Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Gustafsson should probably win narrowly on the feet and big on the ground, but the Shogun fight did demonstrate that A) there are big holes in his defense and B) he won't necessarily go for takedowns as much as he probably should. Mousasi does have pretty good power and accuracy on the feet, so he has the potential for an upset. Do I think he'll win? No, probably not, but if the odds against him are good enough it might be worth throwing some cash down on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Bubba Smith posted:

also Mousasi is really weird about training for fights, where he doesn't actually train for them at all, while Gustafsson trains pretty hard and has a good camp over at Alliance.

Mousasi split this camp between Gokor's Angry Gang and Chakuriki Gym in Holland. If he looks like poo poo again then his fans are going to have to take Portuguese lessons, because he's training with great grapplers and a good assortment of Europe's enormous kickboxing supermutants under the tutelage of a legendary trainer.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
For what it's worth Mousasi's excuse for the Jardine fight was that around that time of the fight he stopped giving a poo poo about his fights and training, and he said now he actually cares about fighting and even more so now that he's in the UFC.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Belle Isle Tech posted:

For what it's worth Mousasi's excuse for the Jardine fight was that around that time of the fight he stopped giving a poo poo about his fights and training, and he said now he actually cares about fighting and even more so now that he's in the UFC.

hold on, I think I've heard this joke before

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
If Mousasi truly cared about his career, he'd have moved back to MW by now.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Meat Recital posted:

If Mousasi truly cared about his career, he'd have moved back to MW by now.

but he's just too big! and he's eating so healthy, spaghetti bolognese (covered in cheese) and a red bull before training, and after training, chicken wings (covered in cheese), some nice healthy broccoli (covered in cheese), and a shitload of potato

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

ain't nothing wrong with covering things in cheese.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Any takers? :v:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

those hosed up looking things are chicken wings covered in cheese? Someone post the louisgod slime steak POST HASTE

l3ruce
Jul 7, 2006

Can anyone explain to me why the pearson cooter line is so big. Pearson -390 Cooter +320 5dimes. Looks like people were dropping cash on the replacement, lines already down to +600/800 depending on the site.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Couture lost to KJ Noons and Pearson is pretty good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

canoshiz posted:

Any takers? :v:

that swedish guy is still a 'wrestler' so those odds are actually not too bad considering.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

At -140, Pat Curran is my favorite line I've seen in like, over a year. I have him big tonight.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Going to put a little bit on Latifi just because no one should be that big of a favorite in MMA. Especially if the favorite is Gegard Mousasi facing a wrestler.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

At -140, Pat Curran is my favorite line I've seen in like, over a year. I have him big tonight.

I haven't watched Bellator in a while but Pat Curran was legit when I did. How does this new guy stack up (his record makes him look like a KO machine)?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Ninja PD posted:

I haven't watched Bellator in a while but Pat Curran was legit when I did. How does this new guy stack up (his record makes him look like a KO machine)?

Shahbulat "Shamwow" Shamhalaev's wiki page says he is an International Master of Muay Thai. I don't know what that is but it sounds amazing, and makes sense because he is really good at catching kicks and punching people unconscious. Since signing with Bellator Shamwow has been an underdog in every fight but keeps winning by early KO. Curran will be his toughest opponent so far.

He also never makes weight and looks like a Sith Lord when he shaves his head (that's him in my AV).

Have a highlight reel

vainman fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 5, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"Master of Sport" is a term in post-Soviet bloc countries for high level sport certification so that may just be a poor translation.

l3ruce
Jul 7, 2006

Does jens pulver still have ability to beat asians or is he really that bad now.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

l3ruce posted:

Does jens pulver still have ability to beat asians or is he really that bad now.
I wouldn't trust Jens Pulver with anything, but most especially your heart.

l3ruce
Jul 7, 2006

I feel like such a oval office for not betting on Curran.
It's not my heart that wants to trust Jens, it's my wallet.

On a side note I can't get 5dimes to work from my phone. There is an issue with cookies apparently.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
First play of the night.

Ticket#:13973792
Apr 13 09:10 PM

INTERNET / -1

Apr 13 09:07 PM

MU

STRAIGHT BET
[24317] G. SMITH +150
(G. SMITH vrs R. MCDANIEL)

10 / 15

Edit: My next play for the night.

Ticket#:13974340
Apr 13 09:35 PM

INTERNET / -1

Apr 13 09:29 PM

MU

STRAIGHT BET
[24313] G. GONZAGA +180
(G. GONZAGA vrs T. BROWNE)

10 / 18

adding this one as well

Ticket#:13974359
Apr 13 10:05 PM

INTERNET / -1

Apr 13 09:33 PM

MU

STRAIGHT BET
[24310] M. TATE (W) +105
(C. ZINGANO (W) vrs M. TATE (W))

20 / 21

jase1 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 14, 2013

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
the lows of mma betting are amazing.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I could have sworn I bet on Zingano, but apparently I did not. I would have won mad pennies on that fight. I did remember to bet on Gonzaga though, so gently caress me.

