Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Seconding the piss look.

quote:

OSS 1st Lieutenant George Musulin behind enemy lines in German-occupied Serbia, as Chetnik, during his first mission on November 1943. His second mission was Halyard

Height and weight standards be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
From the photos of Rhodesia I've see those shorts don't look nearly short enough.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

That was shortly after we got done running through waist deep water, but yeah we gave him poo poo for a solid hour about the piss look.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Grillin' Syrian style
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/RAUYLvl.jpg:nws:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I had a strong suspicion of what this was before I clicked on it...and I was correct. :nms:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Whoa, is that confirmed as real? Looks photoshopish...but going off other vids/pics coming out of Syria, I wouldn't be surprised if it's legit.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Whoa, is that confirmed as real? Looks photoshopish...but going off other vids/pics coming out of Syria, I wouldn't be surprised if it's legit.

Looks real to me. Probably a suicide bomber.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Looks like someone's going to have to face the facts about his side losing

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
He gives the camera a lot of face time.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That's interesting...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The locals hate it when Westerners joke about the rebellion since they have so much skin in the game

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Anyone think the rebels might lose face over these sorts of pictures?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
That's no way to become the head of a major corporation.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Vas's really gonna rake us over the coals when he finds these posts

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's a shame he'll never become the head of a major corporation.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I hate all of you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Don't get too hot under the collar, Vas.

Fallom posted:

It's a shame he'll never become the head of a major corporation.

Seriously? You'll never get ahead in this forum if you rejoke 2 posts later.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Too bad, he'll never be the head of a major corporation.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I doubt he will top a large company.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The board won't pick him to be the apex of their enterprise.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Thump! posted:

The uniform he's wearing is the Rhodesian pattern. Definitely Rhodesian Army. I have a buddy who does a lot of different reenacting who put together the whole kit. I don't know too terribly much about the guys, but according to him they were probably one of the best Counter-Insurgency forces ever formed. Not that I know it's true, but it seems plausible.

I hafta admit, I can't think of a more comfy looking combat uniform.

The RLI were pretty terrible at all aspects of counter-insurgency except the killing 'bad guys' part.

Also, the whole idea of reenacting the Bush War is pretty loving weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQMrD53Jofc

one1two2three3
Mar 22, 2013

Fallom posted:

Too bad, he'll never be the head of a major corporation.

I think Facebook would hire him.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Those Rhodesian fellas are Selous Scouts, and they were very very successful in eliminating their foes. After the fall of Rhodesia, many of the white members said "gently caress this" and went to South Africa.

Also, after reading about their training... gently caress that.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

I guess that makes sense. I can't think of anyone that is good at defeating guerrillas in the last 50 years or so.

A little known one is the British counter-insurgency campaign waged in Malaya after World war 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayan_Emergency

Actually did pretty well, and has been studied as how to counter...insurgency?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ruse posted:

Those Rhodesian fellas are Selous Scouts, and they were very very successful in eliminating their foes. After the fall of Rhodesia, many of the white members said "gently caress this" and went to South Africa.

Also, after reading about their training... gently caress that.
Well, until South Africa effectively outlawed mercenaries.

Reenacting the Rhodesian military seems incredibly bizarre.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Celestine posted:

A little known one is the British counter-insurgency campaign waged in Malaya after World war 2.

Yeah, I was going to mention it, but I thought the 50 year limit was an attempt to exclude it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Saint Celestine posted:

The British basically had every possible thing in their favor, though...easily isolated geographical area, a populace that was largely supportive of the government from the beginning, a government that was capable/competent/effective from the beginning (which meant that they only had to make minor concessions to placate the majority of the rest of the population that didn't support them from the beginning), a colonial government that was very supportive of transitioning to self-rule, and an insurgency that was almost completely based in an ethnic minority (and as such was much easier to isolate from the population). Also it didn't hurt that the MCP/MNLA were one of the most incompetent insurgencies in the history of insurgency.

That isn't to say that the Commonwealth forces didn't do a lot of things right, because they did, but basically the Emergency was like playing COIN with every cheat code activated.

vains
May 26, 2004

Saint Celestine posted:

The Malayan Emergency is unique and the lessons learned not really applicable for a variety of reasons. The core of the insurgency were ethnic Chinese communists. The MNLA were driven from the populated areas and were forced to operate in the irrelevant hinterlands. Unlike in Rhodesia/Vietnam/Afghanistan, the MNLA had no cross border refuge, received little external support and did not possess the support of the people.

"Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife" is a good primer on the topic but it would be worthwhile to read some critiques to understand the limitations of applying Malaysia to other conflict.

edit: gently caress beaten by iyaayas

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Veins McGee posted:

The RLI were pretty terrible at all aspects of counter-insurgency except the killing 'bad guys' part.

Well, that was their job. Other units in the Rhodesian military had other tasks. The RLI and, later, the RAR, were doing fireforces and taking out ZANLA/ZIPRA cadres, while other units were infiltrating the organizations, gathering intelligence, patrolling the border, doing route clearance, etc.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Veins McGee posted:

Everything I've read about it pretty much points to "If it was a competent raid against a valuable target, it was the South Africans. If it was a body count in the middle of nowhere, it was the Rhodies"

vains
May 26, 2004

Mortabis posted:

Well, that was their job. Other units in the Rhodesian military had other tasks. The RLI and, later, the RAR, were doing fireforces and taking out ZANLA/ZIPRA cadres, while other units were infiltrating the organizations, gathering intelligence, patrolling the border, doing route clearance, etc.

