Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I've been thinking for a while that I ought to make a thread for food places in Birmingham, but I don't know if enough people go there or would give a poo poo. I may just be way too care-hard about my stupid little city but I think there's a lot of good stuff to be had here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Guacamole de Wiggles

Avocados, smashed
Limes, juiced
Salt, salted
Green chiles, roasted
Cilantro, finely chopped
Garlic, smashed, finely chopped

Mix well

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo

DO WE NEED TO HAVE FISTICUFFS MR WIGGLES?

HAVING BEEN BORN IN GODDAMN TEXAS

GUACAMOLE DE MINDPHLUX (ONE TRUE GUACAMOLE) posted:

• 2 avacados, halved, incisions made through flesh at 1/2in intervals vertically and horizontally, squeezed out into bowl
  • 1/2 small lime, juiced
  • 2 small roma tomatoes, medium dice, lightly salted for 15 minutes, excess liquid drained
  • 1/2 small white or red onion, fine dice, lightly salted for 15 minutes, excess liquid drained
  • 1/2 cup loosely packed roughly chopped cilantro
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced
  • generous salt and pepper to taste - pinch of sugar if your limes suck.
  • GENTLY fold ingredients together until just cohesive.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I've been thinking for a while that I ought to make a thread for food places in Birmingham, but I don't know if enough people go there or would give a poo poo. I may just be way too care-hard about my stupid little city but I think there's a lot of good stuff to be had here.

just do it! I did it for Atlanta, and honestly it's kind of snowballed into (I think) the most visited city-thread in GWS. I'm surprised - new people have been poking their heads in almost daily the last couple weeks. you never know who's on SA.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
My guac has charred tomatillo and serrano, but not a lot since all this poo poo should just be background to your big goopy avocado mass.

That being said I have no birthplace terroir to validate it as I'm a whitebread alabama hick.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah. It's crazy. There are a shitton of spoon goons in the inland empire I found out. Weird.

Edit: I'll add my guac to the fray. Basically like mindphlux but only one tomato, half an onion minced fine, no garlic, fine minced cilantro and Serrano, lime juice. Generous salt, touch of fresh ground cumin, black pepper. Don't over mash the avo. I got the gist of this from a cantina just outside of puerto Vallarta where my family used to vacation every year when I was growing up. They'd make it tableside. So good.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 19, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Allahu Snackbar posted:

My guac has charred tomatillo and serrano, but not a lot since all this poo poo should just be background to your big goopy avocado mass.

That being said I have no birthplace terroir to validate it as I'm a whitebread alabama hick.

I'm fine with additions to the basic chunky avacado/tomato/onion/lime mix - some people I think like to add a little toasted cumin, and serrano or other peppers sounds fine - as does tomatillo. I'm just insulted by the notion that guacamole wouldn't have tomato or onion. :mad:

:mad:

:mad:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Edit: I'll add my guac to the fray. Basically like mindphlux but only one tomato, half an onion minced fine, no garlic, fine minced cilantro and Serrano, lime juice. Generous salt, touch of fresh ground cumin, black pepper. Don't over mash the avo. I got the gist of this from a cantina just outside of puerto Vallarta where my family used to vacation every year when I was growing up. They'd make it tableside. So good.

yeah, I'll admit to mine being tomato heavy, but I love tomato. it should probably be made with just one. I also think garlic is optional, but was trying to give wiggles a lil' common ground. :)

mine also largely comes from tableside-watching-making experience. and my mumsie's recipe, who I'm also sure learned from a tableside-watching-making experience at some place in lower texas/upper mexico.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 19, 2013

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Can you really say authentic guac comes from someone you call mumsy?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Just the thought of avocado makes me break out in hives :(

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah. It's crazy. There are a shitton of spoon goons in the inland empire I found out. Weird.

Did I tell you I'm moving in June :( so we need to go to Salted Pig one last time for sure.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Can you really say authentic guac comes from someone you call mumsy?

can you really say authentic trolling comes from someone you call Bertrand Hustle?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My guacamole comes from my California roots. It is served to and loved by old Mexican guys at soccer games and bbqs. It makes no justifications.

