Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

ACID POLICE posted:

I just use a $3 PS2 memory card to USB thing that you can use with your PS3 or whatever.

Does this work for installing Free McBoot? I've heard the cheap clones don't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I bought one of those $50 eBay scalers. When it gets here on the slow boat I'll do a full review complete with some lag numbers, since that's what I'm wondering the most about

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So I bought one of those $50 eBay scalers. When it gets here on the slow boat I'll do a full review complete with some lag numbers, since that's what I'm wondering the most about

Yeah, let us know! I was looking into them so I could hook up my N64 and my GameCube to a monitor and have all my gaming stuff in one spot. I snatched one of those Wii to HDMI thingos for $10 off Amazon, hopefully it works :3:.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Also it's hilarious that the Mario/Tetris/Nintendo World Cup game will not work while the individual ROMs do. Does the title screen use a special mapper for some reason? :psyduck:

It's just an educated guess but I suspect they probably did something different with how they switch games on that one. Like a process to dump the memory and restart the NES with it referencing another memory location.

Timett posted:

So I've got a fat PS2, a skinny PS2 w/flip cover, a compatible HDD, the network adapter, Swap Magic 3 DVD disc (I lost the CD disc :(), a PS2 memory card...

I'm trying to run PS2 games off the hard drive but I can't figure out how to get the whatever file onto the memory card. Any tips?

I didn't use that method but this video claims to explain it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suwpclt92WY

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, here is my "lot" of "crap and/or duplicate games that aren't worth the time selling". If anyone is interested in any of this, just post a pic of your duplicates/crap collection and we can talk trade. Note: Justifier already given to Zenintrude.

Sorry for the terrible pics; if you can't make out a game just ask.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anyone have any cool retro gaming inspired 3D print stuff? From figures of characters and levels to useful stuff like enclosures and cartridge shells. I would love to see what people have done with retro gaming and 3D printing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Okay, here is my "lot" of "crap and/or duplicate games that aren't worth the time selling". If anyone is interested in any of this, just post a pic of your duplicates/crap collection and we can talk trade. Note: Justifier already given to Zenintrude.

Sorry for the terrible pics; if you can't make out a game just ask.

What is the 64 cart above v-rally? What is the gb cart to the left of the genesis motorcycle game and to the left of v-rally?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the 64 cart above v-rally? What is the gb cart to the left of the genesis motorcycle game and to the left of v-rally?

I wanna say the 64 cart is the Wayne Gretzky hockey game, the first gameboy game is Star Wars: Episode One Racer, and the other appears to be some NASCAR game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah it's a Star Wars Gameboy game; the reason the cart is strange looking is it takes a battery for RUMBLE TECHNOLOGY.

The cart above v-rally is Wayne Gretzky Hockey

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.
Sent you a PM hamburger about your duplicate games!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I want that GBC Mario Golf, Miyamotos RGB NES. Whatchu want for it?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Unmature posted:

I want that GBC Mario Golf, Miyamotos RGB NES. Whatchu want for it?

Take a pic of your unwanted/duplicate collection and I'll pick something out! That's half the fun!!!

Heran Bago posted:

So everything I've read says your 32X won't work with your overclocked Genesis. I must have been reading bullshit because now losing a ton of rings in Knuckles Chaotix isn't laggy and Space Harrier seems to has a slightly better framerate when there aren't enemies.

I just noticed your comment but I'd like to chime in that the Sega CD will not work in an overclocked Genesis. JJJJJS and me went mad trying to figure out why my Sega CD didn't work and that was it.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 15, 2013

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I've brought my SNES games out of retirement. I've been having a blast with them all day, but I notice that I still have save states and my game batteries seem to still work just fine. I know it's just a matter of time before I will need to replace the batteries in my cartridges. Are there any repair services that can do this for you? I'm way too :ohdear: to risk messing up Link to the Past, Earthbound, etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You'll lose your saves no matter who replaces the batteries. Unless you mean you're worried about physically messing them up?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You'll lose your saves no matter who replaces the batteries. Unless you mean you're worried about physically messing them up?

The save states I don't care about. I'm worried about messing up the cartridges themselves and making them uplayable.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Morby posted:

The save states I don't care about. I'm worried about messing up the cartridges themselves and making them uplayable.

