Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna second the Skalmold love from earlier this last page. poo poo is loving amazing :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Not sure if people still consider Deftones metal, but Chino Moreno just posted that Chi Cheng passed away today. Sad, I had hoped he was going to recover after his accident.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahaha shiiit, I somehow missed that Sonata Arctica and Nightwish both released albums in the last couple years.

Speewah
May 28, 2011
Where is the best place to start with Dark Throne?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, looks like Sonata Arctica peaked with The Days of Grays :(
At least Nightwish's Imaginaerum is good.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tollymain posted:

Hahaha shiiit, I somehow missed that Sonata Arctica and Nightwish both released albums in the last couple years.

Yeah, you're not missing much.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Tollymain posted:

They peaked way before that. Days of Grays and Unia were both really bad.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defiant Sally posted:

Days of Grays [...] really bad.

I will fight you :arghfist::reject:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Tollymain posted:

What. Sonata Arctica peaked far earlier than that, unless you're in some bizarro upside-down land where the deepest of troughs are peaks for you.

sticklefifer posted:

Not sure if people still consider Deftones metal, but Chino Moreno just posted that Chi Cheng passed away today. Sad, I had hoped he was going to recover after his accident.

That sucks. I did enjoy the Deftones regardless of what genre you wanted to paint them. They made nice music and seemed like chill guys.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry, I find straight power metal kind of boring, samey, and headache-inducing.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tollymain posted:

Sorry, I find straight power metal kind of boring, samey, and headache-inducing.

This I feel about SA's more recent works

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
Am I the only one who finds all of Sonata Arctica's stuff except Unia and Stones Grow Her Name to be, for the most part, exceptionally boring? Other than a handful of songs they mostly just kind of run together in a mushy blend of synthesizer and wolf lyrics for me.

As far as Imaginaerum goes I was pleasantly surprised with some of it but only in the sense that the best Nightwish songs are the ones that don't sound like Nightwish songs (and aren't the same three metaphors for how deep and tortured Tuomas is reiterated over and over again).

Can't wait to see the movie though :allears:

quote:

The further back in Einsferum's discography you go, the better. Turasis pulls off the battle folk cred better.

I just had the pleasure of seeing them live. That was one hell of a show.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Tollymain posted:

Coulrophobia posted:

Am I the only one who finds all of Sonata Arctica's stuff except Unia and Stones Grow Her Name to be, for the most part, exceptionally boring? Other than a handful of songs they mostly just kind of run together in a mushy blend of synthesizer and wolf lyrics for me.

As far as Imaginaerum goes I was pleasantly surprised with some of it but only in the sense that the best Nightwish songs are the ones that don't sound like Nightwish songs (and aren't the same three metaphors for how deep and tortured Tuomas is reiterated over and over again).

Can't wait to see the movie though :allears:
Where do you people come from???

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
I sincerely apologize if I just gave anyone here the impression that I actually like Nightwish. I just found it notable that they put out a listenable track and it was a lounge song.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Speewah posted:

Transylvanian Hunger imo

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DeusExMachinima posted:

The further back in Einsferum's discography you go, the better. Turasis pulls off the battle folk cred better.
Eh, while I agree Iron is probably Ensiferum's best album, I don't think the difference between their old and new stuff is that clear cut. I'd rank Unsung Heroes higher than From Afar.
And while I also agree that Turisas are the better band of the two, I think they threw away any "battle folk cred" they had when they went all "Vikings on Broadway" with their latest album. :v: Don't get me wrong, I loving adore Stand up and Fight and it's by far my favourite Turisas album, but folk metal it is not.

Speaking of battle metal though, that new Amon Amarth song is pretty drat good. Sounds exceedingly light for an AA song in some parts, but not really in a bad way.

Oh and I'll start paying attention to Sonata Arctica again when they get a new singer. Kakko's voice is loving abrasive.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 14, 2013

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Ne Obliviscaris vis Facebook posted:

Thought we had finished a surprisingly short new song- only 6 min; decided to add 1 more riff... now 11+min long.
Already pushing for the next album. Awyeah.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

New Amon Amarth track here: http://official.fm/tracks/H8oa

I'm downloading as we speak.

*edit* It's awesome.

gently caress yes. Finally heard about this thanks to Facebook tonight. Pretty standard Amon Amarth, and that is awesome. I mean, I don't know how anyone would not know what they're getting into with each AA album. It'd be like complaining "Man, I wish Bolt Thrower would write songs about something other than tanks."

Speaking of, can't believe how fast BT's Pomona show sold out. Didn't even heard about it until it was too late. God knows how long it'll be before they come back to the States again :(

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Speewah posted:

A Blaze... and then go chronologically.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Tollymain posted:

If Sonatica isn't straight samey power to you, Spock has a beard in your universe.

Coulrophobia posted:

I sincerely apologize if I just gave anyone here the impression that I actually like Nightwish. I just found it notable that they put out a listenable track and it was a lounge song.

This song? Their latest album was better than Dark Passion Play because there was less "OH NO POOR TOMAS" :emo: but it's hilarious they lost another singer and now have the girl from After Forever. Once is still one of the best symphonic metal albums of all time, but now Nightwish is amazing dramatainment. :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeusExMachinima posted:

If Sonatica isn't straight samey power to you, Spock has a beard in your universe.

