Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I brought my car in because the fuel gauge keeps going down and the only way I can fix it is by putting more fuel in. It must be broken. Fix it!

2014 models now have a 3 state gauge. Full, 1/2 and empty. The masses are appeased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

General_Failure posted:

I brought my car in because the fuel gauge keeps going down and the only way I can fix it is by putting more fuel in. It must be broken. Fix it!

2014 models now have a 3 state gauge. Full, 1/2 and empty. The masses are appeased.

1990's Subaru says what?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Are we still complaining about awful junctions in here?

Check it out, traffic coming off the ring road from the north west has around 40m if I'm being generous to get off the off-ramp, whilst also turning right and fighting with people trying to get onto it. Then you can either go for another lap if you're trying to escape north, or dive diagonally left across two more lanes to make your exit, now fighting with more traffic coming off the next junction around.

I could post the entire Coventry ring-road to be honest. It was a neat idea and it keeps the city centre free of traffic, but it's basically an automotive thunderdome zooming about above the pedestrian's heads.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Number_6 posted:

We shouldn't all be deprived of accurate information just because some people are idiots. Put a disclaimer in the owner's manual that explains that it's normal for the oil pressure and temperature readings to fluctuate under different conditions. And anybody who comes in to the dealer and complains about it (without a real underlying problem) gets a $75 diagnostic fee, non-warranty, for being a dolt.

I love how PSA does idiot lights. In pretty much all Peugeots and Citroëns, you have at the very least coolant temperature and oil temperature represented by actual gauges with indicated temperatures. They may be fudged a bit, but they do move about depending on how hard you drive the car, ambient temperature and so on. There's also the standard array of idiot lights, oil pressure, CEL, that sort of thing.

And in the middle, you have a gigantic red "STOP" light, like ten times the size of the CEL. If you can somehow miss that, you deserve every bad thing that will inevitably happen. I can see how some people can mistake the little red oil light to be an oil level indicator, but there's no mistaking a huge-rear end red flashing "STOP" in the middle of the dash.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The last vehicle I've seen with actual gauges was a 1988 Chevrolet K1500--fake segmented LCD gauges notwithstanding. Oil pressure and voltage moves with RPMs, and you can tell when the thermostat opens. I grew up with thinking that was normal. It's sad that it's come to this, I'd rather have an idiot light than a nonfunctional gauge.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KozmoNaut posted:

I love how PSA does idiot lights. In pretty much all Peugeots and Citroëns, you have at the very least coolant temperature and oil temperature represented by actual gauges with indicated temperatures. They may be fudged a bit, but they do move about depending on how hard you drive the car, ambient temperature and so on. There's also the standard array of idiot lights, oil pressure, CEL, that sort of thing.

And in the middle, you have a gigantic red "STOP" light, like ten times the size of the CEL. If you can somehow miss that, you deserve every bad thing that will inevitably happen. I can see how some people can mistake the little red oil light to be an oil level indicator, but there's no mistaking a huge-rear end red flashing "STOP" in the middle of the dash.

Temp gauge on my wife's 206sw either works like a real analogue gauge, stays at the bottom (idles lower) or pegs randomly into the red with accompanying panic stop light, due to a craptastic BCM I don't want to spend megabucks replacing. Actual temp is fine. The temp gauge has occasionally pegged the red on ignition after not being driven for 3 days.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
:stare:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
How the hell is that even remotely close to legal?

If so: Why aren't you all driving mad-max inspired pedestrian death machines?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It would be hella illegal in the EU, I know that much. Spiky or otherwise protruding objects that could possibly be defined as "pointy" are not allowed at all. The most you're allowed are hood ornaments like on Mercedes' or Rolls Royces, and even those are iffy for pedestrian collision safety.

I have no idea about the US, but I would assume it's not strictly legal in most states.

Cakefool posted:

The temp gauge has occasionally pegged the red on ignition after not being driven for 3 days.

The temp gauge in my Panda did this as well, but only on really cold days. Probably a low voltage condition.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 17, 2013

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

jammyozzy posted:

Are we still complaining about awful junctions in here?

