Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
You might want to try Borgen as well, though I don't know easy that is to see in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

richardfun posted:

What are these jobs where one can just watch tv shows for a few hours? I need to get me one of those.

I work Saturday to Wednesday and can't watch anything on weekdays but usually get at least a couple hours of tv watching per shift on weekends. Wage is ridiculously good for the amount of work I have to do (usually just small talk with a janitor and some federal agents).

Trying Spartacus next thanks to this thread/forum.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

leidend posted:

I work Saturday to Wednesday and can't watch anything on weekdays but usually get at least a couple hours of tv watching per shift on weekends. Wage is ridiculously good for the amount of work I have to do (usually just small talk with a janitor and some federal agents).

Trying Spartacus next thanks to this thread/forum.

I just watched the series finale of Spartacus and let me just tell you, you're in for one hell of a ride (just make sure to get through the first few eps, they are...diamonds in the rough). Now this might be because I'm on some pretty heavy painkillers at the moment, but I've never had a tv show cause such a wide emotional response. Joy, deep sadness, etc, etc, etc.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Joramun posted:

Boss is the best show in the genre.

Yeah, Boss is pretty damned good.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

franchise1 posted:

You might want to try Borgen as well, though I don't know easy that is to see in the US.

Since its a Danish program I think its safe to assume that the no channel/internet streaming provider will likely have it within the USA.

I'll check Boss out, I always thought Kelsey Grammer was a good actor.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

Uba Stij posted:

Since its a Danish program I think its safe to assume that the no channel/internet streaming provider will likely have it within the USA.

Don't they show much foreign content in the US then?

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

franchise1 posted:

I think you can specially request "BBC America", but that's about it. Maybe a few Spanish-language programs from Mexico and Central America.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

franchise1 posted:

Not that much, the most common non english programming is Spanish on Telemundo which is mostly shows from/or take place in Mexico & Central America.

You can order niche channels like an all Korean channel, or all Russian channel, but not all TV providers carry those. BBC America can be ordered but it is distinctly different than BBC in the UK in terms of programming, there are a few week/month delays in getting BBC shows onto BBC America if I remember correctly but that is more so due to contract issues and jumping through all the hoops you have to as a cable channel in the US.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 13, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You'd think some PBS stations, or like HBO would tap into the Scandinavian drama boom since the Dragon Tattoo hype hit.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Joramun posted:

Boss is the best show in the genre.
Thanks a lot for this. Never heard of the show before.

Also, my attempt to binge through 24 came up way short. I loved season 1, but after five episodes of Jack's daughter pissing me off in season 2 I stopped watching. I absolutely cannot stand that woman.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jack's Flow posted:

Also, my attempt to binge through 24 came up way short. I loved season 1, but after five episodes of Jack's daughter pissing me off in season 2 I stopped watching. I absolutely cannot stand that woman.

Nobody can. Just FF through her parts. There's better stuff coming.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Nobody can. Just FF through her parts. There's better stuff coming.

Just think its her character from Happy Endings and the show becomes even more hilarious.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

Thanks a lot for this. Never heard of the show before.

I tried watching 24 once and binged up to the point where his wife conveniently gets amnesia and immediately stopped watching.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Jack's Flow posted:

I watched the first few seasons, and then a few more with dwindling enthusiasm. It had a lot of potential, but became and insanely predictable Mary Sue-a-thon pretty drat quickly. Just watch Homeland instead - it's along the same lines but done really, really well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

24 was really fun in the beginning. I remember when we first saw a nuke go off it was a HOLY poo poo moment. Then in later seasons it's "Oh, another nuke went off in LA. That sucks I guess."

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Kims story has literally no bearing on anything in Season 2. You can skip it all and miss nothing important. She does have one good scene when she says goodbye to Jack just before the bomb goes off though.

I just finished a 24 rewatch, I still really enjoyed most of it, despite the occasional dumb subplot and predictable writing. Charles Logan was such a great character.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

24 was really fun in the beginning. I remember when we first saw a nuke go off it was a HOLY poo poo moment. Then in later seasons it's "Oh, another nuke went off in LA. That sucks I guess."

As far as I remember, basically in terms of 24, you should watch up to Season 6, fourth episode when the nuke blows up in L.A. then you make up for yourself a story about how Jack went insane and thought 'gently caress all that poo poo, I'm going to Africa!', watch 24:Redemption and then go back to Season 7, forgetting that the rest of Season 6 ever took place.

