Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BlueGrot posted:

http://www.amazon.com/All-purpose-Temperature-Controller-STC-1000-sensor/dp/B00862G3TQ

Edit: If you don't want to do rewiring of your fridge's power cord, then you can get things like these: http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/615910/UT-200-Room-Thermostat

What it does is switch off your fridge when it reaches a low enough temperature, and switches it back on when it's too warm. You can set it to switch the fridge off at 40 fahrenheit, and tell it to wait until 42 degrees before switching back on. I don't know how low the hysteresis(the narrowest degree gap) is on these things but it would be advisable to have a 2 degree gap to avoid the fridge switching on and off too often as this will destroy the compressor on the fridge. Use a fridge you don't mind getting broken too, as it wears out alot faster.

I have a couple of these : http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-p-86.html - they're industrial grade controllers and work awesome. I wired them up myself, but they also come prewired if you don't know anything about electronics. have one on a chest freezer for a kegerator, and one on a mini fridge for a fermentation chamber. had both fridges about 3 years, haven't blown out yet - I set mine on a 4 degree temperature differential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Thanks for the suggestions :) I have a little shopping to do next paycheck, heh :)

Also, it cannot be overstated, but removing skin from a pork belly is so damned tedious, ugh.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Solution: cure the pork belly with salt, sugar, brown sugar, and prague powder #1 for about 10 days. Then hot-smoke with hickory to 150F. The skin will slide off with the mere suggestion of a fillet knife.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
drat, wish I thought of that! I will do that for the next belly I cure

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
Or leave that skin on and make Siew yoke

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

pr0k posted:

Solution: cure the pork belly with salt, sugar, brown sugar, and prague powder #1 for about 10 days. Then hot-smoke with hickory to 150F. The skin will slide off with the mere suggestion of a fillet knife.
I hot smoke to 140 internal and the skin generally peels off like velcro. You might need to score it around the edges since the smoking can dry it out a little bit, but after that just grab a corner and pull.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

The GF made it home safe despite working a few blocks from the bombings. In celebration we've opened the bottle of hard cider that Wiggles sent me for GWSSS. It's a LOT harder then I was expecting. Good show, old chap! :monocle:

Good and good. I was thinking about you guys.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

Or leave that skin on and make Siew yoke

I have 30 pounds of belly, and reserved 5 for this purpose

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Kimchi avocado Gouda toast. That is all.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You could have just written MSG and we'd have gotten the point.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

Kimchi avocado Gouda toast. That is all.

Gaarrrhhhhh.... (That's a drool sound).

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Along the same lines: avocado, marmite and ajvar are excellent on toast

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jonesy posted:

Avo and marmite I've had, and mmmm... WTF's ajvar?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jonesy posted:

Together? I must try this.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I've only had the Serbian version thanks to a literal hookup but this stuff is the vegetable mish-mash of the gods as far as I'm concerned. It makes everything taste so much more alive that I'm pissed I only discovered it now.

wikipedia posted:

Ajvar and aijvar (Cyrillic: ajвар/aивар; pronounced [ǎj.ʋaːr]) is a type of relish, made principally from red bell peppers, with garlic. It also can contain eggplant and chili peppers. Ajvar originates in the Serbian cuisine, and was therefore long known as "Serbian salad" [1] or "Serbian vegetable caviar".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajvar

Apparently making it is a bit of a hassle but gently caress that I'm gonna try anyways since I only have a 4oz jar (aka a months worth. maybe two weeks).

It's also great on scrambled eggs/hash to combat a hangover.

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 17, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
all the ajvar I've had is like a thick tomato paste/sauce thing with red peppers and onions and eggplant all pureed up and simmered or something. my bulgarian flatmate of ages past had a jar of it always and slathered it on hot bread and ate with salty cheese. it was amazing, his grandmother made it I think. I got drunk and stole like 1/4th of a jar of it from our fridge once and he was really loving pissed. but I gave him some pickled okra I made in return and he was ok with that. good times.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:siren: I think we need to open this one back up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544412

for discussion

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pork chops: very popular in Israel.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ive always wanted to drop that I have an exboyfriend in a cooking thread

sadly never got around to it

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You lack gumption. Start a new thread to tell us about him/his multicultural recipes.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I'm curing 30 pounds of pork belly for bacon in a 55 gallon trash bag. It looks like a mob hit in my fridge.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

"Special Agent Murray, I can explain!"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So drat that flatiron steak stuff is loving fantastic. I think I prefer it to ribeye, which is... ridiculous. Enjoy it now while the price is low-ish, guys. And use your jaccard tenderizer.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Overheard at mexican restaurant:

"Hold the onion and tomatoes, I don't like them"
"And I will have the guacamole to start"

I wasn't there long enough to see the result.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I don't see the problem? Unless you are insinuating that there would be onion and tomato in the guacamole?

A shameful guacamole.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I don't see the problem? Unless you are insinuating that there would be onion and tomato in the guacamole?

A shameful guacamole.

Seriously.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Really? I have never seen it without small pieces of both in there?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
A bit of chopped red onion and tomato works well in guacamole.

Eat all the guacamole, however you want. poo poo, eat avocado straight if you feel so inclined.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Going to catch hell for this I am sure but I don't really like avocado. It has it's place in things but I am never really excited by it and would never really just eat one. Guacamole can be great but a bowl of mashed avocado is not very interesting.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Guacamole de Wiggles

Avocados, smashed
Limes, juiced
Salt, salted
Green chiles, roasted
Cilantro, finely chopped
Garlic, smashed, finely chopped

Mix well

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
You forgot the white onions.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

No, I did not. Sometimes you can use green onion, but never white.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bunnielab posted:

Going to catch hell for this I am sure but I don't really like avocado. It has it's place in things but I am never really excited by it and would never really just eat one. Guacamole can be great but a bowl of mashed avocado is not very interesting.

Try replacing the avocado with chickpeas, and the onion with tahini. Guacamole de FGR!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^ I do that, but add green food colouring so people aren't weirded out by the colour of my guac

I like to use red onions, sometimes.

Guacamole: the new chili.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I don't even use avocado, just salsa, onion, 1.5 bags of shredded mexican cheese, and black beans in my guacamole. Can of corn when I'm feeling festive.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Try replacing the avocado with chickpeas, and the onion with tahini. Guacamole de FGR!
Replace the chickpeas with cooter. Guacamole de pr0k's Mom! At least it's still green.

Mrs. Gunderson
Nov 5, 2012

Very Strange Things posted:

I don't even use avocado, just salsa, onion, 1.5 bags of shredded mexican cheese, and black beans in my guacamole. Can of corn when I'm feeling festive.

You have to be careful with that salsa, though, since it's too spicy for a lot of people, don't you know. Better to stick with ketchup.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bunnielab posted:

My wife and I have a thing with Hubert Keller and his pronunciation of 'Avocado'.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
salsamole, ketchamole, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Replace the chickpeas with cooter. Guacamole de pr0k's Mom! At least it's still green.

:golfclap:

And lumpy.