Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

All I'm going to admit to is less than five times in college, more than a year ago. That's it, and it doesn't require a waiver. Beyond that, there is no way to prove I'm lying, unless they're viewing these forums.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

ethanol posted:

All I'm going to admit to is less than five times in college, more than a year ago. That's it, and it doesn't require a waiver. Beyond that, there is no way to prove anything.

There's no way to even prove that, so if you're going to lie you might as well not gently caress yourself with your lie... one might say if they were to imply that you commit the crime of fraudulent enlistment.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hmmm. I'm so confused. I just don't think it's wise to lie. It is definitely possible to find out that I smoked. It is impossible to find out how much. But being honest with you guys, I'm probably gonna lie, lie, lie and say I never touched it, and make them figure it out the hard way. gently caress em. I trust my small smoking circle well enough not to rat me out.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 15, 2013

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

Hmmm. I'm so confused. I just don't think it's wise to lie. It is definitely possible to find out that I smoked. It is impossible to find out how much. But being honest with you guys, I'm probably gonna lie, lie, lie and say I never touched it, and make them figure it out the hard way. gently caress em.

I like how your primary idea is gently caress the government and you're not even an employee yet. Setting yourself up for great things ethanol, great things indeed.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ha, please stop making me say stupid poo poo and incriminate myself.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

Ha, please stop making me say stupid poo poo and incriminate myself.

Stop being paranoid as gently caress.

Just know that the government doesn't investigate that deeply into people's affairs unless they're going for a TS. Hell, I know people in the Navy right now, one is a surg tech, who no poo poo sold drugs throughout his entire high school life. Put down "Never seen weed in my life" and guess what, he's still in. Everyone in the Navy gets a Secret clearance.

Anyway, Ethanol, what's your primary reason for wanting to join this outfit anyway if you don't mind me asking.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I want to have the opportunity for each of the following: to have a military career, go officer, have a technical speciality that might help my career, fly, get benefits, pay for grad school, and other stuff. At the least I can expect to have better career prospects than I have now which looks incredibly depressing and boring. And I've always felt that call of duty, deep down.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 15, 2013

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

I want to have the oppurtunity for each of the following: to have a military career, go officer, have a technical speciality that might help my career, fly, get benefits, pay for grad school, and other stuff. At the least I can expect to have better career prospects than I have now which looks incredibly depressing and boring. And I've always felt that call of duty, deep down.

Which branch you looking at again?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The answer to that question right now is probably air force, and not marines.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

The answer to that question right now is probably air force, and not marines.

So, have you researched jobs within the Air Force that would allow you a higher rate of going officer over another? Have you thought about the technical fields you'd prefer to end up doing once you get out? Have you thought about the chances of getting deployed with your job/getting tasked to do things that would prevent you from going to school? Have you looked at the policies for permitting personnel to go to school while they're active duty? Have you seen any of the programs and their year requirements once you've achieved the coveted commission?

Most importantly, have you thought of what would happen to your mental state if the "call of duty" suddenly died because of the field you ended up in?

You don't need answers for all of the questions, but a small portion of them would go a long way to you being a good airman to just being a dirtbag.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm a bit muddled on jobs. I could work on aircraft, avionics, do atc, intelligence (maybe not if you're right about ts), uav, it, programming, liguistics.... I don't know what can help track to officer. I'm really trying to figure this part out.

I would like to do grad school after service or later into it.

Like I said, my career outlook without the armed forces is grim, I don't think I can be less happy if I lose the "call".

ethanol fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 15, 2013

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

I'm a bit muddled on jobs. I could work on aircraft, avionics, do atc, intelligence (maybe not if you're right about ts), uav, it, programming, liguistics.... I don't know what can help track to officer. I'm really trying to figure this part out.

I would like to do grad school after service or later into it.

Like I said, my career outlook without the armed forces is grim, I don't think I can be less happy if I lose the "call".

Wait....grad school? You already have a degree and you're going to enlist?

Also, the AF is hard as gently caress to get into period, and that's without waivers. You go in there and say you smoked pot and they need to get a waiver for you, you get shot down before you even had a chance to get on the runway there wingman. poo poo, when I went to the AF recruiter they were looking at not even filing paperwork because I had a scar on my forehead from when I was a kid.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 15, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Pandasmores posted:

Wait....grad school? You already have a degree and you're going to enlist?

