.88.200. When I set this and enable it, it doesn't work, but it also causes my workstation to not reach some websites. So if the two rules are enabled, they also cause my workstation to not establish a connection to various websites. When I removed those two port forward entries, my workstation returned to normal. In addition to that, when I browse to http://192.168.88.200 in a web browser, for some reason it takes me to the MikroTik's login screen. Port 80 shouldn't even be enabled or allowed to any machine on the internal network.

Scratch that last part, apparently it doesn't seem to do that any longer. I just tried to access http://192.168.88.200/ in a browser and it went to the server this time. Mind you I don't have any port forwarding rules configured at the moment.

Here's what my current firewall configuration looks like:

code:
[admin@MikroTik] > ip firewall export
# apr/11/2013 22:32:53 by RouterOS 5.24
# software id = PLN9-VJ6I
#
/ip firewall connection tracking
set enabled=yes generic-timeout=10m icmp-timeout=10s tcp-close-timeout=10s \
    tcp-close-wait-timeout=10s tcp-established-timeout=1d tcp-fin-wait-timeout=\
    10s tcp-last-ack-timeout=10s tcp-syn-received-timeout=5s \
    tcp-syn-sent-timeout=5s tcp-syncookie=no tcp-time-wait-timeout=10s \
    udp-stream-timeout=3m udp-timeout=10s
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="default configuration" disabled=no \
    protocol=icmp
add action=accept chain=input comment="default configuration" connection-state=\
    established disabled=no
add action=accept chain=input comment="default configuration" connection-state=\
    related disabled=no
add action=drop chain=input comment="default configuration" disabled=no \
    in-interface=ether1-gateway
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="default configuration" disabled=no \
    out-interface=ether1-gateway to-addresses=0.0.0.0
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat disabled=no dst-port=443 in-interface=\
    ether1-gateway protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.88.200 to-ports=443
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat disabled=no dst-port=4125 in-interface=\
    ether1-gateway protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.88.200 to-ports=4125
/ip firewall service-port
set ftp disabled=no ports=21
set tftp disabled=no ports=69
set irc disabled=no ports=6667
set h323 disabled=no
set sip disabled=no ports=5060,5061 sip-direct-media=yes
set pptp disabled=no

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 12, 2013

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

At first glance, your rules look correct. One thing I've always done though is made sure I'm a little more specific in my NAT rules. Here's an example of one I just set up last night to replace our dying OpenBSD firewall. I censored out our public IPs for security reasons.

For some reason RouterOS can get odd about how it processes NAT/Firewall rules, so the more specific you can get, the better.

code:
ip firewall export 
# apr/12/2013 10:52:44 by RouterOS 6.0rc12
# software id = AD10-EJJP
#
/ip firewall address-list
add address=10.0.0.0/8 list=Internal-Mgmt
add address=172.16.0.0/12 list=Internal-Mgmt
add address=192.168.0.0/16 list=Internal-Mgmt
add address=192.168.218.0/24 list=Internal-NAT
add address=192.168.60.0/24 list=Internal-NAT
add address=10.45.23.0/24 list=Internal-NAT
add address=10.250.255.0/24 list=Internal-NAT
add address=10.34.0.0/16 list=Internal-NAT
add address=10.32.0.0/16 list=Internal-NAT
add address=10.3.0.0/22 list=Internal-NAT
add address=192.168.100.0/24 list=Internal-NAT
add address=192.168.253.0/24 list=Internal-NAT
add address=172.16.10.0/24 list=Internal-NAT
add address=10.16.0.0/16 list=Internal-NAT
add address=10.253.248.0/24 list=Internal-NAT
add address=172.16.0.0/23 list=Internal-NAT
add address=172.31.0.0/23 list=Internal-NAT
/ip firewall nat
add action=src-nat chain=srcnat dst-address-list=!Internal-Mgmt src-address=10.45.23.0/24 to-addresses=x.x.x.175
add action=src-nat chain=srcnat src-address=192.168.253.0/24 to-addresses=x.x.x.175
add action=src-nat chain=srcnat dst-address-list=!Internal-Mgmt src-address-list=Internal-NAT to-addresses=x.x.x.157
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=Mail dst-address=x.x.x.175 dst-port=25,80,110,143,443,587,993,995,6002 protocol=tcp to-addresses=10.45.23.125
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="AU Vendor Remote Access" dst-address=x.x.x.170 dst-port=22 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.253.2
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="AU Web Server" dst-address=x.x.x.170 dst-port=80,443 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.253.4
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="Credit Card Forwarding" dst-address=x.x.x.178 dst-port=80,443 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.253.10
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=www1 dst-address=x.x.x.176 dst-port=80,443 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.253.6
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=www2 dst-address=x.x.x.177 dst-port=20,21,80,443,8022 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.253.7
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="Residential Sales Server" dst-address=x.x.x.176 dst-port=8080,8022 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.253.8
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=ftp dst-address=x.x.x.176 dst-port=20,21,8001,8002,8003,8004,8005 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.253.9
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=testweb dst-address=x.x.x.179 dst-port=80,443 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.253.11
You'll notice im using address lists to define my internal subnets. The rule in question i'd take a look at is the third NAT rule. Instead of a typical 'catchall' NAT rule, it specifically filters out any traffic I have labeled as local. I did two different lists for my local subnets for a few other reasons, but for your setup you could just do something a little simpler.

