Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013
I have also just dug up my old skateboard, I am really going to try and get into skateboarding this year. The goal for this year is to learn an Ollie but my back foot seems to have a mind of it's own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuncType
Mar 29, 2007

Tactical Wiener Lover

ElephantCrave posted:

I have also just dug up my old skateboard, I am really going to try and get into skateboarding this year. The goal for this year is to learn an Ollie but my back foot seems to have a mind of it's own.

When I used to ride shortboards it took like a year for me to learn to ollie. Just get out and spend an hour a day in a parking lot and you'll be fine.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I found this pretty helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtyY4x-tW6g

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Do what I didn't do and learn how to ollie on a proper popsicle stick board. Learning that poo poo on longboards and pool decks was an exercise in frustration. I picked up street skating over the winter and it's incredible how easy it is to ollie a proper skateboard.

On the other hand: I can ollie 40" boards now :clint:. It's super exhausting trying to lift all that weight and you have to wear leather/suede shoes to deal with longboard grip.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, being able to ollie a 38" doublekick, and 37" 9-ply maple single makes ollieing street decks trivial. They just feel so absurdly light. I really love my EW Crewzer but I am debating selling it for a smaller, preferably sym double kick. Want something I can alternate between tech sliding and cruising.

yeee 180 noseblunt slide first try
it was slow and small but it was still satisfying since I haven't skated in ages and can't slide for poo poo anymore

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 8, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
What you want is a Comet Shred 35 and ride it on paris trucks with all cone bushings.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Actually, its a Rayne Renegade with Indys/Trackers/Indeesz and Abec 11 No Skoolz
I stood on a Shred 35 when I was in NYC for the Broadway Bomb and it was pretty cool, but symmetry and bamboo are rad.
I reeaally like my Caliber 44s on my Crewzer though.
I need a bit more concave and symmetry would be a big plus for me. I'm probably better off getting a new dh/freeride deck before a smaller doublekick, though. I wanna hang up my Ethos for now, but I don't want to sell it cause its a proto.
The new Jati Chop Suey looks pretty drat rad. slight rocker, slight drop, pockets, and small kicks. 26-27" wheelbase, so perfect for 44cals
Also, I only ride cones in Indys.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 9, 2013

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ElephantCrave posted:

Did you ever learn how to ollie in the past? If so, and if you are still of an age that you would not consider "geriatric," you can relearn that poo poo in one night.

If not, learning to ollie before the year is up is a good goal. Pretty sure it took me a number of months back in the day. Nowadays, kids get their first skateboard and are all "alright, gotta learn how to do this "TRE FLIP" business by the weekend so I can show my friends at school next week"

Also, great way to learn any flat ground trick for the first time is to get between two waist-level objects (i.e. patio chairs or something) that can support your weight, and just try doing the trick between them while supporting your body with your hands/arms in the air. Just don't tell anyone you did this. I never did it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 9, 2013

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
It sounds to me like trying to ollie while holding on to poo poo would just gimp you and reinforce bad habits. My biggest problem with is that I tend to rotate my upper body out of alignment with my hips and it just fucks it all right up

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013

enojy posted:

Did you ever learn how to ollie in the past? If so, and if you are still of an age that you would not consider "geriatric," you can relearn that poo poo in one night.

If not, learning to ollie before the year is up is a good goal. Pretty sure it took me a number of months back in the day. Nowadays, kids get their first skateboard and are all "alright, gotta learn how to do this "TRE FLIP" business by the weekend so I can show my friends at school next week"

Also, great way to learn any flat ground trick for the first time is to get between two waist-level objects (i.e. patio chairs or something) that can support your weight, and just try doing the trick between them while supporting your body with your hands/arms in the air. Just don't tell anyone you did this. I never did it.

No I didn't learn to ollie in the past but I usually just used my board for transport and the odd shove it but now definitely I want to learn a bit of street skating, Plus that's what my board was more designed for in the first place.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
here's a way to work on your ollies that will get you used to falling, too

step 1) get milk carton
step 2) ollie that motherfucker

don't look at the milk carton, look past it, push fast and pop that motherfucker and find bigger things to ollie over and across

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013
Ha I think milk might help me a little, first day of re learning and managed to land a shove it after a couple attempts, tried again and fell in a heap on my arm, it is swollen and can't be bent straight but who needs a working arm anyway, shove it city here I come. I will try the milk carton method for my ollies too.