Yessir. 2.33 GPA. I need some distance from this before I can go to grad school or try my hand at the officer board. I'm willing to do the whole delayed enlistment thing to get the position I want. Maybe I'll be disqualified for some BS reason, we'll see.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 15, 2013

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

Yessir. 2.33 GPA. I need some distance from this before I can go to grad school or try my hand at the officer board. I'm willing to do the whole delayed enlistment thing to get the position I want. Maybe I'll be disqualified for some BS reason, we'll see.

Read the fine print on whatever it is you're signing.

I've heard of rare moments where a guy actually went from enlisted to officer with it being in his contract to do so without having to apply for it and have it signed off by their command first.

Are you sure you can't just get a job with your degree and continue your life without signing away 8 years of your life?

v The man has a point.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 15, 2013

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
If you wanna fly, odds are you will need to pass a TS and therefore the SSBI.

If the dudes that know you smoked more than a few times in college are cool and aren't gonna dime you out, you'll be fine man.

I say that with the caveat that if you do get caught in a lie, the penalties can be harsh. It could be considered a host of problems--- 1) Fradulent Enlistment 2) Perjury 3) All kinds of loving articles of the UCMJ for continuing the lie while they investigate you and you're in the military.

Add in these forums posts and they can slap conspiracy to commit various problems too, I'm sure.

Is that very likely to happen? No. But it's a non-zero chance, where the benefit of your lie is you get to be another bitter angry underpaid and poo poo on military member, with the added risk of federal felonies loving you up for life.

I know dudes that had HELLA shady pasts before they joined the military, had jobs that didn't require clearances initially, cross trained and because they had served and mitigated a lot of the bad poo poo in their past, got their clearances. I also don't recommend this path. It's a pretty uncertain road.

Secret clearences are a loving joke to get, it's literally just a quick search of national databases for poo poo like arrests, bankruptcies, security incidents, court records, etc. They don't go interviewing people for Secret clearences... generally. Unless you need a good deal of mitigation then rarely they may ask a few questions.

Look I'll be frank with you, you don't really meet the requirements to do what you want to do. This all volunteer military thing really is a career choice thing that requires a person to maintain a certain lifestyle and level of health and fitness in order to serve.. :420: is awesome and all but blazing up and all that is a lifestyle choice you made that is (at least on paper) fundamentally incompatible with what it is you want to do. That's life.

Meanwhile, I know dudes that were selling and growing weed as civilians that still got their TS/SCI clearances in intel via just lying about it. To them, the risk:reward ratio was fine I guess. But this was also at the height of the recruiting crunch and investigations backlog, so a lot of poo poo flew that is quickly being locked the gently caress down in the post Iraq DoD.

6 years ago all of us would have been shocked to find out some dude that lied on his SF-86 got the book thrown at him and major league hosed up by the government/mil for it. Like, it would have blown my mind if that happened. Usually those guys just didn't get their clearances and were shuffled somewhere else or sent home, generally with the proviso that they're never going to get a clearance

6 years since? Well, we're transitioning back into peacetime like homestation conditions, with a gently caress load of drawdowns and much, much, stricter enforcement of rules and regulations across the board.

It's the military, it's really really good at killing things. When we run out of brown people, we make up for the shortfall in body count by killing young guy's careers and lives with stupid retarded only in peacetime military bullshit.

Read up about dudes getting jail time for minor poo poo that we routinely swept under the rug or slapped someone on the wrist for during the last 13 years. The 80's and 90's were a great peak of "look how loving stupid we can make this poo poo. Because if we're not going to be taking a war incredibly seriously and importantly at all times, we're going to take these rulles, regulations, and laws extremely seriously at all times and loving hammer dudes."

The risk:reward ratio for these kind of shenanigans is rapidly changing direction, literally every day. The dudes that managed to pull it off at the peak of the wars will generally be able to do full careers if they so choose, or continue to get their clearance renewed after the fact since the scope goes back to the LAST clearance investigation, so it's much less likely that their initial lies will be found.

That is not as likely to be the case for you or anyone else now as it was for them then.

