Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Captain Isumi's death in Muv Luv Alternative. She decides to refuse help and sacrifice herself along with the prototype weapon to detonate and destroy an alien hive. The music, dialogue, and general presentation made it really poignant and sad to me, and I definitely teared up. :( (warning:anime)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gBnNm28FQY&t=4120s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
As a dachshund owner, this pretty much wrecked me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJUgJrEgTJk

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I dare anyone to listen to Green Fields of France and not get at least a little teary eyed.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
The season 8 finale of Scrubs. It was just so perfect in every way. The way the goodbye JD sign doubled as a projector screen that showed the way JD imagined the rest of his life being, and the camera cutting to him just smiling as he watched. His son and Turk's daughter getting engaged. Getting a genuine hug from Cox... I cried like a baby the whole time.

Probably the best series/season finale I'd ever seen.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
A few months ago I had a fever, the kind that makes things.. different. Cold feels weird, hot feels weird, your own hands on your head or body feel weird. Everything is warm and you feel weak, but everything has this sort of.. niceness to it. I genuinly LIKE having a fever (as long as I'm not SICK-sick)

So I lay down on the couch, put on some family friendly films and enjoy a day of rest (had the day off anyway).

Finding Nemo has one of the saddest scenes in it. In fact, most of the Pixar lineup has terrible tear jerking moments to it, but I can always hold back with the thought "Seriously, dude, don't cry. It's a cartoon." Well, that thought does not occur in the heat of a fever addled brain.

The scene where Marlon finally gets into the dentist's office and Nemo is playing dead in the baggie, and everything things gets slowed down. That part of the scene where Marlon whispers Nemo's name, having seen PROOF, that his son is loving DEAD and this journey was for naught. The fact that Nemo HEARS THIS and stops his ruse a second too late, his hope of being rescued validated at the exact moment his rescuers have decided to give up as they believe their goal is gone.

I cried. I cried as hard as I did when I cried about not being able to go to my grandfather's funeral because I refused to see him that way. I cried for 35 minutes. In a row. I could not stop. The movie ended before I was done crying. I was bawling. I cannot recall a time I ever enjoyed a good cry more (after I was done). It was a sad cry, for sure, I was not streaming tears of joy down my face and I most certainly was not getting enough air into my lungs because I was laughing. I was BROKEN inside by this movie. God drat I love fevers. It's like being high, and my emotions are heightened. Everything is different in a way I want to explain but cannot.

That's my favorite cry. A kid's movie made a 27 year old die inside a little.

MoonBoots
Nov 17, 2012
Zombieland

That bit where it's revealed that Tallahassee misses his dead son and not his dead dog . I think it's the fact that it's so unexpected that caused it to get at me so much.

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
http://youtu.be/FKKX-H3NMNI
Buffy Sainte Marie preforming my country 'tis of thy people you're dying on Pete Seegers show. It will make you feel like poo poo.

QueenQuintessence
Dec 26, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmG1kOcbJEU

Emilie Autumn- What Will I Remember?

A song about contemplating your death, and wishing you were never born. It reminds me of when I was thirteen. I had just moved to a new city and had no friends. I was constantly bullied and ignored by everyone in my life. Combined with my developing clinical depression, it basically made me into a little budding hermit who attempted suicide twice in a year.

I listen to this song, and suddenly I remember all of it. The emotion in her voice just hits me right in the gut.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
The neutral ending to Bioshock 2. While the rest of the game was fairly mediocre, that ending where Mr. Delta chooses to die rather than live on in the mind of his daughter, and she drags him up to the edge of the sub (mirroring the game's opening cutscene) and weeps as he dies.

Your sacrifice gave me hope. But father, wherever you are...I miss you.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
If you're an NPR listener you're probably familiar with the StoryCorps project, where individuals are recorded telling a story from their life (usually to another individual). Some people think they're kind of sappy and not "news" but I make a point to listen to them every week while driving to work.

This week's episode for Mother's Day got me tearing up on my commute: http://www.npr.org/2013/05/10/182636770/preserving-the-motherhood-advice-and-memories-of-a-mom

Daughter records a StoryCorps session with her mom in 2008 while she's pregnant and mom has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She's now recording a session five years later after her mom has passed away.

I would suggest it to listen to the audio instead of reading the text. I was fine when I was listening until they started singing the lullaby together. Then the tears came (while I was driving too).

