Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogGunn
Feb 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Chemmy posted:

What other situation could possibly exist than "if the traffic light is out everyone stops and yields to traffic"?

In Australia, if traffic lights are out, you give way / yield to traffic on your right, so it becomes a roundabout without the circle (unless that sign is there). In other countries, there are other signs that dictate if a road user has priority or must give way when the traffic lights are out. Pretty much only the US and Canada do all way stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How would you maintain/improve throughput and still provide for pedestrian safety like these guys are proposing? http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/How-to-make-Connecticut-roads-safe-for-pedestrians-4430951.php

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kastein posted:

Lots and lots of stuff

I can't really reply to everything (at least not in one post,) but Kelley Square is infamous enough that I'd heard about it in other threads before I made this one.

The Route 3/4 interchange really reminds me of a volleyball interchange, especially with those channelized left turns. I imagine the weaving's a total bitch with all those lanes, though.

Socket Ryanist posted:

Oh here's a question: Late at night I often see pedestrian signals do the countdown with flashing "don't walk", then when they hit zero they just go back to "walk". Obviously this is in the direction of the major street (which stays green until it's triggered), but why wouldn't it just stay on "don't walk" until someone hits the button?

In places with high pedestrian activity, many ped signals just come in every phase, which means there's no need for a button. If the artery's non-actuated, due to coordination or just a lack of detectors, it's going to keep on repeating the artery (and concurrent ped phase) until a side street is called.

Just an aside, on state routes here we do not use a Walk / Don't Walk indication for concurrent phases. We only use them for exclusive ped phases. That's a matter of local policy, and there are some exceptions, but most places in Connecticut, seeing that lunar white man means you can go breakdance in the middle of the intersection for a few seconds if you really want.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Are there any other detection systems being tested /tried? And what kind cost and implantation difference is there for video compared to induction and is there any kind of fallback system in case the camera goes out?

There are a few, and they've all got pros and cons. Here's a partial list, off the top of my head:

Microphone - Back in the day, you'd honk into one of these to trip your phase. Obviously outmoded and inconvenient.
Pressure plate - Old-school tech, I've never seen one in the field anywhere. Maintenance nightmare.
Magnetometer - More sensitive than loops, since they're located in a single spot, but useless if you drive around them for the same reason. Obsolete.
Inductive loop detector - Relatively cheap, require frequent maintenance, not good at sensing bikes and cannot detect pedestrians.
Point inductive detector - Similar to a magnetometer, but wireless and low-maintenance. Good for work zones, but still rely on the pavement staying intact.
Microwave detector - Pretty good at detecting moving objects, but need to be properly installed and calibrated. Has to be on a stiff support and high up. Many false positives.
Video detector - Similar to microwave detector, but easier to program and can be set up for multiple detection zones. However, low light and bad weather hurt reliability.

As for the fallback system, it's the same as any other detector: if it fails, the phase goes to recall. Costs, I can't give you anything exact, since every manufacturer will quote a different number.

Mandalay posted:

How would you maintain/improve throughput and still provide for pedestrian safety like these guys are proposing? http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/How-to-make-Connecticut-roads-safe-for-pedestrians-4430951.php

I'd like to note that Route 1 isn't just the most dangerous route for pedestrians; it's by far the worst for motorists as well. We could tremendously improve operations for all users with a good access management plan, and I'm talking like a 75% reduction in accidents. I'd be all in favor of a road diet if there were anywhere else for cars to go, but Route 1's been congested for over a hundred years, and all the alternate routes are saturated. Cutting its capacity will send traffic down local roads and through neighborhoods instead, which nobody wants. Honestly, there's just not enough room, money, or political power to fix things. If we had any one of those three, we could make do.

The highway design manual is pretty outdated, though. There's a standing committee to revise it, but there really haven't been any big changes as long as I can remember.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

I've always been fascinated with started but unfinished bits of highways here like the carved out but not paved bit off Rt 11 and the never used i-291 ramps north of the "stacks" in Farmington, or that so obvious "this was supposed to keep going" exit on Governor Street in EH.

Are there any other remnants lurking elsewhere in the state?

