Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Anyone have any experience of Bone Daddies in Soho? Planning on going next Saturday night; does anyone know if it gets really busy?

Oh and is it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Had Shoryu Ramen on Regent St last night. Very very good - only one vege thing on the menu but I'm not complaining. Get the pickled mustard leaves on top.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

sweat poteto posted:

Had Shoryu Ramen on Regent St last night. Very very good - only one vege thing on the menu but I'm not complaining. Get the pickled mustard leaves on top.

Think they're still doing 50% off today at the new soho popup so any goons not put off by the Maggie festivities should go down today. Haven't been to Bone Daddies myself but friends say it gets mega busy, they also said it was great so ymmv. :shobon:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Any goonpinions on Burger and Lobster in Soho? It was recommended by the friend that took us to the Hawksmoor, but his recommendation for the burger at Bishopsgate was way off. Which is better, the burger or the lobster? Or should I take my date to something like Flat Iron instead?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Flat Iron isn't such a great idea for a date, you're literally squished in between other people at bench seats.

iMop
May 4, 2005
$apple_whore++;

Raffles posted:

Anyone have any experience of Bone Daddies in Soho? Planning on going next Saturday night; does anyone know if it gets really busy?

Oh and is it good?

Haven't eaten there, I've given up queueing twice to go somewhere different -- so, yes on it getting busy, not sure on whether it's any good!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Think they're still doing 50% off today at the new soho popup so any goons not put off by the Maggie festivities should go down today.

Yeah we would have gone to the soho popup to save some bux but it's on a reduced menu that's all meats.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Mantle posted:

Any goonpinions on Burger and Lobster in Soho? It was recommended by the friend that took us to the Hawksmoor, but his recommendation for the burger at Bishopsgate was way off. Which is better, the burger or the lobster? Or should I take my date to something like Flat Iron instead?

I like Burger and Lobster a lot, although I've never had the burger there because I love lobster...

I've only ever been to the one in Green Park as well, don't know the Soho one.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
No burger is worth £20, especially given that it's nowhere close to being the best burger around. Definitely go for the lobster.

I also tried Lucky Chip at the Grafton, which was really excellent. They've made the Grafton a superb pub, which is quite impressive given how strong the competition in Kentish Town is. Think I slightly prefer Dirty Burger though.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Went to Honestburgers at Soho. Good burg. Good chips. Good ice tea.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Went there last week for pizza and I'd say slightly mixed. I had a Romana, which was awesome with a great hit of anchovy/caper but not so much to be overpowering and a tasty, chewy base. I think it could have stood an extra 30 seconds or so as there were a few spots of char on the crust but I like my pizza crust quite well done. The person I was with got a diavola though which came with shitloads of shredded bacon that seemed to be salt cured. I had a slice of it, which was nice, but they couldn't finish it just because it was way too salty. Again the base was nice but a meat and chilli pizza should not be much saltier than the anchovy/caper option.

I was too full for anything more but my friend had tiramisu that I had a bite of. Really nice cream and good bit of cocoa but could have done with a bit more booze. Between starters, wine and everything added up to about £50 between two which doesn't seem like bad value for a London restaurant. The pizzas are definitely well priced although it seems like toppings may be a bit hit and miss.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Quick trip report. Was taken to the River Cafe by the girlfriend for my birthday. Have wanted to go there for a while but never made the effort.
It's a well oiled machine, one big room with open kitchen results in a buzzing atmosphere on a Friday night.
The food was generally good (antipasti of crab, another of buffalo mozzarella), and very good (slow cooked veal with lentils - the veal was sublime). The spatchcock pigeon main seemed to lack depth. Roasted almond ice cream was as creamy, thick and luxurious as you'd expect of gelato in a place like this.
My biggest problem with this, and other high end Italians I've tried in London, is the prices. I'm not sure why they all seem to insist on charging around £15 for anitpasti and over £30 for the mains.
Still if money is not the main factor, I'd certainly recommend it, especially in the Summer when the tables are moved outside.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Okay, gonna be in London in less than a month now. Staying in Knightsbridge, but I don't want to eat there all the time. Where do I eat with my new spouse? No idea what to look for in that city.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Okay, gonna be in London in less than a month now. Staying in Knightsbridge, but I don't want to eat there all the time. Where do I eat with my new spouse? No idea what to look for in that city.

where are you from or more to the point have you ever had real Indian food

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's like we don't have a super-informative OP about restaurants. <:mad:>

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you're american/canadian come and gorge yourself on curry.

