Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Verdugo posted:

The other two, Shadowrun and Rainfall the Soujourn, I'm marking off as a harshly learned life lesson at this point, and I'll be surprised if playable games come out of either. It's written me off of kickstarter at this point.

You must not be following the Shadowrun dev much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Verdugo posted:

The other two, Shadowrun and Rainfall the Soujourn, I'm marking off as a harshly learned life lesson at this point, and I'll be surprised if playable games come out of either. It's written me off of kickstarter at this point.

What, seriously? I can understand Rainfall, since they've shown all of nothing of an actual game, not even a single screenshot, but Shadowrun? They showed off a lengthy gameplay video with most of the features in working order, and the release date is approximately two months from now...

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Verdugo posted:

I've backed four, and I'm 2 for 4. Only one was remotely on time, the other came almost nine months late and I had to fight tooth and nail to get my rewards.

Which two did you back that failed? I've backed like 20 so far and only two have delivered but all the rest seem to be on track, more or less. I don't really care much if they miss their release date since Kickstarter projections are usually made before they know how much money they'll get and they're also often done by relatively inexperienced devs.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

What, seriously? I can understand Rainfall, since they've shown all of nothing of an actual game, not even a single screenshot, but Shadowrun? They showed off a lengthy gameplay video with most of the features in working order, and the release date is approximately two months from now...
People seem to be amazingly bitter about the lack of loot - which Shadowrun was never about - checkpoint only design - which I'll admit pissed me off in Bioshock Infinite, but save games are harder than people think (QA wise) - and the Steamworks DRM. It's a grognard thing - "oh, this isn't exactly the same as what I wanted you to make!"

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Verdugo posted:

The rainfall programmer has a twitter where he periodically posts engine screenshots, here. He is actively working on it, but it's slow progress.

Orzo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 17, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Verdugo posted:

I've backed four, and I'm 2 for 4. Only one was remotely on time, the other came almost nine months late and I had to fight tooth and nail to get my rewards.

What on earth makes you wonder about the lack of playability or failure in general of Shadowrun?

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Verdugo posted:

isn't shadowrun coming out in june?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Juc66 posted:

isn't shadowrun coming out in june?

According to their update from about a week ago, yes.

Regarding the Shadowrun/DRM thing, have any of the bigger Kickstarters just flat out said "This is gonna be on Steam and nowhere else"? I see a lot of people frothing at the mouth about the evils of Steam in various project comments, but I can't imagine it'd actually keep a solid project down.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Did you do something to opt into that? I searched for Tale of Game's in Thunderbird and only got the KS backer emails from when I backed and then when it cleared, and going through the pages of poo poo in the spam folder of the gmail account I use with KS, I don't see anything at all in the last 30 days from them.

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah TOG's been sending monthly updates for people that backed $40 or more.

That would be it then, didn't realize the e-mail updates were for high rollers only.

Suffice to say they seem to have everything in order, their latest update was mainly a breakdown of how how the Kickstarter funds were being allocated to various parts of the project, plus some previews of a couple new sprites.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Verdugo posted:

Shadowrun is on track, I dunno what you're expecting out of Rainfall, it's still pretty early in the dev cycle.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I guess I'm doing alright. I've backed 37 projects, of which 8 did not fund, 6 reached me on schedule, 1 reached me behind schedule, 2 are still in the funding stage, and the remaining 20 are either developing on schedule or have the appearance of doing so. None of the digital game projects I've backed have reached the release point though, the things I've received have been traditional games, design projects and music.

Games I'm waiting on are Planetary Annihilation, Project Eternity, Maia, Sui Generis, Star Citizen, Forsaken Fortress, Barkley 2, 90s Arcade Racer, Dreamfall Chapters, Unwritten: That Which Happened, Back to Bed, Torment and Divinity. Pretty similar to most of the lists already posted.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ookiimarukochan posted:

People seem to be amazingly bitter about the lack of loot - which Shadowrun was never about - checkpoint only design - which I'll admit pissed me off in Bioshock Infinite, but save games are harder than people think (QA wise) - and the Steamworks DRM. It's a grognard thing - "oh, this isn't exactly the same as what I wanted you to make!"

It's just weird to me, that people can hate on a game for some of these minor things. DRM isn't minor, but checkpoints and looting really is.

But I think most people can at least understand the looting (besides, it can be scripted in), checkpoints I can kinda see the annoyance of, but really it's a design choice and you just kinda have to bite the bullet on that one.

As for DRM, it hasn't been stated to use Steamworks DRM, just using normal Steam. Which uses a DRM equivalent of a CD-key check.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

InShaneee posted:

Regarding the Shadowrun/DRM thing, have any of the bigger Kickstarters just flat out said "This is gonna be on Steam and nowhere else"? I see a lot of people frothing at the mouth about the evils of Steam in various project comments, but I can't imagine it'd actually keep a solid project down.