The end of Rt 11 just kind of peters out:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=route+2+ct&hl=en&ll=41.467557,-72.284031&spn=0.050102,0.074844&hnear=Connecticut+2,+Connecticut&t=h&z=14

http://www.kurumi.com/roads/ct/ct11.html

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Actually it doesn't. They built a couple of bridges and blasted out a couple of canyons through the rock. There is a good 1/8th mile of half finished road there. They just turned what was supposed to be an exit into the end of the expressway

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mighty Horse posted:

Actually it doesn't. They built a couple of bridges and blasted out a couple of canyons through the rock. There is a good 1/8th mile of half finished road there. They just turned what was supposed to be an exit into the end of the expressway

I posted one pic earlier with a ton of locations just around Hartford.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Google the "M8 ski-jump" in Glasgow and you'll get a tonne of pictures of a long-unfinished junction.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
This is always a good example of an abruptly cut off freeway: http://goo.gl/maps/uJhuH

You can see how the original roadway is now crossed over for some movements and parts of the cloverleaf are effectively abandoned; as well as how the land is cleared out for a good distance from the interchange.

The freeway was meant to end approximately here, and between the two locations you can see the right of way intended by seeing where there's no buildings: http://goo.gl/maps/1iSHw

That land is still owned by the state in full, incidentally.

Edit: This one is also good, an overpass and cloverleaf constructed and still in place for a road that was never completed anywhere near it:
http://goo.gl/maps/y3GmF

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 17, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Another fun one: interstate 189 in Burlington VT. It's 1.5 miles long.

Clearly, it was intended to go further: http://goo.gl/maps/btdw8

I remember seeing the abandoned highway (it's blocked off with jersey barriers, directing all traffic onto the exit) and wondering where it went as a kid when visiting my grandparents.

e: vvv wow, that one is awesome. It goes from surface roads to surface roads. But at least you can cross the river fast I guess.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 17, 2013

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Downtown Providence has a pretty sad-looking freeway remnant, as well: http://binged.it/100KaBp

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Oh boy, freeway archeology!

All four corners of Rotterdam's Ring Road were supposed to connect to something bigger. The first three will maybe, definitely and probably be connected, in that order. The last one (massive interchange by the way) is probably always going to remain a dead end EB since there's no long term planning for another big river crossing in that area.

Those are the most egregious examples I know of in this country.

And of course there's the classic example in Cape Town.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Socket Ryanist posted:

Oh here's a question: Late at night I often see pedestrian signals do the countdown with flashing "don't walk", then when they hit zero they just go back to "walk". Obviously this is in the direction of the major street (which stays green until it's triggered), but why wouldn't it just stay on "don't walk" until someone hits the button?

GWBBQ posted:

Is it an intersection of a major and minor road? It sounds like it's programmed to just repeat the cycle it's on if there are no vehicles detected on the cross street.
A signal that does that (walk, countdown, then back to walk) either has no crossing request buttons, or is most likely tied to other traffic signals as part of an intelligent transportation system.

In Florida, we use that kind of setup near schools and at other high volume crosswalks (IE near stadiums and CBD areas).

Edit: bah, didn't check the next page.

----------------

We've got lots of unfinished freeway stuff in the Tampa Bay Area, but it's all been put to good use since initial construction, usually as part of 4/6-lane arterial highways.

People always wonder why there's a full T-interchange leading to the beaches in St. Petersburg. Answer: it's an old remnant of the I-175 that never was. Instead, the road got the designation of Alternate US19 and became a 6-lane arterial highway.

And the matching half-a-T that would have linked it to I-275 and the section of I-175 downtown:

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 18, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
These are some shots from alpsroads for the unused interchange I linked:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Cichlidae posted:

I posted one pic earlier with a ton of locations just around Hartford.

I recognize some. What's the top right and 2 down on the left?

Also wondered do you think of the greenway along the merit have a shot in hell on happening?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mighty Horse posted:

I recognize some. What's the top right and 2 down on the left?

Also wondered do you think of the greenway along the merit have a shot in hell on happening?

Top right is where the CT 15 freeway joins the Berlin Tpke. It was supposed to continue south as a freeway down to the other end of the freeway in Meriden.

Two down on the left is SR 571 in Berlin. It was originally a bypass of downtown Kensington, supposed to reach I-84, but 72 found an easier route there and 571's been all but abandoned.

