Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Frozen-Solid posted:

DELL PowerVault

Used to rep a pair of md3220i at my old work. Never had any complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh. It's still impossible to find anything resembling a reasonably priced VMware Install, Configure, Manage course around here :(

It's going to get to the point where I'm going to do the coursework, pass the test, and just throw it on my resume as [pending class] or something, if VMware still lets you do that thing where you can take the test but they just won't give you your VCP until you actually step foot inside a classroom, then hope wherever I get hired maybe pays to sit me down in a class.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Ugh. It's still impossible to find anything resembling a reasonably priced VMware Install, Configure, Manage course around here :(

It's going to get to the point where I'm going to do the coursework, pass the test, and just throw it on my resume as [pending class] or something, if VMware still lets you do that thing where you can take the test but they just won't give you your VCP until you actually step foot inside a classroom, then hope wherever I get hired maybe pays to sit me down in a class.

http://www.cccti.edu/VMware/VsPhere5.html

http://stormwind.com/vm-ware-training.html (~1500 I think)

http://course.ucsc-extension.edu/modules/shop/index.html?action=courseSearch (DNS for their site seems broke at the moment)

https://www.vmware.com/partners/programs/vap/academy-program-participants.html (click on the Click Here link for the full list, a little outdated, you'll have to search each site)

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

talaena posted:

This is exactly what I need and exactly what confuses the gently caress out of me when I get into the vCD interface. I simply don't understand the concepts. I can (and have) read through the bits of the Admin Guide and I think my spleen processes more of the information than my brain; so I'm still stuck drooling like an idiot.

I will have to play more with the external network aspect instead of trying to NAT. I *almost* understand the process, but not really. I just need someone to show it to me, treat me like a 5 year old, and once I see it actually working it might sink in.

vCloud does a lot of extra abstractions which can confuse the gently caress out of even pretty experienced VMware admins. Once you create a VLAN-->vmware portgroup of some kind you'll need to add the external network to a provider VDC.

Once you've done that you'll need an org to provision virtual machines in. I assume you've got one built so you'll need to allocate resources to it. This creates an organizational VDC or OVDC if you will. Open this up while you're logged in with your sysadmin account, go to administration and select your org VDC. Once there hit the networking tab and add a network.

In the wizard that pops up you'll want to select the bottom radio button (assuming VCD 5.1) for a directly connected external network. Select that external network you added to the provider VDC and next your way through the wizard.

At some point in this process (I believe when adding to the provider VDC) you'll need to define some network attributes. This will include things like default gateway, netmask, the DNS domain it slaps on VMs and a pool of IP addresses (an example of a valid entry would be 10.1.1.150-10.1.1.175.)

Time permitting I'll try to answer any additional vCloud director questions you may have.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

That UCSC site is back up and they want 1200.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Googling around, stanly.edu wants like $180 for their course. I'm skeptical (like, really really REALLY skeptical), but I emailed them for more info. If it's actually $180 for an online course that's actually accredited I am going to be $180 poorer so fast it will make my bank dizzy.

Of course their registration page is completely broken, but a rep posts on techexams.net and is apparently getting good feedback in the thread. I have no idea :psyduck:

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Sweet Jesus good find. I'm not a VMware guy but for $200 I'll take that poo poo just to put it on my resume.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Live near tidewater VA? our prices are about 600 for ICM, 600 VCAP 16 week 4 hour courses; and I built the lab environment :)

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 11, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah, if only. I'm north of the border. That's a great price though!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Keep us posted, for $200 I'd be all over that yesterday.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

Keep us posted, for $200 I'd be all over that yesterday.

This.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

We can all be VMware course buddies!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I definitely will, guys.

Since this appears to have a waiting list and is probably a pretty hot thing given I found it on techexams.net, you may want to fire off an email to this guy letting him know you are interested in getting on the waiting list while we try to find out more about the course, just in case:

Nicholas Huneycutt <nhuneycutt2262@stanly.edu>

Send him your name, phone number, and email address. He seems to be pretty good about replying to emails quickly so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this ASAP. That's about all I know. I think the expected waiting list extends into August right now though, so if you need a class NOW then you're probably out of luck and you'll need to go elsewhere.