Make whatever you want, though, I guess. I mean, I've seen that people in the delta call a tamale for instance, and while it's sad, it's sometimes just not worth the fight.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Let us have such a contentious debate about guacamole that further discussion of it is forbidden and bannable.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

bananamole

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I use banana in mine too! Just like noish-pa used to

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

pile of brown posted:

I use banana in mine too! Just like noish-pa used to

bananas
EVOO
shallots
banana peppers
curly parsley
tamarind pulp
pickled persimmons
pink himalayan salt
chinese peppercorns

I got high once and my school janitor rode in on a unicorn and gave me a stone tablet with this written on it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Allahu Snackbar posted:

bananas
EVOO
shallots
banana peppers
curly parsley
tamarind pulp
pickled persimmons
pink himalayan salt
chinese peppercorns

I got high once and my school janitor rode in on a unicorn and gave me a stone tablet with this written on it.

That's amazingly similar to my recipe, except I use regular peppers.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I'm loving the idea that some goon might decide to better their eating habits and navigate to GWC and click on this thread. Such an education they might receive!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guacamole: Bean or no beans?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I know that the kind of small businessmen that run restaurants, delis and cafes are known for being assholes about never closing, but... the GF's boss tried to force her to come into work this morning. Since mass transit is closed and the city was on lockdown, he was actually demanding that she take a cab in from the suburbs. And then they canceled taxi service. Weird times, man, weird times.

As for guac, I was taught how to make it by authentic* Mexican lady (from Baja), and the ingredients are:

quote:

avocado, salt, fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro. That's it.

I'm OK with some diced onion, I guess, but putting tomatoes in your guac is loving disgusting. Some people in New England mix in sour cream, too, which is also totally wrong.

*My authentic is WAAAAAY more authentic then your authentic.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

HAVING BEEN BORN IN GODDAMN TEXAS

If King of the Hill taught me anything of substance, it's that Texans pronounce it GWAKE-a-mol and know nothing at all about the actual preparation of guacamole in the culture of its origin.

Guacamole de bart:

3-4 ripe avocados. Haas are best as a base, add another variety if you can for texture.
10 serrano chiles, roasted until the skin is uniformly black, then left to steam in a paper bag until the skin sloughs off like a burn victim's.
Key limes to taste
kosher salt to taste
Combine all ingredients with a butter knife or the side of a fork. Leave some chunks. Top with finely minced cilantro unless you're serving the genetically inferior.

Sometimes simplicity is best. That said, I'd eat Wiggles's or mindphlux's or really anyone's guacamole because avocados are delicious no matter how they're made.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
That is bogus that your gf's boss tried to make her come in...poo poo is real in Boston.

My gf puts mayo in her guac and she is so proud of it and it tastes ok but part of me dies every time :(

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Guacamole de Wiggles

Avocados, smashed
Limes, juiced
Salt, salted
Green chiles, roasted
Cilantro, finely chopped

Mix well

The cilantro makes it taste like soap though I like to use a little dried parsley.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I never liked guacamole that much until I discovered this one. This is now my one true guac

3 Avocados, mashed
2 Tomatoes, finely chopped
4 Mild Chillies, finely chopped
1 Onion, finely chopped
Lime Juice
Salt
Bunch of Coriander

pound it up an mortar and pestle, mixin the mashed avo, done.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I prefer a simple guac of avocado, lime juice, salt, and finely minced garlic. I add some finely minced onion if I'm making it for a crowd, and tomato by request or if I have really good tomatoes which is rare. I'm going to be the weirdo who says he likes his guacamole very smooth - avocado is delicious but if I'm eating guacamole I want every bite uniformly seasoned without big chunks of it.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Rick Bayless: Authentic Mexican posted:

1 (8 ounce) package Philadelphia© cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon Old El Paso ™ taco seasoning mix
2 cups Olé José! Guacamole
1 cup (half a can) Heinz chopped tomato
1 cup shredded Monsanto™ Lettuce-licious iceberg lettuce
1 (4 ounce) cup Kraft™ shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons (one small can) Mario™ sliced black olives
Directions:

1. Mix cream cheese and taco seasoning mix.
2. Spread on bottom of pie plate or round dish.
3.Layer remaining ingredients over cream cheese layer.
4.Refrigerate until served.