Season 5 of 24 still stands as the apex of :monocle: + :tviv: + :wtc: prime time television

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
I watched the first 3 seasons (enjoyed most of it) of 24 a few years ago but stopped because season 4 was apparently the worst one and I had my fill of 24 at that point. I'm thinking about starting again though, should I just skip season 4 or try to power through?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Spalec posted:

Kims story has literally no bearing on anything in Season 2. You can skip it all and miss nothing important. She does have one good scene when she says goodbye to Jack just before the bomb goes off though.

I just finished a 24 rewatch, I still really enjoyed most of it, despite the occasional dumb subplot and predictable writing. Charles Logan was such a great character.

I loved the fact that they cast a guy who looks so much like Richard Nixon :)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

kloa posted:

I tried watching 24 once and binged up to the point where his wife conveniently gets amnesia and immediately stopped watching.

Likewise, that was the deal killer for me. It's a gimmicky soap opera plot device to begin with and putting that into a gimmicky TV drama convinced me the creators didn't know what they were doing.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

klaphark posted:

I watched the first 3 seasons (enjoyed most of it) of 24 a few years ago but stopped because season 4 was apparently the worst one and I had my fill of 24 at that point. I'm thinking about starting again though, should I just skip season 4 or try to power through?

I say that you should try and if you find it too painful, just jump to the last two or so episodes while reading the wikis to know what you missed. Season 5 is just dynamite from cover to cover.

When it comes to Season 6, don't bother. You should do this:

1. Watch the first four episodes
2. Make up in your mind that, afterwards, Jack Bower just said 'gently caress it'
3. Watch 24:Redemption, a movie made to be a bridge between Season 6 and Season 7, happens in Africa and it's pretty good
4. Watch Season 7 and 8.

Season 6 is the only really atrocious season outside of those four first episodes.

Island Nation posted:

Likewise, that was the deal killer for me. It's a gimmicky soap opera plot device to begin with and putting that into a gimmicky TV drama convinced me the creators didn't know what they were doing.

You really missed out because 24 was really some great :suspense: television for most of its run.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I somehow stumbled through the first two season of 24 and while I'm not sure I could say that I hated it, I could tell it was definitely not a show for me. I've read the synopses for the other seasons and I just couldn't be bothered.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
You guys are really giving me the urge to finally give Spartacus a go, even though the stupid gratuitous tits 'n' gore thing has put me off for so long.

Anyway, I don't understand how people can like seasons 7 and 8 of 24. They were so dumb. Like late-Dexter/current-Walking-Dead dumb. I'd say make up your own ending five minutes before the end of season 5. (7 is probably worse than 6, if only for what they did to that one character. 8 is worse than both.)

1 is the peak, with the amnesia subplot as the worst thing in it. (Kim also sucks, admittedly)
2 is pretty good TV. Slow start with the Warners though and Kim is worse than ever. But the first episode has one of the best Jack moments ever.
3 is a thrillride that ties up a lot of loose ends from the first two seasons.
4 has a few great moments, but is kind of a mess overall. It's also the first season torture really became a thing in the show. (Still before Jack became Torture Man in the later seasons. Ugh.)
5 was were they start reusing ideas, but is still a good watch.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
For me it's the opposite, I can't understand how people just didn't love Season 5. To me it was the best 24 ever was, and Season 7 and Season 8 were incredible. I mean, we got Jack as loving Jason Vorheese

and the ax to the chest gif

How could anyone not love those is what confounds me.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Twee as gently caress posted:

For me it's the opposite, I can't understand how people just didn't love Season 5. To me it was the best 24 ever was, and Season 7 and Season 8 were incredible. I mean, we got Jack as loving Jason Vorheese

Those things are great, but the problem is that for every five minutes of awesome you have several hours of boring crap.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM #ad📢

VagueRant posted:

You guys are really giving me the urge to finally give Spartacus a go, even though the stupid gratuitous tits 'n' gore thing has put me off for so long.

The first 2 episodes or so were tough to get through but then after that the series becomes loving awesome. Just get the seasons for 20 bucks at CD exchange or something and then say "the first 2 episodes or so were tough to get through but then the series became loving awesome" like every other motherfucker on the planet does when someone asks about Spartacus.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Twee as gently caress posted:

My favourite bit of that scene was Charles Logan totally making GBS threads his pants. Gregory Itzin really knocked it out of the park.

http://vimeo.com/12161573

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Spalec posted:

My favourite bit of that scene was Charles Logan totally making GBS threads his pants. Gregory Itzin really knocked it out of the park.