New Kickstarters can't really say they'll be on Steam only because Valve could tell them no or they could never make it through greenlight or whatever.

The Shadowrun thing is stupid because it's basically a vocal minority of lunatics demanding the devs eschew an already existing content delivery platform that offers free drm, free bandwidth for patches and a free modding system in favour of building and maintaining their own version of this system that already exists.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

InShaneee posted:

I think most projects just don't see any downside to not offering a DRM-free version, through GOG or otherwise. A Steam version of a game is cracked just slightly slower, if slower at all, than a DRM-free version of a game if that is a concern for the developer. I think it was CD Projekt that said even though they sold The Witcher 2 through GOG, with no DRM of course, a quick look at the torrents out there showed that the vast majority of people still downloaded a cracked Steam version of the game (Steam has even taken over the pirates :tinfoil: ). Shadowrun is just a special case since they aren't using their own original property but a license, and that license requires DRM.

There's also the fact that Steam and Steamworks offers ridiculously good benefits to small developers; basically everything that Steamworks offers is free. Consolidate everything into Steamworks and you never have to worry about distributing different patch versions or game version. The online brochure for Steamworks isn't specific, but I wouldn't be surprised if even multiplayer and Steam forums are free for the developer as well.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

InShaneee posted:

Thing is that unless you're already established with Steam getting onto Steam is a crapshoot. Indie developers have pretty much zero chance of getting a slot on Steam during their kickstarter phase. Offering a Steam only release is pretty much impossible and I'd honestly avoid any kickstarter that wasn't someone like Obsidian that made such promises because I'd know they were putting the cart before the horse already.

So it really makes sense to say 'DRM-Free looking into a Steam release' that way you get the anti-DRM people and the people that actually prefer the Steam platform.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

There's also the fact that Steam and Steamworks offers ridiculously good benefits to small developers; basically everything that Steamworks offers is free. Consolidate everything into Steamworks and you never have to worry about distributing different patch versions or game version. The online brochure for Steamworks isn't specific, but I wouldn't be surprised if even multiplayer and Steam forums are free for the developer as well.

Multiplayer and Steam Community features are both mentioned here as being free.

The fact that Valve just give away their Steamworks package is pretty mind boggling. I wonder if they'll extend their current group of titles that can skip greenlight to include some of the more popular Kickstarter projects in the same way they do for IGF finalists.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Verdugo posted:

Why Shadowrun? Because of the dumb DRM (read: Steam) thing?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Big Mad Drongo posted:

That would be it then, didn't realize the e-mail updates were for high rollers only.

Suffice to say they seem to have everything in order, their latest update was mainly a breakdown of how how the Kickstarter funds were being allocated to various parts of the project, plus some previews of a couple new sprites.

Yep, that'd be it. I only ever hop in for the minimum price to get the game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Tying update emails to reward tiers has to be one of the dumbest kickstarter things I've heard about.

Not only is it just a good idea to keep the people that pre-ordered your game informed but good word of mouth will cause more excitement at launch anyway. Making people believe no progress is being made because they didn't give you enough money to bother keeping them updated it just flat stupid.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Darkhold posted:

Tying update emails to reward tiers has to be one of the dumbest kickstarter things I've heard about.

Not only is it just a good idea to keep the people that pre-ordered your game informed but good word of mouth will cause more excitement at launch anyway. Making people believe no progress is being made because they didn't give you enough money to bother keeping them updated it just flat stupid.

If it wasn't done like that, you'd end up giving away alpha and beta codes and download links to people who did not pay for the tier to get in that early.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mordaedil posted:

If it wasn't done like that, you'd end up giving away alpha and beta codes and download links to people who did not pay for the tier to get in that early.
Why would this happen? Update email - Goes to everyone. Rewards - Go to people that paid for the rewards.

This can't be that hard to manage or they shouldn't be trying to make a game.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Darkhold posted:

I feel the same exact way about baker only updates, too. If things are going well, you really want everyone to know about it and be as excited as possible, and if they're not you won't be able to keep it a secret.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mordaedil posted:

If the people making a full game, from scratch, can't also manage to make two separate mailing lists - something is gravely amiss.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Shalinor posted:

If the people making a full game, from scratch, can't also manage to make two separate mailing lists - something is gravely amiss.

Wait wait wait, games need more than one database or library to function? I... I may need to re-evaluate my planned $3m project.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been any Banner Saga chat here? I've been kind of following the game on and off. They've implemented level 2 units now.

Honestly the game is too simple. There's only 4 classes, with three upgrade paths, and at best only 2 of the upgrade paths are good. Only two stats that are really pertinent to combat, so I have no idea how they could implement anything like support classes, or even farther expand combat classes. They don't really use terrain at all, which at least has potential to be expanded. The viking theme seems to really pigeon hole what you can do with the game.

