Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Tuesday or Thursday works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG
I still need to get over there on my own, but I would be pretty interested in this! Any any of those days works for me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

TheReverend posted:

As an Athenian, I sometimes have to go to Atlanta for various purposes. What are some places I should be looking out for. I know of the obvious fine dining places but I'm talking about maybe lesser known places where the price is less than 25 per person. What would you guys recommend as "must try" places?

Napoleon's out in Tucker is my go-to place for good yet not-terribly-expensive food. The Mini Pot Roast and the Braised Beef Napoleon get my recommendation.

quote:

Chai Pani
Any day works for me.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
I am free any night as long as I know far enough in advance.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Chai Pani - I'll make arrangements soon and post the plans/time sometime next week. Sounds like a lot of people are interested, very cool!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TheReverend posted:

As an Athenian, I sometimes have to go to Atlanta for various purposes. What are some places I should be looking out for. I know of the obvious fine dining places but I'm talking about maybe lesser known places where the price is less than 25 per person. What would you guys recommend as "must try" places?

on the cheaper end, (in my opinion) can't go wrong with : panahar, zyka, octopus bar, top flr (though I've had some less than stellar dining experiences recently), woo nam jeong, hae woon dae, shoya izakaya, canton house (dimsum), grindhouse, perla... I'm sure there are lots of others <25, but that's what pops into my head off the bat.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks. They're opening up a grindhouse up here so I'll try one of the other ones.

nicad
Feb 21, 2004
Went to Paper plane last night. I really enjoyed the cocktails, but they were a little on the pricey side (upwards of $13)

Food was wonderful. Small plates. I tried the pork cheek, lamb, short rib, and ceviche. All were excellent.

I visited Quinones a few months ago and have some mixed feelings.
The short rib, halibut, and quail were wonderful. I'm pretty certain these were cooked sous vide; the halibut texture was sublime.

Given the price, I guess I was expecting something way out in gastro land (ala modernist cuisine). The dishes didn't disappoint, I'm just picky and wanted something to really blow me away. Service was perfect down to every last detail. We ended up ordering 8 more bottles of wine (7 of us total) in addition to the pairing. Yeah, we're a bunch of alcoholics. Sue me.

album: http://imgur.com/a/BEwTi

edit: my centrifuge just got delivered a few weeks ago. Time to start making some crazy cocktails, pea butter, fresh cream butter, etc. Next up is a nitrogen dewar.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Are there any really good/somewhat inexpensive places that are semi-close to The Masquerade?

deep13
Jan 2, 2013

RHIN0002 posted:

Are there any really good/somewhat inexpensive places that are semi-close to The Masquerade?

Assuming you're looking for a "high-end of the low-end" type place, check out The Local. It's a bar, but their food is always surprisingly good (and cheap). It's probably a 10 minute walk from the Masquerade.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Chai Pani dinner is on! I talked with my friend, so we're good to go. Plan on April 23-24th or so 8:30pm+. I need to see when my friend and head chef is working that week, to make sure he's there (final time is dependent on his shift). He'll come out and talk with everyone once it slows down a little bit (after 9?). He's spent a lot time in India working at various restaurants, kitchens, etc - refining his techniques. He's also a tall, blonde, white guy that's fluent in Hindi. I'll also buy a few large rounds of apps for everyone, so you can try nearly everything on the menu. I figure about 12-14 of us are going, but more are welcome.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
That sounds awesome. I've been meaning to go to Chai Pani, I would love to go to this and learn about the dishes. :) Thanks for organizing this.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Prefer 24th

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Any night works for me. I would offer parking, but my apartments lot fills up by seven. There are usually spots on the side street next to my complex and they are not permit parking. There are also several metered spots on N. Candler that are not monitored past six. It would be more of a walk, but I have found that parking by the restaurant blows goats.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Generally, parking around Decatur annoys me enough that I just go for the bigger government lots and walk a little further to avoid paying and/or spending ages hunting for a spot.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

I usually park just west of the restaurant, to the right on the residential street. Never had a problem on the weekends. At odd hours, you can find parking in their lot too.