I mostly follow Bayless's expert advice except I mix in my secret ingredient. Lipton™ Onion Soup Mix

Only registered members can see post attachments!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Very Strange Things posted:

I mostly follow Bayless's expert advice except I mix in my secret ingredient. Lipton™ Onion Soup Mix

No no no. That recipe is a joke, right? With that book title? It has to be. It has to be.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

therattle posted:

No no no. That recipe is a joke, right? With that book title? It has to be. It has to be.

It's not so much a joke as it is straight up libel.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

therattle posted:

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
This is how I make my guac.

I don't really care for tomatoes in guac, but that won't stop me from eating it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Woot has what appears to be good deals on kitchenaid mixers today. The 6qt lift bowl model is $360, which is $70 less than what Amazon has it for.

http://www.woot.com/plus/kitchenaid-appliances-more

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I've got my fingers crossed for getting one this Christmas from my mom. Canadian Tire puts pretty much all their Kitchen-Aid stuff on sale for 30-70% off in the coming time before Christmas. She's gotten me so many badass Kitchen-Aid things over the past couple years. :3: I've got my eye on the mixer and/or a dutch oven this year!

edit: VVVV This is what I hate most about recipe websites. How can people say they're objectively reviewing the actual loving recipe with a straight face? :arghfist: :spergin:

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 19, 2013

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Guacamole de Wiggles

Avocados, smashed
Limes, juiced
Salt, salted
Green chiles, roasted
Cilantro, finely chopped

Mix well

I tried this and it was awful. I was out of avocado so I used eggplant and I don't like anything green so I used oranges instead of limes and rojo perro-verga instead of regular chiles and powdered hand soap instead of cilantro. Worst guacamole ever, you suck wiggles!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Trap sprung

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

pr0k posted:

I tried this and it was awful. I was out of avocado so I used eggplant and I don't like anything green so I used oranges instead of limes and rojo perro-verga instead of regular chiles and powdered hand soap instead of cilantro. Worst guacamole ever, you suck wiggles!

You really should have sprang for the liquid hand soap; it makes all the difference.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It sickens me that there are people out there so lazy that they're not even willing to make their own hand soap.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Don't you know how many chemicals go into hand soap? It's so unnatural, I think it's better to just use some oil instead of soap since it's less processed. If you really want that soapy flavor you can add in a little bit of wood ash. Don't worry about how much since it's all natural.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pffft, real Men of Nature use Doctor Bronners for everything. For Everything.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping, ready to teach the whole
Human race the Moral ABC of All-One-God-Faith! For we're All-One or none!
ALL-ONE! ALL-ONE! ALL-ONE! The 2nd coming of God's Law" Mohammed's Arabs, 1948, found Israel
Dead-Sea-Scrolls & Einstein's "Hillel" prove that as certain as no
6-year-old can grow up free without the abc, so certain can no 12-year old
survive free without the Moral ABC mason, tent & sandalmaker, Rabbi Hillel
taught carpenter Jesus to unite all mankind free in our Eternal Father's
great All-One-God-Faith! For we're All-One or none: "Listen Children
Eternal Father Eternally One!" Exceptions? None!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Very Strange Things posted:

It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping, ready to teach the whole
Human race the Moral ABC of All-One-God-Faith! For we're All-One or none!
ALL-ONE! ALL-ONE! ALL-ONE! The 2nd coming of God's Law" Mohammed's Arabs, 1948, found Israel
Dead-Sea-Scrolls & Einstein's "Hillel" prove that as certain as no
6-year-old can grow up free without the abc, so certain can no 12-year old
survive free without the Moral ABC mason, tent & sandalmaker, Rabbi Hillel
taught carpenter Jesus to unite all mankind free in our Eternal Father's
great All-One-God-Faith! For we're All-One or none: "Listen Children
Eternal Father Eternally One!" Exceptions? None!

I completely agree. God, I hope you didn't make that up. I'd fear for your mental health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Have I been doing something wrong? Soap is great, but ammonia and bleach in my bread dough makes it so airy.

Re: guac-this always comes out with little red and white and green bits in it at the restaurant, as well as a big dollop of something white. Whenever I make it home it's just green. What should I do?