So if you really feel that call of duty or whatever, you can try and beat the system as so many have before you, but please understand how much riskier that is getting than it used to be. I wish I could quantify the risk but I don't think anyone could.

The much safer alternative is to go for either something that doesn't require a TS and lie about the amount of weed use in order to not need a waiver to enlist, or even go for something that doesn't require a clearance and again, lie about the amount of weed use in your past. You'd still get to serve, and the risk level for lying is next to 0.

Anyway you cut it, you're going to have to lie about your drug use. I just want you to go into the process with your eyes wide open as to the risks of doing so if you really want to pursue some high speed enlist->fly->commision->career path. Me personally, knowing what I know now I wouldn't do it. But that's just me, you take and accept whatever risks you want to.

Just please.. think about it. That's all.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 15, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Eh I'll take the risk. Flying would be nice, but I'm not stuck on it. I'd have to be retarded to enlist to fly. That's not gonna stop me from taking the proper tests. But I'm well aware there are plenty of dudes who have been prepping for that since birth.

I find it pretty hard to believe that failing the TS is going to cause any problems other than failing the TS and having to do a different job. Maybe you can show me some real cases of people who lied about smoking weed and ended up incarcerated. Also, the risk of hating the life is a risk that everybody takes. I can tell you how much I hate my civilian life. Does that not count?

Now will I even go for a TS? I don't even know that. You guys don't need to be so zealous about this, I'm not gonna talk to a recruiter for another few months. If I hadn't already been floating around looking for a civilian life that fit me for the past 1.5 years, I wouldn't be thinking of this. If I hadn't been thinking about joining the armed forces since being about 12 years old, I wouldn't consider it. My parents told me to go get my degree and then do what I want to do. I was lucky enough to be able to afford it. Now there doesn't seem to be a 'job I want' right now to work towards, I'm back to enlisting. I want that poo poo.

Yes, without a war, the ease of opportunity shrinks, but I'm gonna leave that business up to the recruiter and a contract for now.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 15, 2013

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Man, it's one thing to lie about smoking weed as a kid to breeze through the enlistment process, it's another thing when guys in sunglasses start interviewing your stoner friends and using the classic trap of "he's never smoked weed? Well he disclosed that he did a few times in college, a time when you were apparently living in the same house; under penalty of perjury, did you lie to us?" Or let me ask you another question: how locked down is your facebook and/or twitter?

I think it's cool if you want to join the military, but risk/reward man; don't go for a top secret clearance if you have a sketchy past. Everyone gets paid the same.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nimmy posted:

Man, it's one thing to lie about smoking weed as a kid to breeze through the enlistment process, it's another thing when guys in sunglasses start interviewing your stoner friends and using the classic trap of "he's never smoked weed? Well he disclosed that he did a few times in college, a time when you were apparently living in the same house; under penalty of perjury, did you lie to us?" Or let me ask you another question: how locked down is your facebook and/or twitter?

I think it's cool if you want to join the military, but risk/reward man; don't go for a top secret clearance if you have a sketchy past. Everyone gets paid the same.

Like I said, I'm not a stoner. It's not on my facebook page. People who know me in real life know me as a very moral and trustworthy person. All you guys know is what I write on this forum, which is communicated by the best of my memory and writing ability (not every single thing I have written on SA has even been truthful, let's be frank), and your ability to comprehend it, so you really don't know how the interactions between the interviewers and my people will go. I mean no offense by this.

I took concealment of smoking weed just as seriously for my civilian life as I do for military. I was careful to never come off to anybody as a stoner. I simply indulged a few times. My 'stoner' friends aren't stoners anymore. Sure I lived with smokers. I also lived with non-smokers who lived with smokers and never smoked. And they're all good people. No shadiness. Go ahead, do a background check? I don't think that's how it's gonna play out with the guys in sunglasses. Pretty sure they're gonna say 'I have no clue whether he smoked or not" and leave it at that. If some spooky dude wants to prosecute for that... hmm.. good luck. Anyways, this has been a thrilling discussion, but I need to hit the hay.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 15, 2013

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
:negative:

Well, sometimes I try.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I smoked weed, needed a waiver, everything worked out ok in the end. They want to know the specific days you smoked weed; like exact date. I'm not going to say I lied, but I sure as poo poo didn't know what days so I just kind of estimated. So don't think of it as a lie, think of it as an estimate.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It must be up to the investigator. Their questioning about weed usage in my case amounted to who the gently caress cares essentially since it had been so long.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
Goon with useless law degree here. Applied to the FBI and passed initial screening (no drugs, no convictions, not a member of an extremist group, etc.), waiting on an e-mail for the next round of screening. Been thinking about joining US Navy Reserve, either as an enlisted CTI or CTN (if that's available, haven't been able to find it on the USN Reserve site). I figure polishing my Mandarin or getting started in an IT-type discipline couldn't hurt if I end up making the cut for FBI, even more if I don't. Is this feasible, or will I just end up mired in fuckery because of conflicting ship dates for training schools?

Kanyeshna
Mar 14, 2006
Lurker Extraordinaire
What kind of poo poo do I need to get together if I'm thinking of enlisting as an Army Special Forces candidate? I know this forum frowns on the guys who think they can just breeze through SERE (or BUD/S, etc.) but I'm aware that if I wash out I'll spend the rest of my contract as enlisted infantry.

That said, I've got strong academics, I'm in good physical shape (and improving), I'm proficient in a foreign language, and I'm not a kid fresh from HS looking to live out my Black Ops fantasies. The particular specialty of the Special Forces aligns with my future career goals and the challenge is an attractive part of the job for me.

So, concisely:

1. Am I stupid for considering this?
2. Having accounted for PT, academic requirements, and language, are there any serious requirements that I'm overlooking?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
SERE is Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape. I may have mixed up the E's but that's what it is. I'm pretty sure you do it as SF but compared to selection and the SFs Q course I imagine it's pretty trivial. Our very own iceslice is SF you PM him he will probably have helpful advice. I've always heard rucking fucks with people bad so, learn to ruck! Put weight on your back and build up to rucking long distances.

Also you will probably fail but maybe not!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

On a whim, I went over to talk to a navy recruiter. It was pretty entertaining. First thing he said was why are you here? I said I wanted them to get a sense of me, and I wanted to get a sense of them... and I didn't want to sign up today. His response? He whispers "You're not gonna pass a drug test, are you? I'm not new to this job. Everybody in this building has smoked weed before. C'mon an english major, and you're telling me you never smoked? Just don't do it again. Nobody walks in here and waits to sign unless they know they're gonna fail MEPS." Ha ha. Oh boy. Set myself up for this one. I stammered my next few answers out, and he kept calling me out. Then he pressed me to see how much I've smoked. He showed me a form that said 'less than 10 times, no waiver', "that's you, right?" And he winked. Then he acted like it was no big deal and kept describing what I can expect. We talked about jobs, and why I wanted to join, and he said he doesn't ship anybody out without the job they want, because he's a 'man of his word' and 'doesn't believe people without the job they want belong in the navy'. If I want it, I'll get it, providing I pass the proper MEPS qualifications. Hmm, nothing I haven't heard before. . He also told me to go talk to an air force recruiter because he felt they might have better fitted jobs for me, and they were 'think on their feet guys'. Fun fact, he said he was the top recruiter in 2011. I thought he was a nice dude all in all, but I could sense the "Sign here, worry later," attitude. Though he also said something along the lines of "I get more people signing than I need to meet my numbers. I get paid regardless... so it's gonna be all about what you want, and whether you act on it, not what I want." Then I filled out some sort of form that enables them to call me I guess, and told me not to walk back in until I was ready to pass the drug test.

So I learned basically nothing, I guess, except that they didn't look at me and tell me to get out. Which was basically why I went. Sure hope he didn't write any of that drug poo poo down anywhere. Yeah, I'm not sure I'm gonna try anything that needs TS. Gonna do what feels right when the time comes.

E: I forgot to mention the recruiter and I heard about the boston bombing at the same time. His eyes, man. His eyes. Rage.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 16, 2013

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
For what its worth, when I dep'd into the navy almost four years ago, I had a possession charge, and with it, I obviously had to get a waiver for that, and smoking the poo poo.

