Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Nilbop posted:

I'm still not sold with the idea of Reiner and Bertholdt being sent in with the most important jobs in the Titan nation at the tender age of, what, 12? It's just nudging the manga away from the survival-mystery-horror niche and more into the mainstream. Which I'm not saying it wouldn't have had to do to keep going, but it just doesn't gel for me right now.

It's possible that they weren't actually responsible for Wall Maria being breached, and are just the second individuals to become those sorts of titans. They might have claimed that to get Eren more interested in hearing what they had to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I bet it's easier to sneak a kid in than an adult. Especially if their goal is to infiltrate the military, using someone the age of all the other fresh recruits makes a lot of sense.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TTBF posted:

It's possible that they weren't actually responsible for Wall Maria being breached, and are just the second individuals to become those sorts of titans. They might have claimed that to get Eren more interested in hearing what they had to say.

This would be a really dumb fakeout.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Nilbop posted:

I'm still not sold with the idea of Reiner and Bertholdt being sent in with the most important jobs in the Titan nation at the tender age of, what, 12? It's just nudging the manga away from the survival-mystery-horror niche and more into the mainstream. Which I'm not saying it wouldn't have had to do to keep going, but it just doesn't gel for me right now.

I got the impression that they did it because they were stupid kids, not because they were under orders to do it. Was there somewhere they said they got orders to bust up the human walls that I forgot about? Reiner makes it sound like they learned about the humans behind the walls and attacked in hopes of wiping them out, and that now that he's been with them for the last 3 years he's come to realize they aren't what he expected and he has grown conflicted about what to do. The only thing he says that makes it sound like he was given a task was saying he's going to do his duty, but that could be a duty he gave himself like "protect the abnormal titans from humanity by wiping them out".

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 14, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Given how the anime just showed Annie among the refugees--quite possibly with the attack being the time they snuck her in--I don't think the attack was just kids being kids.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mo_Steel posted:

I got the impression that they did it because they were stupid kids, not because they were under orders to do it. Was there somewhere they said they got orders to bust up the human walls that I forgot about?

Everything else they've done has been under orders, they haven't explicitly said their original attack on the wall was but we have no reason to doubt it at this point. And kids don't go attack the last bastion of human civilization and personally kill hundreds of people (and enable the genocide of thousands) because they're dicking around. If they did, a) that doesn't mesh at all with previous depictions of Reiner or Bertholdt and b) it says a lot of dumb stuff about the Titan-nation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I just cant wait for the potato scene in the anime.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I can't wait for the "Sasha farted" scene.

Sasha is the best.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

RatHat posted:

This would be a really dumb fakeout.

It definitely would be. It's the only reason I could think of for them to lie about having broken Wall Maria, which is something I'm fairly sure they did do.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mind the walrus posted:

With that said I'm still wondering what the point of inserting Annie into the City Guard is if so far all we've seen her do is blow her cover via seemingly pointless operations in the forests outside of the city. Seems really risky for someone whose entire operation is ostensibly to be in the "inner circle" of humans as a Titan back-up.

It wasn't until after they got their assignments that everyone found out Eren could turn into a Titan. At that point I'm sure the plans got revised, and Annie was the best choice since Reiner and Bernholdt were part of the Scouting Legion with Eren and it would be suspicious if they did it.

Mo_Steel posted:

I got the impression that they did it because they were stupid kids, not because they were under orders to do it. Was there somewhere they said they got orders to bust up the human walls that I forgot about? Reiner makes it sound like they learned about the humans behind the walls and attacked in hopes of wiping them out, and that now that he's been with them for the last 3 years he's come to realize they aren't what he expected and he has grown conflicted about what to do. The only thing he says that makes it sound like he was given a task was saying he's going to do his duty, but that could be a duty he gave himself like "protect the abnormal titans from humanity by wiping them out".

I don't really buy that they learned that the people behind the walls weren't all that bad and became conflicted over their plan to destroy "humanity". After all they did attack the second wall just a few months or so ago and were only stopped when it turned out Eren could go Titan.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm not sure why'd they both with spy games if the goal was just to wipe people out. They easily could have just kicked in the rest of the gates by now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Post from the anime thread:

Popehoist posted:

Look at these cocky assholes. I hope they're the first to get eaten by Titans.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

The Devil Tesla posted:

It took all my willpower not to reply to that comment. :getin:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Devil Tesla posted:

I just read this in the other thread. It was almost sadistic joyful.

I hope to God no one spoils that thread.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm not sure why'd they both with spy games if the goal was just to wipe people out. They easily could have just kicked in the rest of the gates by now.

No idea. They could have just gone ahead and kicked down all the walls 5 years ago if they wanted. It's not like there's anyone who could have stopped them.

The Devil Tesla posted:

That's like the worst kind of rear end in a top hat I'm not spoiling things post.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

We have to wait for season 2 to bring it up though. :qq:

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Reiner looks like a much bigger rear end in a top hat in the anime. Goddamn.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
To be fair they looked equally rear end in a top hat-ish in the same manga scene as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Devil Tesla posted:

Can we not do this poo poo, guys.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Autumncomet posted:

We have to wait for season 2 to bring it up though. :qq:

The anime is getting 25 eps, so I think they might actually get to where the manga is right now.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

The Devil Tesla posted:

I really hope that's a genuine opinion and not that Popehoist has read the manga and being an rear end in a top hat.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

I would guess that guy's read or heard about the manga and he's being a troll. I would guess.