As for the greenway, yeah, it's likely to happen. We've got tons of right-of-way there, and we're sure as hell not widening 15.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

I'd like to note that Route 1 isn't just the most dangerous route for pedestrians; it's by far the worst for motorists as well. We could tremendously improve operations for all users with a good access management plan, and I'm talking like a 75% reduction in accidents. I'd be all in favor of a road diet if there were anywhere else for cars to go, but Route 1's been congested for over a hundred years, and all the alternate routes are saturated. Cutting its capacity will send traffic down local roads and through neighborhoods instead, which nobody wants. Honestly, there's just not enough room, money, or political power to fix things. If we had any one of those three, we could make do.

The highway design manual is pretty outdated, though. There's a standing committee to revise it, but there really haven't been any big changes as long as I can remember.

What would you do with more money? What would you do with more political power?

More room would seem impossible.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I suppose with more money you could do crazy poo poo like bury it, and with more political will you could just start taking property along the route, right?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mandalay posted:

What would you do with more money? What would you do with more political power?

More room would seem impossible.

With money, you could bring the facilities up to modern standards with targeted improvements: removing bottlenecks, making sidewalks that are ADA compliant, turn lanes where there are heavy accident problems, better signal networks... you could also bribe compensate businesses in order to get an access management plan going. The biggest problem with US 1 - and what sets it aside from every other route in the state - is how absolutely terrible its access management is.

With political power, you could close hundreds of driveways, coordinate improvements between multiple towns, encourage businesses to enact measures that reduce congestion and car usage, implement more effective mass transit, all that fun stuff.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Here's something hideous to envision. A massive ugly looking highway that cuts right through the middle of downtown Denver. How did urban planners and engineers from the mid 20th century create such hosed up ideas like this? :eng99:

E: Here's the link for the I-70 project through east Denver I asked about earlier in the thread: http://www.i-70east.com/ The buried highway makes the neighborhood look so much better than having that ugly elevated structure.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 18, 2013

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
This is a map of all of Tampa Bay's freeway ideas from the 60s and 70s, with yellow being the stuff that was built. The orange lines these days are 4/6/8-lane arterial highways, most with some degree of grade separation where highways were to meet (random diamonds, parclos and cloverleaves around the city). Just as bad.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 18, 2013

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

I love that old aesthetic. "They may be engineering drawings, but, drat it, we're going to make 'em snazzy". All we seem to get these days is photorealistic renderings and glossy web 2.0 logos. I've got to do some retro plans someday, just for the heck of it.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
A Long Island example of unfinished interchanges:

Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway (NY 135) at Jericho Turnpike (NY 25) (northern terminus): http://goo.gl/maps/Fcin6

At Merrick Road (southern terminus):
http://goo.gl/maps/QM037

This highway was supposed to go farther, both north and south. It was supposed to go farther north across the LI Sound to Rye, and farther south to the island with Jones Beach. Stubs are visible on both ends.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

will_colorado posted:

Here's something hideous to envision. A massive ugly looking highway that cuts right through the middle of downtown Denver. How did urban planners and engineers from the mid 20th century create such hosed up ideas like this? :eng99:

E: Here's the link for the I-70 project through east Denver I asked about earlier in the thread: http://www.i-70east.com/ The buried highway makes the neighborhood look so much better than having that ugly elevated structure.

The only problem with that design is that it isn't rail. :getin:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

RoleModel posted:

A Long Island example of unfinished interchanges:

Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway (NY 135) at Jericho Turnpike (NY 25) (northern terminus): http://goo.gl/maps/Fcin6

At Merrick Road (southern terminus):
http://goo.gl/maps/QM037

This highway was supposed to go farther, both north and south. It was supposed to go farther north across the LI Sound to Rye, and farther south to the island with Jones Beach. Stubs are visible on both ends.

Sure looks like most of the RoW is still owned by the state though, at least - it's incredibly easy to see where the highway would go if it was built.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kastein posted:

Sure looks like most of the RoW is still owned by the state though, at least - it's incredibly easy to see where the highway would go if it was built.

