Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Any idea what the gently caress is wrong with ATTs lovely website?

I'm trying to upgrade a line/pre-order the HTC One.

When I get to step 2: 'Add Services', I add my services, and select 'add to cart'. Then I get this lovely error message popup:

atg.droplet.DropletException (errorCode.atg.droplet.DropletException)

I close out of the error popup, try again, and this process repeats forever. Customer service reps are clueless, and keep telling me that it must be a problem with my cookies. This problem persists among multiple web browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox) on multiple machines.

I effectively cannot preorder a phone and upgrade my line due to a javascript error that no one wants to acknowledge or fix. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Hello.

My wife and I have a MOBILE SHARE 1GB plan with TWO smartphones. I would love to tell you what we are paying for this, but since we turned off uverse last week I have not been able to view our bill online. Maybe some day it will return LOL.

I am trying to add a third line, and eventually we may add an AT&T ipad. When I login at att.com and 'Add a line' -> 'Add a line – Mobile Share' -> Select iPhone 5 -> no accessories ->

at the Rate Plans screen I select "AT&T Mobile Share(R) with Unlimited Talk & Text" with a monthly charge of $0.00 listed. The next screen is for selecting 'Data Plans for iPhone'. I suppose I want to join a mobile share group? So I enter my mobile number...

Three plans are presented. The first is our current one 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) 1GB with Unlimited Talk & Text' for $34.80 (normally $40 but corp discount, ha). It says 2 of 10 lines in group. It is missing an 'Add to Cart' button. Huh? But it does have a selected radio button, and that is the only radio button.

There is a $45 option for 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) Personal for iPhone on 4G LTE (1)'. Is AT&T really charging more for data on an iphone just because it is an iphone? I feel dumb enough buying an iphone.

Some one please explain what I can do here.

edit: and if we upgrade a line to an iphone online we have to join it to a single-user data plan and then put it back in the share plan later? And there is a $30 upgrade fee :/.

Yeah, to add to this you should switch to the 4GB or 6GB mobile share plan. More economical with 3 smartphones and no point of having 4 devices on 1GB of data.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

obeyasia posted:

You just don't understand the pricing structure for the service you are paying for, that's all. The data bucket is $40 ($34.80 w/your discount) and then EVERY smart phone after that is $45 per line. Activations/Upgrades are $36 regardless. Good luck getting it waived. AT&T corporate just dropped a serious hammer on them and have reinforced to us retail heads that there is no waiving them.

I've read the OP and understand the pricing. I realize now what the website is doing, but it certainly isn't clear to the user what is going on.

Having me assign the new line/phone phone to my 1gb share plan when I select a plan for the phone makes sense, but then having me assign the phone to a data plan (as I seemingly just put the phone in my 1gb bucket) with three options, one being the 1gb share plan bucket rate that I selected already, and the others being data plans that have iphone in the title like they are something special makes no sense.

I "get" what the site was doing now, but please don't presume I don't understand the basic fee schedule because the AT&T site is poorly designed.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

New thread!

I got my first bill on the new shared plan and it seems I've been had. When I was at the store (official AT&T, not authorized reseller), I was asking about insurance because my girlfriend likes to literally burn money. The associate said she'd put the extra $3 package on at no charge for a month and then she'd take it off. Well, the extra $3 is on there, and not credited at all. I'm kind of annoyed about the $3.30 (1 month + prorated 3 days), since I didn't want it at all. Given that I have nothing in writing to back up the fact that she said I wouldn't be charged, and that the service has already been removed, is it even worth my time to try to get the $3.30 credit on principle?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

New thread!

I got my first bill on the new shared plan and it seems I've been had. When I was at the store (official AT&T, not authorized reseller), I was asking about insurance because my girlfriend likes to literally burn money. The associate said she'd put the extra $3 package on at no charge for a month and then she'd take it off. Well, the extra $3 is on there, and not credited at all. I'm kind of annoyed about the $3.30 (1 month + prorated 3 days), since I didn't want it at all. Given that I have nothing in writing to back up the fact that she said I wouldn't be charged, and that the service has already been removed, is it even worth my time to try to get the $3.30 credit on principle?

Feel free to go back to hat specific person/store and ask for the credit, they likely would give it to you. The thing on promos like that is you have to reach back out to the store.