Though it would be hilarious otherwise.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Popehoist posted:

To be fair they looked equally rear end in a top hat-ish in the same manga scene as well.

Way to spoil my dreams.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

As a result of the recent chapter, I am picturing an Eren titan cosplayer and a Ryner titan cosplayer getting into a legit wrestling match at some anime convention. It is glorious.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Level Slide posted:

As a result of the recent chapter, I am picturing an Eren titan cosplayer and a Ryner titan cosplayer getting into a legit wrestling match at some anime convention. It is glorious.

Don't forget the 60 meter face-slam at the end!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This is a little off topic, but I could really go for a nice steak about now.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

People who have read the manga should probably just not post in the anime thread at all at this point. I know we're all totally stoked to re-visit the series after almost two years of reading it with this thread, but that poo poo is getting ridiculous.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Just report the ones that lack restraint

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah, and with the JoJo thread setting a precedent for that, the mods have already kinda been explicit about how they respond to that kind of thing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Popehoist posted:

Please don't do this kind of poo poo.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Jackard posted:

Just report the ones that lack restraint

Mods keep a vigilant watch for nonsense; a responsible poster does her duty.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
104th Training Class, Ranks No. 5 to 2

Ranked No. 5 - Eren Jaegar - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 9

Ranked No. 4 - Annie Leonhardt - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 31

Ranked No. 3 - Bertholdt Fubar - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 42

Ranked No. 2 - Reiner Braun - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 42

Seems to me that there's a trend building up here.

EDIT: I'm going back to check whether Mikasa wears an iron ring or guards her neck when she fights.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 15, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

104th Training Class, Ranks No. 5 to 2

Ranked No. 5 - Eren Jaegar - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 9

Ranked No. 4 - Annie Leonhardt - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 31

Ranked No. 3 - Bertholdt Fubar - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 42

Ranked No. 2 - Reiner Braun - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 42

Seems to me that there's a trend building up here.

Ranked No . 1 - Mikasa Ackerman - Revealed as The Best at Titan Killing in Chapter 1

Not surprising that she ranked above them huh?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, Reiner has the weakest last name of all the human titans. Jaegar can mean a hunter, a type of soldier in some militaries, or a type of bird that harasses other birds to steal their prey; Leonhardt looks like Lionheart; Fubar is pretty descriptive of Titan transformation and what they do to people; and then Braun means brown.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

Man, Reiner has the weakest last name of all the human titans. Jaegar can mean a hunter, a type of soldier in some militaries, or a type of bird that harasses other birds to steal their prey; Leonhardt looks like Lionheart; Fubar is pretty descriptive of Titan transformation and what they do to people; and then Braun means brown.

"Brown" is what your pants look like when you see a Titan.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Who won in that fistfight between Annie and Mikasa? Was it ever revealed?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Thoren posted:

Who won in that fistfight between Annie and Mikasa? Was it ever revealed?

Nope, because as always Eren is poo poo at remembering anything.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Braun is a homonym with "brawn," which fits quite well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gyges posted:

The scanlators just chose a really weird romanization. Bertholdt's last name is supposed to be Hoover, or Huber if they wanted to follow the Germanic naming convention the mangaka has going with Jaeger and Ackerman and so on.

Wikipedia tells me Huber means something like wealthy land owner, so it's not like Reiner's alone in being mundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ShardPhoenix posted:

I'll post my speculations on the plot for the amusement of the manga readers, since I've enjoyed seeing the same from non-book-reading Game of Thrones viewers.

- Eren's dad was working on some sort of biological technology, possibly something that can lead to superhuman powers or even turn a person into a titan (or equivalent). If so, Eren will use it on himself.

- At least one of the main characters will die, most likely the blond kid since he seems the most extraneous (and the ED focuses on the other two).

- Mikasa might die. It would be emotionally effective since she's obviously going to be an enjoyable character. It wouldn't happen early though because she's too important (and stars in the ED). In fact, if she was going to die it'd probably be near the end of the story which doesn't exist yet, so probably not. Dammit, now I'm getting paranoid that she *will* die just because the series is supposed to be super-shocking and subversive and all that.

- Eren probably won't die but I wouldn't be totally shocked if he does.

- The titans will turn out to have been mutated humans or genetic experiments or something like that (as opposed to a natural or mystical origin).

- The super-titans will turn out to either be, or be under the control of, an intelligent and directed force that is specifically attacking humans, unlike the animalistic regular titans that are just looking to eat.

- The series is set on Earth in the future rather than some pure-fantasy land (obvious?).

- There will be humans living somewhere else outside of the walls, whether in another walled location or in some hidden village or cave.

- The next wall at least will fall at some point, and I wouldn't be surprised if they all did. Probably too obvious to count as a prediction.

- The guys living in the centre will try to (quite possibly successfully) screw everyone else to save themselves (more than they already have anyway).

I kind-of want to play a game with this.

- Kind-of

- Not yet

- Not yet

- Kind-of

- So far as we know, yes

- Basically correct, yes

- As far as we know, yes

- Kind-of, if you count human-titans, though what he's talking about isn't ruled out either.

- Not yet, but pretty obvious

- Also pretty drat obviously going to happen, but hasn't officially yet.

This guy is good.