These things always effect me because of the audio. The text has only a slight emotional response on me but hearing the mother and daughter conversing and singing together, knowing that the mother is soon to lose all her memories and abilities (and ultimately passed away three years later), just made me lose it.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I've been going through Mass Effect 2 and 3 over the last few weeks and some of the character deaths have always hit me. Maybe it's silly, but you do grow attached to the characters, especially in ME2 on their loyalty missions. Mordin, for instance, comes face-to-face with another salarian's brutal experiments to cure the Krogan Genophage. He always staunchly supported his role in the original creation and later modification of the Genophage, but seeing the bodies of the Krogan females who volunteered for such treatment in the slim hopes of curing their race really bothers him. Make sure you take the time to talk to him and go through all the dialogue prompts. It really paints a portrait of a covert operative AND doctor who balances his desire to save lives with the occasional need to take them.

In ME3, he befriends the Krogan female Eve, the lone survivor of the experiments in ME2. With the Reaper attack, the galactic situation is changed. The galaxy needs the Krogan at full strength, and Mordin has determined that the Genophage needs to end once and for all. But when the time comes to do it, the dispersal tower is damaged and falling to pieces. He needs to go up into the collapsing structure to undo his peoples' sabotage and make sure the cure can get out into the atmosphere. He does so without pause. After all, it had to be him. Someone else might have gotten it wrong. :unsmith:

The little side vignettes in ME3 are also pretty sad. You can stop by to hear various people talking about what they lost in the Reaper attack. The Batarians were almost wiped out entirely, and you can see one of them talking with a human refugee about places they'll never be able to see again. Another human girl is talking with a turian clerk in the camp about whether or not her parents have arrived yet. The conversations even build on each other and you can hear more about their stories the next time you visit. One particularly sad one is an asari commando suffering PTSD and telling the story of her last mission to a counselor. It's just a real bummer, and the kind of writing that Bioware can do drat well sometimes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kitsch! posted:

If you're an NPR listener you're probably familiar with the StoryCorps project, where individuals are recorded telling a story from their life (usually to another individual). Some people think they're kind of sappy and not "news" but I make a point to listen to them every week while driving to work.

This week's episode for Mother's Day got me tearing up on my commute: http://www.npr.org/2013/05/10/182636770/preserving-the-motherhood-advice-and-memories-of-a-mom

Daughter records a StoryCorps session with her mom in 2008 while she's pregnant and mom has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She's now recording a session five years later after her mom has passed away.

I would suggest it to listen to the audio instead of reading the text. I was fine when I was listening until they started singing the lullaby together. Then the tears came (while I was driving too).

These things always effect me because of the audio. The text has only a slight emotional response on me but hearing the mother and daughter conversing and singing together, knowing that the mother is soon to lose all her memories and abilities (and ultimately passed away three years later), just made me lose it.

:unsmith: I love Story Corps. A lot of them tug at my heartstrings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNfvuJr9164

This one is one of the best ones I think.

Edit: Yep. Just watched it again and got me all teary-eyed.

Casu Marzu has a new favorite as of 19:49 on May 12, 2013

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Arx Monolith posted:

A few months ago I had a fever, the kind that makes things.. different. Cold feels weird, hot feels weird, your own hands on your head or body feel weird. Everything is warm and you feel weak, but everything has this sort of.. niceness to it. I genuinly LIKE having a fever (as long as I'm not SICK-sick)

So I lay down on the couch, put on some family friendly films and enjoy a day of rest (had the day off anyway).

Finding Nemo has one of the saddest scenes in it. In fact, most of the Pixar lineup has terrible tear jerking moments to it, but I can always hold back with the thought "Seriously, dude, don't cry. It's a cartoon." Well, that thought does not occur in the heat of a fever addled brain.

The scene where Marlon finally gets into the dentist's office and Nemo is playing dead in the baggie, and everything things gets slowed down. That part of the scene where Marlon whispers Nemo's name, having seen PROOF, that his son is loving DEAD and this journey was for naught. The fact that Nemo HEARS THIS and stops his ruse a second too late, his hope of being rescued validated at the exact moment his rescuers have decided to give up as they believe their goal is gone.

I cried. I cried as hard as I did when I cried about not being able to go to my grandfather's funeral because I refused to see him that way. I cried for 35 minutes. In a row. I could not stop. The movie ended before I was done crying. I was bawling. I cannot recall a time I ever enjoyed a good cry more (after I was done). It was a sad cry, for sure, I was not streaming tears of joy down my face and I most certainly was not getting enough air into my lungs because I was laughing. I was BROKEN inside by this movie. God drat I love fevers. It's like being high, and my emotions are heightened. Everything is different in a way I want to explain but cannot.