If you're form anywhere else, come and gorge yourself on curry.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Tell me about Polpo guys. Will I end up spending a fortune there?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

How long are you staying for Wiggles? Want to stay central or willing to explore a bit?

Take the victoria line down to Brixton for Franco Manca pizza and walk around the market(s)

Overground to Hackney Wick for Counter Cafe coffee & brunch. Canal and olympic stadium to the East, Victoria Park (especially nice in summer) to the West.

Walk south from Knightsbridge to Saatchi Gallery for a headfuck then gelato out front or cafe underneath. A few blocks west of there is the V&A, Natural History, and Science museums. Drink wine, coffee, eat peppers, manchego, cake, pig meats at Fernandez & Wells nearby at South Kensington. The Sampler is around the corner for additional wining.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Raffles posted:

Tell me about Polpo guys. Will I end up spending a fortune there?

No, but the bill will be significantly larger than you expect at the end (nothing on the menu is more than a tenner). e: For clarity last time I went it was about £50 for two incl tip and drinks, but we didn't eat much.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

distortion park fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 18, 2013

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

ineptmule posted:

I like Burger and Lobster a lot, although I've never had the burger there because I love lobster...

I've only ever been to the one in Green Park as well, don't know the Soho one.

I was at the one in Green Park, it was excellent. Had a grilled lobster.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lupita instead of Benitos Hat?
pffft

Edit: bonus points for Best Mangal though, if you find yourself in Fulham/Kensington Olympia, you owe it to yourself to get the best kebab in the city.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 18, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

How long are you staying for Wiggles? Want to stay central or willing to explore a bit?

Take the victoria line down to Brixton for Franco Manca pizza and walk around the market(s)

Overground to Hackney Wick for Counter Cafe coffee & brunch. Canal and olympic stadium to the East, Victoria Park (especially nice in summer) to the West.

Walk south from Knightsbridge to Saatchi Gallery for a headfuck then gelato out front or cafe underneath. A few blocks west of there is the V&A, Natural History, and Science museums. Drink wine, coffee, eat peppers, manchego, cake, pig meats at Fernandez & Wells nearby at South Kensington. The Sampler is around the corner for additional wining.

A good post.

Only 4 days in the city, the rest of my time is up north.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A good post.

Only 4 days in the city, the rest of my time is up north.

Yo Wiggles, it would help if you had, if not an itinerary, then an idea of places that you want to see: then we can suggest some eating destinations nearby. Also, I don't know if you want a real blow-out night because there are a few good suggestions for that too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We don't have much of an itinerary or anything for London with the exception of:

1. Spending a day at the British Museum
2. Hanging out at Kew Gardens for at least half a day, as my fiance has a good friend who works there and is giving us a tour.

Otherwise I don't even know what we're going to do. We're not terribly into the touristy stuff.

Not sure we're really into one big blow out night, since it's at the end of our trip. But I'll take suggestions just in case we're still up to it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Wiggles, if you want a blow-out this review is relevant.

On Friday night to celebrate our birthdays and anniversary (all of which take place within 4 days of each other) we treated ourselves to dinner at Roganic. On Friday and Saturday nights they only offer the full ten-course set menu: we chose the vegetarian one (she's vegetarian; there were four different items from the meat/fish one - which looked VERY tempting). It's not a super-smart place, as it is a two-year temporary restaurant, but it is pleasant enough, with casual, pretty informal but efficient and professional service. We were given two snacks to start: cheese crisps with wild garlic cream, and potato croquettes with hay reduction/cream - both delicious! The bread was also very good - very light.

