Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Started Fringe just finished the second season. I was hoping they wouldn't go that route but they did. Here's hoping it's not the decline of a series that was getting pretty interesting.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Lie To Me and Supernaturals

Lie to Me was extremely average but you're right about Tim Roth. Supernatural is pretty good because they had a five season story planned from the beginning. The story builds up between monster of the week episodes. Also if you get through the first five seasons I'd stop. The sixth season took a while to find it's feet and I couldn't watch anymore after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amplicon
Apr 27, 2011

Captain Obvious
Finished Spartacus season 3 and I must say that I was not taken in by it as with the first two seasons.
I thought the story arcs were a bit bland and all of the action scenes repeats of itself. It might be me but I got the impression that the "bloomy" speak was way over the top in this one.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Amplicon posted:

Finished Spartacus season 3 and I must say that I was not taken in by it as with the first two seasons.
I thought the story arcs were a bit bland and all of the action scenes repeats of itself. It might be me but I got the impression that the "bloomy" speak was way over the top in this one.

By season 3, you mean Vengeance? Get ready for the final season, because it is awesome!

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

richardfun posted:

By season 3, you mean Vengeance? Get ready for the final season, because it is awesome!

Dunno if I'm the odd man out, but I really didn't care for Vengeance or War of the Damned. Maybe it's the lack of Andy, I don't know.

The first season and Gods of the Arena are still absolutely loving awesome though.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

HUMAN FISH posted:

Dunno if I'm the odd man out, but I really didn't care for Vengeance or War of the Damned. Maybe it's the lack of Andy, I don't know.

The first season and Gods of the Arena are still absolutely loving awesome though.

You saying you didn't like the series finale? :psyduck:

Amplicon
Apr 27, 2011

Captain Obvious

richardfun posted:

You saying you didn't like the series finale? :psyduck:

Indeed. By season 3 I ment "War of the damned". I found it entertaining but not nearly as good as season 1 or 2. In my opinion it lacked a whole lot on the political and personal intrigues that were present in the first seasons. Also, where in the earlier seasons characters developed during the show, in season 3 they start and finish in the same state. In my mind there seemed to be much more going on in the previous seasons than in this one.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Amplicon posted:

Indeed. By season 3 I ment "War of the damned". I found it entertaining but not nearly as good as season 1 or 2. In my opinion it lacked a whole lot on the political and personal intrigues that were present in the first seasons. Also, where in the earlier seasons characters developed during the show, in season 3 they start and finish in the same state. In my mind there seemed to be much more going on in the previous seasons than in this one.

You said it better than I.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Frasier - Granted I've seen every episode probably a few times but it's been a while so binging on Netflix now. Kelsey Grammer really is a tremendous actor with a range that is unlike almost any other sitcom actor. He can deliver lines so perfectly. Like any sitcom, it takes a while to get good.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess I'll stick with the shield until Ep 10, I'm still on the fence so far, the lovely techno/metal end credits are annoying me more than they should.

Worst theme music for any good show ever. The Shield slowly gets better and better. Each season is better than the last. If you get bored, skip to season 5. That season is pretty amazing and you won't really be lost.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Worst theme music for any good show ever. The Shield slowly gets better and better. Each season is better than the last. If you get bored, skip to season 5. That season is pretty amazing and you won't really be lost.

What? Dont skip anything. That's terrible advice, and the season will mean jack poo poo.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Watched the first few episodes of Eastbound & Down today. Not sure if I can watch anymore of the Kenny Powers rear end in a top hat Hour. On the one hand it's fairly funny, on the other I actually cringe a little bit at how awful the character is.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, don't skip anything in The Shield that's just insane. Every bit of it is important. Just be ready to FF/Mute that terrible "Just another Day" music screaming. I hated that every single time.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Welp, I never did make it past Ep 4, but with all the encouragement in this thread I'll have to get back in the saddle. :negative:

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

What? Dont skip anything. That's terrible advice, and the season will mean jack poo poo.

Skip to season five instead of giving up was my advice.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Skip to season five instead of giving up was my advice.