That's my favorite cry. A kid's movie made a 27 year old die inside a little.

I always cried when Marlin leaves Dory, after that scene.

Lilo and Stitch was the first real Disney movie that made me cry like a bitch. Not that Bambi wasn't bad or Mufasa's death didn't hit me, but Lilo and Stitch hits you every other scene: in the beginning when Lilo is feeding a fish in the ocean, and she tells her hula instructor the fish controls the weather, she's trying to placate/bribe the fish to keep the weather nice (her parents died in a car crash when it was raining bad). The scene with Stitch and the Ugly Duckling storybook, and when he finds Lilo's photo of her family. The surfing scene that ends with Nani being told her sister's being taken away.

"This is my family. It's little, and broken, but good. Yeah, it's good."

I can't watch that movie anymore.

Brave was another movie, where Merida, at the end, finally breaks down crying and saying it was all her fault, when it looks like the curse won't be broken, and her mom's gone forever. Watching it with my mom was hard, and I have a drat good relationship with my mom too.

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005

Vicissitude posted:

I've been going through Mass Effect 2 and 3 over the last few weeks and some of the character deaths have always hit me. Maybe it's silly, but you do grow attached to the characters, especially in ME2 on their loyalty missions. Mordin, for instance, comes face-to-face with another salarian's brutal experiments to cure the Krogan Genophage. He always staunchly supported his role in the original creation and later modification of the Genophage, but seeing the bodies of the Krogan females who volunteered for such treatment in the slim hopes of curing their race really bothers him. Make sure you take the time to talk to him and go through all the dialogue prompts. It really paints a portrait of a covert operative AND doctor who balances his desire to save lives with the occasional need to take them.

In ME3, he befriends the Krogan female Eve, the lone survivor of the experiments in ME2. With the Reaper attack, the galactic situation is changed. The galaxy needs the Krogan at full strength, and Mordin has determined that the Genophage needs to end once and for all. But when the time comes to do it, the dispersal tower is damaged and falling to pieces. He needs to go up into the collapsing structure to undo his peoples' sabotage and make sure the cure can get out into the atmosphere. He does so without pause. After all, it had to be him. Someone else might have gotten it wrong. :unsmith:

The little side vignettes in ME3 are also pretty sad. You can stop by to hear various people talking about what they lost in the Reaper attack. The Batarians were almost wiped out entirely, and you can see one of them talking with a human refugee about places they'll never be able to see again. Another human girl is talking with a turian clerk in the camp about whether or not her parents have arrived yet. The conversations even build on each other and you can hear more about their stories the next time you visit. One particularly sad one is an asari commando suffering PTSD and telling the story of her last mission to a counselor. It's just a real bummer, and the kind of writing that Bioware can do drat well sometimes.

You'll like this if you haven't seen it already:

What really broke my loving heart was the ending to the series, but anyway...

What makes me cry is thinking about my parents dying. They've never for a moment let my doubt they loved me, nor have they ever failed to support me when I needed it, and when they go there are feelings of comfort and security I'll simply never feel again.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

As a dachshund owner, this pretty much wrecked me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJUgJrEgTJk

:sympathy:

It's not even just about dachshunds, but any pet in general - my family has had 2 dogs that had to be put to sleep, a dachshund and a rottweiler, both the sweetest animals. Our rottweiler had cancer and by the time we found out, it had spread so much that there was no guarantee any operations or treatments would work...and our dachshund had some sort of intestinal problem that left her so weakened that operating on it could've made things worse. It was rough to lose pets like that, we got the dogs about a year apart from each other, they got along great, and were with us over a decade.

This video and another one about a dog named Odin (I think that was its name) never fail to leave me in a sobbing heap. It's sad to lose a pet, but always good knowing that someone gave that pet a good, fulfilling and happy life to the very end. I'll always remember our doggies, some of the best, most faithful and loving companions :unsmith:

Also, one that caught me off guard - Adventure Time, with the epsiodes that talk about Marceline and Ice King (Simon) and their backstory. The end of the second part where Marceline and Ice King are singing about how Simon hopes Marcie can forgive him when he doesn't remember her and goes crazy from the crown just hit me in the gut. Maybe it's having dealt with elderly family members going through Alzheimer's and dementia, and forgetting people or everyday things, I don't know. But it was the thought of someone going so completely crazy that they don't remember ANYTHING about their past...their friends, family, where they lived, all gone from memory like it never existed. Seeing Marceline cry because Ice King had no recollection of anything, while they sang their song, completely did me in.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 03:24 on May 13, 2013

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
When we were drunk and melancholy we'd play Sonora's Death Row and sit there, drunk, in a dark room lit only by a night-light. We'd usually drunkenly sing along to the tune and end up quietly crying.

