Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

iluvpr0n posted:

Didn't someone sell some records to someone that turned out to be Henry Rollins a while back? I had my own brush with fame in used vinyl sales recently when Elijah Wood bought a couple Buffalo Daughter records off me for $15 on Discogs.com. Nothing caught my attention about it at the time until the woman at the post office asked me if it was the Elijah Wood.

Turns out it was. I guess he's a part-time DJ, so that's cool. Hopefully he enjoys spinnin' my records in Middle Earth.

That was me, and that's awesome! Elijah Wood has always seemed like a really cool guy.

Here's some stuff I've gotten over the past week... I've kinda been listening to way too Prince as of late:

Prince - For You
Prince - Prince
Price and the Revolution - Parade
Prince - Sign 'o' the Times

Black Angels - Indigo Meadow
David Byrne + Brian Eno - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Prince and the Revolution - Around the World in a Day
Mike Adams At His Honest Weight - Not No More - Joyful Noise April Flexidisc
Flaming Lips - The Terror - UK 2CD

Parade is a seriously great, underrated album.

And I'm still not sure what I think of the new Black Angels album. I can understand why they decided to change up their sound, but I kinda miss how droney they used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Surfingelectrode posted:

That was me, and that's awesome! Elijah Wood has always seemed like a really cool guy.

Here's some stuff I've gotten over the past week... I've kinda been listening to way too Prince as of late:
Prince - Sign 'o' the Times
I've been meaning to pick this up and was surprised at how inexpensive it was on Discogs. I'm not sure why, but I expected it to be high as hell. Nice!

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005
Not a bad little haul from a local charity shop today. Sorry for the poo poo pictures.

UK Subs - Warhead
Boss Hog - Get it While You Wait
Teenage Fanclub & Jad Fair - Near to You
Belle and Sebastian - Jonathan David
Some weird UK punk 2x7" that I have a sneaking suspicion will be awful.

The two in plain sleeves are 'Liar' by The Rollins Band and 'Haunt You Down' by Pavement. There's some odd scribblings on them.

(Back of Liar)

(Front of Haunt You Down)

(Back of Haunt You Down)

:2bong:
(P.S. Hope you're okay wherever you are, record-giving away crazy person)

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

that's awesome.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Dang, thats a great find.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Grr, my copy of Sigur Ros' ( ) and Agaetis Byrjun never showed, Amazon.co.uk is going to re-send ( ) but Agaetis is no longer available from them, and the cheapest 3rd party provider is about $4 more expensive than it was.

Argh.

Edit: Great, ( ) isn't in stock but it's expected to arrive within a day or three.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Is it par for the course to not hear a peep from Third Man regarding confirmation/shipping/receipts but still get your order in the mail? I'm sure I've seen this subject come up a few times here, but I ordered that bad rear end Carl Sagan 7" 2+ weeks ago (I'm in Canada so that isn't odd) and haven't got it yet so I'm a little curious.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

iostream.h posted:

Grr, my copy of Sigur Ros' ( ) and Agaetis Byrjun never showed, Amazon.co.uk is going to re-send ( ) but Agaetis is no longer available from them, and the cheapest 3rd party provider is about $4 more expensive than it was.

Argh.

Edit: Great, ( ) isn't in stock but it's expected to arrive within a day or three.

Oof, glad I ordered it from Fatcat then (though mine still hasn't turned up).

ethan posted:

Is it par for the course to not hear a peep from Third Man regarding confirmation/shipping/receipts but still get your order in the mail? I'm sure I've seen this subject come up a few times here, but I ordered that bad rear end Carl Sagan 7" 2+ weeks ago (I'm in Canada so that isn't odd) and haven't got it yet so I'm a little curious.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Hmm, I'll shoot them an email. Cheers!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The National's new album is available for pre-order in normal and deluxe edition.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sorta neat, the new Star Trek movie is getting a vinyl release for the soundtrack.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ofsguitothet-20

Not having great luck lately with soundtracks releasing on time, though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Speaking of soundtracks, I just ordered the Halo: Anniversary soundtrack from Amazon and am gonna grab the Moon OST after I get paid tomorrow night. I watched Moon for the first time last night under recommendation from the goons in the .gif thread in PYF and it was fantastic :allears:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 15, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Both the movie and soundtrack are killer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

david puddy posted:

Speaking of soundtracks, I just ordered the Halo: Anniversary soundtrack from Amazon and am gonna grab the Moon OST after I get paid tomorrow night. I watched Moon for the first time last night under recommendation from the goons in the .gif thread in PYF and it was fantastic :allears:

If you liked that the director's second film is also great. It's called Source Code. And to bring this back to music, the director in question is the son of David Bowie.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

If anyone's interested, shels are doing a re-press of Plains of the Purple Buffalo

http://www.shelsmusic.com/label/store.php

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Dacap posted:

If anyone's interested, shels are doing a re-press of Plains of the Purple Buffalo

http://www.shelsmusic.com/label/store.php

Oh my god, yes.
Thanks for the heads up.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

the way they're doing it is kind of dumb? "If we get 100 pre-orders, we'll re-press this." I just don't seem to agree with Shels' business methods. They were selling that record last year for $50 too.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
moved to a new apartment and today was Vinyl Collection Moving Day. end result:

I still need to move over the 7"s and the tapes, but that's the lot of them. Not pictured: my small collection of 10"s, all of which live in the cabinet on which my turntable goes on top.