Yeah, that's terrible advice. If you're going to skip 4 SEASONS, then don't watch the show. That's totally destroying the experience, and season 5 will mean pretty much nothing instead of being incredibly powerful.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

klaphark posted:

I watched the first 3 seasons (enjoyed most of it) of 24 a few years ago but stopped because season 4 was apparently the worst one and I had my fill of 24 at that point. I'm thinking about starting again though, should I just skip season 4 or try to power through?

Season five is considered one of the best, if not the best season. Season six is hands down the worst. Seven is pretty good. Eight was surprisingly good. Jack is just insane in the last season.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

WarLocke posted:

Watched the first few episodes of Eastbound & Down today. Not sure if I can watch anymore of the Kenny Powers rear end in a top hat Hour. On the one hand it's fairly funny, on the other I actually cringe a little bit at how awful the character is.

It wasn't until the last episode of season one where I warmed over to Kenny.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've jumped back on the Continuum bandwagon after jumping off halfway through the season on first airing. Showcase (Canada) is showing season 1 again and the second-last episode was great. The "anti-corporation people are bad guys" thing still bugs me but I hope they'll deal with that at some point.

Showcase is also airing Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. How did I not know this? I would've been paying $18 per month for HBO already if a sudden house-related expense didn't come up.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I just started watching Sons of Anarchy a couple of weeks ago...and now I'm halfway through season 4 (watched eps 1-8 last night). Totally binging on this show, really love it (although season 3 was a little weaker than 1 and 2) and I've gotten at least two of my work buddies into it, and probably another two pretty soon.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Burnt through season one of Boss and yeah, definitely enjoyed the show. I'm not that interested in some of the characters, and I guess another issue I have is that some of the stuff they do is so absurd for that character to do and not get caught its hard to emerge into the willing suspension of disbelief.

Season two is on its way to me so hopefully things continue to go well, though I read it got cut real short into its overall plot and they're looking to make a movie to wrap up the loose ends which could work.

CaptainHollywood posted:

It wasn't until the last episode of season one where I warmed over to Kenny.

It took me a few episodes to really enjoy his character as well, you somewhat have to accept how over the top the shtick is before realizing its clever humor/good ad lib.

krushgroove posted:

I just started watching Sons of Anarchy a couple of weeks ago...and now I'm halfway through season 4 (watched eps 1-8 last night). Totally binging on this show, really love it (although season 3 was a little weaker than 1 and 2) and I've gotten at least two of my work buddies into it, and probably another two pretty soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't season three where they spent like 6 months in Ireland looking for Jax's baby?

S.o.A. is a great show, sadly I have real life friends who feel the need to post spoilers to the episodes before I get a chance to watch it.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 17, 2013

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Wow, people calling SoA a great show...

Maybe I've spent too much time in the SoA thread, but that's an opinion I haven't come across very often.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
I stopped watching SoA after the 3rd season. The first two were pretty good, but doesn't seem that the new seasons are any better than the 3rd one.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

richardfun posted:

Wow, people calling SoA a great show...

Maybe I've spent too much time in the SoA thread, but that's an opinion I haven't come across very often.

I haven't seen much since early Season 4 so maybe it tanked? I enjoyed it when I would watch it regularly so I don't think its too far fetch'd to think its a great show. All of a matter of opinion really.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I stopped watching SoA after the 3rd season. The first two were pretty good, but doesn't seem that the new seasons are any better than the 3rd one.

It does have a Belle that does not tell.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

The first two seasons of SoA were fun, but it got progressively worse from there. At this point, I watch it out of boredom and because reading the thread after a new episode is a lot of fun.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Kinda just watched all of Misfits over the last few days because of people talking about "Help me Barry!" gifs in the Game of Thrones thread....

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sad to hear that most people are hating SoA...I'm nearly done with season 4 and have enjoyed it - not as much as season 1 or 2, but it definitely picked up from season 3. Unfortunately I already knew through accidental Google spoilers that Jackson is club prez but that hasn't diminished anything for me, really.

Uba Stij posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't season three where they spent like 6 months in Ireland looking for Jax's baby?