That or Seven Spanish Angels would tear us up as we sang along with it, usually leaning against one another, so drunk we could barely see, quietly singing it in the dark.

A book that made me cry is Redliners by David Drake. The goddamn ending. I think it hit me pretty hard since I bought it the day I left the military.

A video clip that made my wife cry out in shock and both of us cry was a Grey's Anatomy Episode that had a hell of scene. Link to it. It shocked the poo poo out of us.

I'll admit that the scene in Terminator where they zip up the body bag over Reese always chokes me up.

But then I'm a crier. :)

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I'm not a huge fan of how Radiolab edits their stories, but I turned it on while driving to lunch one day and this story came on. I started weeping and had to come back late from work.

http://www.radiolab.org/2011/jan/25/finding-emilie/

Approximately 20 minutes listening.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

I just thought of this in the car the other night and started choking up. Don't know what triggered it.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkpm2IhE5eM

The ending to TNG - The Inner Light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5peiLlHdvo

The ending to Futurama - Jurassic Bark

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Not really a "favorite thing" that made me cry, but last Monday I got the call that my college mentor had finally passed after a long fought battle with pancreatic cancer. We all knew it was coming, but it was still crushing. I think part of what made it so hard to hear was that he was so upbeat through it all. He was well into his 70s, but was still actively updating his Facebook statuses about how his wife had made pancakes with homemade apple butter and he had enough of an appetite to eat half a plate or how he had managed to catch the first quarter of his favorite team's big game before he was too tired. Just stuff like that. He would thank each student that posted on his wall to wish him well (which was A LOT , considering he was the president of the university for over 20 years as well as teaching the entire time). I won't pretend I went to the best school, but goddammit if I didn't have one of the best presidents. Even if you'd only met him once, he knew everyone's name and something about them (hobbies, pet name, whatever) and anyone could just walk into his office if they needed to talk to him. I genuinely don't know why he took such a liking to me, but I can't express how much of an impact he made. He motivated me to become a better person (not to mention, gave me the single best piece of advice that led me to finally pull the trigger on asking my now girlfriend out a few years ago). And then, last week, my phone rang and, looking at the name on the screen, I knew what had happened. And I, when they told me, I just sat at my desk at work and cried (largely because I was happy that it was over for him). And, now I'm trying not to do it again.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

Lord of Laughton posted:

The season 8 finale of Scrubs. It was just so perfect in every way. The way the goodbye JD sign doubled as a projector screen that showed the way JD imagined the rest of his life being, and the camera cutting to him just smiling as he watched. His son and Turk's daughter getting engaged. Getting a genuine hug from Cox... I cried like a baby the whole time.

Probably the best series/season finale I'd ever seen.
Don't forget the music in that scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nZGv8VTBVE

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
In As Told As Ginger, there's an episode where a teacher, Ms Gordon, is driven into retirement by a student's constant pranks on her. The student, Carl, feels a lot of guilt over this and convinces her to come back. But since the voice actress passed away, they changed the ending of the episode to the principal informing the class that Ms Gordon died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tGqzxOg4eA
(Sad part starts about 9 minutes in.)

fuck logic
Mar 20, 2005

Queen of Inappropriate

50 Foot Ant posted:

When we were drunk and melancholy we'd play Sonora's Death Row and sit there, drunk, in a dark room lit only by a night-light. We'd usually drunkenly sing along to the tune and end up quietly crying.

That or Seven Spanish Angels would tear us up as we sang along with it, usually leaning against one another, so drunk we could barely see, quietly singing it in the dark.

