Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Uthor posted:

I spent 1.2 GB streaming a Netflix movie on Monday. No issues because of it.

EDIT: Remember when people thought that was no way you'd need a 1 GB hard drive? Now we can stream 1 GB over the air to our cell phones in an hour.

Nice. Have you ever bought more backup minutes? Is it a flat 10¢ per minute or is it tiered pricing with 90 day expiration like the pay as you go voice I saw on the website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

jototo posted:

Nice. Have you ever bought more backup minutes? Is it a flat 10¢ per minute or is it tiered pricing with 90 day expiration like the pay as you go voice I saw on the website?

It's a flat .10¢/minute so keep some extra cash in your T-Mobile account or you won't be able to call.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

potentiometer posted:

I've used 1.75G this mo on t-mo ST and around 1.5 last month and haven't been throttled yet, YMMV of course.

T-Mobile Straight Talk is 100% fine with virtually no throttling. It's AT&T Straight Talk that will throttle the poo poo out of you just for loading a webpage wrong.

It's pretty much AT&T's fault for trying to crack down on Tracfone. However, there's been reports that Net10 doesn't throttle much anymore after their hard cap. If ST ever goes to one, it'll pretty much be the same way.

Pivit posted:

It will ask you for the activation code which is in the booklet that comes with your prepaid sim, the sim number found on the card itself, and your phone's imei. Then you will have the option of getting a new telephone number or migrating your old phone number over to t-mobile. Hold your mouse over the ? on this page for more info.

Thanks! I'll give this a shot.

Also, your avatar is terrifying and I don't even mind spiders. :v:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
My Straight Talk SIM arrived today (AT&T). Of course, I've put it in my Nexus 4, set it up online, paid, set the APN properly and nothing. Not one single bar.

Did I get taken by an eBay scam?

Edit: Nevermind. Called ST and they told me the SIM was never activated. Strange because I went through the entire activation process, paid and got a new number. 15 minutes later and it finally works. Whew.

Edit2: The SIM I received was obviously cut from a larger one. No big deal. How do I know if I have a Net10 or actual Straight Talk SIM? Just read that the Net10 one's are limited to 1.5gigs/month.

The phone number on the janky eBay seller printout instruction sheet was disconnected. The message gave me a new 800-number, which was a Net10 one :(

Does this mean I have a Net10 version? How can I check? The actual SIM didn't have any branding on it...was light grey in color.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 12, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hotsauce posted:

My Straight Talk SIM arrived today (AT&T). Of course, I've put it in my Nexus 4, set it up online, paid, set the APN properly and nothing. Not one single bar.

Did I get taken by an eBay scam?

Edit: Nevermind. Called ST and they told me the SIM was never activated. Strange because I went through the entire activation process, paid and got a new number. 15 minutes later and it finally works. Whew.

Edit2: The SIM I received was obviously cut from a larger one. No big deal. How do I know if I have a Net10 or actual Straight Talk SIM? Just read that the Net10 one's are limited to 1.5gigs/month.

The phone number on the janky eBay seller printout instruction sheet was disconnected. The message gave me a new 800-number, which was a Net10 one :(

Does this mean I have a Net10 version? How can I check? The actual SIM didn't have any branding on it...was light grey in color.

Net10 is limited, yes but has less insane throttling. ST has a limit but no one really knows what it is. The general idea is 2GB/mo but even that seems to push it.

Either way, if you're signed up to ST with the SIM it'll work even if it's a Net10 one since Net10 and ST are all TracFone anyway and TracFone buys their SIMs direct from AT&T.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Speaking of ST, cut down a tmobile sim for my nexus 4 and ive had it for 2 months, i dont think ive ever had the capability to send MMS. It sucks rear end. Is this normal for straight talk or what?

As soon as i insert a picture into a text and send it it just says "sending..." forever. If i try to respond group texts the same thing happens.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

coolskillrex remix posted:

Speaking of ST, cut down a tmobile sim for my nexus 4 and ive had it for 2 months, i dont think ive ever had the capability to send MMS. It sucks rear end. Is this normal for straight talk or what?

As soon as i insert a picture into a text and send it it just says "sending..." forever. If i try to respond group texts the same thing happens.

This is pretty much normal on ST. MMS is just 100% broken.

You can probably call in and they'll "reset" something (read: probably do nothing) and it'll just work for a day...then stop working again.