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 14, 2013

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Eh, I lost 1u last night - bet on both Tate and Zingano to win by submission @ .5u. There just wasn't much to bet on, IMO.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

jase1 please post earlier in the future so I can do the opposite

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Frank Mir has terrifically bad taste and isn't a great fighter, but I don't think he should be that far off in his odds vs. Cormier. Someone tell me how wrong I am.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grifter posted:

Frank Mir has terrifically bad taste and isn't a great fighter, but I don't think he should be that far off in his odds vs. Cormier. Someone tell me how wrong I am.

It's not overall skill level so much as that he has very few paths to victory. He's definitely going to be outstruck and outwrestled, and Cormier is going to be able to dictate the pace of the fight enough to avoid his sub game.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I don't know much about MMA or betting on MMA, but from what I can tell Cormier is a faster, stronger and better striker with world-class wrestling. Mir's only chance would be to catch Cormier with a sub on the ground, but it's highly unlikely that Mir can take Cormier down. Cormier could probably take Mir down at will, but there's no reason for him to take it to the ground and put himself at risk, assuming I'm right in that he'll have a major advantage standing. Mir will also probably gas if this fight leaves the first.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Cormier might be stronger I guess but I'd say since hes probably a diet away from 205 and Mir can hulk up to 250 and still be relatively quick and mobile there's a pretty good chance Cormier won't have a strength advantage

Also as far as the striking I don't know why Cormier is so much better than Mir. Both guys have some good points and some bad points with their hands and they both mostly rely on them

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 18, 2013

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010

Grifter posted:

Mir's boxing isn't horrible by heaveyweight standards and Cormier's hands only looked good against Bigfoot iirc. He also has a tendency to break his hands pretty often.

The line is a little bit off, but I still wouldn't bet money on Frank Mir though, DC's probably gonna smash him and take a 30-27 decision.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

MacDeuce posted:

Mir's boxing isn't horrible by heaveyweight standards and Cormier's hands only looked good against Bigfoot iirc. He also has a tendency to break his hands pretty often.

The line is a little bit off, but I still wouldn't bet money on Frank Mir though, DC's probably gonna smash him and take a 30-27 decision.

Cormier outclassed Barnett on the feet with movement and speed. Barnett has really solid boxing too.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Fat Twitter Man posted:

It's not overall skill level so much as that he has very few paths to victory. He's definitely going to be outstruck and outwrestled, and Cormier is going to be able to dictate the pace of the fight enough to avoid his sub game.

It's not at all obvious that Cormier will be able to outstrike Mir, and even if he can outstrike him technically he could still very easily get hurt. Mir has significant power on the feet.

If I had to bet I'd bet on Cormier because he's unquestionably the better wrestler, so if he figures he's better on the ground the fight's going to be there, and if he figures he's better on the feet the fight is going to be there. But it's not entirely clear he'll be better on the feet and even from the top it's far from obvious he's better on the ground.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Boregasm posted:

Cormier outclassed Barnett on the feet with movement and speed. Barnett has really solid boxing too.

Barnett does have very solid boxing, but A) his game is very different from Mir's, and B) both Barnett and Cormier broke their hands in the first round of that fight so using it as a predictor for anything is fairly questionable.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'll probably place a tiny bet on mir as i think he's good as that much of an underdog, but i won't be picking cormier in any parlays. this fight is the most interesting on the card bet wise.

i've got josh thomson as the (more)solid underdog, i honestly think he will kick the poo poo out of nate's legs and give him a bit of a wrasslin. can't wait to be wrong ya'll!

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Josh Thomson is a really talented guy but his entire loving body is made of a Cruz-Shogunium alloy and you're not going to know exactly what's wrong with him until it's too late. Good Luck Goon

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

If I wasn't a Nate Diaz fan I'd be all over Thomson. Nate is at -210 at my book which is a bit loving absurd.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I bet on Gonzaga and Tate too...

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I only say Cormier will outstrike Mir because he trains at AKA while Mir is discovering the power of Nodes and has been taught that effective MMA striking doesn't involve punching people or moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!

fatherdog posted:

It's not at all obvious that Cormier will be able to outstrike Mir, and even if he can outstrike him technically he could still very easily get hurt. Mir has significant power on the feet.

If I had to bet I'd bet on Cormier because he's unquestionably the better wrestler, so if he figures he's better on the ground the fight's going to be there, and if he figures he's better on the feet the fight is going to be there. But it's not entirely clear he'll be better on the feet and even from the top it's far from obvious he's better on the ground.

Unless Mir has changed, from what I've seen, he has terrible, terrible striking defense for an elite fighter. I'm too lazy to actually research his fights, but looking it up on fightmetric, his striking defense is something around 40% compared to Cormier's 70%. That may be product of Mir being TKO'd in his couple of losses in his career, but even Roy Nelson has a higher striking defense and he lets people tee off on his head.