I would change your two NAT rules to one rule, as such:

code:
/ip firewall nat
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat src-address=!192.168.88.0/24 disabled=no dst-port=443,4125 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.88.200
Failing that, remove the src-address entry and try updating to RouterOS version 6. One thing about Mikrotik is there are alot of undocumented changes between versions. I've had to upgrade all of my routers to version 6 for various issues in version 5 that I kept running into.

EDIT: I just noticed your actual firewall filter rules at the beginning there. It wouldn't hurt to disable those, for now.

zennik fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 12, 2013

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

IT Guy posted:

Unrelated, I can't seem to get a DHCP IP from my ISP whatever I try. I'm using just a default configuration, haven't changed anything but the admin password and I never get a DHCP IP from my ISP on cable. However, if I plug the ether1-gateway interface into a private network with a DHCP server, I get a DHCP IP address right away. Has anyone experienced this? I've tried rebooting the modem but it doesn't help. I don't have to do any MAC address cloning bullshit. I have a SonicWALL TZ210 that works and picks up an IP and I also have two Linksys routers (WRT54GL and a E3200) that both pickup a DHCP IP from my ISP.

I've opened a ticket with my ISP but I'm doubting they will support this.

Update: Turns out it was my ISP and they had to re-provision my account and give me a new modem. I don't even know why the gently caress, but it's fixed now. It wasn't the Mikrotik RouterBoard.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

zennik posted:

I would change your two NAT rules to one rule, as such:

code:
/ip firewall nat
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat src-address=!192.168.88.0/24 disabled=no dst-port=443,4125 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.88.200
Failing that, remove the src-address entry and try updating to RouterOS version 6. One thing about Mikrotik is there are alot of undocumented changes between versions. I've had to upgrade all of my routers to version 6 for various issues in version 5 that I kept running into.

EDIT: I just noticed your actual firewall filter rules at the beginning there. It wouldn't hurt to disable those, for now.

I removed the rules I created and added the one you created above. No luck. Is that correct, though? You have the src-address as the internal network and the to-addresses go directly to the server. Wouldn't that only allow internal traffic to go to the server and not external Internet traffic? You also don't specify any action ports so I presume I don't need to input any if I've already specified ports 443 and 4125? The filter rules you mention were the pre-configured ones that have been there since I hooked up the router. Not sure if they're safe to remove or not.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I removed the rules I created and added the one you created above. No luck. Is that correct, though? You have the src-address as the internal network and the to-addresses go directly to the server. Wouldn't that only allow internal traffic to go to the server and not external Internet traffic? You also don't specify any action ports so I presume I don't need to input any if I've already specified ports 443 and 4125? The filter rules you mention were the pre-configured ones that have been there since I hooked up the router. Not sure if they're safe to remove or not.

Notice the ! before the subnet, that means to match anything NOT in that subnet as the source. It shouldn't ever be an issue, but in rare cases it can be.