Also I upgraded my table from a Pro-Ject Debut III with a 2M Blue to a Xpression Classic with a 2M Black, then ran that through a RR2150 out to a set of Polk towers + sub. Went with Person Pitch as the maiden voyage for the new setup and it sounds SO loving GOOD; there's so much going on in this album than I've ever heard before. I can't wait to put on A Wizard/A True Star or Disco Inferno's 5 EPs or Here Come The Warm Jets or or or (succumbs to seizure brought on by sheer sonic ecstasy).

trdn89 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 16, 2013

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
So when's the Hardcore Devo moving out?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

So when's the Hardcore Devo moving out?

May 14th. Deluxe edition is sold out now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wa27 posted:

May 14th. Deluxe edition is sold out now.

Are the black vinyl copies limited?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

The Flaming Lips' limited edition, silver vinyl, double LP came today. Surprisingly, Warner Brothers didn't gently caress it up, or at least not my copy. As far as the album goes, I really don't know what to say. It's definitely the least Lips sounding record for me.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Are the black vinyl copies limited?

I don't believe so, and they said it will be available in stores. The deluxe edition was exclusive to the website, though they didn't promote it as being limited.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I Might Be Adam posted:

The Flaming Lips' limited edition, silver vinyl, double LP came today. Surprisingly, Warner Brothers didn't gently caress it up, or at least not my copy. As far as the album goes, I really don't know what to say. It's definitely the least Lips sounding record for me.

I can understand what you're saying. They used to be a really weird band, but underneath all that weirdness were really catchy songs with strong pop hooks. Yeah, they were gonzo pop hooks, but that's part of the appeal. They had really strong melodies, and they knew how to blend it with their more droney stuff. But their recent stuff is just a lot of noise, a lot of drones, but there's nothing that really hooks me. I found Embryonic really boring, and nothing from this new one is hooking me. Personally, I think I'm done with their new releases.

But don't take this as me hating them. They just want to go in a different direction than I want to go. And let's face it, Coyne always wanted to explore different directions. But I'll hope they make a return to tunes.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I was really digging some of the drone and weird atmospheric stuff but halfway through, I was really wanting to hear some substance and those massive drums that they're known for but it just never really came. I liked Embryonic. This was more like a Thom Yorke solo record for me though. It's still the Flaming Lips but the band didn't come into the studio kind of feel if that makes sense. There just aren't really any songs.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Yep, I got ahold of the Deluxe on their site, just wondering

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

WASDF posted:

the way they're doing it is kind of dumb? "If we get 100 pre-orders, we'll re-press this." I just don't seem to agree with Shels' business methods. They were selling that record last year for $50 too.

I think it is dumb that they take the money as soon as you preorder even though it's not guaranteed (though let's face it, it's pretty well guaranteed). Mehdi is a good dude though and I trust he wouldn't take my money.

The reason they were selling the last copies for $40 last year was to raise some money for the small tour they did. They started out at the same $25 they are now.

I found a copy of this in a JB Hi-Fi on my lunch break today, been looking out for it for a few weeks now:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Was it horribly expensive like the one at my JB?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

bowmore posted:

Was it horribly expensive like the one at my JB?

$34.99

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
$70. I laughed when I saw it. It was the standard release.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

bowmore posted:

$70. I laughed when I saw it. It was the standard release.

??? what? I wouldn't even pay $70 for the 45RPM version. The sound is lo-fi enough that I don't think it'd make much of a difference.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The Strapping Young Lad box sets are going on sale at 10AM EST tomorrow.

http://www.blood-music.com/store-us/

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

That's pretty expensive

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Is this particularly hard to find in Australia? I could probably walk into any record store in the US that sells new vinyl and find a copy for $20. Hell, not even record stores- every Urban Outfitters in the US has like 100 copies of that and Lonerism right next to all the Adele vinyl and Rumours reissues.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 16, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

alg posted:

That's pretty expensive

For 7 200g LPs and a bunch of extras in a custom cut box, it sounds about right tbh. I got the splatter edition today because I have a Blood Music membership :) Been waiting forever.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Real jealous of that setup/collection.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is this particularly hard to find in Australia? I could probably walk into any record store in the US that sells new vinyl and find a copy for $20. Hell, not even record stores- every Urban Outfitters in the US has like 100 copies of that and Lonerism right next to all the Adele vinyl and Rumours reissues.

I don't think so, it's just that I only listened to it recently and was hoping to find a copy. It was good to find one close to home (I usually have to go 30+ minutes out of my way to go record shopping).

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Traded a big pile of junk that I culled from the shelves and got a bunch of reissues / comp stuff I've missed. I've gotten a number of decent 45s lately but nobody cares about those so here's some LPs I like before they get moved from the 'recent' pile:

Almost bought a pair of La Scalas but decided the cabinets were in too bad shape to manage w/ refinishing. I really don't want to have to deal with relaminating, never done it before and would hate to gently caress it up. Odds are really, really low a decent pair will ever show up near me though.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
One of those is for HAI :coolfish:

Ras Het posted:

lmao at the idea of finding originals of any of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

JehovahsWetness posted:

Traded a big pile of junk that I culled from the shelves and got a bunch of reissues / comp stuff I've missed. I've gotten a number of decent 45s lately but nobody cares about those so here's some LPs I like before they get moved from the 'recent' pile:

Almost bought a pair of La Scalas but decided the cabinets were in too bad shape to manage w/ refinishing. I really don't want to have to deal with relaminating, never done it before and would hate to gently caress it up. Odds are really, really low a decent pair will ever show up near me though.

This guy right here gives a poo poo