Also, who all has gone to Paper Plane? I'm thinking about going there this weekend to check it out.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

deep13 posted:

Assuming you're looking for a "high-end of the low-end" type place, check out The Local. It's a bar, but their food is always surprisingly good (and cheap). It's probably a 10 minute walk from the Masquerade.

the local is ok for drinks, but the food is pretty bbbbbbbbbb in my opinion. not horrible, but the bookhouse is right next door to the local and usually boatloads better I think.

camelli's is my favorite cheap pizza joint too, and it's in there with the murder kroger, also right across the street from the masq.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

mindphlux posted:

the local is ok for drinks, but the food is pretty bbbbbbbbbb in my opinion. not horrible, but the bookhouse is right next door to the local and usually boatloads better I think.

Seconding this.

mindphlux posted:

camelli's is my favorite cheap pizza joint too, and it's in there with the murder kroger, also right across the street from the masq.

I park in that lot exclusively when I go to shows there, with others and alone. It's going to be my undoing.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

soapgish posted:

Seconding this.

I park in that lot exclusively when I go to shows there, with others and alone. It's going to be my undoing.

nigga you gon get towed while being murdered watching other people get towed while being murdered. godspeed, you brave brave goon.

I don't go to the masq often, but when I do, I just find a side street to park on. there are tons of them, and I've never had trouble finding a spot that's any further than parking in the murder kroger lot.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I don't go to the masq often, but when I do, I just find a side street to park on. there are tons of them, and I've never had trouble finding a spot that's any further than parking in the murder kroger lot.

I used to live right on Glen Iris, and I can confirm that plenty of people park wherever for Masquerade shows. The only time this was a problem was when ICP was playing, and juggalos knocked over the yard debris bags I had spent so long filling.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Also, who all has gone to Paper Plane? I'm thinking about going there this weekend to check it out.

I knew there was a restaurant I wanted to try this past weekend, but I couldn't remember what it was. :argh:

Anyway, everything I've read and heard has said it was great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm going to a short conference in Decatur, getting in around lunchtime this Thursday and leaving Saturday afternoon. It sounds like I have a group dinner on Friday night at the Square Pub near my hotel, which looks very casual and cheap but pretty good -- my perfect kind of place. Any thoughts on it?

Beyond that, I'll probably be able to fit in a lunch and a dinner on Thursday, most likely by myself. Cakes and Ale just doesn't look that great for those prices, especially since I'll be dining alone (and hopefully getting reimbursed by my company, so I can't go too extravagant). However, Iberian Pig sounds awesome, and I love jamon iberico and cured meats in general. What would be the best things to order there, trying to keep the bill around $30 max? I don't drink, for what it's worth.

I hear there is a Varsity location at the Atlanta airport. I'm not sure which terminal I'll be flying out of on Saturday afternoon, but will that matter? I'd love to try it if I can, without having to go back out through security or anything like that. I don't think I'll have time to visit the World of Coca-Cola, but I was actually looking forward to sampling sodas from around the world.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Don't bother with the Varsity unless you really like grease-making GBS threads in airplane bathrooms.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hutla posted:

Don't bother with the Varsity unless you really like grease-making GBS threads in airplane bathrooms.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm going to a short conference in Decatur, getting in around lunchtime this Thursday and leaving Saturday afternoon. It sounds like I have a group dinner on Friday night at the Square Pub near my hotel, which looks very casual and cheap but pretty good -- my perfect kind of place. Any thoughts on it?
Assuming you're staying at the Courtyard (or even if you aren't), you should definitely check out Brick Store Pub which is about 100 yards away from Square Pub and IMO a much more exciting place to visit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

World of Coca-Cola

Don't worry, 99% of the World of Coca-Cola is the sickening realization that you just paid $16 to be exposed to a never-ending stream of coke advertisements for several hours.

Iberian Pig is delicious. The only downside is that you could easily spend your $30 on one or two appetizers if you're not careful. I usually don't get out of there for under $50/head. It's so worth it, though. If I had a hard $30 limit, I'd probably go all-tapas and get the Huevos con Trufas, Albondigas, and maybe the Chorizo con Cidra. Definitely the first two things, though.

Brick Store is a good bet. If you or your party are into Belgian beers, they have an upstairs section devoted to that. On the other hand, the owners of the Square Pub have a thing for roasted chili peppers from New Mexico, so if you want pub food with a little New Mexican flair, that could be a good choice.

mindphlux posted:

Hutla posted:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Oh man, I would so be that guy spending the entire flight suffering in the bathroom, too. Thank you for the sage warning!