The pressure to sell that add on to insurance is crazy high at ATT right now, so while it kind of sucks to be hassled that way, just keep that in kind. At least it's only $3, usually the issue is way worse than that.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

EbolaIvory posted:

You wont in a few days.

:)

Once you log in, And they realize it. Itll get shut down. By default the cor rep profile has access. But theres some auto policy if you dont have a second flag itll shut down the account. Happened to me. You can get access again later if they feel you need it. But you have desk monkies to gently caress with it. Just call support and make them jerk that piece of poo poo off. Use Opus, Its a billion times better for a POS system. Sure when theres a problem its nice to just fix it if you know how but christ theres so much little bullshit. Plus you need to know soc codes and all kinds of poo poo. Instead of just "click box" "apply feature" Done. And this is coming from someone who managed to keep it in a market that they didnt want ANY reps to have it. If you get good with it, Expect it to cut into your sales time. Use support.

Guess what im saying, Take a peek now, but dont get used to it. :)

Oh so that's why you assholes call customer care to get poo poo done :argh:

(former retention rep here)

How long does it usually take to get back to people about interviews at a store? It's been like an actual month now and I still haven't heard anything either way. They'd been really good at keeping in contact with me....

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Beefstorm posted:

On a more awkward note, I was in training on Friday, annnnnnnnd my RAE walked in. :sweatdrop: He did NOT know I went to COR since I outright lied to my dealer about leaving for COR because of that whole non-compete clause. I talked to him afterwards and he said he wouldn't say anything. So I'm crossing my fingers.

Non-compete clauses are made up of two general parts:

1. Protection of trade secrets: you can't go to your new job and tell them everything you know about your old job.
2. Non-compete agreement: the part that says you can't work for a competitor for a certain amount of time.

Part 2 is normally incredibly restrictive and it's not in anyone's best interest for you to be unable to work somewhere. In labor courts #2 gets thrown out a lot.

Or more generally: you work at a cellphone store not a top secret lab you're not going to get sued for switching jobs.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Mattybee posted:

Oh so that's why you assholes call customer care to get poo poo done :argh:

(former retention rep here)

How long does it usually take to get back to people about interviews at a store? It's been like an actual month now and I still haven't heard anything either way. They'd been really good at keeping in contact with me....

Call.

And no. Retail AT&T reps have internal support now. gently caress calling care.

Sleipnir
Sep 13, 2007
I just received notice that my unlock request was accepted for my iPhone, but I'm not yet ready to (or totally sure that I will) switch to another carrier. If I complete the unlock by restoring my phone, it will still work as normal on AT&T until I actually switch over right?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sleipnir posted:

I just received notice that my unlock request was accepted for my iPhone, but I'm not yet ready to (or totally sure that I will) switch to another carrier. If I complete the unlock by restoring my phone, it will still work as normal on AT&T until I actually switch over right?

Unlocked means it's capable of being used on any GSM carrier. It doesn't boot you off AT&T's network.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Is it possible to preorder an HTC One from a corporate store yet? I give up on trying to get the drat thing preordered through the ATT site. My account is blocked from adding any services online to a line due to a scripting error with the site...

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Avalanche posted:

Is it possible to preorder an HTC One from a corporate store yet? I give up on trying to get the drat thing preordered through the ATT site. My account is blocked from adding any services online to a line due to a scripting error with the site...

You can preorder it in a COR store now if you would like.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina
Sorry if this was asked already, but does AT&T undo your throttling once the new month starts?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

James Polk posted:

Sorry if this was asked already, but does AT&T undo your throttling once the new month starts?

Far as I know yes.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the cheapest way (monthly cost) for me to use a 3G/4G USB modem with about 2 GB of data per month?

I'm currently on "FamilyTalk" with two phones:
* iPhone 5 w/unlimited data
* iPhone 4 with 250 MB (wife's phone)

This costs $94.29 per month (plus taxes/fees) after our 23% FAN discount.

If I switch to Mobile Share (for the sole purpose of adding a 3G/4G USB modem), it will cost a LOT more ($159.30 including the 3G/4G modem).

Do I have any other options?

I was hoping to get a 3G/4G USB modem added to my account for something like $20/month for 2GB...

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Vinlaen posted:

What's the cheapest way (monthly cost) for me to use a 3G/4G USB modem with about 2 GB of data per month?

I'm currently on "FamilyTalk" with two phones:
* iPhone 5 w/unlimited data
* iPhone 4 with 250 MB (wife's phone)

This costs $94.29 per month (plus taxes/fees) after our 23% FAN discount.

