Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

IPCRESS posted:

I would say it's a vacuum breaker so you don't collapse the nose section if you open the throttles too quickly

Yep.

the wikipedia article on the plane posted:

Commencing with [F-84G] block 20, auxiliary "suck-in" doors were added laterally to the intake runners ahead of the wing roots. When the engine was deficient of air, the spring-loaded doors were sucked open by the vacuum created by the engine to allow additional air to the engine. When the aircraft reached sufficient air speed to supply adequate air through the nose intake, the auxiliary doors would close.

Don't rather a lot of jets (most fighters, in fact) have extra doors to allow more airflow at low speed/high power, and the main intake sized for normal operation? I know the SR-71 had a ridiculous system of bleed doors and poo poo, but I've seen a lot of late-model MiGs with that sot of thing too (actually I think on the MiGs it's more an alternate intake on top to reduce FOD on lovely runways).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^ Yeah it's a FOD thing on fourth-gen Russian fighters.

Cygni posted:

Going way back, but I decided to GIS this cause there had to be a backstory, and hooooly poo poo. Thats a hell of a tattoo considering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Airlines_Flight_255

Woah, yeah. That's awful.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Godholio posted:

Woah, yeah. That's awful.

Everybody says not to get a tattoo unless it means something to you. I think she won. :stare:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Delivery McGee posted:

Everybody says not to get a tattoo unless it means something to you. I think she won. :stare:

Apparently the firefighter that pulled her out of the plane was the guy who gave her away at her wedding, which was sweet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ask me about how retrofitting 737s to be JSTARS is a terrible idea, especially when they design half the crap to be almost impossible to access to replace. :doh:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Ask me about how retrofitting 737s to be JSTARS is a terrible idea, especially when they design half the crap to be almost impossible to access to replace. :doh:

I thought that got scrubbed last year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I thought that got scrubbed last year.

No, all current JSTARS in service are just 707s that have been converted. You can still see the passenger windows on the frame, they've just been painted over.

e: I mean't 707, not 737

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The first two AWACS off the line are the same way, they have a panel down the fuselage replacing the window frames. After that the line was purpose-reconfigured. But JSTARS were all purchased used from various airlines and freight carriers.

Boeing was actually pitching a P-8 variant to replace the E-8 last year...ugh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

The first two AWACS off the line are the same way, they have a panel down the fuselage replacing the window frames. After that the line was purpose-reconfigured. But JSTARS were all purchased used from various airlines and freight carriers.

Boeing was actually pitching a P-8 variant to replace the E-8 last year...ugh.

Yes, and a lot of the radios and their related components have been...shoved in places that are either too tight to access or jury rigged to fit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Some of the JSTARS were previously Venezuelan livestock transports. Fun fact: they still carry goats.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

holocaust bloopers posted:

Some of the JSTARS were previously Venezuelan livestock transports. Fun fact: they still carry goats.

That's scraping the bottom of the barrel; on the civilian side, any aircraft regularly used to transport live animals is an aircraft you shouldn't be upset about corroding into nothingness in short order.

As much as it would be more expensive, why not put the JSTARS package into a KC-46? I've heard that proposal floating around a couple of times; it's probably a more appropriate size for the mission plus it'll a mostly common airframe with the tanker, even if the Air Force goes out and buys used 767s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Because in 3 decades when the tanker order is complete, we'll have a UAV doing that mission.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nothing is as ever easy as just tossing equipment on a jet. It takes the USAF a decade to make the smallest of upgrades.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

That's scraping the bottom of the barrel; on the civilian side, any aircraft regularly used to transport live animals is an aircraft you shouldn't be upset about corroding into nothingness in short order.

As much as it would be more expensive, why not put the JSTARS package into a KC-46? I've heard that proposal floating around a couple of times; it's probably a more appropriate size for the mission plus it'll a mostly common airframe with the tanker, even if the Air Force goes out and buys used 767s.

I suspect (just my personal suspicions) that they did it because the 707 shares common parts with the KC-135.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect (just my personal suspicions) that they did it because the 707 shares common parts with the KC-135.

As well as a variety of other electronics platforms in the US military (E-3, E-6.) Plus for the KC-135E re-engine program, the Air Force had bought up a shitload of used 707s for parts anyway. In fact I believe there are still a few 707 hulks at Davis-Monthan AFB.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

As well as a variety of other electronics platforms in the US military (E-3, E-6.) Plus for the KC-135E re-engine program, the Air Force had bought up a shitload of used 707s for parts anyway. In fact I believe there are still a few 707 hulks at Davis-Monthan AFB.

Yeah, its funny because from far off you see the JSTARS and think they look all new and amazing, then you get close and realize they are pretty damned old.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its funny because from far off you see the JSTARS entire USAF aircraft fleet and think they look all new and amazing, then you get close and realize they are pretty damned old.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

So what if the B-52 is ancient, its still worth it

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

CommieGIR posted:

So what if the B-52 is ancient, its still worth it

Haha, BUFF wasn't what I was thinking of, more the fighters that are literally falling apart.