Maybe I'll have lunch at Brick Store Pub and a light dinner at Iberian Pig on Thursday, if the timing works out. Thanks for all the advice.

deep13
Jan 2, 2013

mindphlux posted:

Their BBQ sandwich has always been really good -- maybe that had something to do with the drinks, though...

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Hutla posted:

Do bother with the Varsity, but only for a frozen orange.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Do bother with the Varsity, but only for a frozen orange.

That sounds like the best advice of all. I love orange-flavored anything. Is it like a milkshake or a slushie, or something else? This way I can avoid being placed on the Do Not Fly List.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Definitely do eat Varsity food if you're like me and have the intestinal fortitude of A Real Man™ :unsmigghh:

For real though, it's greasy fast food. It has the effect that any greasy fast food has. I recommend it to people as a joke as much as anything, though I seriously do like their chili dogs and onion rings. I'm not sure why the thread has such a seething hatred for it.

The frosted orange is somewhere between an orange julius and a milkshake. It's kind of hard to describe.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
haha, man, if empty quoting is 'seething hatred', I'd hate to hear what my actual seething hatred would be called. sounds like someone lacks the internet posting fortitude of A Real Poster™ :unsmigghh:

;) jus playin. I have fond memories of the varsity and their completely loaded chili dogs and onion rings, but.... I also have fond memories of spraying greasy watery meatchunks out my butthole hours afterwards. given the bowl size of the toilets on an average domestic flight, I'd highly recommend not unleashing that kind of carnage on an innocent unsuspecting lavatory.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I used to live in the North Ave dorms at Georgia Tech, and the handful of times I went to the Varsity I was just disappointed. Mediocre burgers and fries that cost too drat much. Also, they closed at what, 11?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Got a sandwich named after me! (@Blue House Market in Norcross)

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

That sounds like the best advice of all. I love orange-flavored anything. Is it like a milkshake or a slushie, or something else? This way I can avoid being placed on the Do Not Fly List.

It's kind of halfway between a milkshake and a slushie, I guess? It tastes like orange sherbert (sherbet? whatever) and is the best thing ever.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

I'm heading down to ATL with some people on a limited budget - what's the best bang for the buck places? We'll be down there Thursday night -> Sunday morning (though probably spending Saturday at Sweetwater Fest, hoping Parliament Funkadelic plays Maggot Brain).

We'll probably hit one nicer place (probably Holeman and Finch) - so if you were drawing up your perfect list of cheap eats for Thursday night, 3 meals Friday, lunch and maybe dinner Saturday and then Sunday brunch, what would it be?

Nothing too weird either :(

(I may tell everybody to get lost Thursday night and take the wife to Bacchanalia)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

crm posted:

I'm heading down to ATL with some people on a limited budget - what's the best bang for the buck places? We'll be down there Thursday night -> Sunday morning (though probably spending Saturday at Sweetwater Fest, hoping Parliament Funkadelic plays Maggot Brain).

We'll probably hit one nicer place (probably Holeman and Finch) - so if you were drawing up your perfect list of cheap eats for Thursday night, 3 meals Friday, lunch and maybe dinner Saturday and then Sunday brunch, what would it be?

Nothing too weird either :(

(I may tell everybody to get lost Thursday night and take the wife to Bacchanalia)

Thursday
-- Bacchanalia or w/evs
-- Ormsby's for drinks?

Friday
-- Breakfast
----Rise N' Dine near Emory University
----Java Jive, Midtown
----Home Grown, Memorial Drive

-- Lunch (assuming you didn't sleep in and have breakfast for lunch)
---- Grindhouse Killer Burgers
---- Chai Pani (Indian Restaurant in Decatur)
---- Fellini's Pizza? Ooh! Antico Pizza!

-- Dinner
---- Cowtippers (It's a gay steak house, but if you ignore the looks you'll get as a heterosexual couple, it's really quite reasonably priced.)
---- Fox Brothers' Barbecue (might be a wait. Parking blows.)
---- Any of the lunch suggestions

Saturday
-- Lunch
---- Vortex (Reasonable walk from Candler Park)
---- Flying Biscuit (Very close to Candler Park, good lunch food, mediocre breakfast food, their biscuits actually kinda suck)

-- Dinner
---- Anything in Little 5 Points. Vortex if you didn't go there for lunch, Savage Pizza, that Indian place, etc.