Yeah but it's really intended for some form of Long Island Sound crossing in order to really justify completing it.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

I love unfinished bits of road - Manchester has a ski-jump of it's own:

See if you can guess why they abandoned this sliproad and built a new one 100m further along.
It would send traffic the wrong way down the one way A34

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

JingleBells posted:

I love unfinished bits of road - Manchester has a ski-jump of it's own:

See if you can guess why they abandoned this sliproad and built a new one 100m further along.
It would send traffic the wrong way down the one way A34

What? Did they design and start building the ramp, and then 75% through construction someone suddenly noticed the design was wrong?

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

nielsm posted:

What? Did they design and start building the ramp, and then 75% through construction someone suddenly noticed the design was wrong?

I think it's actually an urban legend:

CBRD posted:

Some sources have claimed more recently that there was a plan for Brook Street to become two-way at the time the road was built, but this theory is widely dismissed as being much too boring.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
Yeah the UK has a million of these, particularly around London and Manchester. I always found the start of the M23 south of London particularly weird.

Just with how far they got before deciding "actually, we won't build a motorway 12 miles into central London, this will do".

There is also this pretty poo poo junction made out of the ends of both the M57 and M58

There's also a completely worthless roundabout ending the M65, this weird-rear end end for the M1, the M11 to the east was intended for greater things, the A3290 leading an entire motorway into a business park...

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Can't remember if it's already been posted, but Unfinished London is a great mini-documentary on the abandoned Ringways project around London.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

I love that old aesthetic. "They may be engineering drawings, but, drat it, we're going to make 'em snazzy". All we seem to get these days is photorealistic renderings and glossy web 2.0 logos. I've got to do some retro plans someday, just for the heck of it.

http://documents.latimes.com/la-2013/ Futurists :rolleyes:

If you're in LA again sometime, the Getty Museum is doing a cool exhibit on LA's infrastructural growth in the last century: http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/overdrive/index.html

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

It's cool to see what they got right...

...and also what they got horribly wrong :(

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Mandalay posted:

http://documents.latimes.com/la-2013/ Futurists :rolleyes:

If you're in LA again sometime, the Getty Museum is doing a cool exhibit on LA's infrastructural growth in the last century: http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/overdrive/index.html

I love these looks at the future from the past, thanks for this. Interesting how they're compeletly wrong in the sidebar about cars...until the last paragraph, where they're completely right. ("Sonar shield" sounds so much better than "active cruise control", doesn't it?)

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The unfinished freeway of my youth: http://goo.gl/maps/pKFRm

If you continue east, you can see that the right of way still exists. However, building a bridge over the lake was not exactly a popular idea.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

For a podunk nowhere town, I always thought this was pretty cool and uncommon.

http://goo.gl/maps/XlE3h

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This doesn't look like much:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rockton,+wi&ll=43.638964,-90.599141&spn=0.006266,0.011834&hnear=Rockton,+Wisconsin&gl=us&t=h&z=17

But it's a huge bridge that goes from nowhere to nowhere. Back in the 80s they were about to flood this area with an earthen dam, so there's a bunch of bridges like this that clear the area where water would be. When the dam was nearly finished they cancelled it, but the bridges still remain.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think I read about a stretch of unused/unfinished freeway (or another road type) in the UK that has been used to film car chase scenes and the like. Can't seem to find it right now, though.

UK/Ireland folks interested in unfinished and otherwise strange pieces of motorways might want to check Pathetic Motorways.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Carteret posted:

For a podunk nowhere town, I always thought this was pretty cool and uncommon.

http://goo.gl/maps/XlE3h

Holy hell, that must have cost a fortune with all those bridges. Looks like a well designed interchange, though, so kudos to whoever had to conceive that nightmare.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think I read about a stretch of unused/unfinished freeway (or another road type) in the UK that has been used to film car chase scenes and the like. Can't seem to find it right now, though.

UK/Ireland folks interested in unfinished and otherwise strange pieces of motorways might want to check Pathetic Motorways.

If its the one I'm thinking of it is a Motorway, just one you wouldnt use on a general commute. It should be on the Pathetic Motorways called the M96. I could link to it but I'm on my phone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Following a few links, I landed here... http://www.cbrd.co.uk/badjunctions/58-577/
Is that a dong?