Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

DemonDarkhorse posted:

I'm trying to use the add-on Stealthy, but the icon to turn it off and on has disappeared. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling and restarting FF, but that's about the limit of my knowledge. Where'd it go, and how can I get it back?

Try Ctrl / - it will show/hide the Add-on Bar. That's on Windows, if you're on Mac or Linux, I'm not sure if it's still the same key combination, or if Ctrl is replaced by Alt or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dodoman posted:

That's definitely odd. I only have a single tab open and I'm using 293mb of RAM.

Today it's only saying around 430.. with the same one tab open. I'm guessing as someone said, Flash, or it could simply be that earlier web browsing resulted in RAM never being freed up.

I also am sure I have the setting to never cache to disk, only to RAM, so that may explain the high usage. Either way I have 16GiB RAM and the usage doesn't bother me.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Try Ctrl / - it will show/hide the Add-on Bar. That's on Windows, if you're on Mac or Linux, I'm not sure if it's still the same key combination, or if Ctrl is replaced by Alt or something.

I tried that and I see my other add-ons, but not that one. It's weird because I used to be able to see it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

DemonDarkhorse posted:

I tried that and I see my other add-ons, but not that one. It's weird because I used to be able to see it.
If you go to Firefox, Options, Toolbar Layout, does the icon appear in that list? You may need to scroll down. If it does, drag it to your bar. If not, check the add-on website to see if there may be a new version that fixes the bug, or try a new Firefox profile to see if it's a setting.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
Success! Thank you.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I find that when I visit some pages that use (I assume) JavaScript to transform LaTeX syntax to presentable mathematics, Firefox causes my computer to hang for several seconds while it does... something. And I really do mean that it causes my computer to hang, not just Firefox: the mouse pointer stops responding, Winamp stops playing for a few seconds, etc. For examples, most pages of math.stackexchange.com exhibit this effect. For example, http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/361386/is-there-a-formula-for-sum-n-1k-frac1n3.

This effect happens only the first time I visit a page like this in a given session. If I visit another page later in the same session then no disruption occurs. Anyone able to offer any insight into why this happens and whether there's a fix? Surely it's unusual for the browser to bring the whole system to a halt in that way, even though it's only a brief effect.

Edit: Searching around a bit, it looks like this is a problem with a piece of software called MathJax and it may apparently occur in a number of different browsers, so this is probably not a suitable question for this thread.

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 14, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Hammerite posted:

Edit: Searching around a bit, it looks like this is a problem with a piece of software called MathJax and it may apparently occur in a number of different browsers, so this is probably not a suitable question for this thread.
You really shouldn't be having that problem, I don't see similar behavior when loading that page. My initial suspicions would be crappy security software or outdated video drivers.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Alereon posted:

You really shouldn't be having that problem, I don't see similar behavior when loading that page. My initial suspicions would be crappy security software or outdated video drivers.

I read on various sites that this issue is related to what fonts are installed on the system, surprising though that seems.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
So, I'm a dev, who WAS a Firefox user since its inception. Six month ago, I switched to Chrome, which isn't perfect, but launched quicker, seemed to be more stable, and had better dev tools.

How do things compare now?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

So, I'm a dev, who WAS a Firefox user since its inception. Six month ago, I switched to Chrome, which isn't perfect, but launched quicker, seemed to be more stable, and had better dev tools.

How do things compare now?

FF uses less memory than and has a much more flexible extensions API. JavaScript performance is essentially right on par with Chrome nowadays. Really, performance is no longer a reason to choose Chrome over FF now. FF has improved in great strides over the last months/year.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This may be more of a download site issue than a firefox one but still: Large downloads from certain sites tend to stall - it seems as though the download is ongoing, but the progress doesn't change for hours. I generally solve the problem by pausing and resuming the download (sometimes repeatedly). Is there a firefox add-on that would stop this from happening or at least automate the pause-resume function?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is there a GreaseMonkey script or something that can make YouTube videos take up the whole width of the browser without popping the video out or going fullscreen?