If I switch to Mobile Share (for the sole purpose of adding a 3G/4G USB modem), it will cost a LOT more ($159.30 including the 3G/4G modem).

Do I have any other options?

I was hoping to get a 3G/4G USB modem added to my account for something like $20/month for 2GB...

You could always open a new Mobile Share data plan, $30(-FAN) base + $20 per modem. Should be $43/mo after FAN. Ends up being slightly cheaper and you also get a 4GB bucket, plus if you ever want to add an iPad or something to that, it's only $10.

No idea about existing lines for non-data Mobile Share, though. Non-mobile share laptop lines were $50/mo for 5GB last I checked. Modem plans are always kind of expensive.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks!

It looks like I have two options:

1) DataConnect (single-device) $50 for 5GB with FAN = $38.50
2) Mobile Share Data (single-device) - $30 (4 GB) + $20 with FAN = $43.10

If I only want a single device, I get an extra gigabyte plus it's cheaper for DataConnect, but then I can't add an iPad (if I ever get an LTE iPad in the future, etc)

Decisions, decisions...

I was really hoping for something cheaper but nothing good in life is cheap :)

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
You could bump up your plan on one of the iphones to the $50 one and run a hotspot on the phone unless you have a need for a separate device.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Which plan is that?

I'm paying $30/month for unlimited data, so I guess there is a $50/month plan for 5 GB + tethering?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Vinlaen posted:

Which plan is that?

I'm paying $30/month for unlimited data, so I guess there is a $50/month plan for 5 GB + tethering?

IANAAE (I am not an ATT employee [like some here are]) but yeah the $50 plan includes tethering, is what my wife has, from what I've read on the internet switching a line with unlimited to anything else means you've lost unlimited forever.

And on mobile share you're supposed to be able to tether/run hotspot on phone on any of your phones on the mobilshare plans.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I can confirm tethering works on Mobile Share plans, but that if I was going to use it a lot I'd consider getting the USB dongle thing.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I keep seeing this term FAN used, but I still don't understand what it is. What is a FAN discount and how does one get one?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

AppleCobbler posted:

I keep seeing this term FAN used, but I still don't understand what it is. What is a FAN discount and how does one get one?

Discount from work/school/a union/etc.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Of all phones, I was just given the HTC First as my work phone yesterday.

It's actually not bad and honestly is a pretty solid phone overall. It runs pretty smoothly (even with Facebook home), Facebook home is not half bad, and it's extremely easy to turn it off and just get stock Android. If all manufacturers made their skins that easy to turn off, I wouldn't have a problem with skins.

After launch weekend I'll be running stock on it and I expect it to work like a champ. It's weird having a smaller screen for android after years of larger screens, and it has the same obnoxious android issues like videos not formatting to the full screen, but not bad.

That being said, for most people the S4 and iPhone 5 are better phones overall, but for its price this one isn't bad.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Do you have to extend your contract to add a FAN discount?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

Do you have to extend your contract to add a FAN discount?

Yes.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
What requirements are there for a business to qualify for a FAN discount for their employees?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

devoir posted:

What requirements are there for a business to qualify for a FAN discount for their employees?

5 or more lines and a tax I'd.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

obeyasia posted:

5 or more lines and a tax I'd.

However if your business uses AT&T wireline, you can get the discount with just one line.

I'm gonna do a write up later explaining business discounts a little better.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 14, 2013

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Beefstorm posted:

However if your business uses AT&T wireline, you can get the discount with just one line.

I'm gonna do a write up later explaining business discounts a little better.

Thanks Beef and obeyasia. One question; what's a wireline? An internet service? A fixed (i.e. building-based) phone line?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

devoir posted:

Thanks Beef and obeyasia. One question; what's a wireline? An internet service? A fixed (i.e. building-based) phone line?

Wireline phone line. Basically if your business telephone service is provided by AT&T, you get a 6% discount on wireless with just one line of wireless service. And when you get 5 line of wireless, it jumps to 10%.

If you do not have wireline service, the discount starts at 5 lines and is 8%.

Discounts that do not follow that pattern are negotiated with AT&T.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Chemmy posted:

Non-compete clauses are made up of two general parts:

1. Protection of trade secrets: you can't go to your new job and tell them everything you know about your old job.
2. Non-compete agreement: the part that says you can't work for a competitor for a certain amount of time.