Sunday
-- Brunch
---- Rise N' Dine
---- Java Jive

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

---- Cowtippers (It's a gay steak house, but if you ignore the looks you'll get as a heterosexual couple, it's really quite reasonably priced.)

I did not know this. I drive by Cowtippers every Sunday on my way to brunch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

I did not know this. I drive by Cowtippers every Sunday on my way to brunch.

I didn't know this for quite some time, until I was driving past with some friends.

"Oh, Cowtippers, I love that place!"

"You know it's a gay steakhouse, right?"

The next time I went back, it really put the gigantic pride flag, naked cowboys on the menus, Sex in the City marathon, and tight jean shorts on the waiters in perspective. (Also the time I didn't realize the bathroom was occupied, and I spent a good minute trying to open the door before asking, "Wait, is there someone in here?")

The funniest part is that I went there with a fundie friend of mine. I can't imagine how uncomfortable he must have been if he realized.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

Definitely do eat Varsity food if you're like me and have the intestinal fortitude of A Real Man™ :unsmigghh:

For real though, it's greasy fast food. It has the effect that any greasy fast food has. I recommend it to people as a joke as much as anything, though I seriously do like their chili dogs and onion rings. I'm not sure why the thread has such a seething hatred for it.

The frosted orange is somewhere between an orange julius and a milkshake. It's kind of hard to describe.

The Varsity is actually a very old part of Georgia Tech's curriculum meant to teach critical life skills in the hardest way possible (the same way they do everything) kind of like drown proofing. Some people need to spend four years reading dead Greeks to figure out that the first step to wisdom is to know thyself. The Varisty is GT's original liberal arts curriculum in that way; just as Oedipus had to wander blind for rebelling against the threads of fate, so to does the Varsity sentence you to thermobaric shits for your impertinence.

So too do we learn that, as Ecclesiastes says, all is vanity. Here the just man eateth but one chili steak and onion ring and his butt is terribly afflicted. There the wicked man consumeth five chili slaw dogs but walks right into Bobby Dodd Stadium. We cannot know the workings of the chili.

Seriously though, figure out how much grease you can handle. If my tiny, dyspepsia prone significant other can enjoy the varsity by eating an appropriate amount, so can you. Also, if you're getting a hamburger you're doing it wrong. You might be happier stopping by a nice McDonald's. Get the chili slaw dog and the chili cheese steak. No, it doesn't matter if you think that sounds good. It's a significant and historic part of Atlanta's food culture, and to understand it you need to experience it.

Also, I love that Cowtippers has made this chat. Don't neglect seeing something at Smith's next door.

I also think this thread needs to give some consideration to:

Local Three- Northside Parkway between West Paces and Northside Drive. Has a serious point to make about the southern as fine dining thing that everyone seems to have latched on to these days, but draws from influences around the globe depending on what fits. The menu rotates seasonally, so nothing sticks around more than 6 months at a time. Something on the menu has consistently been on my top 3 recent meals since the place opened. And when the chef really gets it right I learn something about an ingredient I never knew before. That Chris Hall consistently does this with things like (most recently) pork shoulder that I have been eating and cooking for life really makes me happy. Also, their atmosphere is refined, but the portrait of the Dude with His Beverage and the rest of the decor keep things feeling down to earth. Their bar has a ludicrous number of bourbons and featured drinks that are always both fascinating and delicious. Fairly pricey.

Shoya- as far as sushi goes, this is the best fish I've tasted in Atlanta. It's on Peachtree Industrial. The Izakaya is built around drinking, so in some ways the food has similarities to a Taco Mac as seen from a completely different culture. Their menu is enormous and I frankly have no idea how they manage to execute a menu that huge so consistently. My rule when I go is that I need to try at least one thing that I've never had before and I have no idea what it might taste like. The various rice dishes are delicious and cheap and the kushiyaki is fantastic (again, get at least one thing you don't understand at all).
It's also an instant fun evening to sit down at the sushi bar and tell the chef that you have no idea about shochu or awamori, but want to try. This place can be very pricey if you drink a lot an order a lot of raw fish, or can cost under $15 a person if you just want a rice dish or something like that.