Check it out, traffic coming off the ring road from the north west has around 40m if I'm being generous to get off the off-ramp, whilst also turning right and fighting with people trying to get onto it. Then you can either go for another lap if you're trying to escape north, or dive diagonally left across two more lanes to make your exit, now fighting with more traffic coming off the next junction around.

I could post the entire Coventry ring-road to be honest. It was a neat idea and it keeps the city centre free of traffic, but it's basically an automotive thunderdome zooming about above the pedestrian's heads.

As someone who lives there, yes, it's a complete and utter clusterfuck of idiot drivers day in-day out and the reason I tend to cycle a lot... The best bit about the ringroad is the fact it's so loving small, you miss your exit it's not a problem, keep carrying on and you'll hit it again within about 3 minutes.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

That's just so horrible. That ...uh spoiler? It reminds me of the front of a cabover truck.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

On the 208 & 508, they definitely have the "new" gauge system (needles don't move within a large interval) on temp. On my 306 Gti6 the oil pressure gauge (the phase 1 cars had one) was a direct hook up. Cold engine at idle would show about 6 bar, then go down to about 2 bar warm, up to about 5-6 bar at 7000 rpm hot IIRC.

Mine did not look like this (but it fits the thread oh so well):

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

On the 208 & 508, they definitely have the "new" gauge system (needles don't move within a large interval) on temp.

That makes me really sad :(

As far as I can see, the new 301 (ruggedized, low cost 208 sedan for developing countries) doesn't even have a coolant temp gauge, just an idiot light.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It would be hella illegal in the EU, I know that much. Spiky or otherwise protruding objects that could possibly be defined as "pointy" are not allowed at all. The most you're allowed are hood ornaments like on Mercedes' or Rolls Royces, and even those are iffy for pedestrian collision safety.

I have no idea about the US, but I would assume it's not strictly legal in most states.

Whether it's strictly legal or not in any state......you're going to get raped in civil court after the fact for damages should you hit someone.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

IPCRESS posted:

How the hell is that even remotely close to legal?

Even if it isn't, as previously stated you're probably not going to get a ticket for it unless you hit someone or are stopped for something else and piss off the cop. Traffic enforcement in the US is about 80% speeding and 20% lights out/failed to signal/ignored a traffic control device. Unless you give them a reason most officers couldn't care less about the more esoteric traffic laws, not to mention "fake barbed wire bumper bars are illegal" requires more legwork than "driver was speeding in excess of 20 MPH of the speed limit" or "had a tail light out" so an officer who might write 50 or more tickets in a given week is going to want to make things as easy as possible for him/herself.

KozmoNaut posted:

I can see how some people can mistake the little red oil light to be an oil level indicator, but there's no mistaking a huge-rear end red flashing "STOP" in the middle of the dash.

I can still see people ignoring it. "Ohmigod, stupid caaar! I'm totally not at a stop sign!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I really hope they never hit anyone, but if they do, I hope they get the book thrown at them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I love the flag in the background. It's the perfect framing of the picture.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

I'm not even sure that would fly in Texas.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

blugu64 posted:

I'm not even sure that would fly in Texas.

Odds are it's in Florida, no front plate. Although I could see it being in Texas.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The problem with idiot lights is they turn on for idiotic reasons, "You didn't tighten you gas cap enough, time to turn on" is not a reason to throw codes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

The problem with idiot lights is they turn on for idiotic reasons, "You didn't tighten you gas cap enough, time to turn on" is not a reason to throw codes.

And that's not at all what that light means when it comes on for a P0422 DTC set.

It means you have a small evaporative emissions system leak. Yes, that's most often the fuel cap not being on properly, but that's hardly the only cause nor what that DTC actually indicates.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
http://www.cavecreekdesigns.com/catalog.php?category=62

Yep. $1200 and you can impale pedestrians too!

Or hack of a few limbs as you sideswipe..

and not automotive, but from the same brilliant minds..