Those filter rules are very safe to remove. They're just default rules for some basic firewall security, and could very well be the source of your problem.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

zennik posted:

Notice the ! before the subnet, that means to match anything NOT in that subnet as the source. It shouldn't ever be an issue, but in rare cases it can be.

Those filter rules are very safe to remove. They're just default rules for some basic firewall security, and could very well be the source of your problem.

I can simply disable them and not have to delete them, correct? If so, disabling them hasn't resolved the issue. The NAT rule you provided is in there and enabled. I've also tried it with and without specifying the "In. Interface" as "ether1-gateway" but that doesn't seem to have an effect either.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I can simply disable them and not have to delete them, correct? If so, disabling them hasn't resolved the issue. The NAT rule you provided is in there and enabled. I've also tried it with and without specifying the "In. Interface" as "ether1-gateway" but that doesn't seem to have an effect either.

Correct.

And that is a little odd, truth be told. I grabbed a 751 and tested a basic setup with a dhcp client WAN Ip and just a simple port forward as described and that's working for me. Wondering if there's something else going on here. Is your ISP possibly filtering port 80?

EDIT: For that matter, not to ask a stupid question, but is your mikrotik pulling an actual WAN IP, or is it getting a 192.168, 10., or 172.12-31 IP?

zennik fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 12, 2013

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

zennik posted:

Correct.

And that is a little odd, truth be told. I grabbed a 751 and tested a basic setup with a dhcp client WAN Ip and just a simple port forward as described and that's working for me. Wondering if there's something else going on here. Is your ISP possibly filtering port 80?

EDIT: For that matter, not to ask a stupid question, but is your mikrotik pulling an actual WAN IP, or is it getting a 192.168, 10., or 172.12-31 IP?

I know that Time Warner blocks port 80 access, but I don't believe they block port 443 (HTTPS). That's why on the old router (WRT54GL w/Tomato), I had it set so that accessing the WAN IP or the DNS name with "https://" would go through the router directly to the server and the webpage would appear. For some reason that's not working with the MikroTik even after trying what you suggested, and after trying what other websites have suggested either. So I never bothered configuring port 80 access on the old router, but I did configure port 443 and port 4125 as required for WHS and it was working fine. Maybe there's a configuration/setting somewhere else in the router that's stopping it? Not sure where to look, though.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 13, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

When you try to access your server, exactly what URL are you going to? Are you putting in its internal IP address or trying to use the external IP?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

When you try to access your server, exactly what URL are you going to? Are you putting in its internal IP address or trying to use the external IP?

When I test the site internally, I'm able to reach the server via https://192.168.88.200/. When I test it externally after creating a NAT rule, I've tried it via the WLAN IP and by the DNS name as well. Neither one works, I receive an error in Chrome stating the connection was refused. I've also been testing with this site and this site. Both are stating that my IP and my DNS respond, but on port 80 AND 443. Not sure why as the NAT rule doesn't mention allowing port 80. One thing I've noticed that might be causing problems in the first place though-- whether or not that NAT rule is enabled or disabled, if I open a browser on the internal network and type in https://removed, it will take me to the MikroTik router login page. I'm not sure why the router is associating itself with port 80 or why it's even enabled. Maybe DNS isn't configured properly on the router? How do I force the router and all internal devices to use OpenDNS?

I think I have OpenDNS configured properly by using the following:

code:
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes cache-max-ttl=1w cache-size=2048KiB max-udp-packet-size=4096 servers=\
and this:

code:
/ip firewall nat
add action=redirect chain=dstnat disabled=no dst-port=53 in-interface=ether2-master-local protocol=udp
I think that's the correct methodology. I've also done the following to block external access to port 80 (the testing sites I mentioned above confirm it's closed now). I've also decided for the hell of it to also accept incoming connection attempts to ports 443 and 4125 as well thinking that might fix things but it does not:

code:
add action=drop chain=input comment="default configuration" disabled=no dst-port=80 in-interface=ether1-gateway \
    protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input comment="default configuration" disabled=no dst-port=443,4125 in-interface=\
    ether1-gateway protocol=tcp

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 13, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

How are you testing this externally? Are you remoted into another machine and are trying to reach your site? Do you have a buddy trying to reach this page for you?