Part 2 is normally incredibly restrictive and it's not in anyone's best interest for you to be unable to work somewhere. In labor courts #2 gets thrown out a lot.

Or more generally: you work at a cellphone store not a top secret lab you're not going to get sued for switching jobs.

Further more, did you you actually sign a non-compete at your old place of employment and if so, are non-competes legally enforceable in your state? I did not sign one at my NR job, and just switched to another NR, who only said that I could not be employed still when I started at the new place because of conflict of interest, but non-completes are not legally enforceable in my state, YMMV. :yotj:

Beefstorm: This is a good post (your OP.) :hfive:

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SeaborneClink posted:

Further more, did you you actually sign a non-compete at your old place of employment and if so, are non-competes legally enforceable in your state? I did not sign one at my NR job, and just switched to another NR, who only said that I could not be employed still when I started at the new place because of conflict of interest, but non-completes are not legally enforceable in my state, YMMV. :yotj:

Beefstorm: This is a good post (your OP.) :hfive:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was just so I didn't work at another one at the same time.

And thank you!

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Hey cool. My HTC One shipped. It will be here Monday evening.

But someone somehow managed to disable the loving SIM card on my current phone (I've tried swapping the thing into multiple phones and it detects the SIM but wont connect to the network). So I cannot make/receive calls for 4 days.

Awesome.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Avalanche posted:

Hey cool. My HTC One shipped. It will be here Monday evening.

But someone somehow managed to disable the loving SIM card on my current phone (I've tried swapping the thing into multiple phones and it detects the SIM but wont connect to the network). So I cannot make/receive calls for 4 days.

Awesome.

Sounds like something got screwed up with activation, usually there are instructions on activating a device that gets shipped to you. In any event, if you can, go to an AT&T store and get a new sim, they unfortunately cannot reuse them if they get deactivated.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
I know this is not ATT's fault in anyway, but drat I am annoyed right now.

We have a family plan with 9 devices on it, 6 phones and a couple tablets.

Long story short, my daughter tossed my Galaxy S3 into the bathtub the other night, no big deal i bought the insurance on it this time, (after getting burned on my galaxy s2 just making GBS threads the bed on me last go round.) I call Asurion to start the claim, and I know I should have looked before hand, but they want 199 deductible, and they will send me a refurb phone in a few days.

Now 199 for a refurbed galaxy s3 is insane, with the HTC one shipping now the galaxy s4 pre-orders in the next couple weeks. I noticed that even the skyrocket and older Samsungs are still tier 3 as well.

I checked all our lines, we have a couple that are eligible for early upgrade pricing but that isn't much of a discount.

Is it worth heading into a store or calling up CS to see if they can help me out? Or am I SOL and have to pony up 200 bux for a refurbed old phone?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Some Zero posted:

Is it worth heading into a store or calling up CS to see if they can help me out? Or am I SOL and have to pony up 200 bux for a refurbed old phone?

A refurb for $200 isn't a bad deal, considering that used S3s average $300 on ebay.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Some Zero posted:

I know this is not ATT's fault in anyway, but drat I am annoyed right now.

We have a family plan with 9 devices on it, 6 phones and a couple tablets.

Long story short, my daughter tossed my Galaxy S3 into the bathtub the other night, no big deal i bought the insurance on it this time, (after getting burned on my galaxy s2 just making GBS threads the bed on me last go round.) I call Asurion to start the claim, and I know I should have looked before hand, but they want 199 deductible, and they will send me a refurb phone in a few days.

Now 199 for a refurbed galaxy s3 is insane, with the HTC one shipping now the galaxy s4 pre-orders in the next couple weeks. I noticed that even the skyrocket and older Samsungs are still tier 3 as well.

I checked all our lines, we have a couple that are eligible for early upgrade pricing but that isn't much of a discount.

Asurion handles the deductible. AT&T can't touch them. So no, not worth it.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Sorry wasn't clear was hoping to maybe call AT&T and get an early upgrade or something along those lines. I don't mind shelling out money but just not for an old phone. would rather drop 299 on the note II or what ever the HTC one is selling at right now for 2 year pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Is AT&T still giving the primary line upgrades earlier than 20 months based on some arbitrary combination of plan cost, customer loyalty, and planetary alignment? Or did they follow Verizon's lead and kill that promotion as well?