The first course was just spectacular: a light mushroom mousse on top of delicious pickled mushrooms, topped with a slightly sweet mushroom crisp. So, so tasty, we scraped our bowls. Other dishes which stood out were a smoked sous vide duck egg with salt-baked beetroot and sour cream (so good, rich and unctuous); char-grilled tender-stem broccoli with buttermilk fennel panna cotta; salsify with apple salsify puree and an apple foam; potatoes with onion ash (incredible); dessert of parsnip cream with hazelnut brittle, hazelnut syrup, and chervil; and compressed pear with ice cream (can't remember flavour - we were well into the bottle of wine by then!). I can't remember exactly which dishes had touches like toasted barley and toasted buckwheat, but those were present too. Naturally, everything was beautifully presented.

There were two dishes I did not like that much: radishes with coal oil (which tasted to me like firelighters); and a salt-baked celeriac where the celeriac was both too salty, and too intense.

It was an amazing dining experience: really clever, creative, inventive food, that was also just delicious. Other than the two dishes which didn't work for me, everything tasted so drat good, but was also really light.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We don't have much of an itinerary or anything for London with the exception of:

2. Hanging out at Kew Gardens for at least half a day, as my fiance has a good friend who works there and is giving us a tour.

Otherwise I don't even know what we're going to do. We're not terribly into the touristy stuff.

Not sure we're really into one big blow out night, since it's at the end of our trip. But I'll take suggestions just in case we're still up to it.

If you are going to the British Museum, Soho and Fitzrovia are a five-to-ten-minute walk away and your best options for food. Koya is amazing and I highly recommend it - it's also on the right side of Soho for the museum. Cay Tre isn't far either, for decent Vietnamese. Dean Street Townhouse is swankier and pricier but has good food. There is a good Korean restaurant called Koba near the museum too; Han Kang likewise. Newman Arms has a nice little pie room if it is cold and/or you want an hearty meal. You are not far from Chinatwon either; I've heard good things about Bar Shu, and others have mentioned good places ITT. If you want a slightly pricier but excellent lunch, Arbutus does a very good three-course lunch for £20 - it's Michelin-starred (I think), so the food is good. Very near the museum in Brunswick Centre is Carluccio's, which is a chain but a decent one, for Italian.

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 18, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One thing to bear in mind is, that while the British Museum is absolutely chock full of some of the most amazing and varied artifacts from all over the world, and is undoubtedly the finest collection of such on the planet, the museum itself does have a maximum stuff attention span of about 3-4 hours. After that you're pretty much gliding from case to case through some sort of politeness coma where you just feel compelled to do so, without really taking in what you're looking at.

I'd suggest a long morning at the British Museum, possibly 9am to noon/1pm, and then do something much more engaging in the afternoon (starting with lunch at one of our many fine eateries).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

One thing to bear in mind is, that while the British Museum is absolutely chock full of some of the most amazing and varied artifacts from all over the world, and is undoubtedly the finest collection of such on the planet, the museum itself does have a maximum stuff attention span of about 3-4 hours. After that you're pretty much gliding from case to case through some sort of politeness coma where you just feel compelled to do so, without really taking in what you're looking at.

I'd suggest a long morning at the British Museum, possibly 9am to noon/1pm, and then do something much more engaging in the afternoon (starting with lunch at one of our many fine eateries).

I did a whole day at the Vatican museum and didn't even begin to lose interest in anything and had to go because they were closing. I have a fascination for museums.

Of course this is my honeymoon trip so if my better half doesn't feel the same way we'll take your advice and figure out another course of action.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I've been to London twice and been to the British Museum two visits each of those trips. I envy that you're going to get to see the Pompeii exhibit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, I saw that. Wondering how it will hold up to Pompeii itself. Will be nice to see some things up close.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

If you're looking forward to a particular exhibition, best to book tickets ahead of time. Pompeii in particular sometimes has a small allocation released but otherwise is sold out weeks in advance.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The Chinese porcelain room at the museum is amazing.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Not to derail too much, but if you can you should really, really get yourself to the Natural history museum (At least just see it form the outside, the building is stunning) and the National Gallery. The V&A, meh, not so much.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I used to work at the British Museum :) Getting to explore the basement tunnels was fun, and the storehouse that the BM shares with a couple of other museums out in residential W London was a real trip - artifacts, curios, stuff 'n tings just piled 10 feet high in an enormous building with Fort Knox-style security. Ah, good times!