PS: It's working fine. Going to the link you provided brings up a windows home server page just fine. Nothing is wrong with your rules, or if you tweaked something since your post DON'T CHANGE IT!

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

How are you testing this externally? Are you remoted into another machine and are trying to reach your site? Do you have a buddy trying to reach this page for you?

PS: It's working fine. Going to the link you provided brings up a windows home server page just fine. Nothing is wrong with your rules, or if you tweaked something since your post DON'T CHANGE IT!

Really? Huh. I'll have to check that. Does my OpenDNS configuration look okay? By the way, I've checked the logs this morning and unsurprisingly I see an IP address from China has been trying to login through SSH. What is with these routers just allowing everything turned on by default? So now I have to specifically drop attempts via port 22 in the rules AND dig through logs? I'm just going to poke around some MikroTik wiki pages on securing the router.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 13, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Go to IP -> Services and turn off all the services you don't want the Mikrotik to advertise. In other words, turn off the web server, the FTP port, SSH, telnet, etc. Turn off everything except winbox if you like and that should stop the bulk of probe attempts against your router.

Your DNS setup looks fine.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

Go to IP -> Services and turn off all the services you don't want the Mikrotik to advertise. In other words, turn off the web server, the FTP port, SSH, telnet, etc. Turn off everything except winbox if you like and that should stop the bulk of probe attempts against your router.

Your DNS setup looks fine.

You and zennik have been a big help, thank you. I've combed through some security practice information in the MikroTik wiki and modified/applied it to my router. The only services I currently have enabled are "ssh", "winbox" and "www". However, I do believe I have my firewall rules configured properly so that external access is denied to those services. Below is the current configuration, maybe either of you can tell me if I've done anything incorrectly. One thing I'm not sure about is if I should specify an in-interface for the "From LAN network" rule. I also have BitTorrent configured to utilize UPnP for port forwarding, but also allow incoming connections to port 29793. Not sure if the rules below screw that up.

code:
/ip firewall connection tracking
set enabled=yes generic-timeout=10m icmp-timeout=10s tcp-close-timeout=10s tcp-close-wait-timeout=10s \
    tcp-established-timeout=1d tcp-fin-wait-timeout=10s tcp-last-ack-timeout=10s tcp-syn-received-timeout=5s \
    tcp-syn-sent-timeout=5s tcp-syncookie=no tcp-time-wait-timeout=10s udp-stream-timeout=3m udp-timeout=10s

/ip firewall filter
add action=drop chain=input comment="Block HTTP requests" disabled=no dst-port=80 in-interface=ether1-gateway \
    protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input comment="Allow HTTPS/RWW (\\\\SERVER)" disabled=no dst-port=443,4125 in-interface=\
    ether1-gateway protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input comment="Accept established connections" connection-state=established disabled=no \
add action=accept chain=input comment="Accept related connections" connection-state=related disabled=no \
add action=drop chain=input comment="Drop invalid connections" connection-state=invalid disabled=no \
add action=accept chain=input comment=UDP disabled=no in-interface=ether1-gateway protocol=udp
add action=accept chain=input comment="Allow limited pings" disabled=no in-interface=ether1-gateway limit=\
    50/5s,2 protocol=icmp
add action=drop chain=input comment="Drop excess pings" disabled=no in-interface=ether1-gateway protocol=icmp
add action=drop chain=input comment=SSH disabled=no dst-port=22 in-interface=ether1-gateway protocol=tcp
add action=drop chain=input comment=WinBox disabled=no dst-port=8291 in-interface=ether1-gateway protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input comment="From WLAN (Time Warner) network" disabled=no in-interface=ether1-gateway \
    src-address=76.180.32.0/20
add action=accept chain=input comment="From LAN network" disabled=no src-address=192.168.88.0/24
add action=log chain=input comment="Log everything else" disabled=no log-prefix="DROP INPUT"
add action=drop chain=input comment="Drop everything else" disabled=no

