Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5uQMwRMHcs

HO-LY poo poo

Yes, Daft Punk is releasing a new album in one month. Yes, it's got collaborators out the wazoo. Chances it's awesome? High.

It's been eight years since Human After All. Since then, so much has changed in electronic music. The DJ has reached its highest point of public visibility since the salad days of big beat in 1997. Thomas and Guy-Manuel have watched and worked on a new sound that they suggest will challenge the current dance music paradigm. Minimal electronic devices. Sparc use of drum machine. Only one track with a sample. Sure, it's a risk, but what would Daft Punk be if they weren't risk-takers?

Rumors are circulating that Get Lucky will drop this Friday (April 19), but what IS know is when and where the album will be played for the first time: Wee Waa, New South Wales, Australia on May 17th. Anything 'leaked' beforehand is 99.9% likely to be fake. NEVER MIND THAT poo poo, IT'S OUT NOW

RANDOM ACCESS MEMORIES

To be released around the third weekend in May (actual date depends on when music is traditionally released on locally)

Tracklist
Give Life Back to Music
The Game of Love
Giorgio by Moroder
Within
Instant Crush
Lose Yourself to Dance
Touch
Get Lucky
Beyond
Motherboard
Fragments of Time
Doin' It Right
Contact

The Collaborators
Giorgio Moroder
Todd Edwards
Nile Rodgers
Pharrell Williams
Panda Bear
Chilly Gonzales
DJ Falcon
Paul Williams
Julian Casablancas

Tour
Doesn't look like it. Keep your fingers crossed, though.

Classic Daft Punk
Da Funk
Around the World
Burnin'
Revolution 909
Fresh
One More Time
Aerodynamic
Digital Love
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Something About Us
Face to Face
Robot Rock
Technologic
Prime Time of Your Life <- :nms:
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Alive 2007)
Derezzed

http://www.randomaccessmemories.com/

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Pharrell is over 40 years old.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CaptainYesterday posted:

It's been eight years since Human After All. Since then, so much has changed in electronic music. The DJ has reached its highest point of public visibility since the salad days of big beat in 1997. Thomas and Guy-Manuel have watched and worked on a new sound that they suggest will challenge the current dance music paradigm. Minimal electronic devices. Sparc use of drum machine. Only one track with a sample. Sure, it's a risk, but what would Daft Punk be if they weren't risk-takers?

So it's going to be a disco album. I hope the world doesn't collapse due to such earth shattering concepts.

I am really looking forward to this album but the hype and fanservice Daft Punk gets is just ridiculous.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

NESguerilla posted:

I am really looking forward to this album but the hype and fanservice Daft Punk gets is just ridiculous.

Seriously. I'm looking forward to the album, but part of me is already bracing for the fact that it's impossible for it to live up to all the insane hype. They're genuinely good at what they do, but why this almost religious fervor people get when talking about them?

e. I'm mad about music not existing in a vacuum devoid of human opinions.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 17, 2013

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Bring it on.

I've got a whole bunch of friends going to the Wee Waa... thing, whatever it is, so I should have a bunch of pics and first-hand info to share afterwards!

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Wow. for six or so years I followed the last thread. Can't wait for the new album to drop. God I hope they're doing at least some tour dates for it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Does anyone know why Wee Waa was chosen? It seems like a joke. One I find funny, but is there a history for them and this location that I don't know?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

They're viewed highly mostly because of their alive 2007 set. It was a very unique performance that delivered in spades. Most of those that attended were blown away to bits (myself included). The encore especially (i knew the set because i had the coachella version on my ipod but i had no idea they were doing an encore, and i did not expect their suits to glow red, it was absolutely epic) They were always somewhat popular (especially after discovery) but I feel like alive 2007 era made them into dance gods.

After that performance people have been flocking to them and monitoring what they're doing next.

That's my take anyway.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

echronorian posted:

Does anyone know why Wee Waa was chosen? It seems like a joke. One I find funny, but is there a history for them and this location that I don't know?