There is a passage in Mukiwa where Godwin describes a patrol of RLI passing through a village where he was stationed as a police officer. There are passages in Fireforce(Cocks was RLI) where he describes being a party to brutally torturing villagers for information or indiscriminate fire into villages and the like. Same with Croukampf(RLI and Seluous Scout). Those are only the actions that these men would would admit to witnessing or participating in.

The Rhodesian Security Forces, with a few exceptions, lacked the mindset to ever be effective counterinsurgents because they simply didn't think of the black Africans as people the same as them. Sure, Fireforce was effective at killing insurgents but that isn't the whole picture of a counter-insurgency and nor was it the only tasking the RLI received. Its pretty hard to generate intelligence to find the cadres if the Africans* generally have very negative interactions with whites or security forces.

*in this case, black Africans

Booblord Zagats posted:

Everything I've read about it pretty much points to "If it was a competent raid against a valuable target, it was the South Africans. If it was a body count in the middle of nowhere, it was the Rhodies"

I've never read anything that would indicate that. The South African's major manpower contribution were some border police that they withdrew in 76.

vains fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 17, 2013

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Wait the South Aficans were openly supporting Rhodesia? My impression of the war was a small section of legit operating operators who operated, and then a whole slew of farmers drafted roaming about. I thought Rhodesia was on it's own the whole time, although that doesn't really make any sense. SA would have a vested interest in keeping another white african country.

How involved was South Afica? Was Angola's conflict similar to Rhodesia? Blacks getting tired of the poo poo and rising up with a leftist bent? I really gotta go read a book.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I have read that the Rhodesian SAS, which was supposed to be responsible for most external attacks, was not really managed competently, in particular refusing to incorporate black troops, which was one of the major sources of success for other units like the Selous Scouts. By not incorporating blacks it became difficult or impossible to blend with the population.

There were a number of instances where Rhodesian forces took out major encampments of ZANLA. Those were mostly "body count" attacks but in fairness, when the body count is that huge (talking between 1,000 and 10,000) that is a major success in its own right. Rhodesian forces numbered about 20,000 men or so through the conflict I think.

Supposedly after the Chimoio raid, where ZANLA suffered about 8,000 casualties and the Rhodesians suffered 8, Mugabe was actually considering ending the conflict. Or so he (Mugabe) said.

There was another attack later where the Selous Scouts took about 80 guys and bunch of trucks, painted them in FRELIMO livery and wore FRELIMO uniforms, drove them into the middle of a ZANLA camp, and just shot everyone with machine guns, killing something like a thousand people. Yeah, they were pretty good at the killing thing.

South Africa donated more equipment than people. It loaned some old Alouette III helicopters. Also, when a ship carrying T-55 tanks for ZANLA accidentally docked in Durban, the South Africans sent the tanks to the Rhodesians. Remember that the Afrikaner National Party was, well, Afrikaner and the Rhodesians were of British descent primarily. There are multiple white ethnic groups in Southern Africa and historically the Afrikaners and British have had some bad blood. I think South Africa supported Rhodesia more for the fact that it didn't want to have to secure a longer border than for ideological reasons.

Angola's conflict was totally different. It was a civil war in which South Africa got involved because it was trying to secure what was then South-West Africa (now Namibia). Angola was abandoned by Portugal then and fighting was between the communist MPLA and anti-communist UNITA. South Africa supported UNITA, as did we.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
The South Africans were providing Rhodesia with immense amounts of material support, including a trading partner while Rhodesia was under some of the heaviest sanctions in the world and a large proportion of the helicopters and aircrew in use by the RhAF. South Africa supported Rhodesia right up near the end, when they cut off most of their overt support in (IIRC) a bid to get the international community to be less mean to them.

My best friend growing up is an Afrikaner, his parents would always lambast the changes in Rhodesia/South Africa while cooking that really awesome sausage. And my friend's uncle was an SADF Paratrooper who told the most :stare: stories.

For content, have a recording of a Rhodesian pilot basically telling the Zambians they weren't allowed to fly any planes until he was done bombing people in their country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1NRLFso6Q

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
Already been covered pretty well but everything I've heard about Malaya was pretty much it being Vietnam the super easy version.

One of my friends in the army told me about a local diner owner that he knew in his hometown who fought in Rhodesia. Apparently the guy was born and raised in Greece and got bored and wanted to see combat so he went to Rhodesia to be a mercenary and ended up getting enough money to move to the US and start a Greek diner. No too bad of a back story for a restaurant owner I guess.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TsarZiedonis posted:

For content, have a recording of a Rhodesian pilot basically telling the Zambians they weren't allowed to fly any planes until he was done bombing people in their country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1NRLFso6Q
Roger, Cheers....Holy poo poo....

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How the hell did the Selous Scouts cause 68% of enemy casualties?
I can't think of any other SF unit with a bodycount that high.

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!

Frosted Flake posted:

How the hell did the Selous Scouts cause 68% of enemy casualties?
I can't think of any other SF unit with a bodycount that high.

By waxing any blecks that came within sixty miles of their AO, naturally.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Richard Bong posted:

Has anyone actually seen one of these in the wild? I know a lot of disappointed Cav scouts that thought they would ride them because it was in the video the recruiter showed them.

Couple pages back but the company that made these, Hayes Diversified Technologies, supposedly went under a couple years back before they could produce a multifuel civilian version. Which sucks because I wanted one of these for backcountry use because it's crazy awesome; diesel bike that's near silent and goes like 500 miles on a tank at 90mph or something bizarre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

BlueDiablo posted:

By waxing any blecks that came within sixty miles of their AO, naturally.

No.

The Selous Scouts infiltrated ZIPRA/ZANLA cadres and turned their members over to their side. They would blend with the local population to locate the enemy.

• Locked thread