Basically, it would make the "Large Player" size option in the YouTube player use the whole width of the browser instead of just 2/3's of it or whatever.

Never mind! This works: https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/164234

fookolt fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 16, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh hey, thanks. This will be useful.

In related questions, I've downloaded the "SmartYoutube" add-on which supposedly forces youtube to load the entire video while paused, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Any versions of that that work?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yousabletubefix is what I've been using for probably years at this point and it's never let me down. Even when a site update breaks it it's generally autoupdated within a few days.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

NihilCredo posted:

Yousabletubefix is what I've been using for probably years at this point and it's never let me down. Even when a site update breaks it it's generally autoupdated within a few days.

I used to use this but switched to another because it had a lot of broken features and if they are broken its just bloat for the sake of bloat, did they ever fix the playlist stop autoplay stuff yet? Even most of the "Hide things" on pages didn't even work.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Im_Special posted:

I used to use this but switched to another
Well? What was it?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I've been using Youtube Center (since they left-aligned everything for some reason, also it does much of what Yousabletube/fix did) and Resize Youtube Player to Window Size for all my Youtube customization needs.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Magic Actions for YouTube is the best add-on for that, I've found. It works for both Chrome and Firefox.

It has buffering options, autoHD, can remove (or add) extra crap on the player page, control volume with scroll wheel, etc. etc.

I've only had it break for a few days one time. It seems to be very stable.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
If you have 200 subscriptions like I do then this script is awesome: Youtube Better Startpage

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/119613

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I am running Firefox 20.0.1 on Windows 7. I am getting the font display issues.
I have tried all the about:config setting listed in the OP and the issues is still there.
Are there any other suggestions?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
What videocard do you have? If it's an AMD card install the latest Beta drivers from the AMD website, otherwise install the latest release drivers from the nVidia/Intel website.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
If you have recently installed/upgraded to IE10 (think Final went live on Feb 26th) on your PC then the issue with rendering is probably caused from that (technically from an update that came along with IE10), as it did some changes to the way Windows renders font on an OS level, and I don't think its possible to reverted those changes once done, and this seems to only be an issue for a small select number of people though, not everyone has problems, so congrats be being one of the lucky ones.

The only solution I've heard of is to disable azure for content in about:config.

Then again, I have no clue if the above is your issue since all you've said was "font display issues" which is pretty vague, so if you're still on IE9 or don't run Windows at all then what Alereon said could probably be a fix to your problem.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I don't know if I should be asking this in this thread or not, since it could very well just be Flash-related, but I'm having issues with sound cutting out in Youtube videos randomly, as of the last Firefox update.

The sound just disappears until I click on the tracker, and then it comes back and plays for another little while before cutting out again. Is anyone else around here experiencing this issue?

Chrome and IE play just fine, but the videos are HTML5 in those browsers. I have Flash 11.7.700.169, Firefox 20.0.1, and Windows 7.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
This is what my Firefox looks like even with the about :config tweaks.

I did install IE 10 yesterday but I was having problems with Firefox before I installed it.

I recently (like in the past month) followed the directions to rebuild my profile, also.

It is sort of random and goes away if I hover over a link or highlight the text, or sometimes if I just scroll the text a little bit more.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yup that's the one.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=812695

Now that you know whats the problem you can try and Google around for a solution.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Im_Special posted:

Yup that's the one.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=812695

Now that you know whats the problem you can try and Google around for a solution.
Well that really sucks. No guaranteed fixes or ETAs an a permanent fix.

At least my work laptop is still Windows XP.