On-topic: I had a couple of good burgs recently. One at Rotary, the new pop-up place near Old Street. Big basket of fries, good juicy burger. My friend had the fish burger and said it was excellent. About £17 per head with a Coke, I think. Also, the kimchi burgers at Kimchi Cult at the Black Heart are fab. The chicken thigh burger was incredibly tasty (though I'd recommend adding hot sauce) and the sharing plate of fries topped with kimchi, beef slices, spring onions... mmm, heaven. Think burgers are ~£8, the sides from £5ish. And of course the Black Heart serves some great beers, too (check out the bottle menu!) and plays good music and is generally the best pub in Camden.

I'm not as keen on the new Brewdog burger menu, though. I miss my Milwaukee :(

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Also the Tate Modern has a Roy Lichtenstein retrospective at the moment if that's your thing.

Thanks for the info on Polpo I'm tempted to try it out this weekend. It's a shame so many interesting places in Soho don't take bookings. I like to have things planned out.

Also I meant to post a while ago that I tracked down the Burger Bear stall at Harringay Market and it was the best burger all time, all my life. I think he normally is set up at Red Market. If you can check it out; a true five-star burger.

https://twitter.com/burgerbeartom

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Kimchi Cult at the Black Heart are fab. The chicken thigh burger was incredibly tasty (though I'd recommend adding hot sauce) and the sharing plate of fries topped with kimchi, beef slices, spring onions... mmm, heaven. Think burgers are ~£8, the sides from £5ish. And of course the Black Heart serves some great beers, too (check out the bottle menu!) and plays good music and is generally the best pub in Camden.

I'm not as keen on the new Brewdog burger menu, though. I miss my Milwaukee :(

I need to go to the Blackheart again, great pub..

They'll probably have forgotten they barred me by now, *ahem*

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Man, I've never even heard of the Blackheart, and I Camden used to be the only place we ever went to drink.

How long's it been open?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Has anyone been to John Salt in Angel? Any good?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

ineptmule posted:

Man, I've never even heard of the Blackheart, and I Camden used to be the only place we ever went to drink.

How long's it been open?

Since... last year maybe? It's about two minutes from the station - down the street round the back of the Natwest opposite the World's End. Has a dive bar vibe, a jukebox, pool table, booths, and a nice little gig venue upstairs. The toilets are hellish though. A small price to pay! Perfect for pre-/post-gig drinks.

F E Smith
Aug 15, 2006
And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground.
I finally got around to trying Bone Daddies, which was unfortunately a touch underwhelming after all of the hype. The soft shell crab starter was very good, but the fried chicken starter very ordinary. For the main, I tried the tonkotsu ramen, which was extremely rich and heavy in thickness/creaminess (perhaps too much so?), and equally unsubtle and one-dimensional in flavour. I didn't opt for the extra pipette of fat. The overall portion size was somewhat on the small side. It wasn't a bad meal, but I won't be hurrying back (and I certainly wouldn't queue for long). I suspect London is still slightly behind New York in the ramen scene, but I'll reserve judgment until I try Shoryu Ramen.

I decided to grab a bite in Soho yesterday evening with a couple of friends, and we headed to Burger & Lobster at around 7.45pm, only to be told that the wait for a table for 3 would be 2 hours(!). So we headed across the road to the Dean Street Townhouse, where we were immediately given a table. I'd been there for drinks before, but never a meal. The building/decor is lovely, but I must say I found the food fairly unexceptional (starter of beetroot cured salmon; main of Dover sole meuniere), if inoffensive (and probably overpriced).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Raffles posted:

Also I meant to post a while ago that I tracked down the Burger Bear stall at Harringay Market and it was the best burger all time, all my life. I think he normally is set up at Red Market. If you can check it out; a true five-star burger.

https://twitter.com/burgerbeartom

This is just the news I needed to get my arse into gear and get back to the market since I abandoned it when the weather turned lovely. Have you had chocolate from Life & Chocolate? It's loving divine, try the 87% dark stone ground bars if you haven't already.