Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Been listening to the stream and imo Be Free, A Way is the best track on the album, although there aren't really any standouts, kinda sounds like one big computerized blob. The very limited amount of drums kinda sucks, but I can respect the direction they (Steven) took. I'll have to listen to it some more and see if it grows on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Here's a webcast recording of most of the Lollapalooza show from a few weeks ago. I really like these new live arrangements of 'The Terror', 'You Lust', 'Try To Explain', and 'The W.A.N.D.', and they sound great playing as a completely ~live~ band again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SvU9n13R7Q

They also played 'Are You A Hypnotist??', 'One More Robot', and 'All We Have Is Now', but those didn't get broadcast, unfortunately.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

If you want a laugh, here's a hilariously bad review of the record by Jim DeRogatis (the hack who wrote the official Lips biography, which was full of errors):

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/jim-derogatis/2013-04/flaming-lips-drop-depressing-and-dismal-dud-106616

Apparently the Lips are such commercial whores that putting out one of the most uncommercial albums of their career is an example of them selling out.

Holy poo poo that is loving terrible.

Also, he talked poo poo about Monster. gently caress that, it's one of REM's best albums. :colbert:

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
So basically he just hates it when any band does anything that's a bit outside of their usual realm because that's somehow "being commercial whores." Am I getting that right?

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
The only thing commercial about The Terror is the bonus song "Sun Blows Up Today" which was literally in a commercial. Except that part way into the song it breaks down into squelchy synth noises, so I guess that's not even a good example.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
e: nm

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Fake live video for 'Try To Explain': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgCg-lsAqhE

Also, 'Do You Realize??' is no longer the State Rock Song of Oklahoma because their Republican governor sucks.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Surfingelectrode posted:

Also, 'Do You Realize??' is no longer the State Rock Song of Oklahoma because their Republican governor sucks.

Mary Fallin's such a piece of poo poo for so many reasons. A private prison corporation called Corrections Corporation of America, which operates several prisons in Oklahoma, donated a bunch of money to her election campaign, and when she got into office she signed a contract with CCA ensuring a 90% occupancy rate in their prisons. This has led to more and longer prison sentences being passed down for offenses which previously might have resulted in a suspended or deferred sentence. The prisons themselves are also a nightmare: understaffed and underfunded compounds of violence and disease. It's awful. She's awful.

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~

Surfingelectrode posted:

If you want a laugh, here's a hilariously bad review of the record by Jim DeRogatis (the hack who wrote the official Lips biography, which was full of errors):

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/jim-derogatis/2013-04/flaming-lips-drop-depressing-and-dismal-dud-106616

Apparently the Lips are such commercial whores that putting out one of the most uncommercial albums of their career is an example of them selling out.

I'm no DeRogatis fan -- the guy is practically an obese walking stereotype of entitled music critic -- but what were the factual problems with Staring at Sound?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I'm no DeRogatis fan -- the guy is practically an obese walking stereotype of entitled music critic -- but what were the factual problems with Staring at Sound?

There were a bunch that he corrected on his website, but Kliph has said that he was misquoted in the book and had problems with how DeRogatis tried to insert himself into the story so much. The two of them got into a big fight about it on the old Lips board back when the book came out.

Just for the hell of it, here's what the two versions of the vinyl release look like:

US:

UK:

I bought both because I'm a hopeless collector loser, but I'm really looking forward to getting my copy of the UK release. It looks so much cooler than the American one.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 15, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

I bought both because I'm a hopeless collector loser,

Me too. :fella: :hf: :human being:

Though I actually prefer the US version. They're both absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to listen to it on vinyl (and I'm normally The Guy who says "SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT THE PURITY OF VINYL").

I feel like the US cover is a more or less perfect visualization of what it sounds like.

e: in that it looks like someone on a beach while an atom bomb goes off and destroys the world

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I finally bought and listened to the new album today and am in love with it. I have to say on first listen my favorite tracks were Butterfly, Turning Violent, and Always There in Our Hearts. The whole thing is gorgeous though. Will have to give it some time but this ranks up there with my favorite Lips albums.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's a random new split single of an OKC band called Horse Thief covering 'Try To Explain' and the Lips covering a Horse Thief Song:

https://soundcloud.com/theflaminglips/sets/flaming-thief-horse-lips

Also, go out and buy "The Terror" today if you haven't already.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's a random new split single of an OKC band called Horse Thief covering 'Try To Explain' and the Lips covering a Horse Thief Song:

Also, go out and buy "The Terror" today if you haven't already.

I ordered it from the UK, so now I have to wait.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Surfingelectrode posted:

Pretty cool that they posted this online. Not crazy about the Lips' cover of their song, but oh well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

I ordered it from the UK, so now I have to wait.

You could just listen to it on Spotify. That's how I'm passing the time until my vinyls get here.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

precision posted:

You could just listen to it on Spotify. That's how I'm passing the time until my vinyls get here.

I think it's still streaming on NPR too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

NEVER!

I'm not listening to it until I can listen to the LP.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

NEVER!

I'm not listening to it until I can listen to the LP.

