Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

The Lord Bude posted:

The PC Specs list for Metro: Last Light has been released:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/340240,metro-last-light-pc-specs-revealed.aspx

Recommended specs are a gtx580 or 660.

Optimum spec is a gtx690 or gtx Titan.

Hello Next Gen. You're a tad late.

How the hell is this game coming out on the PS3 and 360 and not the PS4 and the next Xbox. :psyduck:

Those optimum reqs...Jesus Christ. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The funniest part is that they are probably basing those reqs on the assumption that people are gaming at 1080p

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I game at 1080p on a 660Ti. This game is going make my video card explode. :negative:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Here's an article showing the top 10 most important graphics cards.

Some... odd choices. 8800GTX instead of the GT? 5970 instead of 4870?

And of course the final one, the GTX Titan

I don't know, if I remember this right wasn't the 8800GT just a revision and die shrink that gave incremental improvement over the initial GTS/GTX (and landed between them in performance)? The GTX was the one that made a huge leap in features and performance and became what a serious card needed to match. I mean, the GT was out longer and sold more, but I can't argue with this any more than I can with the GeForce 256 being on there instead of the longer lived and better selling GeForce 2 that just built on it a little.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Killer robot posted:

I don't know, if I remember this right wasn't the 8800GT just a revision and die shrink that gave incremental improvement over the initial GTS/GTX (and landed between them in performance)? The GTX was the one that made a huge leap in features and performance and became what a serious card needed to match. I mean, the GT was out longer and sold more, but I can't argue with this any more than I can with the GeForce 256 being on there instead of the longer lived and better selling GeForce 2 that just built on it a little.

I was going more on the value offered by the 8800GT over the GTX. As you said the GT sold more. Everybody had one, hence why I felt it was overall more important.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

spasticColon posted:

How the hell is this game coming out on the PS3 and 360 and not the PS4 and the next Xbox. :psyduck:

There's no reason you would need all those specs whilst still being available on PS3 and 360 with their 7 year old GPUs.

What makes me laugh is the feeble RAM requirements! Start putting out 64-bit executables and use up RAM! RAM is cheap, Titans are not..

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Killer robot posted:

Right. I had a 8800GT and it lasted a long time, the 8800GTX was far less appealing at the time because it was the then equivalent of Fermi in terms of unreasonable TDP.

spasticColon posted:

Remember that Metro 2033's "Best" settings uses some prohibitively expensive AA, DoF and SSAO settings. Turning those off makes it playable in 2560x1600, for little to no loss of visual quality. I wouldn't be surprised if they pile up even more expensive PostFX this time around that can be turned off for massive performance gains.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Those optimium requirements are probably also taking 3d into account.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 18, 2013

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Don Lapre posted:

Those optimium requirements are probably also taking 3d into account.

Yeah Metro isn't that graphically impressive.
Just highly demanding for no good reason.

I do have this inkling that its very unoptimized.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah Metro isn't that graphically impressive.
Just highly demanding for no good reason.

I do have this inkling that its very unoptimized.
If you pay attention there's a lot of detailed shaders running. I don't know how optimized they are or if they made good decisions about what looks good enough to be worth the performance hit, but they are doing something.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

See if anything funny is running in task manager. Bitcoin miners can cause this.

Not that I can see. I ran evga's OCScanner stress test thing for quite a while and it had no artifacts or crashes. If it keeps up I will post a proper thread in the Haus. Thanks everyone.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Jan posted:

Remember that Metro 2033's "Best" settings uses some prohibitively expensive AA, DoF and SSAO settings. Turning those off makes it playable in 2560x1600, for little to no loss of visual quality. I wouldn't be surprised if they pile up even more expensive PostFX this time around that can be turned off for massive performance gains.

I really don't care about DoF and SSAO but I do want some AA because jaggies annoy the hell out of me. And since my monitor is only a 23" 1080p display I usually only need 2X MSAA to solve that problem in most games.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Honestly for AA I just force SMAA through RadeonPro. Allows me to stretch my 7950's legs without wasting it on more expensive forms of AA.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Honestly for AA I just force SMAA through RadeonPro. Allows me to stretch my 7950's legs without wasting it on more expensive forms of AA.

poo poo, why didn't I know about this already? You can even set up a toggle to see the performance impact and the difference in how it looks. Thanks!