I've found that restarting the phone, sending when your NOT on wi-fi, trying to send a picture taken when you choose "Take Photo" instead of something you took previously, or even using a file manager to send a picture MIGHT work.

Try one of those things...but honestly, it probably won't work.

This also affects RECEIVING MMS as well as sending.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
For all of you with MMS problems on ST for AT&T, is this even after you've entered the MMS APN profile on the phone? I've been on ST AT&T since November and only initially had problems with MMS but its been fine ever since.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

T-Mobile Straight Talk is 100% fine with virtually no throttling. :v:

That seems to be the case. Also building penetration is much much better than anything I saw in the 4 or so years I spent with ATT, perhaps having aftermarket (nexus/fake imei) phones not being provisioned correctly? had something to do with it, not really sure. But I get killer speeds in places where before I had zip previously, I will say though my area is littered with T-Mo towers. At literally half the price vs ATT, win/win, Thanks T-Mo!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

For all of you with MMS problems on ST for AT&T, is this even after you've entered the MMS APN profile on the phone? I've been on ST AT&T since November and only initially had problems with MMS but its been fine ever since.

What APN(s) are you using? I've used one APN, two APNs and it's still just not working right.

I'm willing to give it a try yet again though... Mind sharing your settings?

potentiometer posted:

That seems to be the case. Also building penetration is much much better than anything I saw in the 4 or so years I spent with ATT, perhaps having aftermarket (nexus/fake imei) phones not being provisioned correctly? had something to do with it, not really sure. But I get killer speeds in places where before I had zip previously, I will say though my area is littered with T-Mo towers. At literally half the price vs ATT, win/win, Thanks T-Mo!

They sell T-Mobile cards here in Omaha, NE but I'm not sure why. We only have a few towers and, last I heard, it's crap.

I'm going to give them a try soon though.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

ThermoPhysical posted:

What APN(s) are you using? I've used one APN, two APNs and it's still just not working right.

I'm willing to give it a try yet again though... Mind sharing your settings?

I've had AT&T ST on my Gnex for a while now and managed to get MMS working with these APN settings:

Name: straight talk
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

Name: mms
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
MMS proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
APN type: mms

I eventually got these settings after a long search, but they work for me. As always, YMMV.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I'm thinking about getting a Nexus 4 and running it on T-Mobile no-contract. Getting one of these phones cost $100 more through T-Mobile compared to buying it straight from Google. Is it a pain in the rear end to Buy it from Google and then set it up with T-Mobile?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

MSPain posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Nexus 4 and running it on T-Mobile no-contract. Getting one of these phones cost $100 more through T-Mobile compared to buying it straight from Google. Is it a pain in the rear end to Buy it from Google and then set it up with T-Mobile?

Nope. We did it twice this week with phones from Google and the $30 plan. The activation page didn't like my husband trying to use Chrome though. He had to switch to Firefox. Other than that, no issues.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Wait tmobile had a $30 plan?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yup:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

It's for new accounts only.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MSPain posted:

I bought my Nexus 4 from Google and set it up fine on the T-Mobile $30 plan about a month ago.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ordinaire posted:

I've had AT&T ST on my Gnex for a while now and managed to get MMS working with these APN settings:

Name: straight talk
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33
APN type: default,supl

Name: mms
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
MMS proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
APN type: mms

I eventually got these settings after a long search, but they work for me. As always, YMMV.

Tried these and it worked once. The picture was sent exactly 11 minutes after I actually pressed "MMS" to send. Actually receiving MMS worked seemingly okay.

Anyone have any other APNs for Straight Talk AT&T? I'm starting to think that APNs that work on other phones don't work on the Nexus 4 for some weird reason.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

FYI for Straight Talk/NET10 AT&T users (in case you haven't seen the article), this one discusses the data cap and whatnot. Apparently with BYOP it is 1.5GB per month but it sounds like that applies to NET10. Prepaid Phone News has a write-up about it as well.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 14, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

FYI for Straight Talk/NET10 AT&T users (in case you haven't seen the article), this one discusses the data cap and whatnot. Apparently with BYOP it is 1.5GB per month but it sounds like that applies to NET10. Prepaid Phone News has a write-up about it as well.