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail this from actual virtualization discussion so back to that! :haw:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Martytoof posted:

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail this from actual virtualization discussion so back to that! :haw:

To keep the train derailed, email sent!

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.
Man if that $200 course is legit, I'm gonna be pissed. I'm just finishing week one of the CCCTI ICM course.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Was wondering if anyone wanted to help test drive my virtual labs for ICM/View labs. If so PM me.

Requirements will be:
Workstation 8+ I can link you to a demo if need be
8GB ram(more pefered)
20GB HDD (peferably higher than 5400RPM)
+2 CPU cores

I've run through them myself but just because I can do it doesn't mean everyone else can.

E: I am uploading it now to my google drive so it is going to be done in a bit. Realize not everything is perfect but I am looking for improvements. In all reality I want you all to try and gently caress it up.

I have had 2 PM's thus far, I think a total of 10 would be enough. If you don't have PM's post here.

Also I am uploading it now on a 3mbps connection, so yeah probably will be done tomorrow

Okay google drive has a 5GB limit(thought it was 10?) where is a good upload spot?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 15, 2013

ChoLo
Jan 25, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Was wondering if anyone wanted to help test drive my virtual labs for ICM/View labs. If so PM me.

Requirements will be:
Workstation 8+ I can link you to a demo if need be
8GB ram(more pefered)
20GB HDD (peferably higher than 5400RPM)
+2 CPU cores

I've run through them myself but just because I can do it doesn't mean everyone else can.

E: I am uploading it now to my google drive so it is going to be done in a bit. Realize not everything is perfect but I am looking for improvements. In all reality I want you all to try and gently caress it up.

I have had 2 PM's thus far, I think a total of 10 would be enough. If you don't have PM's post here.

Also I am uploading it now on a 3mbps connection, so yeah probably will be done tomorrow

Okay google drive has a 5GB limit(thought it was 10?) where is a good upload spot?

Ill bite, I teach VMware / NetApp and Microsoft for the DOD.

Rwlauterbach@gmail.com

Triple edit: mega.co.nz ?

ChoLo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 16, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah I just purchased the google drive extension to 25GB uploading right now.

I was going to upload to my Hostgator site but holy poo poo that was slow after the first ~100MB

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Martytoof posted:

Googling around, stanly.edu wants like $180 for their course.

This is an online class, right?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

This is an online class, right?
No one cares as long as vmware counts it as having taken the class.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

No one cares as long as vmware counts it as having taken the class.

I think you actually have to take it for them to report to VMware that you have VCP eligibility.

But yes, AFAIK this is online. That or he was very nonchalant about a Canadian dude signing up for his class. I've been super busy do I haven't had a chance to follow up with this guy w/r/t any questions. Maybe someone else who signed up can poke him if they're interested. All I know right now is that I'm on a "waiting list" and I'll probably be doing this in August which is a long time but whatever, I'm in no hurry for those three letters. I can do the test and then take the course later.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Okay,

I'm very confused then... Does this count or not-count and if it doesn't count why the hell would you take it?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So, quick question on some of the features included in the vSphere Essentials kit:

I know that it doesn't include any of the awesome features such as vMotion, Storage vMotion or the VSA, but does it include the ability to transfer powered off (cold) VM's to datastores on other VMware hosts in the cluster while keeping them thin provisioned?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wicaeed posted:

So, quick question on some of the features included in the vSphere Essentials kit:

I know that it doesn't include any of the awesome features such as vMotion, Storage vMotion or the VSA, but does it include the ability to transfer powered off (cold) VM's to datastores on other VMware hosts in the cluster while keeping them thin provisioned?

Yes when you "cold migrate" it keeps it the same format as the source.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Okay,

I'm very confused then... Does this count or not-count and if it doesn't count why the hell would you take it?

If it's accredited then it will count towards your classroom requirement to obtain the VCP. I have yet to find anything that says it's not accredited so right now I am working under the impression that this $200 course will, in fact, count towards your classroom requirement.