Edit: drat, I've been wasting time on anything else. This is amazing, and with no impact discernible. Christ. I've used MLAA before but it mightily ballsed up text and sharp areas of contrast such as the HUD. This just.. doesn't seem to do that.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 18, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

poo poo, why didn't I know about this already? You can even set up a toggle to see the performance impact and the difference in how it looks. Thanks!

Edit: drat, I've been wasting time on anything else. This is amazing, and with no impact discernible. Christ. I've used MLAA before but it mightily ballsed up text and sharp areas of contrast such as the HUD. This just.. doesn't seem to do that.

Yep, its not 100% perfect, but easily good enough to hide anything obvious.

On this subject, I strongly urge anyone using an AMD card to use RadeonPro. Easy to set up and use, can do almost anything with it. The developer has been putting ambient inclusion into a bunch of games that don't support it (to varying success, takes some tweaking), plus it has dynamic Vsync, SweetFX integration, and the aforementioned SMAA and FXAA implementation. I've since abandoned installing CCC when updating drivers, and just use this instead.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
That sounds amazing. Is there an Nvidia equivalent?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

terre packet posted:

That sounds amazing. Is there an Nvidia equivalent?
nVidia Inspector.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You can actually do most of that for nvidia with the nvidia control panel, although it's a bit clunky.

Inspector is good if you have a 500 series or older card and dual monitors to keep your power state from being an idiot.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Dogen posted:

You can actually do most of that for nvidia with the nvidia control panel, although it's a bit clunky.

Clunky? Please. Remember that its competing equivalent is Catalyst Control Centre.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Exactly. I'd kill for Inspector if I was stuck with CCC.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
SweetFX has a stand-alone GUI that can create custom override profiles for every game independent of driver suites, I do believe.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HalloKitty posted:

It's much more GPU intensive than MLAA. SMAA is not a purely post-process filter: it does sub-pixel sampling similar to MSAA to preserve detail and some temporal supersampling. Think of SMAA as the potluck of anti-aliasing: it uses a little bit of everything and combines them together. High quality SMAA looks pretty good, but you wouldn't want to combine it with other AA techniques like you can with MSAA+MLAA (or MSAA+FXAA on nvidia).

I think the weakness of MLAA/FXAA is that they're serving two masters. They're a good supplement to MSAA for getting rid of obvious aliasing from specular lighting or other things that MSAA doesn't touch. But they're also a low-cost AA for modern inexpensive graphics cards that have plenty of shader power but less memory bandwidth and raster power. As a result they're a bit blurrier than they'd otherwise need to be.

And your issue with MLAA blurring text and such is because the game didn't have hints for the driver to not post-process those bits, either because it's old or made by people who didn't know how to do that. Most new-ish games don't have that issue. The loss of detail on regular textures still happens though.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

SweetFX has a stand-alone GUI that can create custom override profiles for every game independent of driver suites, I do believe.
Yes, sweetfx has a SMAA injector. It's a bit clunkier to use (see sweetfx configurator) but it also has all sorts of other post-process stuff ranging from nice to gimmicky.

Nvidia Inspector is cool but it doesn't have SMAA. That has to be done via some type of injection because it's not implemented in drivers (yet). I just grabbed RadeonPro, and it's running a background service that I guess is doing the injection.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Klyith posted:

It's much more GPU intensive than MLAA. SMAA is not a purely post-process filter

Yeah, I had a skim of the whitepaper, but I've tried it with RadeonPro, set a key to toggle on and off, and using the built in FPS counter, it doesn't seem to drop at all. I understand it's more intensive, but I guess on a half decent card, it blows through it in no time.

Edit: on a 6950 unlocked to 6970

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
The main reason I never use the SMAA Injector is because you can't use D3DOverrider at the same time with it. Does anyone know if RadeonPro allows you to turn on Triple Buffering and SMAA at the same time? Currently on Nvidia but that might change with a new build in the fall.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I used D3DOverrider forever. I switched to Adaptive V-Sync instead, much less hassle and I don't notice a difference at all. I don't see any tearing and I was very sensitive to that poo poo. Putting 'Maximum pre-rendered frames' to 1 will remove any mouse lag, too.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

kuddles posted:

The main reason I never use the SMAA Injector is because you can't use D3DOverrider at the same time with it. Does anyone know if RadeonPro allows you to turn on Triple Buffering and SMAA at the same time? Currently on Nvidia but that might change with a new build in the fall.