You've got good taste in music, friend. :)

If this doesn't make you bawl, you've never known anyone who died, and I guess you're lucky for that so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r57rzLYqSs

Oh man this one... it took me YEARS to find this song again. I remember playing it on the radio on Alamo Day, and I'm in this tiny glass room with three HUGE men. All of us were facing opposite directions, looking out windows or whatever. Everyone had an excuse to get the gently caress out without looking at each other as soon as it was over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGguIuBVeo8

Now imagine hearing that after reading this out loud over the air:

William Barrett Travis posted:

Commandancy of the The Alamo

Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World—

Fellow Citizens & compatriots—

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna — I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man — The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken — I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls — I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch — The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country — Victory or Death.

William Barrett Travis.

Lt. Col. comdt.

P. S. The Lord is on our side — When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn — We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis

I've never been able to read that letter or hear that song without choking up.

The Stupid Hat
May 6, 2007
Just here to lurk
I was pretty depressed a few years ago and I watched that episode of Futurama, "The Sting," where Leela's going slowly insane with guilt.

I cried and cried and cried after I saw it.

Also voicing the Metal Gear Solid 3 final scene, where Snake is saluting The Boss's grave and trying not to cry. And then, boom, game end, roll credits, with Snake standing there with his lip quivering . . . yeah, tear city on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvKGqNWKhxk

Then there's this ending for Spec Ops: The Line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niBzA8TkAck

Then there's "Eyes of the Insane" by Slayer. The music won't make you sad, but the video will make you feel terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOMec-rYTbo

This video sends chills down my spine and makes me feel guilty, too, that I'm not a better person. It's Charlie Chaplain's speech at the end of the "The Great Dictator" matched with the Inception soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8HdOHrc3OQ

The Stupid Hat has a new favorite as of 00:32 on May 20, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The last couple of minutes of 12 Angry Men, specifically Lee J. Cobb's character, christ.

gunsage
May 18, 2013
I'm a gamer. Some movies make me cry, but they have to try really, really hard (like Toy Story 3 hard or something). We've all had the Final Fantasy 7 Aeris moment, so I won't go there as it's old and I feel old even referencing it. No, I think I'll go with Rogue Galaxy. It's like every other cutscene the game gives you something to cry about. This is bad because I am a man and therefore feel compelled to stab myself every time I'm ready to cry. I've yet to finish this game because of blood loss or some pussy poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I searched but didn't find anything

Sir Nicholas Winton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nFuJAF5F0

Sir Nicholas Winton who organised the rescue and passage to Britain of about 669 mostly Jewish Czechoslovakian children destined for the Nazi death camps before World War II in an operation known as the Czech Kindertransport. This video is the BBC Programme "That's Life" aired in 1988. The most touching video ever.

Going through the thread now and jumping back to Sigur Ros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3OJTZVKZx8

Sigur Ros - Samskeyti (give it a second, it picks up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_iTlpjFkic

Sigur Rós - Sé Lest (From their movie/doc/whatever called Heima, highly recommend. About their music and life in Iceland. Love when the marching band comes in)

Not tears, but pretty jerking. How the gently caress is a movie about HS football moving? Oh right, Explosions in the Sky. (if you like that type of instrumental music I highly recommend Pg. Lost as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJVJ_MEyQI

Stretching it a bit (don't think anyone will mind) but in the "so beautiful it hurts" realm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0B-7trkT_Q

Time lapse of volcanos in Iceland set to Jonsi (Lead singer of Sigur Ros' solo project)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONaPq2L-MRg

View from the ISS at Night

Stolen from the old threads -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mz3ZzSXyWM

quote:

Formula One driver David Purley stops mid race to try and save his friend Roger Williamson's life after a bad crash in a 1973 race. The officials have no training and only one fire extinguisher. In the end, they covered the wreck with Williamson dead inside in blankets and continued the race.

and on the topic of F1. The death of Aryton Senna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJLAztaw0Gw

It's worth watching the documentary "Senna" on netflix. It doesn't matter how much you hate racing, F1, cars, etc. You will like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rNdf7OUL_E

His funeral

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 10:17 on May 20, 2013

Sara T. Biggun
Dec 8, 2004

No bounce, no play
I am 32 years old. My grandparents are all dead. My mother and father are dead.
I don't even understand the concept of "happy tears."

I am jealous of those of you who cry over video games.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Sara T. Biggun posted:

Awww, man :smith:

I could cite the whole Feeling Good thread. Many tears were had just reading the posts there, but mostly happy tears. :unsmith:

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
The 'Who greenlighted...' thread in CD was talking about Will Smith and his career and someone mentioned that this scene from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (where he finds out his dad is leaving him again) is the best scene he ever did. I have to agree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmerFuzRNZ4

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Zach Sobiech was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He made a song called "Clouds" about his feelings on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDC97j6lfyc

And here is a "My Last Days" video on his experiences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NjKgV65fpo

He passed away yesterday (May 20th.)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
The end of "The Green Mile".