/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="default configuration" disabled=no out-interface=ether1-gateway \
    to-addresses=0.0.0.0
add action=redirect chain=dstnat comment=OpenDNS disabled=no dst-port=53 in-interface=ether2-master-local \
    protocol=udp
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="Remote Web Access (\\\\SERVER)" disabled=no dst-port=443,4125 \
    in-interface=ether1-gateway protocol=tcp src-address=!192.168.88.0/24 to-addresses=192.168.88.200

/ip firewall service-port
set ftp disabled=no ports=21
set tftp disabled=no ports=69
set irc disabled=no ports=6667
set h323 disabled=no
set sip disabled=no ports=5060,5061 sip-direct-media=yes
set pptp disabled=no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

You may want to take a look at the packet flow diagram for RouterOS. The "input" chain in the firewall is for packets destined to the router itself, not packets that will ultimately be forwarded (the "forward" chain) somewhere else. Right now there's an implicit "accept all" rule in the "forward" chain, which is why things appear to be working. Look at the counters on the rules you have in Winbox; some of them are likely not being hit.

Some things to keep in mind when crafting firewall rules:
  • The first matching rule is the one that matters, so you want the bulk of your packets to be matched as early as possible to avoid excess processing latency. You can also take advantage of the ordering to do things like "accept from LAN; do something else from everywhere else" without having to explicitly name each of the interfaces/addresses/subnets for each "everywhere else."
  • Allowing "connection-state=established" takes care of the 2nd and all subsequent packets for a connection, so your other rules only have to match the first packet that initiates a connection.
  • NAT happens before filtering, so use translated addresses in the rules.
  • Place an explicit drop at the end of each chain you use since the default is accept, and then you only have to make rules for what you explicitly want to allow.
Here's how I'd clean up your ruleset, comments inline, remember the default action is accept:
code:
/ip firewall filter
add chain=input connection-state=established
add chain=input connection-state=related
# I like to match on the interface for traffic from my LAN,
# but you could also filter by src-address if you prefer
add chain=input comment="Allow all traffic from LAN" in-interface=ether2-master-local
add chain=input comment="Rate-limit pings" limit=50/5s,2 protocol=icmp
# Add specific drop rules for traffic you don't want logged here
add action=drop chain=input comment="SSH scans" dst-port=22 protocol=tcp
add action=log chain=input comment="Log everything else" log-prefix="DROP INPUT"
add action=drop chain=input

add chain=forward connection-state=established
add chain=forward connection-state=related
add chain=forward comment="Allow outgoing TCP traffic from LAN" connection-state=new protocol=tcp \
    tcp-flags=syn,!ack in-interface=ether2-master-local
add chain=forward comment="Allow outgoing UDP traffic from LAN" connection-state=new protocol=udp \
    in-interface=ether2-master-local
add chain=forward comment="Allow outgoing pings from LAN" connection-state=new protocol=icmp \
    icmp-options=8 in-interface=ether2-master-local
# Alternatively, you could omit the 3 previous rules and instead allow all traffic from the LAN
# interface with a single rule. I just prefer to see "everything else" logged.
add chain=forward comment="Allow HTTPS/RWW (\\\\SERVER)" connection-state=new protocol=tcp \
    dst-address=192.168.88.200 dst-port=443,4125 tcp-flags=syn,!ack in-interface=ether1-gateway
add action=log chain=forward comment="Log everything else" log-prefix="DROP FORWARD"
add action=drop chain=forward

/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat out-interface=ether1-gateway to-addresses=0.0.0.0
# Destination NAT can only map to a single address, or a consecutive range of addresses,
# hence only one of the OpenDNS servers is listed. I wouldn't use REDIRECT and the Mikrotik
# built-in DNS resolver, since it has well-known problems with e.g. low TTL records.
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="OpenDNS UDP" dst-port=53 protocol=udp \
    in-interface=ether2-master-local to-addresses=208.67.222.222
# Remember that DNS can use TCP too
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="OpenDNS TCP" dst-port=53 protocol=tcp \
    in-interface=ether2-master-local to-addresses=208.67.222.222
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="Remote Web Access (\\\\SERVER)" dst-port=443,4125 \
    protocol=tcp in-interface=ether1-gateway to-addresses=192.168.88.200
Edit: Made the code block play nicer with tables. Added a comment or two to the ruleset. Also :goonsay:

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 13, 2013