Yeah, and I think it was more the writing and not the actual story that led the series a bit off-track for me. It also taught me that clubs have chapters in different countries - although I should have known this since the Hell's Angels seem to have chapters everywhere.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 18, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
ugh, sorry, double post

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
only 3 episodes aired, but give Orphan Black a crack, it's actually very good.

geera
May 20, 2003
I just finished watching through all seven seasons of The West Wing, didn't skip one episode. I really enjoyed it overall, and I think a big part of it was because the cast was enjoyable and worked so well together. Plus I'm a sucker for political stuff like that. Does anybody have any recommendations for what I could move onto next with a similar format/style and ensemble cast? Wouldn't hurt if it's at least Sorkin-esque, either.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I've only seen season 1 of The Shield, but the funniest moment was when that one woman gives an epic rant to Dutch about how no one is doing anything about the violence in the ghetto, and it's pretty moving, and then it just cuts to "DA DA DA DA DA YEAAAAAAAAAAH!"

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

geera posted:

I just finished watching through all seven seasons of The West Wing, didn't skip one episode. I really enjoyed it overall, and I think a big part of it was because the cast was enjoyable and worked so well together. Plus I'm a sucker for political stuff like that. Does anybody have any recommendations for what I could move onto next with a similar format/style and ensemble cast? Wouldn't hurt if it's at least Sorkin-esque, either.

If you have Netflix I'd recommend House of Cards.

It's like West Wing, only the main character is from that mirror universe where everyone has goatees and wrings their hands while cackling maniacally.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I started binging on Breaking Bad. The weird thing is that I hated the show at first, it just became more and more painful to watch as the characters self destructed. And there's no humor or comic relief, it's all tension and drama. I decided to give up halfway through the second season and went ahead and spoiled myself on the entire series. Somehow, that's made it watchable, I'm now deriving some sick pleasure knowing exactly what shitstorm is around the corner.

I feel evil watching it, and I love it.

The show is definitely tense, but there's a good amount of humor in there. I'm actually surprised to see someone saying there's no humor or comic relief.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
The wife and I just plowed through Roswell. I watched it on and off while it was on and am surprised how well the show holds up. Take "My so called life" for example I loved it while it was on but now its unbearable.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

joebuddah posted:

The wife and I just plowed through Roswell. I watched it on and off while it was on and am surprised how well the show holds up. Take "My so called life" for example I loved it while it was on but now its unbearable.
Oh, that is good to hear. I was thinking of doing a re-watch sometime soon (watched all of it when it first aired and loved it, but haven't watched it again since), so I'm glad it holds up well.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Since I had an operation last week and all I can do is lie on the couch, I'm rewatching Angel for the first time in ten years. It's held up pretty well. Also, it's funny watching an older show and seeing guest stars who have become movie stars. Last night, I watched an episode with Jeremy Renner playing a vampire.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I've been watching Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. since the first season is on Netflix.

Why did I ignore this show before? Its got a great blend of comedy, nods to the old stuff, and mild mystery. I hear the second season is pretty good too, but I'll have to wait till it becomes available on Netflix before I can watch it.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
All three on Netflix:

Parenthood - One of my wife's favorite shows. It's not bad, and most of the cast is great. Lots of family crises and stuff like that. You can tell it was made by Jason Katims...

Friday Night Lights - One of my favorite shows that I'm trying to sell my wife on. Currently in the middle of the first season and I love it just as much as I did watching it in college.

Once Upon a Time - I want to like this, and the casting is great, but the writing is very very bad. You can tell it was made by Lost guys, as the shows share a similar kind of structure.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
While it wasn't so much a binge, it was the first time in recent memory where I watched/finished a show in "season one" as it aired on TV- only missed the first 3 episodes: Nathan For You. The last time I did that was maybe for Parks and Rec. I seriously can't remember.

While it seems unlikely a season two will air, season one was one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

It's hard to describe what makes it work or why, but the show involves Nathan Fielder going to various small businesses and helping them improve with a usually outlandish idea. I'm fairly certain though that when the show is filmed, the people are unaware that the show is in fact intended to be a comedy- so there's the 'reality' aspect. Comparisons to Borat get made because of that--But UNLIKE Borat, Nathan comes across as genuine- which is key to the show's success.

Here's a few clips of him "helping businesses"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUY_i5Tco68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btJWbVycaGU

Other times though, it goes in a different direction, trying to "inspire people" rather than help companies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNQ6_1GCVVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz6fGaXj7y0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The show looks good, but that caricature guy is so obviously aware that it's a comedy.