I'm not sure if you're referring to their early work or their later work, so I don't know whether I agree with you or not :raise:
Basically I like the prog metal elements in Days of Grays.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Fight me all you want but Sonata Arctica (yes all of it) is like the textbook example of samey boring powermetal and I have no idea how you could think otherwise.

New Amon Amarth track here: http://official.fm/tracks/H8oa

I'm downloading as we speak.

*edit* It's awesome.

Am I imagining things or have they gone back to their older, uh, I guess harder(?) sound with this? I thought Surtur Rising was their weakest release mostly because of the production - I thought it was more melo than death, if that makes sense? Curious to see how the rest of it plays but it will most likely be excellent workout music as always. :)

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Martout posted:

Fight me all you want but Sonata Arctica (yes all of it) is like the textbook example of samey boring powermetal and I have no idea how you could think otherwise.

Am I imagining things or have they gone back to their older, uh, I guess harder(?) sound with this? I thought Surtur Rising was their weakest release mostly because of the production - I thought it was more melo than death, if that makes sense? Curious to see how the rest of it plays but it will most likely be excellent workout music as always. :)

I think Surtur Rising is a very good album, a style that is a little different than some of their other albums, yet a very good one.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I've barely listened to Amon Amarth in forever, and the only songs I can really remember are "Versus the World" and "Asator". Have they done any other fast songs since "Asator"?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

John Magnum posted:

I've barely listened to Amon Amarth in forever, and the only songs I can really remember are "Versus the World" and "Asator". Have they done any other fast songs since "Asator"?

A lot of them are quite fast in the newer albums, Twilight of the Thunder God, Where is your God, Destroyer of the Universe for example.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 14, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Yeah Destroyer of the Universe is basically Asator 2.0, and it's loving great too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aaOqUYG8Tw

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Something about the new lead guitar tone doesn't sit right with me. It reminds me a lot of the robobuzzy tech-death tone of, to pick an example at random, Allegaeon. It's not that extreme, a lot of it still sounds more like their older stuff, but I preferred the sound they had on their last couple. Song is cool though.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Yeah Destroyer of the Universe is basically Asator 2.0, and it's loving great too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aaOqUYG8Tw

I just listened to that song and immediately jumped up and started using the squat rack.

The bizarre thing is I'm at home and don't even own a squat rack.....

Edit: I've never really gotten into Amon Amarth before, whats the best album to start with?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

rxcowboy posted:

Edit: I've never really gotten into Amon Amarth before, whats the best album to start with?

With Oden On Our Side is by far their best album, after that you can then look at their older albums if you want rougher/harsher stuff (such as The Avenger), or their newer albums if you want more cleanly produced stuff (like Twilight of the Thunder God).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've seen Amon Amarth live before and they're pretty fun. The show was Amon Amarth, preceded by Goatwhore, preceded by Skeletonwitch, preceded by The Absence which wasn't on the billing but I guess were convinced to drive from Tampa to Orlando to play. I was excited to see the Absence play because I always ran into those guys at guitar center or going to a lovely mall record store to buy their album and then having their singer be really fuckin excited about it because he worked there.

Either way, if you guys want some viking metal to go to the gym with, there's always unleashed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SFVvUrXdOs

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Absence is pretty cool, I only knew of the peripherally because their guitar player (now replaced by Per Nilsson from Scary Symmetry) posted on another forum I go to and had a loving cool guitar

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If it's that weird custom japanese one then yeah it's a cool rear end guitar. Dude looked straight out of a Rob Zombie video but was crazy good at guitar. A friend of mine in high school bought a bunch of old gear from him for cheap because they got a sponsor deal and he had no more room for a bunch of 5150s.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nah it's this pirate Suhr he painted himself.

Anyway, I always like the stuff I hear from them, it's just pretty straight forward melodeath, maybe I should pick up a few albums.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
From Your Grave is the best. Rider's of the Plague has way better recording quality but it's somewhat boring to me, except their cover of Into The Pit. I haven't heard their third one so I know what I'm going to be doing today.

Also that guitar is loving badass. I was thinking of that one with the asymmetrical fretting on it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

It boggles my goddamn mind how anyone thinks they're anything close to metal.

It reminds me of talking to my dumb broad neighbor from my old apartment. I'd go outside to smoke and sometimes she'd be out there smoking too. She'd ask me about my shirt and I'd say it's some metal band. Then she'd tell me she's into "dark metal" (WTF is that?) and tell me about how awesome flyleaf is. "Uhh that's cool I guess, I gotta go back inside".

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Woah dude, you got to talk to like, an actual girl? No way.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Yeah you totally could've gotten laid or something. I guess you blew that chance

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yes dumbasses come in both sexes. It's true.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Haggins posted:

It boggles my goddamn mind how anyone thinks they're anything close to metal.

It reminds me of talking to my dumb broad neighbor from my old apartment. I'd go outside to smoke and sometimes she'd be out there smoking too. She'd ask me about my shirt and I'd say it's some metal band. Then she'd tell me she's into "dark metal" (WTF is that?) and tell me about how awesome flyleaf is. "Uhh that's cool I guess, I gotta go back inside".

So how many different metal shirts did you have, or was she just forgetful, since she asked it every time you went for a smoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Gaggins posted:

Transylvanian Hunger imo

Oldstench posted:

A Blaze... and then go chronologically.

Cheers!