Probably the dissonance between french robots and a small rural Australian town appealed to them, or at least someone at Sony. Plus, just say the name Wee Waa. Weeeeeeeeee waaaaaaaaa. It's pretty funny.

Miley Virus fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 17, 2013

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Orbi posted:

Probably just the dissonance between french robots and a small rural Australian town appealed to them, or at least someone at Sony. Plus, just say the name Wee Waa. Weeeeeeeeee waaaaaaaaa. It's pretty funny.

There's also the CSIRO Radio Telescope Array, which is probably the aesthetic thing they were going for.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

What the gently caress, man.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

This would probably be lost on the last page of the previous thread, so i'm gonna repost it for anyone that missed it:

I posted:

If anyone's looking for something in the vein of DP to listen to while waiting for RAM to drop, the Nitronic Rush soundtrack is free and sounds like the missing link between Discovery, Human After All and Tron Legacy.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
I wonder why people are so confused about the hype for this really. Why are people so hyped and why is the hype out of control in some crowds? Because Daft Punk is one of the one of the greatest house acts of all time? Because Discovery is all that was magical about a pre-9/11 world? Because Alive 2007 was a existential event for anyone who went to see it?

Because its been 8 years since their last real album? I don't think most of us even care if the album is AMAZING in every way. We just want to hear the guys making their own music again, we want to see the robots do their thing, see if maybe they have come up with an answer to the question "Are they human after all?". The album doesn't need to redefine music or whatever, it just needs to be the artists we love having a good time and doing what they love. They have paid their musical dues. Just go back and listen to Discovery right now all the way through on your best headphones, come back to this thread, and say you don't get the hype.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I was only really "aware" of this album in the past, but now I am really quite excited for it. I haven't listened to Daft Punk in a while, so I think it's time to start up the hype machine!

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

incoherent posted:

Pharrell is over 40 years old.

So are the guys in Daft Punk

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Slackerish posted:

So are the guys in Daft Punk

Yeah, Thomas and Guy look like they still have that new car smell.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Advice posted:

What the gently caress, man.

holy poo poo..what the gently caress is that video?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Count me in the fanatics who are hyped for a new Daft Punk album. I've listened to them since I was a kid when Interstella 5555 was being promoted on Toonami and I've still thought as one of my favorite music groups because they have such a unique sound to them and from Get Lucky looks like they're still hitting all cylinders. A month is too long, but I can wait for everyone's favorite French Robots.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Photex posted:

It's The Prime Time Of Your Life.

What, you never had a day like that?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

The Walking Dad posted:

I wonder why people are so confused about the hype for this really.

Because hyperbole is gross by definition. The OP asks "Sure, it's a risk, but what would Daft Punk be if they weren't risk-takers?" as if Daft Punk haven't made two totally safe middle-of-the-road albums by this point.

Can someone explain why "Giorgio by Moroder" is a funny track title? I don't get it. It's some sort of pun, right?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 17, 2013

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992
Can we please not post any "remixes" of the unreleased songs in here? I really don't see the point of listening to someones bootleg.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Popcorn posted:

Can someone explain why "Giorgio by Moroder" is a funny track title? I don't get it. It's some sort of pun, right?

The guest featured on the song is Giorgio Moroder. It's like if they had Kanye West rap on a track and then proceeded to name the track Kanye By Kanye West.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The guest featured on the song is Giorgio Moroder. It's like if they had Kanye West rap on a track and then proceeded to name the track Kanye By Kanye West.

It might also be a play on Giorgio by Giorgio.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Oh right. I know Giorgio Moroder, but the syntax made it seem like it was some sort of twisted wordplay, like... Death by... Murder... or... North by Northwest or... something. You know, something like that.

I'm extremely interested to hear what Daft Punk have done with live instrumentation. Although, interestingly, of everything we've heard of Get Lucky, the stereotypically Daft Punk vocoder bit is by far the catchiest.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Popcorn posted:

Because hyperbole is gross by definition. The OP asks "Sure, it's a risk, but what would Daft Punk be if they weren't risk-takers?" as if Daft Punk haven't made two totally safe middle-of-the-road albums by this point.