I've never heard of a service that does this, but someone here I believe bought a Retrode with the idea that he would start a service, and can even back up your save! I think it was fatpat but I could be wrong. I'll let him chime in.

If you want to do it yourself, it's not very difficult; I can give you good instructions. Only requires a solder remover ($15 at Radio Shack) and a soldering iron (you can get a cheap one for this type of job for like $15 at Radio Shack) and that's about it.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Take a pic of your unwanted/duplicate collection and I'll pick something out! That's half the fun!!!

I just noticed your comment but I'd like to chime in that the Sega CD will not work in an overclocked Genesis. JJJJJS and me went mad trying to figure out why my Sega CD didn't work and that was it.

That was the weirdest thing. I can see it not working, sure that makes sense, but destroying the sega cd motherboard? Crazy.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's possible to retain saves by soldering a helper battery on to the relevant points, remove and replace the original battery, and finally remove the helper battery. I use that technique a ton when fixing arcade pcbs.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

If you want to do it yourself, it's not very difficult; I can give you good instructions.

Thanks for the help! I'd love to have the instructions!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JJJJJS posted:

It's possible to retain saves by soldering a helper battery on to the relevant points, remove and replace the original battery, and finally remove the helper battery. I use that technique a ton when fixing arcade pcbs.

Right, assuming you can find that balance between enough voltage to keep the save but not so much extra that it ruins things

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Since we're getting into this trading thing, here's a couple I don't mind getting rid of if anyone's interested.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Doubles/crap I don't want picture!

The no case disc is Lupin III for PS2
F-Zero has no insert, but does have the booklet and game
Final Fantasy Legends II's save battery is dead and the cart is cracked
X-Men is sealed, but still worthless

Let me know if you can't identify something.

Smaller Carts:
Sonic Pocket Adventure - NGPC
Metal Slug 2nd Mission - NGPC
Drill Dozer - GBA

Unmature fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 15, 2013

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Morby posted:

I've brought my SNES games out of retirement. I've been having a blast with them all day, but I notice that I still have save states and my game batteries seem to still work just fine. I know it's just a matter of time before I will need to replace the batteries in my cartridges. Are there any repair services that can do this for you? I'm way too :ohdear: to risk messing up Link to the Past, Earthbound, etc.

I offered to do it a couple of times for other people for a small fee, but no one ever took me up on the offer.

I replace all my games with a battery holder and I can restore the save file after putting a new battery in.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Right, assuming you can find that balance between enough voltage to keep the save but not so much extra that it ruins things

It doesn't work like that if you wire in a battery parallel.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 15, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Retro Games is flush with Turok copies.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

fatpat268 posted:

I offered to do it a couple of times for other people for a small fee, but no one ever took me up on the offer.

I replace all my games with a battery holder and I can restore the save file after putting a new battery in.

Sending you a PM. Thanks!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Nothing to see here.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 15, 2013

Unmature
May 9, 2008

zenintrude posted:

Nothing to see here.

Pretty much everything you have is worth a little more than two NGPC games.

EDIT:
You sly bastard.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Before I get into trading stuff, let me just say that rearranging one's shelves can lead to awesome stuff. I just rediscovered Astal for the Saturn and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it. It's absolutely beautiful and the soundtrack is fantastic too. So why was it neglected? For starters, it's a 2d side scroller from the 32-bit era, and one that came out for a failed system. It's also kinda easy. And as pretty as the graphics are, they're also cartoonish, which might make you think it was intended for kids. Maybe it was. Who cares? Disc only copies seem to hover in the $20-$30 range. Totally worth it if you don't mind a short game.

iastudent posted:

Since we're getting into this trading thing, here's a couple I don't mind getting rid of if anyone's interested.

I'd take pretty much anything there that isn't an N64 or GBA game, and Super Off Road in particular. Re-posting my meager heap.

Quiet Feet posted:

1: A Sega Dreamcast in very nonworking condition. It refused to read discs even before I destroyed the lens in an ill-advised attempt to fix it with no experience and no proper tools. Cables included.

2: A second Dreamcast with no physical deformities aside from a letter "B" written on the top with a magic marker. Who could have done this? Some kind of giant bee? Someone who wanted to mark which of his two Dreamcasts was the broken one before breaking the one that was supposed to not be broken (but turned out to be broken anyway)? In any event this one has the same disc reading problem as the other one, but no other damage. Cables and original box included.

3: (not pictured) One copy of Resident Evil: Code Veronica for the Dreamcast. With original jewel case and instruction booklet.

4: One copy of Alien Trilogy for the Saturn in a jewel case. No original box or instructions.

5: Medal of Honor: Vanguard for the PS2. With case and instructions. I could easily be persuaded to just give this away.

6: A manual for Revenge of the Gator on the Gameboy. Didn't someone here recently buy a copy of this? Giving it away. Taken by Unmature

7: A manual for Ghost Lion on the NES. Has a bit of discoloration on the bottom and some damage on the back. This had been glued into the back of a video rental box and was retrieved by applying Goo Gone. May smell faintly of citrus. Giving it away.

8: One manual for Dragon Warrior 3 on the NES. The front cover is no longer attached and the back cover is missing.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Unmature posted:

Doubles/crap I don't want picture!

The no case disc is Lupin III for PS2
F-Zero has no insert, but does have the booklet and game
Final Fantasy Legends II's save battery is dead and the cart is cracked
X-Men is sealed, but still worthless

Let me know if you can't identify something.

Smaller Carts:
Sonic Pocket Adventure - NGPC
Metal Slug 2nd Mission - NGPC
Drill Dozer - GBA

Definitely interested in that Super Puzzle Fighter, and probably FF Legend.

iastudent posted:

I'd be interested in Castlevania here.

Let's see what I can put together for trades, will edit in a moment.

Getting a picture, but I have:

Genesis:
6 Pack (Cart)
688 Attack Sub (CIB)
NBA Jam (Cart + Box)
Ecco the Dolphin (CIB)

SNES:
Stargate
Alien 3

NES:
Strider

GBA:
Contra Advance (no label)
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (no label)

DS:
Children of Mana
Dragon Quest IX

Here's a crappy pic:

Note that the Strider cart is covered in red sharpie and M&L has the name sharpied onto it. Contra Advance is a plain cart, but neither are pirated.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 15, 2013

Unmature
May 9, 2008

DeathBySpoon posted:

Dragon Quest IX

Me want.

Wait, is it cart only?

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 15, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Cart only, sorry. If you're still interested my email is athreshe@gmail.com. I'd be willing to leverage some paypal funds too or whatever.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Not much but here's my stuff I'm clearing out for trade.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

iastudent posted:

I know this whole thing is about trading, but I dont have anything to trade, except money, and I want your Body Harvest cart!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A while back we were talking about youtube channels we like.

I've been digging Game Sack: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrGameSack/videos?view=0

Its set up more like a TV show, and most episodes are around 30 minutes

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

StellarX posted:

Not much but here's my stuff I'm clearing out for trade.

I might be interested in the stick, what's the working condition of it?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know this whole thing is about trading, but I dont have anything to trade, except money, and I want your Body Harvest cart!

Money is fine. Just toss out an amount here or in PMs and we can work something out.

As for everyone else, I'm not seeing too much else of interest for the moment but I'll keep you guys in mind. I'll probably toss some more stuff up here tomorrow as well.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
I'm not trying to be obnoxious with the sideways photos. For some reason no matter the orientation before upload, photobucket reorients them in portrait mode. Rotating images within photobucket itself doesn't seem to help; neither does changing my user settings. Anyway...

*All items now traded*

Armack fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 23, 2013

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm interested in Dragon Power, but mostly out of morbid curiosity.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Unmature posted:

I'm interested in Dragon Power, but mostly out of morbid curiosity.

As someone who owns that cart, they tried about as hard to not call it a Dragon Ball game as they did trying to make it a good game. :v:

Jitzu_the_Monk, I'm sending you a PM in a moment!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

iastudent posted:

As someone who owns that cart, they tried about as hard to not call it a Dragon Ball game as they did trying to make it a good game. :v:

It is a Dragon Ball game in Japan isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

iastudent posted:

Money is fine. Just toss out an amount here or in PMs and we can work something out.

PM Sent

• Locked thread