Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Have there been any good video releases since "Pretty Sweet"?

The Deathwish video is coming out on the 22nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Is that like a...hard flip no comply or something? What the gently caress

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
That reminds me that I needed to watch This.

It's a bunch of weird skate tricks. Like with tiny boards, clown shoes, weird things etc.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Is that like a...hard flip no comply or something? What the gently caress

It's like a nollie double hardflip plus uhhh a no comply stair climb? I've watched it over and over and just want to cry

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
it's the doofus flip

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

That reminds me that I needed to watch This.

It's a bunch of weird skate tricks. Like with tiny boards, clown shoes, weird things etc.

quote:

But maybe you should clip your fingernails first because this video is going to leave you scratching your head for a while

Great advice, this video is baffling. Might be one of the best internet vids I've ever seen. The tiny boards and tiny ramps are so agressively WEIRD. It doesn't look real.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Whalley posted:

So I've been desperately hoping someone can tell me more about this gif; what is it from, who is it, how can I learn to hack physics to bend it to my will, all that sort of stuff. I tried reverse image searching it but all I got was a reddit thread, some dude's tumblr and websites like "hugelol dot org"

Pretty sure that's from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPuEU16P3zg

Edit: no... no, it's not from that. Still worth watching, though.

enojy fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 18, 2013

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
God. drat.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.

maffew buildings posted:

photosynthesis was dope and didn't have a disturbing lennie kirk part

It's probably my favourite vid ever, alongside this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POtE7PWsYMg

Love seeing all the London spots I skated years ago, wonder how many still exist these days

ApocalypseMeow fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 18, 2013

Mincher
May 12, 2008

ApocalypseMeow posted:

It's probably my favourite vid ever, alongside this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POtE7PWsYMg

Love seeing all the London spots I skated years ago, wonder how many still exist these days

I love British skate videos because everything we have to skate just looks so crusty. It's quite a contrast to the crisp, clean US west coast footage we see loads of.

Also, the music choices in the Blueprint vid are amazing.

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013
The U.K is awful for skateboarding especially the street style, the paths are tremendously rough and have massive cracks in them, it rains about 9 out of 12 months a year and the skate scene is crashing hard. To actually skateboard you have to find a smooth car parking area which is easier said than done. I suppose all this makes for a better challenge when riding though. Sorry for the ranting.

Personal experience living in a small town in England.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
I remember as a kid we used to get so excited when a road was freshly tarred or a new building finished. Scotland is not ideal skating but I love it.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

ElephantCrave posted:

The U.K is awful for skateboarding especially the street style, the paths are tremendously rough and have massive cracks in them, it rains about 9 out of 12 months a year and the skate scene is crashing hard. To actually skateboard you have to find a smooth car parking area which is easier said than done. I suppose all this makes for a better challenge when riding though. Sorry for the ranting.

Personal experience living in a small town in England.

Oh definitely, we scoured every inch of our town for spots and had to get quite creative. Although we did get the train to London most weekends so that helps and the college I went to had a good skatepark next door so gradually got easier as I got older.

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013
Yeah I am thinking about getting the train to other places there looks like there's a pretty decent skate park about 40 minutes away only problems is it's a bit on the expensive side.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The bearings that came with my churchill board got wet and I didn't take care of them at all so I just bought some china reds and the difference is so huge I'm honestly angry at myself for not buying them sooner

I really want a cruising board with a tail so I can learn how to ollie like my 12 year old sister's friends. So much money I could spend :negative:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Clint Walker does not care about his safety, not one bit. Also, Jake Brown can 720 without holding on.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

well i guess it's just a matter of time before someone dies

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I went out yesterday for the first time, pushing around was sketchy but I got a bit better once I warmed up and was quite proud that I can still ollie up curbs and nollie on the flat :black101:

My legs are hurting like hell today, I think I could pick things up again fairly quickly if I was in better shape.

Edit: My new deck just arrived, grip tape separate, hopefully I still remember how to grip a board!

ApocalypseMeow fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 22, 2013

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tenterhooks posted:

Also, Jake Brown can 720 without holding on.

That was awesome (couldn't watch the first one, since it's not available for mobile), but I can never think of Jake Brown without that crash he had a few years back running through my head. I remember seeing it happen on TV while I was sitting in a busy restaurant and loudly exclaiming, "HOLY gently caress!" I guess I was the only one that saw it, or cared, based off the looks I got.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

XIII posted:

That was awesome (couldn't watch the first one, since it's not available for mobile), but I can never think of Jake Brown without that crash he had a few years back running through my head. I remember seeing it happen on TV while I was sitting in a busy restaurant and loudly exclaiming, "HOLY gently caress!" I guess I was the only one that saw it, or cared, based off the looks I got.
I think I remember that. He somehow got up and walked off like, a 60-some foot fall, right? Dude's crazy.

