Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Well if that really is the final radio edit, the vocals are pretty awful to listen to and it is a much less interesting song than it could have been.

Edit: okay maybe that is a bit harsh, it sounds better when I use a better audio setup. Still not sure about the vocals and the lack of a switch up in guitar playing. I thought there would be more to it.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

The Walking Dad posted:

Well if that really is the final radio edit, the vocals are pretty awful to listen to and it is a much less interesting song than it could have been.

You are not a DP fan if that's the case.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 18, 2013

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Yeah its not my favorite track- but the higher quality leak sounds better. Needs more bass IMO.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

The Walking Dad posted:

it is a much less interesting song than it could have been.

This is a really weird statement that could be made about almost any song ever. I guess it means you don't really like it. I think it's a really cool, groovy piece of disco funk and I wasn't expecting anything other than that. I get chills when the vocoder comes in every time I listen to it, these guys know how to use one better than anyone ever.

E: I have a feeling this will not be the best track on the album by any measure. I do agree its pretty straightforward but I like the poo poo out of it.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 18, 2013

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA
If that's the final radio edit, I don't understand why during the first robot/vocoder breakdown, they cut out 'get lucky.' It sounds jarring, otherwise I like the song.

tentril
May 9, 2012
This is a radio edit that is missing about two minutes of the song. There is still plenty of potential for it to get more interesting. I think this is perfect for a track you hear on the radio, and I see no reason to expect the album version to just repeat that last bit for two minutes or something.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Grawl posted:

Let us know what the requirements are for satisfactory fandom, friend.

Assuming the final mastered version doesn't have some new elements, I agree that the song keeps kinda shallow. It grooves and I've been looping it for like 45 minutes but the composition is basic and the beginning and end are real abrupt.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003

Calculon posted:

If that's the final radio edit, I don't understand why during the first robot/vocoder breakdown, they cut out 'get lucky.' It sounds jarring, otherwise I like the song.

This is actually one of the small things that makes the song far more interesting. I actually expected them to do the same thing with Pharrell's voice because he repeats "We're up all night to get lucky" for like 4 bars and it gets boring. Switching it up by adding jarring breaks in there is sort of French house music's hallmark.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

The Walking Dad posted:

Edit: okay maybe that is a bit harsh, it sounds better when I use a better audio setup. Still not sure about the vocals and the lack of a switch up in guitar playing. I thought there would be more to it.

Album version will be different, it's supposed to be around 2 minutes longer I've read

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Too bad there's only a two second preview so we can't confirm if any of the leaks are real or not.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Grawl posted:

Haha, yeah, I consider Discovery the culmination of the 20th century and saw Tron on opening night only because Daft Punk was in it, I'm not a Daft Punk fan, thanks for your contribution to this thread.

Unless by DP you mean double penetration, in which case no I don't want two dicks in my rear end. Not a fan of that at all.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Zedicus Mann posted:

Too bad there's only a two second preview so we can't confirm if any of the leaks are real or not.

I think that's the funniest part. I clicked the preview and when it abruptly ended like that I thought I stopped it by accident. But no, it's just really like that.

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA

Rodnik posted:

This is actually one of the small things that makes the song far more interesting. I actually expected them to do the same thing with Pharrell's voice because he repeats "We're up all night to get lucky" for like 4 bars and it gets boring. Switching it up by adding jarring breaks in there is sort of French house music's hallmark.

Well, I kind of know that, I just felt in this case it sounded jarring in an unfinished way, not in an intentional "lets keep this interesting" way. Maybe a proper 320 release will change my mind.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Calculon posted:

Well, I kind of know that, I just felt in this case it sounded jarring in an unfinished way, not in an intentional "lets keep this interesting" way. Maybe a proper 320 release will change my mind.

Once you go FLAC, you never go back.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

When I listened to it earlier (when that radio station's site had it up), I listened on my phone. Listening to the one on Beatport on my computer now and it sounds better on a better system. The bass is there. But it still feels pretty underwhelming :( Even if it's just a radio edit and not the full song, this is the final mix? I sure hope not.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

The Fresh Prince posted:

Album version will be different, it's supposed to be around 2 minutes longer I've read

I don't think two more minutes is going to do anything groundbreaking to the song. If someone doesn't like it now, I don't see it changing up all that much. They wouldn't cut more interesting parts of the song out. My guess is the extended cut is just going to be more instrumental and repeating parts that are already in this cut.

Speaking of repeating, I'm going to be having this on repeat for the rest of the day.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Daft Punk - Random Access Memory: Over analyzing everything at a near Zapruder-level.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

The Walking Dad posted:

Haha, yeah, I consider Discovery the culmination of the 20th century and saw Tron on opening night only because Daft Punk was in it, I'm not a Daft Punk fan, thanks for your contribution to this thread.