I think the only thing we were debating was whether you even needed to participate for them to tell vmware that you took park in the class, or whether they would just rubberstamp your admission as "participation".

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Martytoof posted:

I think the only thing we were debating was whether you even needed to participate for them to tell vmware that you took park in the class, or whether they would just rubberstamp your admission as "participation".

I'll pay 200 for that rubberstamp!

Edit: Has anyone called them at all?

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 16, 2013

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Finally! Veeam 7 will support backup to tape! Maybe it can fax me backup results, too.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Erwin posted:

Finally! Veeam 7 will support backup to tape! Maybe it can fax me backup results, too.
I wish I had your job where there are apparently no compliance or retention requirements of any kind

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Misogynist posted:

I wish I had your job where there are apparently no compliance or retention requirements of any kind

Yes, because that can't possibly be accomplished without tapes for businesses of any size. I'm glad I don't have your job, because it's made you into a humorless dick.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Erwin posted:

Yes, because that can't possibly be accomplished without tapes for businesses of any size. I'm glad I don't have your job, because it's made you into a humorless dick.
Humor was me coming to Veeam's defense on a thing :angel:

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Tape is still the best gig per buck for us for offsite storage. We are unironically going to use that feature.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Speaking of fax, once a ticket came in and we could not receive log bundles from a customer. They insisted on faxing us the logs for review for security reasons. I couldn't remember how many pages it was, but drat it was a good waste of time and resources.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Kachunkachunk posted:

Speaking of fax, once a ticket came in and we could not receive log bundles from a customer. They insisted on faxing us the logs for review for security reasons. I couldn't remember how many pages it was, but drat it was a good waste of time and resources.

I am so going to do that when support pisses me off.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Kachunkachunk posted:

You should have mailed them a punch card back and told them it was a patch to fix the issue.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Martytoof posted:

If it's accredited then it will count towards your classroom requirement to obtain the VCP. I have yet to find anything that says it's not accredited so right now I am working under the impression that this $200 course will, in fact, count towards your classroom requirement.

Doesn't this seem too good be true? I was under the impression the required class had to be done on-site and costs around 4.5k - source a VCP friend who took the class about two years ago.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Doesn't this seem too good be true? I was under the impression the required class had to be done on-site and costs around 4.5k - source a VCP friend who took the class about two years ago.

I don't think either of the above are true. You can get classes for well under a thousand dollars. It's just not a race to the bottom, which is why this particular class seems like such a gem if it turns out to be legitimate.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So how is everyone else handling multiple View Connection servers?

We have two main sites currently each with a connection server. Right now all thin/zero clients are pointed at their respective connection server.

Ideally I would like to have one DNS entry that does either round robin DNS or NLB between the connection servers so I can do maintenance/changes without disruption.

I am thinking Microsoft NLB is the way to go?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Moey posted:

So how is everyone else handling multiple View Connection servers?

We have two main sites currently each with a connection server. Right now all thin/zero clients are pointed at their respective connection server.

Ideally I would like to have one DNS entry that does either round robin DNS or NLB between the connection servers so I can do maintenance/changes without disruption.

I am thinking Microsoft NLB is the way to go?

NLB is supported for availability of the connection servers, not sure how it'd work cross site without shared layer 2. I'd avoid DNS unless you're all floating pools that refresh at logoff.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ragzilla posted:

NLB is supported for availability of the connection servers, not sure how it'd work cross site without shared layer 2. I'd avoid DNS unless you're all floating pools that refresh at logoff.

Currently our network is one big layer two cluster gently caress but that should be changing over the summer.

We just got Server 2012 datacenter licensing so I could bring up 2 connections servers at each site then use NLB at each site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So if I read that right you are looking for an HA method of View Connection servers.

Why not just use a replica instance? http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.view.installation.doc/GUID-086D023E-7A05-49E3-8077-7D5C055EBB3B.html

Also isn't it best practices to silo your Connection servers to ensure LDAP consistency?