Discovery wasn't 'safe'. If it was safe, it would've sounded like Homework and be more Chicago-style House music.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I'm including the Tron soundtrack as an album. If you'd rather I didn't, pretend I said "releases" instead.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Human After All was the opposite of a safe album, you gotta be high to think it was the obvious choice.

Photex posted:

The last time Daft Punk will risk alienating their audience with high concept.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

the black husserl posted:

Human After All was the opposite of a safe album, you gotta be high to think it was the obvious choice.

You're right actually. Tron's safe, HAA is a bunch of chafing loops and weird half-baked messes, which wasn't challenging exactly but hardly a safe bet either. it's just that it wasn't very good. I'm definitely on board with the "Alive 07 made sense of that album" team though.

Tron, though, really was completely boring. I object to the (self-)mythologising of Daft Punk as shining beacons of daring and originality or whatever. Obviously I haven't heard this album yet and I'm not making any judgements about it, but on paper recreating 70s disco without actually sampling and manipulating it (ala Discovery) seems a more regressive than progressive philosophy. Very, very interested to hear how it works, and just how absent the electronica actually is.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 17, 2013

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
So either someone has a perfect Pharrell impersonation, came up with lyrics that perfectly go along with the song and added new song elements on top of that or... this is a radio edit leak of Get Lucky. http://pmd.sonic1029.com/audio/downloads/rick_lee/daftpunk_getlucky.mp3

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

JSnake posted:

So either someone has a perfect Pharrell impersonation, came up with lyrics that perfectly go along with the song and added new song elements on top of that or... this is a radio edit leak of Get Lucky. http://pmd.sonic1029.com/audio/downloads/rick_lee/daftpunk_getlucky.mp3

Seems real enough, if a little half baked. Is it just me or is Pharell mixed really terrible during the verse? Maybe he's just not a good singer, but the chorus sounds nice.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

That's gotta be real

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This is posted with the clip on that radio stations website: "This is not the official, final version of the song, but we heard it, and it sounds pretty drat close."

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

e: ^^^^ ah, so it sounds like this is an early mix.

it's real. The bridge where it's just the vocal with handclaps - for that to be fake, they would have had to somehow isolate the vocal from the clip we already have, without all the other stuff, w hich the faker could only do if they had access to the isolated stems of the real track which they can't.

It's a fun, cool track, but yes the verses are surprisingly badly mixed, and the whole thing doesn't really go anywhere...

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Foiltha posted:

It might also be a play on Giorgio by Giorgio.

I thought it was a play on Giorgio Armani's cologne "Giorgio by Armani".

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

JSnake posted:

That is so fake it hurts. You think they would have vocals with that much of a pop with it and background noise?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Tron, though, really was completely boring. I object to the (self-)mythologising of Daft Punk as shining beacons of daring and originality or whatever. Obviously I haven't heard this album yet and I'm not making any judgements about it, but on paper recreating 70s disco without actually sampling and manipulating it (ala Discovery) seems a more regressive than progressive philosophy. Very, very interested to hear how it works, and just how absent the electronica actually is.

It's a movie soundtrack not an album. Two completely different things.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

JSnake posted:

Man, I hope that's not the final version if it is real. It's good, but it's definitely not perfect single / perfect summer song quality like I thought Get Lucky would be.

That loop barely changes at all, so it's gotta be a demo if it's even real, right?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Popcorn posted:

It's a fun, cool track, but yes the verses are surprisingly badly mixed, and the whole thing doesn't really go anywhere...

I swear to god I said this verbatim about "robot rock" 8 years ago.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah that version has the instruments mixed way down and a weird lack of bass sound. It could partially be my crappy apple earbuds but the bass seems almost completely absent for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

"It doesn't go anywhere".. haha, you should listen to Homework and Human After All. You'd probably lose interest in Daft Punk really fast, at least this song has verses and a chorus. :-p

• Locked thread