Unless by DP you mean double penetration, in which case no I don't want two dicks in my rear end. Not a fan of that at all.

Let's talk in a few days.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, is it "We've come so far to revoke who we are" or "We've come so far to evolve who we are"? I can't tell now :confused:

Either way, we're all a Mexican love key :mexico:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, is it "We've come so far to revoke who we are" or "We've come so far to evolve who we are"? I can't tell now :confused:

Either way, we're all a Mexican love key :mexico:

I always hear evolve.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I thought it was "We've come too far to give up who we are", but I could be very wrong.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Zedicus Mann posted:

I thought it was "We've come too far to give up who we are", but I could be very wrong.

Now I hear this. Hahaha.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zedicus Mann posted:

Skeezy posted:

I think that's the funniest part. I clicked the preview and when it abruptly ended like that I thought I stopped it by accident. But no, it's just really like that.

Hahaha, I thought the same thing when I clicked the link. I was like "Wait, is there something wrong with my audio?" Then I played it again and it was exactly the same :shepface:

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Skeezy posted:

Now I hear this. Hahaha.

A quick search for lyrics on Google seems to confirm "We've come too far to give up who we are", but this is all still pre-release. Don't get too excited yet, folks.

Although if that leak posted on the end of page 2 is legit, I may add it to my MP3 player until I can get the official release.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zedicus Mann posted:

Skeezy posted:

Now I hear this. Hahaha.

Me too :stare: I just listened to it again and I heard "give up" that time.

There's probably a bunch of different things it could be.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Dunno where all these complaints about the recording quality of "Get Lucky" are coming from. Everything sounds very expensive. This song is what I imagine money sounds like.

Can't wait to see what else those whacky robots can do with a few million dollars worth of recording equipment.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The pharell synth robot is clearly singing "We've come too far, to give up who we are". He was not programmed for originality.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Also, "let's raise the bar and accost to the stars"?

Uhh

dictionary.com posted:

ac·cost
to confront boldly: The beggar accosted me for money.
to approach, especially with a greeting, question, or remark.
(of prostitutes, procurers, etc.) to solicit for sexual purposes.
noun
a greeting.

:wtc:

I thought I knew what "accost" meant and how Pharrell was using it wasn't correct, but it turns out I was incorrect in what I thought it meant, but it still seems to not fit very well in this context.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Uhh

:wtc:

I thought I knew what "accost" meant and how Pharrell was using it wasn't correct, but it turns out I was incorrect in what I thought it meant, but it still seems to not fit very well in this context.

Isn't it "Lets raise the bar and we'll coast to the stars"?

tentril
May 9, 2012

Let's raise the bar and our cups to the stars.

Jesus are we really already debating what the lyrics sound like?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

If you guys are wondering about my source on the lyrics: http://www.lyrics007.com/Daft%20Punk%20Lyrics/Get%20Lucky%20Lyrics.html

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skeezy posted:

Isn't it "Lets raise the bar and we'll coast to the stars"?
Hahaha holy poo poo, well that makes a lot more sense :doh:

I can't wait for the official lyrics to come out.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

the black husserl posted:

The pharell synth robot is clearly singing "We've come too far, to give up who we are". He was not programmed for originality.

I was hoping he was saying "Lets raise the ball" Like an old disco throwback. I also heard "We've come to far, to devolve who we are" Which would be an interesting lyrical choice. But nah, pretty straight forward, which is alright, because Daft Punk's songs have cheesy but wonderful lyrics in them.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

tentril posted:

Let's raise the bar and our cups to the stars.

This is correct. Pharell is a known consumer of liquids in cups and surely PharellBot is no different.

Hahaha holy poo poo, well that makes a lot more sense :doh:

I can't wait for the official lyrics to come out.

No, it's cups. Pharell a drinker, taydoe off molly water.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
The hell is "we robbed a mexican monkey" supposed to mean? gently caress you Pharrell, you hack.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AwwJeah posted:

The hell is "we robbed a mexican monkey" supposed to mean? gently caress you Pharrell, you hack.
Surely it would explain this:

AwwJeah posted:

Dunno where all these complaints about the recording quality of "Get Lucky" are coming from. Everything sounds very expensive. This song is what I imagine money sounds like.

Can't wait to see what else those whacky robots can do with a few million dollars worth of recording equipment.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Is there any hope for a physical single release of Get Lucky on CD or 7"/12" vinyl?

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

the black husserl posted:

This is correct. Pharell is a known consumer of liquids in cups and surely PharellBot is no different.

No, it's cups. Pharell a drinker, taydoe off molly water.

I hate being robot / we can't spell "robot"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

AwwJeah posted:

"We like eating souvlaki."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories: What does this lyric sound like to you?

• Locked thread