It's really not a big deal since I barely play the game. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea in the direction the game is going because right now it's looking like it's going towards a dead end.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Safety Scissors posted:

Has there been any Banner Saga chat here? I've been kind of following the game on and off. They've implemented level 2 units now.

Honestly the game is too simple. There's only 4 classes, with three upgrade paths, and at best only 2 of the upgrade paths are good. Only two stats that are really pertinent to combat, so I have no idea how they could implement anything like support classes, or even farther expand combat classes. They don't really use terrain at all, which at least has potential to be expanded. The viking theme seems to really pigeon hole what you can do with the game.

It's really not a big deal since I barely play the game. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea in the direction the game is going because right now it's looking like it's going towards a dead end.
The multi-player going towards a dead end? Yeah, maybe since it is only about the combat. Most backers don't care about that though, judging by the backlash at how long it took them to switch focus from the multi-player.

The single-player game should be fine, whenever they finish it. The story, caravan management, travel, and general King of Dragon Pass-ness of it should make up for the simplicity of combat.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

I don't understand why this counts against Kickstarter supporting the functionality as a baseline.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Safety Scissors posted:

They were pretty explicit during the Kickstarter that it was going to be a very simple strategy game with little to no terrain involved.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

grrarg posted:

The multi-player going towards a dead end? Yeah, maybe since it is only about the combat. Most backers don't care about that though, judging by the backlash at how long it took them to switch focus from the multi-player.

The single-player game should be fine, whenever they finish it. The story, caravan management, travel, and general King of Dragon Pass-ness of it should make up for the simplicity of combat.

Plus they're saying there'll be more classes than there are in Factions in the single player game. Viking mages and more upgrade routes, as I remember. So even the combat will be 'deeper'.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Death Inc. never reached its goal on Kickstarter which bummed me out.
A few days ago they announced on their website that an alpha version was available for people who would pre-order the game, as they would continue work on the game.
And today, they got greenlit on Steam, which makes me really happy.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
It's kinda weird that people view Steam as DRM. To me it's just a convenient, single place to get/play all my games and such with freinds.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

gently caress This Puzzle posted:

It's kinda weird that people view Steam as DRM. To me it's just a convenient, single place to get/play all my games and such with freinds.

It has other features but it's absolutely DRM. That's even what retailers classify it as.

edit: vv Sure, yeah. But most of the games on there use the DRM.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 17, 2013

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It has other features but it's absolutely DRM. That's even what retailers classify it as.

Except when it isn't, of course. There are plenty of games that don't use Steamworks DRM and can be run without Steam and moved to whatever folder you like. Those are just content-delivered by Steam.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
For those who backed Sealark, she just posted a very nice update (on tumblr) on the custom engine she wrote for the game. Fun stuff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Update from Larian on Divinity: Original Sin:

quote:

The following message was sent to Swen, and unfortunately, it will not be implemented as a surprise, it will just be implemented.

"Sorry for two PM's in one day, this idea I want hidden and made as a surprise if you like it enough to implement.

(...) fire can burn the skin off a zombie and they become a skeleton. When they became a skeleton, their traits and attack methods changed to that of a skeleton. Their HP remained where it was from the initial attack of the fire or previous attacks. The fire would simply burn off their skin over a few attack rounds (...)

Since so much detail has gone into this, that would be interesting to have implemented."

Thanks to this successful Kickstarter, we can give monsters more interesting behaviours, more specific attacks and powers (and weaknesses), so why not create this effect for the zombies?

:swoon:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Among the Sleep, the survival horror game where you play as a toddler that's showed some teasers over the past year or so, just started a new Kickstarter asking for $200,000.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krillbite/among-the-sleep

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Accordion Man posted:

Among the Sleep, the survival horror game where you play as a toddler that's showed some teasers over the past year or so, just started a new Kickstarter asking for $200,000.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krillbite/among-the-sleep

I loved the concept when I first saw the teaser like a year ago, but 200k seems like a bit much to ask for considering what they're making. Still they have a couple recognizable names supporting them so maybe they'll make it. I just hope they didn't shoot too high.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Why would anyone ever put such a cringeworthy quote (Jim Sterling's) at the top of their Kickstarter?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Update from Larian on Divinity: Original Sin:

:swoon:

One thing I'm kind of curious about is how much apathy is generated in game creation/development over the course of 2+ years of work on a single project, and following that, how much new energy something like the Larian kickstater puts back into people working on it. It seems to me you'd have a natural loss of creativity and drive over that period of time and suddenly finding out people love your game concept to the tune of an extra 400k+ "investment" has to have some sort of net positive bonus in work execution and new ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Orzo posted:

Why would anyone ever put such a cringeworthy quote (Jim Sterling's) at the top of their Kickstarter?

Jesus, why would anyone quote Jim Sterling for anything ever.

The game looks totally cool though, even if the premise sounds like something from @PeterMolydeux.