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"
Giantbomb.com has switched to using the browsers native full screen rendering instead of flash's implementation. So now on multi monitor setups when you change window focus it automatically leaves full screen, which is really annoying there are workarounds (f11 + windowed full screen) but I would rather just click one button. Is there some about:config setting or a plugin to make firefox keep fullscreen video playing on a second monitor when it loses focus?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Mujaji posted:

Giantbomb.com has switched to using the browsers native full screen rendering instead of flash's implementation. So now on multi monitor setups when you change window focus it automatically leaves full screen, which is really annoying there are workarounds (f11 + windowed full screen) but I would rather just click one button. Is there some about :config setting or a plugin to make firefox keep fullscreen video playing on a second monitor when it loses focus?
I know this is not at all a direct solution to your problem, but I personally use Chrome as my video/youtube/steaming browser on my secondary monitor just for this purpose - avoiding conflicts of all kinds with my main browser (FF). Works pretty well.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Mujaji posted:

Giantbomb.com has switched to using the browsers native full screen rendering instead of flash's implementation. So now on multi monitor setups when you change window focus it automatically leaves full screen, which is really annoying there are workarounds (f11 + windowed full screen) but I would rather just click one button. Is there some about :config setting or a plugin to make firefox keep fullscreen video playing on a second monitor when it loses focus?

Switch to Firefox 22 for now? It has your bug fixed: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=724554

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

Avenging Dentist posted:

Switch to Firefox 22 for now? It has your bug fixed: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=724554

Thanks, that link told me about setting "full-screen-api.exit-on-deactivate" to false and it fixed my problem. no need to go to 22.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Mujaji posted:

Thanks, that link told me about setting "full-screen-api.exit-on-deactivate" to false and it fixed my problem. no need to go to 22.

Exactly what I was looking for a few pages back, thanks.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Anyone know of a firefox extension that can do something similar to this?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bbcode-keys/aiandgacbnopbonkahcnbiljbjngbced

I've found a few that add bbcode options to the context menu, but none that allow you to use hotkeys for them, as the chrome extension does.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Anyone know of a firefox extension that can do something similar to this?
That's already implemented for the forums, use the same shortcuts you should be familiar with for any other text editor. Or are you looking for a solution for BBcode fourms in general?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Alereon posted:

That's already implemented for the forums, use the same shortcuts you should be familiar with for any other text editor. Or are you looking for a solution for BBcode fourms in general?

The latter. It's one of the few chrome addons I haven't found a replacement for :(

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Gerudo Rivera posted:

The latter. It's one of the few chrome addons I haven't found a replacement for :(

That and Google Input Tools. Screw having to use the Russian keyboard layout.

Does anyone who uses Single Window Mode in the tab extensions know how to get it to work with the new Private Browsing?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
If you get random CTDs and have media.windows-media-foundation.enabled enabled, turn that poo poo off.
It has a high chance to crash on any page with embedded audio streams.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Does anyone use Firefox with Sharepoint (2007)? The office integration features don't work without IE, so I tried using the only IEtab-style extension that was updated recently: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fire-ie/

Unfortunately, it freezes Firefox on many Sharepoint pages when in IE mode. The Chrome ietab extension didn't have this problem. This might be a deal breaker if I can't get it working :(

e: looks like they're aware of the problem https://getsatisfaction.com/fireie/topics/firefox_freezes_when_open_some_sites_via_fire_ie

The second proposed workaround ("without OOPP") fixed it for me :)

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 25, 2013

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Last question, I hope-

The download button is wider than normal buttons, for no discernible reason:

This is playing havoc with my pretend OCD. Is this a theme issue? Can I do anything to fix it?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Is there a way to back up your extensions that's not FEBE? I believe I'm going to need to reset my profile soon and I don't want to have to go dig up all my extensions again, and while it appears to, FEBE refuses to install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

m2pt5 posted:

Is there a way to back up your extensions that's not FEBE? I believe I'm going to need to reset my profile soon and I don't want to have to go dig up all my extensions again, and while it appears to, FEBE refuses to install.

You should be able to get at all of your extensions from your profile folder, and the old one is helpfully copied to your desktop when you run Reset Firefox:

quote:

After the reset is finished, your old Firefox profile information will be placed on your desktop in a folder named "Old Firefox Data."[1]

That said, I didn't actually try this to confirm it.