You know the scene--John Coffey, played by Michael Clarke Duncan, is being strapped into the electric chair as the two dead girls' parents hurl epithets at him...and then he begs Tom Hanks' character not to put the hood on him because he's scared of the dark. All the guards are quietly crying as Jack Van Hay throws the switch. It gets me every loving time.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Zach Sobiech was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He made a song called "Clouds" about his feelings on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDC97j6lfyc

And here is a "My Last Days" video on his experiences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NjKgV65fpo

He passed away yesterday (May 20th.)
I came to post this; I found the video a few weeks ago and then had a friend mention today that he'd died yesterday. Since you've posted that video, here's another song he did with his bandmate/best friend that makes me cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvSYZHmhIAM

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Sara T. Biggun posted:

I was the same at 22. I'm 27 now, and all I can offer is while cramming good memories into the holes they left isn't a solution, it helps. Happy tears are when the tears you get when they're not around to see something are replaced with the tears of realizing that they'd be drat proud.

And I still cry over videogames. And movies. And the occasional sunny day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The Thai life insurance commercials always get posted on SA. Surprised they haven't been posted here yet.

poo poo just search youtube for them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1OmpTPffQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR5mZqeDNtg

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Boxer Hockey is a good and funny webcomic, but the series of flashback comics starting here from a few years ago always makes me tear up.

It's worth reading the whole little story, you don't need to know the characters or anything. It's about fifteen short pages.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

eating only apples posted:

Boxer Hockey is a good and funny webcomic, but the series of flashback comics starting here from a few years ago always makes me tear up.

It's worth reading the whole little story, you don't need to know the characters or anything. It's about fifteen short pages.

I showed my mom just one comic from this storyline Big boys don't cry, and I'm a big boy. and she teared up from that one alone.

What is it with Disney and Pixar movies making me cry when I get older, but not when I was a kid or teenager? I never cried at Bambi. Rarely at Mufasa. I think everyone cries during the opening scene from Up, and that part of Toy Story 3, and perhaps even 2 with Jessie's song. Meet the Robinsons, probably one of the best of Disney's underrated movies, makes me cry, the entire last 10 minutes of it. Mostly when the kid Louis is packing up his things, leaving the orphanage with his new parents, and we see Goob being adopted too. The look of just utter happiness kills me, because that's all it took to change the future for the better.

The last time Mulan was on TV, waterworks ahoy at the end of the song "A Girl Worth Fighting For" ends with the marching army coming across a village that was burned to cinders, and they find the commander's father's armor, with him and all his men slaughtered. You never see the carnage, but you do see Mulan find a little doll, the same one the bad guy's hawk brought to him earlier in the film. Little doll, no little girl. Everyone in the village and the defending army was massacred. Pretty heavy for a Disney kid flic.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
All of Deep Fried's "Clarissa" comics just crush me. How anyone could see a child as a sexual object, and abuse them just ...ugh.

This ought to take you to the series: http://clarissa.wikia.com/wiki/Clarissa_ruins_Thanksgiving

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mostly when the kid Louis is packing up his things, leaving the orphanage with his new parents, and we see Goob being adopted too. The look of just utter happiness kills me, because that's all it took to change the future for the better.

If we're talking tears of joy, the episode of Samurai Jack "Jack Learns to Jump Good" does it for me. After all the training with the monkey tribe (running, jumping and climbing while weighed down by rocks), they finally take off the rocks and he can jump enormous distances. Once Jack sees that he's mastered jumping good, he starts really jumping all over the place. There's a close up of his face when he's bouncing from treetop to treetop and the total Hell Yeah! look on his face gets me.

Same thing at the end of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, with Eddie bouncing on the pogo stick during his musical number. The whole childlike joy thing gets me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Edwardian posted:

All of Deep Fried's "Clarissa" comics just crush me. How anyone could see a child as a sexual object, and abuse them just ...ugh.

This ought to take you to the series: http://clarissa.wikia.com/wiki/Clarissa_ruins_Thanksgiving

Here's a more convenient imgur album filled with them: http://zyguy.imgur.com/clarissa_comics#0a

And here's the guy's website: http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/

• Locked thread