From reading that link, I finally got an answer as to why most people don't set the proxy for AT&T ST.

quote:

1) This is because with ST, you are going thru their "proxy", which uses horrid QoS settings to slow your data down and delay it. With the Iphone, you cannot disable or ignore this proxy because you do not have the option too. If you use an android phone(I recently switched to an SGS3), you can disable the proxy server(set to ignore) and its just as fast as AT&T services should be.

This actually makes perfect sense. If you disable the proxy on an Android phone, Speedtest will work just fine. However, if you leave the proxy in, Speedtest won't work. I've tried this myself and multiple people have said it.

Some people think that it lets you be unthrottled, but that's not true (as the person stated in the post later on).

quote:

3) wrong APN settings for AT&T, and its a confirmed issue with the iphone only. Try using ğmmsc.cingular.com instead of the IP they give you, or try .33 instead of .32 as the last octet. Since switching to my SGS3, i have no issues sending and receiving picture messages to/from anyone, and im using the same hit or miss APN settings that would work 80% of the time on my iphone4. Both ST and AT&T confirmed that it was an issue with the way the phone is software setup to only send MMS to AT&T servers(if its an AT&T phone), and some of the time, ST servers catch it, and sometimes it just goes to an AT&T server and gets blackholed because its a non-account.

Would love to know how they got MMS working though...

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

From reading that link, I finally got an answer as to why most people don't set the proxy for AT&T ST.

This actually makes perfect sense. If you disable the proxy on an Android phone, Speedtest will work just fine. However, if you leave the proxy in, Speedtest won't work. I've tried this myself and multiple people have said it.

Some people think that it lets you be unthrottled, but that's not true (as the person stated in the post later on).

Would love to know how they got MMS working though...

What about this write-up? It's from last year and I don't have an ST account/phone yet so I have no idea if it's correct or not.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Are the MMS issues only with Straight Talk AT&T? I'm pushing my sis and brother in law to switch, but no MMS would be a deal breaker for her.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

What about this write-up? It's from last year and I don't have an ST account/phone yet so I have no idea if it's correct or not.

I'll give it a read, thanks! :)

Uthor posted:

Are the MMS issues only with Straight Talk AT&T? I'm pushing my sis and brother in law to switch, but no MMS would be a deal breaker for her.

From what I've seen, yes it's limited to AT&T ST. T-Mobile ST doesn't seem to have these issues.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

ThermoPhysical posted:

How do you disable the proxy?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

How do you disable the proxy?

Don't put it in. Where it says to add the proxy, you can just completely omit that step.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just had my first monthly re-up with Net10 on the two line unlimited family plan and was irritated to see that I paid $8 in taxes. Are there cards available to bring the refill amount without having to pay the tax? I know there are $90 cards, which would be about $3/mo savings right off the top without any taxes and I have seen sites in the past where there are sold at slight discounts. What's the best solution goon-army?

Thanks!

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
If anyone wants, I got a nano-cut ST ATT sim that I'm getting rid of for $15. You can probably put it in a adaptor if you would like to use a larger size.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

TraderStav posted:

I just had my first monthly re-up with Net10 on the two line unlimited family plan and was irritated to see that I paid $8 in taxes. Are there cards available to bring the refill amount without having to pay the tax? I know there are $90 cards, which would be about $3/mo savings right off the top without any taxes and I have seen sites in the past where there are sold at slight discounts. What's the best solution goon-army?

Thanks!

I buy my SraightTalk refills from Walmart.com and use a California shipping address because they don't charge tax in CA. Shipping address doesn't matter because the code is emailed to me.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Well my data for straight talk (AT&T sim) is throttled or shut off today as I couldn't even use safari or email at all. I'm an extremely light data user and am on wifi almost 24/7 so I'm not sure what the reasoning could be. I've got a support email out to them but I have a feeling I'm not going to like the response.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nickutz posted:

Well my data for straight talk (AT&T sim) is throttled or shut off today as I couldn't even use safari or email at all. I'm an extremely light data user and am on wifi almost 24/7 so I'm not sure what the reasoning could be. I've got a support email out to them but I have a feeling I'm not going to like the response.

Try calling them and ask, some have said if you apologize, they'll just restart it and you'll get your data back.

Also, what do you call "light" data? The limit is 1.5 - 2GB/mo and 100MB/day, whichever comes first.