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 17, 2013

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

when granny steps on a spike and breaks her ankle getting out of her son's truck at Applebee's that's gonna be a big lawsuit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mighty Horse posted:

Straight from 'Cowboy BDSM Monthly'

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, Cave Creek, that explains it. Older people with money that want to be southwestern as hell.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Mighty Horse posted:

This is poser as fuuuuuuuck, noone down here decorates our poo poo with the fence from the pasture.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A bed for people for whom "sex" means "shuffling around under the covers without expending too much physical effort."

Because otherwise someone is going to die.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kenshin posted:

A bed for people for whom "sex" means "shuffling around under the covers without expending too much physical effort."

Because otherwise someone is going to die.

Someone's never done a 'shifty shrike.'

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Is there any way to switch useless overly damped gauges into real ones? Maybe by replacing the appropriate senders?

Related - are the cars sold anywhere that's not the US dumbed down with the same stupid poo poo, or do they get real indicators? I feel like Europeans wouldn't stand for that. My (probably dumb) thought was to acquire proper senders (possibly from the euro cars) and replace the ones in my BMW with those. I like knowing what's going on drat it :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Black88GTA posted:

Is there any way to switch useless overly damped gauges into real ones? Mayb

Maybe an aftermarket computer/tune. All the signals route through it first, and it gets reliable data from the sensors.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Black88GTA posted:

Is there any way to switch useless overly damped gauges into real ones? Maybe by replacing the appropriate senders?

Related - are the cars sold anywhere that's not the US dumbed down with the same stupid poo poo, or do they get real indicators? I feel like Europeans wouldn't stand for that. My (probably dumb) thought was to acquire proper senders (possibly from the euro cars) and replace the ones in my BMW with those. I like knowing what's going on drat it :(

The senders are not the problem: the car computer knows exactly the correct thing to display but doesn't. That's why scangauges and such are able to show the right readings. I'm betting the programming for the gauge behavior is too low level or embedded to be fixable.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Does anyone use Torque on their Android device? I've been reading up on it and i think i'm going to try it out because i don't have real gauges on my SS, no oil pressure gauge either wtf.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Toucan Sam posted:

Does anyone use Torque on their Android device? I've been reading up on it and i think i'm going to try it out because i don't have real gauges on my SS, no oil pressure gauge either wtf.

I (and a few other people I have given the link to) have purchased this OBD2 adapter and use it with torque no problem.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I got my obd2 adapter in the mail yesterday, and have been futzing around with the torque app all day. A bunch of people I know have done a cheap 7" droid tablet install... Looks clean as hell, and with the right apps everything just plain works when you turn the key.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Geirskogul posted:

I (and a few other people I have given the link to) have purchased this OBD2 adapter and use it with torque no problem.

I'm so jealous I don't drive an OBDII car regularly.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Godholio posted:

Maybe an aftermarket computer/tune. All the signals route through it first, and it gets reliable data from the sensors.

For what it is worth, Subaru sold working OEM gauges as an option on my car, but it comes with a second set of sensors. Probably means it is fairly hard to piggyback on.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
For which one, coolant or oil? OBD are required to monitor coolant temps for emissions control but I don't think the same is true for oil, and I don't think most cars actually come with oil temp sensors from the factory, so maybe that's what your extra sensors are for.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Thanks for the tip on Torque and that cheap OBD2 adapter, I think I might look into that. That's pretty nifty.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Holy poo poo. I had no idea there was a obd2 Bluetooth dongle. With an android app no less! I was seriously considering picking up a scanguage but if the dongle/phone combo works well I'll be getting one this week. I'll have a good reason to use my nav cradle again.

What exactly can this tell me? Will I be able to see SC boost pressure? Coolant and oil temp? Intake and exhaust temp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

What exactly can this tell me? Will I be able to see SC boost pressure? Coolant and oil temp? Intake and exhaust temp?

SC Boost Pressure, Coolant for sure, maybe Oil Temp (sensor permitting), Intake temp definitely, and EGT if there is a sensor as well.