Well, right now I have it set to have SMAA at "Ultra" quality, and Dynamic V-sync at the same time, which forces triple buffering.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I used D3DOverrider forever. I switched to Adaptive V-Sync instead, much less hassle and I don't notice a difference at all. I don't see any tearing and I was very sensitive to that poo poo. Putting 'Maximum pre-rendered frames' to 1 will remove any mouse lag, too.

Adaptive Vsync is best thing ever. Using it on any demanding game like BF3, GTAIV and so on makes huge difference in FPS for me.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Huh. People keep saying this to me but when I try doing that, the screen still tears like crazy for me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kuddles posted:

Huh. People keep saying this to me but when I try doing that, the screen still tears like crazy for me.
You can still get tearing with adaptive vsync. When your current framerate is lower than your refresh rate it's like having no vsync at all. To get the most out of adaptive/dynamic vsync you really have to make sure you get your game settings producing FPS above your refresh rate for the bulk of frames. And if you are super-sensitive to tearing it still might not be for you.

To answer your original question: yes, radeonpro has an option in it's vsynch controls to force triple buffering. So you can have that and SMAA at the same time.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_x_12_101_2_1_april_16_download.html

AMD 13.x Beta driver is out. I highly recommend it. I jumped 15fps in Bioshock.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_x_12_101_2_1_april_16_download.html

Thanks, but you'd need to disable driver signature enforcement to run this.

This will likely be rolled into the 13.4 betas once AMD's done validating them anyways, so I'd personally rather wait on that rather than use a hack every boot to run a questionable driver package. If you're still running 32-bit windows (you shouldn't) it's probably worth a try.*

Edit: * Still don't.
VVVV

future ghost fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 22, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Must be a fluke. Straight from an AMD hardware rep (part of the driver team):

"These drivers are the 13.3 Beta with added support for the new 7790 ASIC. There's nothing special about them."

http://www.overclock.net/t/1383183/new-amd-ati-13-x-at-guru3d/40_40#post_19791585

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Must be a fluke. Straight from an AMD hardware rep (part of the driver team):

"These drivers are the 13.3 Beta with added support for the new 7790 ASIC. There's nothing special about them."

http://www.overclock.net/t/1383183/new-amd-ati-13-x-at-guru3d/40_40#post_19791585

This does not make sense. I've gone back back and forth between these, Beta 13.3, and Beta 13.2, and I am getting a major performance boost in all games with these comparatively.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

grumperfish posted:

Thanks, but you'd need to disable driver signature enforcement to run this.

This will likely be rolled into the 13.4 betas once AMD's done validating them anyways, so I'd personally rather wait on that rather than use a hack every boot to run a questionable driver package. If you're still running 32-bit windows (you shouldn't) it's probably worth a try.*

Edit: * Still don't.
VVVV

In what parallel universe do you need to do anything in particular to install beta graphics drivers? In seven years of owning my own PC running XP, then later vista and now windows 7 I have only ever installed beta drivers.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

This does not make sense. I've gone back back and forth between these, Beta 13.3, and Beta 13.2, and I am getting a major performance boost in all games with these comparatively.

I've heard similar things, but Thracks is part of the team. Personally I'm holding out until the 7990 drivers are out (presumably) on the 24th.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Lord Bude posted:

In what parallel universe do you need to do anything in particular to install beta graphics drivers? In seven years of owning my own PC running XP, then later vista and now windows 7 I have only ever installed beta drivers.
Beta drivers from nvidia/amd official site still get signed, though possibly not WHQL'ed. The stuff that gets put up on guru3d etc that are not, they're supposedly pre-betas or "internal testing" versions. There are three levels of driver signature enforcement: MS signed, vendor signed, and unsigned. And unless you've changed the default permissions windows will bitch at you for unsigned.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Klyith posted:

Beta drivers from nvidia/amd official site still get signed, though possibly not WHQL'ed. The stuff that gets put up on guru3d etc that are not, they're supposedly pre-betas or "internal testing" versions. There are three levels of driver signature enforcement: MS signed, vendor signed, and unsigned. And unless you've changed the default permissions windows will bitch at you for unsigned.
Yeah, this is what I was referring to. I use beta drivers frequently, but I wouldn't bother with unsigned drivers on x64.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Whether an AMD driver release is signed or not has pretty much no impact on it being a turd or not.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just to make sure I understand the present nvidia timeline, the next gen (supersede of Kepler) of GPUs won't be out until sometime in 2014, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
e: welp, wrong thread :suicide: