Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I don't know why so many of the G&W games have never been re-released. Like Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros. and that game that was just called ZELDA are nowhere to be found.
IIRC the Zelda one was unlockable in one of the GBA Game and Watch Gallery games.

If you're talking about the physical G&W games, then I dunno why unless they know that a lot of Club Nintendo members won't have enough coins to buy those. Although the whole point of Club Nintendo is to get people to buy/register as many Nintendo products as possible to gain coins, so putting up one of the Mario or Zelda G&W systems would want to make hardcore Nintendo fans want to go buy more games or systems to get enough coins for the G&Ws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I've got cartridges of both so I don't really feel compelled to be rebuying either (Except for Metroid when it comes out on the Wii U VC.)

I love G&W Ball, its just a neat thing to have honestly.

I've got cartridges of both as well, but I bought them on Wii VC anyways. Because I am dumb as hell. (I am also going to buy Super Metriod for thirty cents I have no shame)

And yeah, the G&W Ball repro is nice. It's the closest thing I have to an actual G&W handheld. Considering all the other old hardware and crap I own, I'm surprised I don't have at least one. And yet, I have an R-Zone. :negative:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Mercury Crusader posted:

I've got cartridges of both as well, but I bought them on Wii VC anyways. Because I am dumb as hell. (I am also going to buy Super Metriod for thirty cents I have no shame)

The only version of Kirby's Adventure I don't own at the moment is the original NES Cart. But that's because I never owned an NES. So I get where you're coming from.

Also regarding the G&W Ball, does anybody know how long that battery is going to last?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Apparently Runner 2 will finally be released in Europe tomorrow

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of April 11):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    The Croods: Prehistoric Party - €44.99 / £35.99
WII U eSHOP
    BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - €11.99 / £10.79
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Cats and Dogs 3D: Pets at Play - €29.99 / £24.99
    The Croods: Prehistoric Party - €34.99 / £27.99£10.79 / €11.99
DSiWARE
    Clash of Elementalists - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30, available until April 20
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 25
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.75 until April 25
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €6.49 / £5.99 until April 25
    The Cave (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £7.69 until April 25
    Toki Tori 2 (Wii U eShop) - €13.49 / £11.69 until April 25
    Art of Balance! TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 25
    Dress To Play! Cute Witches (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until April 25
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.19 until April 25
    Gunman Clive (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.49 until April 25
    Mighty Switch Force! (3DS eShop) - €4.49 / £4.09 until April 25
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until April 25
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until April 30
    Puddle (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until May 2

NA update (week of April 4):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Injustice: Gods Among Us (April 16) - $59.99
[quote]
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby's Adventure (April 17) - $0.30 until May 17
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor: Soul Hackers (April 16) - $39.99
3DS eSHOP
    Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger - $?
    Soccer Up 3D - $6.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Rogues and Redeemers #3 (Ike, difficulty *****) - $3.00
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity DLC
  • Poke Forest Dungeon - free until April 30
DSiWARE
    Clash of Elementalists - 500 Points / $4.99
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Pokedex 3D Pro (3DS eShop) - $9.99 "for a limited time"
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30, available until April 16

(No price for the Dillon sequel on the press release, anyone wanna help me out?)

Runner 2 may or may not be out on the PAL eShop today - someone at NOE allegedly said it'd be out, but it's not on the press release and the devs don't seem to be mentioning it anywhere. updated!

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 11, 2013

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

(No price for the Dillon sequel on the press release, anyone wanna help me out?)

It's up for $10.99

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The next Fire Emblem DLC, which is also the first of Series 2, is also out.

-Death's Embrace (Est, Difficulty *****) - $3.00
-Challenge Pack (Includes Est, Catria and Palla, all maps ***** Difficulty) - $6.50

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Detune have announced that the latest in their series of apps to turn Nintendo handhelds into musical tools, the Korg M01D, will hit the Japanese eShop next month, and the rest of the world this summer. No word on price yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb4fg2esPvI

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up for PAL 3DS Ambassadors - Nintendo has finally updated the remaining NES Ambassador games, but you can't download the updates the usual way... you have to boot the eShop, go into the settings menu, pick "Titles You've Downloaded", scroll through the list and manually update each title.

I don't know why you don't get a prompt upon booting the eShop like you would with other updates, or why they don't show up when you hit "Available Updates" or whatever it's called, but the updates are definitely there.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Heads up for PAL 3DS Ambassadors - Nintendo has finally updated the remaining NES Ambassador games, but you can't download the updates the usual way... you have to boot the eShop, go into the settings menu, pick "Titles You've Downloaded", scroll through the list and manually update each title.

I don't know why you don't get a prompt upon booting the eShop like you would with other updates, or why they don't show up when you hit "Available Updates" or whatever it's called, but the updates are definitely there.

How many were there left for PAL? I know the US just has Balloon Fight left to update.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mario & Yoshi, Balloon Fight, Wrecking Crew and... Ice Climber? I've already forgotten.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
What are the updates?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

What are the updates?
It changes the home screen icons to be a NES in front of a TV instead of just a box, adds proper save states instead of just resuming from where you closed the software and the games that have two player modes have download play support.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Sounds like a prelude to releasing them on the eShop and/or updating existing eShop games to allow multiplayer play via Download Play.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Speaking of updates, did the Swapnote -- excuse me, Letter Box -- one ever showed up in Europe? I think I have occasionally checked the eShop for updates in the past two weeks or so without anything popping up.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Saoshyant posted:

Speaking of updates, did the Swapnote -- excuse me, Letter Box -- one ever showed up in Europe? I think I have occasionally checked the eShop for updates in the past two weeks or so without anything popping up.
IIRC, EU got the update first. Check to see if Nintendo sent you a note/letter about the update and if they included a eShop link for the update (that's how I got the US update).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nah, the update still isn't out in PAL-land, even though they announced it first.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Seriously? I'm receiving notes using new features which I can't even see properly. What's Shibata doing? He was all "let's make Nintendo Europe work" and now we can't even get basic software updates simultaneously?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of April 18):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Kung Fu Rabbit - €4.99 / £4.49
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby's Adventure (VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 from April 17 to May 16
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30, available until April 18
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 25
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.75 until April 25
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €6.49 / £5.99 until April 25
    The Cave (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £7.69 until April 25
    Toki Tori 2 (Wii U eShop) - €13.49 / £11.69 until April 25
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until April 30
    Puddle (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until May 2

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Fire Emblem Awakening (April 19) - €44.99 / £39.99
3DS eSHOP
    Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Dig Dug (NES) - €3.99 / £3.59
DSiWARE
    Forgotten Legions - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Art of Balance! TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 25
    Dress To Play! Cute Witches (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until April 25
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.19 until April 25
    Gunman Clive (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.49 until April 25
    Mighty Switch Force! (3DS eShop) - €4.49 / £4.09 until April 25
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until April 25
    Virtue's Last Reward (3DS Retail Download) - €24.99 / £19.99 until May 2
    Aero Porter (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until May 30
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30

3DS dudes, note the new sales - Virtue's Last Reward, plus the three Guild01 games.

Wii U dudes, I have no idea what's up with Injustice - it's supposed to be out on the 19th in Europe, and it's getting a day-one digital release in NA, but it's not on the press release.

Also, regarding Kirby's Adventure:

quote:

This is the European version of the game, which was optimised originally by the developer to offer gameplay and music speed similar to the US version. Demos and animations may run at PAL speed. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 15, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Seriously? I'm receiving notes using new features which I can't even see properly. What's Shibata doing? He was all "let's make Nintendo Europe work" and now we can't even get basic software updates simultaneously?
The update hasn't been pushed to Japan yet so perhaps it's just that NoA jumped the gun?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Also, regarding Kirby's Adventure:

Welp, it was nice while it lasted.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

Saoshyant posted:

I'm receiving notes using new features which I can't even see properly.

We can still receive US notes, but what's weird is when you open a letter the thumbnail pages can be in different colours, but the game will still only display the actual full sized letter in 1 colour for all pages.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Welp, it was nice while it lasted.

The press release states this game was actually optimised for PAL by the developers. That is unlike 99% of games from that time period, so maybe the difference isn't going to be a problem this time.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Sorry if this is a stupid question but why don't they use the US version?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Balcony posted:

We can still receive US notes, but what's weird is when you open a letter the thumbnail pages can be in different colours, but the game will still only display the actual full sized letter in 1 colour for all pages.

I noticed that, but there's also something new with pics and those pics only show up on the thumbnail. Either way, I guess we are to blame Reggie for jumping the gun on this one?

jtm33 posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but why don't they use the US version?

It's a semantics thing. Why use the US version when the EU one is better or the same? I'm glad they are using the American versions when it's justified.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Guild01 sale is also going down in the US from the 18th through May. Liberation Maiden and Crimson Shroud are $5 and Aero Porter is $3.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Balcony posted:

The press release states this game was actually optimised for PAL by the developers. That is unlike 99% of games from that time period, so maybe the difference isn't going to be a problem this time.

Most of the NES games that were "optimised for PAL" still ran at 50HZ but the music was sped up so that it'd sound identical to the 60HZ version. I don't know if that's the case with Kirby as I haven't played the NES original, but the press release seems to suggest that's the case.

The problem with these sorts of games is that you can't simply run them at 60HZ like with regular PAL NES games because it'll cause the music to run extra fast. The version of Ufouria on the NA Wii VC is a good example of what I mean - the NA version is an emulation of the PAL ROM running at 60HZ, but because Sunsoft had originally optimised the music to play at 50HZ it not only plays too quickly but it's also out of pitch due to the way they programmed their bass.

Of course, they could just give us the NTSC 60HZ version of the game like they did with F-Zero and Punch-Out!!, but that seems far too sensible.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Reading up a bit on the PAL conversion of Kirby and found the following:

quote:

In the PAL version, the music is identical to the NTSC version, with correct pitch and tempo. The main game engine seems to run with the regulat 17% slowdown, but the odd thing is that Kirby still moves with the same speed as he does in the NTSC version (in other words, Kirby is faster relative to everything else).

So yeah, while it's better than the standard PAL slowness, they should just be putting the US version up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Oh, so they retimed Kirby himself but left the rest of the game world running at a reduced speed? Weird.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
They are just saying that PAL gamers are babies. 17% to be exact.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So my Wii U is finished with repairs and will be back tomorrow.

Just in time for me to get Punch-Out before it goes away.

Nintendo Delivers.

e: Turns out they just gave me a new console with my settings and such ported over.

But they listened to an email I sent them and gave me Punch-Out. Thanks Nintendo!

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 16, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo Wii U dudes - the first of the two promised system updates will be out next week, and the upcoming Nintendo Direct will outline what it actually does beyond improved load times.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Yo Wii U dudes - the first of the two promised system updates will be out next week, and the upcoming Nintendo Direct will outline what it actually does beyond improved load times.

Hopefully this is the VC update. I didn't really use it on the Wii, but the 30 cent deals have got me loving playing old games on the tablet.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I still bet the VC update is June so they can announce it at E3.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Quest For Glory II posted:

I still bet the VC update is June so they can announce it at E3.

It's already been "announced". Everyone knows what it is and how it works, it's not something that warrants E3 drama.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everyone knew a year old port of Arkham Asylum was coming to Wii U too but they still spent 20 minutes of their E3 keynote talking about it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Quest For Glory II posted:

Everyone knew a year old port of Arkham Asylum was coming to Wii U too but they still spent 20 minutes of their E3 keynote talking about it.

There's nothing new to announce regarding the VC. NES, SNES and GBA games, button configuration, gamepad play, that's all there is to it. Unless they're announcing unexpected games that have never been on the service before.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
The European Club Nintendo is now letting you register things you've downloaded from the eshop. You just have to fill in a short* survey for 50 stars. This includes free downloads such as Nintendo Video (3DS) and the freemium TANK TANK TANK (wii U). So you can download these with no intention of playing them and get free stars. However, in typical Nintendo fashion some games I have actually paid for can't be registered e.g. Zen Pinball 3D can't be registered, whereas Marvel Pinball 3D and Zen Pinball 2 (Wii U) can. Still, I've just got easily another 500 stars closer to that classic SNES controller.

* = tedious

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Balcony posted:

The European Club Nintendo is now letting you register things you've downloaded from the eshop. You just have to fill in a short* survey for 50 stars. This includes free downloads such as Nintendo Video (3DS) and the freemium TANK TANK TANK (wii U). So you can download these with no intention of playing them and get free stars. However, in typical Nintendo fashion some games I have actually paid for can't be registered e.g. Zen Pinball 3D can't be registered, whereas Marvel Pinball 3D and Zen Pinball 2 (Wii U) can. Still, I've just got easily another 500 stars closer to that classic SNES controller.

* = tedious

Just got a bunch of stars doing this, thanks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Earthbound is officially coming to the Virtual Console, according to Nintendo Direct. I thought this day would never come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Oracle games will be on the 3DS VC in North America on May 30th, too.

So I guess that means EU/AUS will get them at some point in the far distant future.