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

Nice tutorial. Was wondering where I could find an invisible ramp - problem solved :supaburn:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i meant milk crate, i wrote that post late. but yeah, milk crates are helpful for getting your poo poo online

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

maffew buildings posted:

i meant milk crate, i wrote that post late. but yeah, milk crates are helpful for getting your poo poo online

Milk carton might be more appropriate for some people who are starting out. Hell, I started out ollie'ing over a garden hose.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah really start out just ollieing over a plastic cup or something that won't gently caress you up and send you flying it you land on it, then move up. I just try to ollie cracks in the street in front of my house. I really need to get myself to ollie at more than 2mph though

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

I've been longboarding for a while now - it's cool, I want to get into street skating as well now, so I'm looking for a decent setup. I don't give a gently caress if it's new or used as long as it feels and rides alright. I've found a guy who's selling a setup he's used on and off for 6 months and since I literally don't know anything about street skate hardware, I was thinking some of you guys can give excellent advice.

Deck: Real (8.25)
Trucks: Independent 149 Indys
Wheels: spitfire parkburners 52mm

and then Bones Reds, heres a pic

go/no go?

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013

Slap Dizzy posted:

I've been longboarding for a while now - it's cool, I want to get into street skating as well now, so I'm looking for a decent setup. I don't give a gently caress if it's new or used as long as it feels and rides alright. I've found a guy who's selling a setup he's used on and off for 6 months and since I literally don't know anything about street skate hardware, I was thinking some of you guys can give excellent advice.

go/no go?

Deck size I find is completely personal preference I run a 7.75 but if you want a bigger board that's up to you some people find bigger boards more stable when starting out. Independent are a well recommended truck company so that should be alright and most people use 52-54mm wheels and those parkburners look decent plus Bones reds are widely renowned as they were specifically designed for skateboarding. If you fancy the look of it I would recommend buying the board, if you don't like the size of the deck you could always buy another and then hang the old one on your wall or something of equivalent coolness.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
An 8.25 will feel way better than anything smaller will, if you're coming from a longboarding background.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Horizontal Tree posted:

An 8.25 will feel way better than anything smaller will, if you're coming from a longboarding background.

Yeah, personally I find anything less than 8" to be too narrow.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, most street decks are far too narrow. My double kick is 9.5 wide. When I get something new it'll be closer to 9.25. I wish I could find a good tech slide-y double kick around 9".
On the other hand, I often shy away from 10" dh/fr boards because I have small feet and find them pretty wide. Depends on the concave. With radial cave I need a narrower deck, but with elliptical/flatcave the extra width can be more comfortable and it locks you in great.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Slap Dizzy posted:

go/no go?

Other guy made a good point that 8.25 would make a nice transitional size from longboarding, but do know that it's dipping into vert-riding status, and it could prove to be a monster of a board to get in the air and flip under your feet. A good size for street skating is typically 7.65 - 8.00, varying by your personal preference and size of your feet/body. That said, if the guy is asking $50 or less, I'd go for it. Everything is clearly in good shape, unless it's been soaked/rained on.

The only downside is, if you get into it and decide your next deck after this is going to be like 7.75 for example, you'd need to buy narrower trucks to go along with it. Reason being; it's not OK for your wheels to jut out the sides of your board on a street skating board. You want to match the width of the trucks to the width of the board as closely as possible.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 12, 2013

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
After riding my Crewzer for the past few days, just cruising and doing simple slides, its bringing back my lust for a Rayne Phantom. I need bux, man. I need boards.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
The average width of regular skateboards has increased over the last 10 years or so. I remember 7.5 / 7.75 being really common because "they're easier to flip". Nowadays it's kinda hard to find anything under 8 (my local shop only has a handful). I dug out an old 7.75 deck recently and it felt really weird and precarious. It's crazy how much you can notice 1/4 inch differences with your feet.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 12, 2013

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

enojy posted:

Other guy made a good point that 8.25 would make a nice transitional size from longboarding, but do know that it's dipping into vert-riding status, and it could prove to be a monster of a board to get in the air and flip under your feet. A good size for street skating is typically 7.65 - 8.00, varying by your personal preference and size of your feet/body. That said, if the guy is asking $50 or less, I'd go for it. Everything is clearly in good shape, unless it's been soaked/rained on.

The only downside is, if you get into it and decide your next deck after this is going to be like 7.75 for example, you'd need to buy narrower trucks to go along with it. Reason being; it's not OK for your wheels to jut out the sides of your board on a street skating board. You want to match the width of the trucks to the width of the board as closely as possible.

OK good points, duly noted. I actually ollie OK on my 40" longboard and I'm pretty close to kickflipping the little poo poo, so I recon a board weighing next to nothing, in comparison, will do that too at some point :airquote: I'll go with the 8.25 for now and then have my friend buy a 8.00 deck for himself. This way I can switch around and see which suits me better for future buy. Thanks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I always rode 7.75s, but my most recent board is an 8. I've gotta say, I wish I'd stuck with 7.75. Granted, I'm a small guy, but I just prefer the feel of a smaller board.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i got some of those Bones street formula wheels, the 53mm sierra fellers. i've not rode anything other than pig in...a long time and i gotta say, these are smooth and sick. they just feel steady under your feet. also bones reds are pretty decent because i'm not trying to go so fast i can gap 4 lanes of traffic. i feel weird because they're not my usual FKDs but hey new things are cool. i'm not switching from venture though