They pushed me hard on trying to get one of them Top Secret jobs, even then, saying just be honest and we can waive it. CT, nuke, all that type of thing. I didnt want it because six years was too long to go off the assumption I'd want to be in that long.

Of course, it was a different Navy even that short of time ago.

If you really want a TS job, try for it.

My recommendation to you: don't sign a six year contract. You might hate it.

If you like it, just reenlist after four years. Maybe put an officer package in if you wanna make real money and have your quality of life improve.

If you don't, then you have four years of great professional experience (if you don't gently caress it away with a DUI or something) and free GI Bill!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Word. Beria, what's your job and how are you liking it? Since you picked it over the TS, it's especially relevant to my interests.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Goon with useless law degree here. Applied to the FBI and passed initial screening (no drugs, no convictions, not a member of an extremist group, etc.), waiting on an e-mail for the next round of screening. Been thinking about joining US Navy Reserve, either as an enlisted CTI or CTN (if that's available, haven't been able to find it on the USN Reserve site). I figure polishing my Mandarin or getting started in an IT-type discipline couldn't hurt if I end up making the cut for FBI, even more if I don't. Is this feasible, or will I just end up mired in fuckery because of conflicting ship dates for training schools?

Apply to the CIA and NSA as well.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Sir Lucius posted:

Apply to the CIA and NSA as well.

Don't forget the DIA too!

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

ethanol posted:

Word. Beria, what's your job and how are you liking it? Since you picked it over the TS, it's especially relevant to my interests.

I'm an electrician, more or less, and I was lucky enough to be sent to the kind of work center where most, if not all, of my new coworkers were, a rank above me an had attended two extra schools I had not, and had signed six year contracts.

The work we did involved recording the launch and recovery of aircraft aboard a carrier, as well as assisting in the landing of those aircraft through various electronic equipment.

Its a pretty cool job, I got very lucky, and was very good at it.

I worked very hard and was awarded and recognized by command in many ways, made rank very fast, got a position of authority, and became a subject matter expert on both systems, and had some great times in many beautiful, interesting countries.

That being said, I really do not like the miliTary and all the bullshit that comes with it. So I'm gonna tell my story walking and boogie on out to civilian life.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Edit for being dumb

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 16, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You're me with a good GPA. If I had a good GPA, I'd be going for OCS. 3.84 is amazing, you should at least try for OCS first.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sasgrillo posted:

Also since TS clearance was mentioned I had a question about that too. Would the activities of friends and relatives be counted against that person even if they're squeaky clean?

The most important thing to ask yourself is "Will this factor cause me to not be trusted with classified information?"

(In your example the answer is no, it would not)

Kanyeshna
Mar 14, 2006
Lurker Extraordinaire

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

SERE is Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape. I may have mixed up the E's but that's what it is. I'm pretty sure you do it as SF but compared to selection and the SFs Q course I imagine it's pretty trivial. Our very own iceslice is SF you PM him he will probably have helpful advice. I've always heard rucking fucks with people bad so, learn to ruck! Put weight on your back and build up to rucking long distances.

Also you will probably fail but maybe not!

I'll get in touch with iceslice and throw some weights into a bag for hiking. I hadn't considered the rucking. Are army packs braced like a backpacking bag, or would I be better served using something like a school bag? Thanks for the advice!

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Kanyeshna posted:

I'll get in touch with iceslice and throw some weights into a bag for hiking. I hadn't considered the rucking. Are army packs braced like a backpacking bag, or would I be better served using something like a school bag? Thanks for the advice!
Just go to a surplus store and buy a alice pack

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
13Blow poo poo up. May 7th ship out. Guess I'm done with this thread now, thanks again.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Nimmy posted:

13Blow poo poo up. May 7th ship out. Guess I'm done with this thread now, thanks again.

:cawg:

What a great choice!

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nimmy posted:

If that's what you think. They come back. They always come back. Soon there will be another person, a young version of you, and they will ask "13B" and the stories will flow. Oh how they will flow.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
All this has happened before, and will happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm going with an elaborate troll attempt. You have a college degree and you're not going officer, or 35 series or some other technical MOS? And picked 13B of all your choices? :wtf:

At any rate, welcome to the Army.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 16, 2013

• Locked thread