Speaking of aircraft falling apart (not really), there was an AD released today for 737NGs.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

I do photo flights past the AMARC facility pretty often, and there are indeed quite a few 707's still sitting there. Within the last few months, they also seem to have acquired what remains of the Royal Navy Harrier fleet, presumably for spares to support the USMC Harriers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

iyaayas01 posted:

Haha, BUFF wasn't what I was thinking of, more the fighters that are literally falling apart.

Speaking of aircraft falling apart (not really), there was an AD released today for 737NGs.

Maybe Boeing is so used to the B-52 and B-17 not needing a vertical stabilizer anyways, so why does the 737 need one? :smug:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe Boeing is so used to the B-52 and B-17 not needing a vertical stabilizer anyways, so why does the 737 need one? :smug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

The E-3 testbed from Boeing Field ended up in the boneyard last year, apparently. Also, Tinker and Robins used to have dedicated 707s for flight deck-only training (at Tinker we called them P-sorties), no mission crew. There's no reason to pile on the hours of operational aircraft...well, that was the idea, but those jets are now at DM as well.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

azflyboy posted:

I do photo flights past the AMARC facility pretty often, and there are indeed quite a few 707's still sitting there. Within the last few months, they also seem to have acquired what remains of the Royal Navy Harrier fleet, presumably for spares to support the USMC Harriers.

I took this photo during an overhead at DM. (I wasn't at the controls). You probably have better ones though.

Big: http://i.imgur.com/L5xNOfq.jpg

I also got to circle north from 12 to 30. It was pretty cool flying over the boneyard at 536 ft AGL.

manic mike fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 16, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Wanna spend a day exploring that place.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gently caress that, I want to bring my camping gear.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

manic mike posted:

I took this photo during an overhead at DM. (I wasn't at the controls). You probably have better ones though.

Big: http://i.imgur.com/L5xNOfq.jpg

I also got to circle north from 12 to 30. It was pretty cool flying over the boneyard at 536 ft AGL.

I actually don't have any pictures of AMARC, since I'm busy flying the airplane and talking to ATC.

We normally orbit just outside the eastern part of the facility (near where all of the C-130's are stored), but ATC doesn't let us over there below about 1000 AGL.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

gently caress that, I want to bring my camping gear.

I would live there, like a hermit.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

CommieGIR posted:

I would live there, like a hermit.

I know from personal experience that sleeping inside an afterburner is not a good way to spend a night. Injectors are pokey.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I know from personal experience that sleeping inside an afterburner is not a good way to spend a night. Injectors are pokey.

Just bring a hammock and sleep in the cargo bay of a C-130. Problem solved.

ickna
May 19, 2004

I lived on DM for a few years when I was a kid, and had a blast riding my bike along the access roads around the boneyard and flight line. I also spent a lot of time at the base library poring through their Jane's collection trying to figure out what the hell that plane was that looked like an engine section of an SR-71 (turns out it was the D-21).

I never got to see the big guillotine slice up a B-52, though.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ickna posted:

I never got to see the big guillotine slice up a B-52, though.

Here's how it would have happened...

Watches the guillotine destroy another B-52, turns toward camera, single tear rolls down cheek.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cygni posted:

Here's somethin' pretty cool:

Wow, those nacelles are straight off of the Martin Seamaster.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

quote:

The FAA said the inspection was "prompted by reports of an incorrect procedure used to apply the wear and corrosion protective surface coating to attach pins of the horizontal stabilizer rear spar."

gently caress All Aerospace Finishing Companies (because they are bad and lovely at their jobs)

ickna
May 19, 2004

So much for my ride on a Mad Dog today.. Can AA really not calculate W&B without their computer?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th empennage related scare on the 737 ? I know there was one where they grounded all 737 classics in the mid 90s, and ISTR there was one in the 80s, and possibly a 737 original scare earlier too.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Friend of mine just sent this to me, thought I'd share:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Friend of mine just sent this to me, thought I'd share:

I miss you F-4s :( I really do

SybilVimes posted:

Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th empennage related scare on the 737 ? I know there was one where they grounded all 737 classics in the mid 90s, and ISTR there was one in the 80s, and possibly a 737 original scare earlier too.

I'm pretty sure you are right, they've also had a scare in the past with the flaps(?) jamming if I remember correctly.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
An AeroMexico 767-200 pulled off one hell of a tailstrike on takeoff in Madrid today, injuring two flight attendants from impact forces and causing this:

The crew apparently failed to inform ATC of the accident in a timely manner, resulting in damage to the nose gear of an Air Europa Airbus A330-200 that rolled over debris on takeoff seven minutes later.

This is definitely the most impressive tailstrike I've ever seen, I can't wait to see what the report says regarding how they pulled it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Is that APU plumbing I see there? Looks like they were about 100-meters away from doing a spectacular & final Nyancat impression...