Edit: This post has gotten me curious about what's going on with ST and AT&T. Apparently people are starting to sue ST for bait and switch. Their argument is that they advertise not only unlimited data BUT the same data you get on AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint. However, with throttling, this makes your data "limited" via the throttle, making it completely unusable.

Edit 2: Actually, it appears if you contact them on Facebook, they'll respond even faster and might fix the issue.

Edit 3: Jesus...there's more than I thought. America Movil, the company that owns TracFone (and thus Straight Talk, Net10, and other TracFone based MVNOs) is currently being investigated by the Mexican government due to the huge monopoly they have in Mexico.

The shares of the company has started to fall and the company is actually starting to buy back shares.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-04/america-movil-2010-dominance-ruling-upheld-by-antitrust-agency.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/15/us-americamovil-shares-reform-idUSBRE92E0Z720130315

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/10/us-mexico-slim-americamovil-idUSBRE9391AT20130410

America Movil (and ST by default) is in some major trouble, it seems.

There's rumors that ST wants users who use AT&T ST to go to T-Mobile ST as T-Mobile isn't as restrictive as AT&T it.

There are rumors that it's AT&T controlling the throttling and ST no longer has control. That AT&T is doing this simply because they don't want anyone on prepaid anymore.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 16, 2013

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
If I used even close to 100MB per day or 2GB I sure would like to know how. Like I said I'm on wifi all day and if I don't have wifi I basically won't use data. AT&T trained me well while I was on the 300MB data bucket for so long.

I would be fine switching to a T-mobile sim but I've paid up my service to early august and I didn't think they would transfer that service to a new sim.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nickutz posted:

If I used even close to 100MB per day or 2GB I sure would like to know how. Like I said I'm on wifi all day and if I don't have wifi I basically won't use data. AT&T trained me well while I was on the 300MB data bucket for so long.

I would be fine switching to a T-mobile sim but I've paid up my service to early august and I didn't think they would transfer that service to a new sim.

You should get in contact with them on FB and let them know what's going on. It sounds like they're trying to get rid of you simply because you have an AT&T sim card.

Honestly, the whole thing with ST and AT&T is such a mess that I would suggest removing it from the OP. If not removed from the OP, I'd suggest a blurb about what's going on with their AT&T side.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SB35 posted:

I buy my SraightTalk refills from Walmart.com and use a California shipping address because they don't charge tax in CA. Shipping address doesn't matter because the code is emailed to me.

I may do that, thanks! Looks like Callingmart does the same thing for $89 also.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Someone has apparently started a petition on the White House website for Straight Talk to be punished for their crimes.

Oh boy. :v: Unfortunately, I can't find the petition...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Man, all this recent ST on AT&T crap has made me seriously consider going back to a regular carrier. It'd probably be AT&T, since I'd have a little more freedom with the phone I use. I'd like T-Mobile's pre-paid service, but, well...here's their coverage map where I live:

So...yeah, that's happening.

It's just going to such going from ~$50/month to almost $100.

Edit: Oh, well I just found out there isn't any AT&T LTE here, so that sucks. Verizon's the only one with LTE, but obviously the problem there is they have the most locked-down phones.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 17, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-straight-talk-cutting-data-services-there-unlimited-plan-excessive-usage/NcNqJ1xw

Found the petition.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The one signature on there is you, isn't it?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I wonder if straight talk can be sued for false advertising.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I spoke to someone from t mobile and he gave me the impression that the $30 100min 5GB plan was limited at 2g speeds. Is this inline with what you guys have experienced?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

MSPain posted:

I spoke to someone from t mobile and he gave me the impression that the $30 100min 5GB plan was limited at 2g speeds. Is this inline with what you guys have experienced?

No you get HSPA+ just like a normal plan. The biggest difference between T-Mobile pre-paid and post-paid plans is data roaming because pre-paid has no data roaming at all but post-paid does roam. You can roam for voice and SMS on a pre-paid account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

The one signature on there is you, isn't it?

It's not. :v: I mean I COULD sign it, but it'll never get past that first signature anyway as it's a waste of time.

Plus it's worded incorrectly. The title makes it look like they want the White House to stop Straight Talk from doing something that's perfectly legal.

Mister Fister posted:

I wonder if straight talk can be sued for false advertising.

Someone on Howard Forums is claiming they will be suing them for bait and switch and false advertising. But they seem to be new users so probably not.

• Locked thread