I just had the biggest :haw: while watching that. I have to go and reread the livethread comments (i'll post a link)

Comments start here

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 15, 2013

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ah, 24... my favorite Kim moment is when she calls her dad from the house where she babysits and Jack is a little preoccupied so he tells her to pick up the gun and shoot the molesting father of her sittee... twice, just to make sure.

I am sure I am misremembering the details, but that was :black101:

That's pretty much what happened, IIRC (I probably do not).
vvvvvvvvvvvv

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 15, 2013

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

mcbexx posted:

Ah, 24... my favorite Kim moment is when she calls her dad from the house where she babysits and Jack is a little preoccupied so he tells her to pick up the gun and shoot the molesting father of her sittee... twice, just to make sure.

I am sure I am misremembering the details, but that was :black101:

I don't remember that at all, but now I just made up a memory where Kim describes the situation and Jack just says 'Look, honey, I'm just really tied up right now, just pick up a gun and shoot him twice and I'll say I did it, got to go some terrorists to gently caress up

Somehow that seems 100% in line with what could have happened in the 24 universe.

I think the only thing in that universe that seemed improbable would have been for Elisha Cuthbert to become a really funny actress :stare:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Uba Stij posted:

I'm looking for more political dramas, I've already done West Wing and outside House of Cards I can't really think of many that really grab my attention. Would watching the BBC version of House of Cards be a good launching point?

Politics:
State of Play -- gently caress the Russell Crow remake that shrunk 6 hours into 1.5. Paul Abbot's 2003 political thriller examines the relationships between money, politics and journalism. It is extremely well acted with reliable British staples like John Simm and Billy Nighy and upcoming actors in the states Kelly McDonald (Boardwalk Empire), James McAvoy (X-Men First Class). I refuse to give anything away, but there are some fantastic twists, and a genuine "gently caress Yes!" moment. I can't recommend this one highly enough.

The Thick of It --

"God, right, okay, well, seen as you're not used to this, I'll go through it for you, okay? What happens at a press conference is this: a bunch of press people are gonna appear, they got things called cameras and microphones and mobile phones and hangovers and bad breath. Then you are gonna walk out and you're gonna read from what we call a "prepared statement". In that you will say "I'm really loving sorry for sounding like a hairy-arsed docker after twelve pints. I promise that I will never call an 8-year-old girl a oval office again. Can we now just draw a line over this and loving move on? Thank you". Everybody goes home and then we wait and we see what happens. The best case is you get to keep your job, although you will forever be known as The Sweary Woman of Whitehall."

Veep -- American, but with imported sensibilities. Take the most ludicrious caricatures of Joe Biden and Sarah Palin, staff her with territorial backstabbers who barely function as adults and you get the story of historical footnote Vice President Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Buster Bluth plays himself.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Clearly the answer to 'Is there a political series I should be watching?', the answer is always 'Yes, Minister'.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Spalec posted:

Oh sure, the car is bulletproof, but it's not Bauerproof.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Spalec posted:

See, this makes me want to watch more 24.

edit: Oh, that's no spoiler. I haven't watched any episode after S02E05, so I really have no idea what happens to her. Let's hope she dies! I'll delete it anyway.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 16, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Spoilers man, although I'm glad I have that to look forward to.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

See, this makes me want to watch more 24. Why couldn't Kim just die early on? Bummer.

edit: Oh, that's no spoiler. I haven't watched any episode after S02E05, so I really have no idea what happens to Kim. Let's hope she dies!

For what it's worth, Kim is significantly less annoying in Season 3 and after that she's only a guest star and appears in maybe 10 episodes in seasons 4-8. Just FF through her season 2 bullshit.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

It's dumping snow here and I was bored, so I started 24 based on this discussion. Two episodes in now. I like it, but I can already see why Kim gets so many complaints.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I feel the need to reiterate that Elisha Cuthbert is awesome and you shouldn't blame her for the character being terrible. :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I feel the need to reiterate that Elisha Cuthbert is awesome and you shouldn't blame her for the character being terrible. :(

She just needs a racist pet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Finished Lie To Me the other day. Nothing spectacular, but watching Tim Roth is such a treat.

I am starting Supernaturals now after a few good reviews here. I watched half of the first episode a month or so ago and wasn't really digging it, but I finished the other half last night and it really picked up. What should I expect for the rest of the season?