To be honest, digital and CD are probably the best ways to listen to this album, since all of the tracks were made to flow into each other and the first two sides of the vinyl release end really suddenly. It's not like side a/b of "Embryonic" where the tracks were edited to make them sound right split up over two sides.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

To be honest, digital and CD are probably the best ways to listen to this album, since all of the tracks were made to flow into each other and the first two sides of the vinyl release end really suddenly. It's not like side a/b of "Embryonic" where the tracks were edited to make them sound right split up over two sides.

Has anyone gotten their UK version yet? I was too broke for RSD, so The Terror is my silver lining. I haven't heard any of the songs, with the exception of the 7"

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I got my UK version a week before the US release.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

I got my UK version a week before the US release.

I'm still waiting. This is some bullshit.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm still waiting. This is some bullshit.

Preach! I hope it isn't lost in the mail :ohdear:

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
According to Rise, all of the USA preorders were shipped on Monday the 15th. If you don't receive them by the end of this week, contact Rise.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MajorB posted:

According to Rise, all of the USA preorders were shipped on Monday the 15th. If you don't receive them by the end of this week, contact Rise.

To be fair I placed my order on Sunday the 14th.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I'm terrible and ordered the UK version from Rise and Amazon. Amazon sent theirs a day or two before Rise did, and that showed up today. So, if you guys ordered from the UK and are worried about your records, they should be coming within the next few days.

It's a really nice package, and way better than the lovely American release.

Also, here's the latest fake live video for Look...The Sun Is Rising.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I did get my Rise UK vinyl order of The Terror the other day. It is a nice heavy-duty package and the shiny cover is pretty sweet. It took me several minutes to find and dig out the CD version that was advertised as being included. I had hopes that the Side D megamix (whatever it's called) would be better, but oh well - the rest of the album is holding up well.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's the very :nws: music video for You Lust: http://www.vice.com/read/the-flaming-lips-you-lust-video

It's certainly better than a lot of the music videos they put out last year, which had just as much nudity, but nothing else. The interview with Steven about the video in that article is pretty funny.

Here's the setlist that the Lips have been playing since the tour started last weekend:

Look...The Sun Is Rising
The Terror
The W.A.N.D.
Virgo Self-Esteem Broadcast
Silver Trembling Hands
Try to Explain
You Lust
One More Robot
Sympathy 3000-21
Are You a Hypnotist??
"Heroes"
Butterfly, How Long It Takes to Die
Turning Violent
Always There... In Our Hearts

Do You Realize??
All We Have Is Now

I think that's a really good mix of stuff. Here's to hoping they come down to Florida sometime soon.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I'm so glad Are You a Hypnotist is in the setlist! The Terror-ified version works very well in the new show.

You Lust video is fuckin weird. That interview with Steven is hilarious though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wonder if they're afraid they'd get lynched if they didn't play Realize.

[edit] "full bush is coming back" lol.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 3, 2013

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Anyone have info on the 30th anniversary BBC thing they're doing? This picture has the beginnings of a great setlist. When is this happening?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Anyone have info on the 30th anniversary BBC thing they're doing? This picture has the beginnings of a great setlist. When is this happening?

I can't answer your question, but holy poo poo I'm already sold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

leica posted:

I wonder if they're afraid they'd get lynched if they didn't play Realize.

It's not like they haven't been through that before. For like 10 years they insisted on playing "She Don't Use Jelly" at every show, just because Wayne was obsessed with proving it wasn't a gimmick song but was actually some kind of pop masterpiece or whatever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Why the gently caress isn't this always what the setlist look like?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

So, uh, here's a clip of them rehearsing Moth in the Incubator.

The BBC thing is going to be live on May 23 and should be streaming online. Here's some more info.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm assuming if they are going to cover most of their albums, and it's only an hour long set, we'll get Moths in the Incubator and probably She Don't Use Jelly as the only representatives from Transmissions, right? Because hearing Slow Nerve Action live would be pretty cool honestly.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

They Punctured My Yolk always gets me so bad. It's so sad and so very much whimsical, I love it dearly. I think its one of the best songs they've ever done.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Guys I just want you to know that I saw the Lips open for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Brooklyn last Friday and they played Riding to Work in the Year 2025 (Your Invisible Now). I didn't recognize the song as they played it as I've only listened to Zaireeka a couple of times but I'm super surprised they played it.

Show was alright overall. It was outside during the day so no light/laser show and the new stage setup doesn't let Wayne really move around or get energetic. I'm really loving the Bowie cover they've been doing, it was probably the highlight of the set for me. They made some weird choices like playing most of Race for the Prize at a slower tempo and it didn't really help the lack of energy in the crowd. Here's the full setlist from that night.

The Flaming Lips GoogaMooga setlist
Look...The Sun Is Rising
The Terror
The W.A.N.D.
Virgo Self-Esteem Broadcast
Silver Trembling Hands
Try to Explain
Race for the Prize
You Lust
One More Robot
Sympathy 3000-21
Heroes (David Bowie cover)
Riding to Work in the Year 2025 (Your Invisible Now)
Turning Violent
All We Have Is Now
Always There, In Our Hearts
Encore:
Do You Realize??

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
"Do You Realize??" will be played at Wayne's funeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I have never been to a Lips show so I can't really say, but "Race for the Prize" and "You Lust" don't really seem like they'd segue with each other that well.

• Locked thread