Also that first video has some of the best kinked rail 50-50s I've seen ever.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

It was such a nasty fall...to flat...I cringe every time I see it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTeXKHkNqgk

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

His shoes...they just come off so goddamn fast...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I wonder what it's like to have either the near infinite self-confidence or absolutely zero self-preservation instinct (or both?) required to do some of those things.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Dave Gravette in that creature dvd that comes with thrasher is pretty loving impressive.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Dave Gravette is a goddamn beast. Man has tons of skill and no fear

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

mark suciu is now pro for habitat. watch these things he did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG3BYLv403k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=redN-JcM0Fc

he's p-good

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

I'm going to a skate park for the first time tomorrow. I'm going to be an old person at a park full of young skaters as I'm taking my nephew to the park and it's more of a beginners park with shallow slopes and no bowls or anything . I'm super nervous. :(

Megadrive fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 26, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Get some pads and embrace the dorkness, laugh about it. You're already ahead of the game with a nephew who needs supervising, always nice to have an excuse.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

lance mountain said once you're 40 you get to wear pads all the time. i can't wait. i mean seriously if you're close to 30 or older and you don't every now and again go "drat it'd be nice to wear pads" then i dunno what the gently caress

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
When I started to see 80's poo poo coming back one of the things I thought was "Oh sweet maybe I could go full pads at the local half-pipe and people will think I'm being ironic" when really I'd just like to learn to get back and forth a few times.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Megadrive posted:

I'm going to a skate park for the first time tomorrow. I'm going to be an old person at a park full of young skaters as I'm taking my nephew to the park and it's more of a beginners park with shallow slopes and no bowls or anything . I'm super nervous. :(

Just go early when no one's there imo

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'm 21 and I wouldn't hit up a park without a helmet, my beefy knee pads, and gloves. No shame.
Sorry I like to have fun, but don't like being hurt, fashion skaters

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I was at a yard sale over the weekend and I picked up a skateboard some lady was selling. It has 52 inch alien workshop wheels, venture trucks and an 8 inch board from pocket pistols does that sound like something decent to learn on? Lady I bought it from said she got it for her son 5/6 years ago and he only took it out a handful of times and it's been sitting in his closet ever since. I took it out and rolled around for an hour or so yesterday and it felt fine to me but is there anything that I might need to check on for something sitting around so long?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

dokomoy posted:

I was at a yard sale over the weekend and I picked up a skateboard some lady was selling. It has 52 inch alien workshop wheels, venture trucks and an 8 inch board from pocket pistols does that sound like something decent to learn on?

Learning on a dang monster truck is a recipe for a broken leg.

(sounds totally fine :) )

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
loving metric system. Don't they know this is America?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Wear pads if you want. gently caress it. No one who is worth giving a poo poo about cares about pads. I'm trying use knee pads more often when skating transition so I can try my MASSIVE airs and avoid swelling my old busted ankle up running bails out. Pads can give you more confidence it seems, which can't be bad.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I have knee pads for when I'm skating hills. If I gently caress up a slide, get speed wobbles, etc, and bail, I can then slide on my hands and knees without losing skin or hurting myself. Bad knees are also a family thing for me so I'm a bit paranoid about not injuring mine in any way. I've never skated park but I'd like to, and as I said, I'd be wearing them and a helmet and gloves minimum.
There are some fantastic soft pads on the market these days too. Can wear them all day and forget about them, but they'll soften the blow if you do go down. They just don't have caps and will tear if you try to slide on them

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I don't know if elbow pads would have helped when I ate it a few months ago (doubt it, since it seems to have been a hyper extension or at least some kind of ligament damage), but I wish I'd had them on because I'm sure it wouldn't have made things worse. That day really put a damper on my rekindled love for skating, which sucks because I was having a blast and getting to spend time with friends. I hate to let that fear keep me from it, but I'm not at a place where I could afford to miss an extended amount of work. Maybe I should suck it up, get some pads, and get back out there.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Well then my friend, check out G-Form pads. They're the soft pads that are getting big in the dh/fr world. If you're looking for burly knee pads with a cap, Smith Scabs are what I have and they're great, but really beefy. The others I usually see are 187 Pro's.I wore my Smith Scabs snowboarding one day cause it was super icy, and I took a few hard falls onto my knees and didn't feel a thing. You could definitely take some big drops from vert on them and walk away like nothing happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've actually had those G Form pads bookmarked for, probably, a year now.