Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Did Poppy Day a couple of years ago with a guy who had been in Malaya. He was pretty cool, basically Proto-GiP.

He:

-Joined specifically to go to Malaya
-Patrolled the jungle for six months or whatever, zero contacts, sightings
-Got hosed over by his recruiter and was put in for three years, never told that one year signings were available.
-Had a friend who got drunk and had a Maori Tatoo done over his face - Backwards. 'He was never quite the same after that...'

"Pte Bill Taare and Sgt Ballbags"

http://www.malayavets.co.nz/index.php?pag=aimg&image_id=94

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Holy gently caress those sabers are long. Especially on that dude next to the end on the right.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cross post from drunk thread.

War hero dog.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Godholio posted:

Holy gently caress those sabers are long. Especially on that dude next to the end on the right.

His is just as big as dude on the left's. They're for swinging down from the tops of horses; they kinda needed to be long.

Saw this in the ad spaceon my Facebook under an ad to get a Counter-Terrorism degree.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 17, 2013

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Did he jump on a grenade or something?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Thump! posted:

Did he jump on a grenade or something?

This is why you don't teach military working dogs to play fetch.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Even his tail is bandaged. :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
War hero dog deserves all the pets.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Looks like a dog we had jump off a 3rd story roof on accident. He survived and recovered.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Thump! posted:

The uniform he's wearing is the Rhodesian pattern. Definitely Rhodesian Army. I have a buddy who does a lot of different reenacting who put together the whole kit. I don't know too terribly much about the guys, but according to him they were probably one of the best Counter-Insurgency forces ever formed. Not that I know it's true, but it seems plausible.

I hafta admit, I can't think of a more comfy looking combat uniform.

Weird. Who reenacts the other side, a bunch of dudes in blackface?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

OBi posted:

Hispanic dudes in Che Guevara shirts

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

OBi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6cpU_iIqLs

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Booblord Zagats posted:

Hispanic dudes in Che Guevara shirts

No lie, the Colombian military managed to connive their way into a FARC camp and extract hostages without conflict by wearing Che Guevara shirts from The Gap.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/02/AR2008070202502_2.html?sid=ST2008070202995

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That reminds me of the picture at the beginning of every security/survival/intel slideshow for SOUTHCOM: Behold, the FARC Chick!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

That reminds me of the picture at the beginning of every security/survival/intel slideshow for SOUTHCOM: Behold, the FARC Chick!

brb defecting to the Colombian jungle

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

iyaayas01 posted:

We'll do a goon drive to raise money for your ransom after your inevitable kidnapping.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

iyaayas01 posted:

Gonna get burned to death in a tire.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

iyaayas01 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BEyEL2sA58&feature=youtube_gdata_player

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

Thank you for reintroducing Clutch back into my life :)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Went to the FARC for the women; stayed because there's an AK-47 pointed at my head.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Kinda wished I hadn't looked up what FARC meant because Federal rear end Ramming Committee was funnier in my head

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Realtalk Uribe made some impressive strides in Colombia, it's a helluva lot nicer and safer than it used to be (much nicer than certain neighbors) and probably has the best looking girls in Central / South America, especially if you're not into Argentines.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Snowdens Secret posted:

probably has the best looking girls in Central / South America, especially if you're not into Argentines.

Brazil says "not so fast, rear end in a top hat"

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

OBi posted:

Well he was the only guy out of about 170 people that day wearing the kit. Most of them just wore whatever it is that airsofters wear.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

Kinda wished I hadn't looked up what FARC meant because Federal rear end Ramming Committee was funnier in my head

You would not believe my disappointment when I defected to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Navy Aviation: a tradition of excellence, brah

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'd call an Archer patch pretty loving awesome.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRU3I_o1vLc

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
NG in Boston

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Top of that shed looks like a not so great place to be.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Mortabis posted:

No.

The Selous Scouts infiltrated ZIPRA/ZANLA cadres and turned their members over to their side. They would blend with the local population to locate the enemy.

To expand a bit on this, the Selous Scouts would... well, scout the enemy and call in an RAR or RLI FireForce to surround and mop up - for which the Selous guys would often get the credit.

If any of you are interested in the subject, I can recommend Dennis Croukamps book about his time in the RLI (including an awesome six-day E&E story, where he empties a silenced Uzi at dude at close range, only to have the guy run away) and Ron Reid-Daly's book about the Selous Scouts. Both are pretty terribly written and they both settle some scores along the way, but they ARE entertaining and provide some insight into the conflict.

Croukamp's book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Bush-Rhod...dennis+croukamp
Reid-Daly's book: http://www.amazon.com/Pamwe-Chete-Ron-Reid-Daly/dp/191987433X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366373507&sr=1-1&keywords=pamwe+chete (holy crap, $400 - I should look into selling my copy).

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Can-O-Raid posted:

NG in Boston

Sure that's not SWAT? National Guard wouldn't be wearing multicam and black boots.

Plus the idea of Guardsmen being given rounds is pretty LoL.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
Those are SWAT.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Hey, it worked out all right at Kent State, didn't it?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

Hey, it worked out all right at Kent State, didn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXIU0emLvU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Sure that's not SWAT? National Guard wouldn't be wearing multicam and black boots.

Those are FBI (Probably HRT), and they're kitted the gently caress out.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I was up at Madison Square Garden / Penn Station a few weeks back and saw a bunch of dudes kitted out like that. I thought about thanking them for their service etc etc until I realized there were groups of them in twos and threes near every exit, some of them had sniffing dogs, and they kept checking in with the regularly uniformed cops. I think it's just the new trend in police dressup. Not only is it a little obscene on the militarization scale but the camo is thoroughly useless in urban environments (particularly a train station) and made them look kind of silly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So who will be the first to wear the Navy digital pattern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Christoff posted:

So who will be the first to wear the Navy digital pattern

That's the thing, the Navy pattern would be far more appropriate for most of the places these guys hang out, to the degree camo matters when you're a policeman standing in the middle of a train station. But someone wants to cosplay Army.

• Locked thread