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
So I finally decided to get back into skating after like a 10 year hiatus, not counting loving around on my brother's board every now and then. Bought a Deathwish, some Indys, Spitfires, and shop bearings and had a blast. Went from looking like Bambi walking for the first time to getting my ollies back pretty quick. Skated around the neighborhood and a skatepark down the street for like 4 hours while getting nice and sunburnt yesterday. I decided to go out early this morning before it got too hot (Vegas is always hot) at the local family park and before people showed up. Started ollieing over sticks and the lines painted into the basketball court when I was feeling adventurous and wanted to try a ~2' flat grass gap from the court to the sidewalk. Missed it the first time and tried again and uhh...

Put like 5 hours into this thing :l

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Jjaarreett posted:

So I finally decided to get back into skating after like a 10 year hiatus, not counting loving around on my brother's board every now and then. Bought a Deathwish, some Indys, Spitfires, and shop bearings and had a blast. Went from looking like Bambi walking for the first time to getting my ollies back pretty quick. Skated around the neighborhood and a skatepark down the street for like 4 hours while getting nice and sunburnt yesterday. I decided to go out early this morning before it got too hot (Vegas is always hot) at the local family park and before people showed up. Started ollieing over sticks and the lines painted into the basketball court when I was feeling adventurous and wanted to try a ~2' flat grass gap from the court to the sidewalk. Missed it the first time and tried again and uhh...

Put like 5 hours into this thing :l

Ah that sucks. Take it back to the shop if you can. Most places are very reasonable if a board breaks so soon after purchase.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

XIII posted:

I always rode 7.75s, but my most recent board is an 8. I've gotta say, I wish I'd stuck with 7.75. Granted, I'm a small guy, but I just prefer the feel of a smaller board.
I was riding an 8 for a long time, then got a penny and pretty much gave up on my "street" board. I got on it the other day to skate around while my wife learned how to rollerskate and holy crap, it just feels so unwieldly and giant and heavy, even with Thunder hollow trucks and 52a wheels.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.
I'm getting back into skating because I miss it and I need exercise, been about 6 years since I stopped, I'm 26 now.
I used to be pretty good, placed in a few local comps and skated every single day.
I went through some personal and family issues that made me stop, my life is finally back on track now though and I still dream about skating.

(Does anyone else get sweaty feet when lying in bed imagining tricks?)

Just ordered a new deck from a company I've never heard of and I don't think I ever skated anything more than a 7.65 so I went with a 7.75 which was kinda hard to find.

Now to just find a quiet, smooth car park after work when it arrives and have a proper skate like the old days, If I can still ollie up a curb it'll be good :)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Have there been any good video releases since "Pretty Sweet"?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Bones "New Ground 2" where you can watch dude's do things where they could die. the new Creature video comes out in a couple weeks if you like transitions and stuff

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I did really like all the Creature vids I've seen, thaaaaaanks

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The Creature video (CSFU) came with this month's Thrasher so it's around, I thought it was fully released. It's pretty good, I like Creature videos. They tend to have team jams and stuff mixed in with separate parts, more of a team vibe than a lot of other teams vids plus lots more tranny skating than most current vids.

ApocalypseMeow posted:

I'm getting back into skating because I miss it and I need exercise, been about 6 years since I stopped, I'm 26 now.

Good luck dude, you will not regret it. Skating is awesome and sometimes it's easy to take it for granted and forget what it really is. I got back in when I was 32 or so, I've been at it again for about 4 years now. you'll have it easy with your 26-year-old-still-young-as-poo poo-body. Prepare to feel out of shape (maybe?)

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 16, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ahhhh, I knew they had a vid coming with a Thrasher soon. I've actually been out of skating for the most part for years but all my girlfriends little cousins are desperate to learn how to ollie so I've been cruising around on their street recently. Landed a few shuv-its, blew some tiny minds...getting my ollie back slowly. It's good times.

I can't wait to go do the Seattle Center park sometime soon.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Good luck dude, you will not regret it. Skating is awesome and sometimes it's easy to take it for granted and forget what it really is. I got back in when I was 32 or so, I've been at it again for about 4 years now. you'll have it easy with your 26-year-old-still-young-as-poo poo-body. Prepare to feel out of shape (maybe?)

I'm in horrible shape but not a smoker any more so there's that at least. Need to dig out some old videos, I think I still have Photosynthesis on VHS somewhere, not that I have anything to play it on...

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

photosynthesis was dope and didn't have a disturbing lennie kirk part

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

So I've been desperately hoping someone can tell me more about this gif; what is it from, who is it, how can I learn to hack physics to bend it to my will, all that sort of stuff. I tried reverse image searching it but all I got was a reddit thread, some dude's tumblr and websites like "hugelol dot org"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I don't know but that is loving rad.