Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Centurium posted:

We cannot know the workings of the chili.

well put. transcendental object = X, in the final analysis, turns out to be Varsity Chili - that about which we can say nothing, but experience always in the most intimate of ways.

quote:

Local Three & Shoya

absolutely. these are on my regular monthly rotation, and I encourage anyone who hasn't tried either to go ASAP. I should probably update the OP, shouldn't I...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I loving love Shoya. And here's the super secret, too- It might look like you're intended to just order a bunch of appetizer stuff, but the entrees are also amazing. I've seen a lot of people hype up umaido in this thread for ramen, and they're good if you just want ramen and happen to be in Suwanee, but for my money Shoya's ramen is just as good if not better (I prefer Shoya's noodles)

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
I keep meaning to go to Local Three, especially since I love Muss & Turners so much. If any of you find yourself otp you should definitely check them out, by the way.

We have a tasting scheduled next week at Sun in My Belly, to potentially have them cater our wedding. Funnily enough we got that scheduled before we actually made it out to the restaurant to eat, but I've heard nothing but good things about them from everybody I've talked to. I'm thinking of just asking them to do a chefs choice of stuff that would be seasonal in Oct. Anyone else had their catering?

Also, is it customary to have the catering do the wedding cake as well? I figure I'll ask about their cake options next week, but if anyone has bakery suggestions I'd like to hear them. We're not going for anything too insane or ornate, I really just want it to be awesome and delicious.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Neena posted:

I keep meaning to go to Local Three, especially since I love Muss & Turners so much. If any of you find yourself otp you should definitely check them out, by the way.

We have a tasting scheduled next week at Sun in My Belly, to potentially have them cater our wedding. Funnily enough we got that scheduled before we actually made it out to the restaurant to eat, but I've heard nothing but good things about them from everybody I've talked to. I'm thinking of just asking them to do a chefs choice of stuff that would be seasonal in Oct. Anyone else had their catering?

Also, is it customary to have the catering do the wedding cake as well? I figure I'll ask about their cake options next week, but if anyone has bakery suggestions I'd like to hear them. We're not going for anything too insane or ornate, I really just want it to be awesome and delicious.

When I used a restaurant to cater my wedding (Taqueria del Sol) I used a separate bakery for the cake and there was no problem with that. They each have their specializations.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

signalnoise posted:

I loving love Shoya. And here's the super secret, too- It might look like you're intended to just order a bunch of appetizer stuff, but the entrees are also amazing. I've seen a lot of people hype up umaido in this thread for ramen, and they're good if you just want ramen and happen to be in Suwanee, but for my money Shoya's ramen is just as good if not better (I prefer Shoya's noodles)

Though ordering a ton of appetizers certainly is an option to consider; they have a ton of tasty stuff. Although be warned that doing so can easily run your wallet ragged. I don't know if it's still a thing there, but they used to have a mid-week special where you could get 10 takoyaki for 10 bucks if gorging on octopus balls sounds like something you'd like to do. Or I guess you could share them if you're weird or something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Went to Empire State South for cocktails last night, great experience, but this morning I realized I under tipped :ohdear: I hope they don't hold it against me until I see them next week.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Went to Empire State South for cocktails last night, great experience, but this morning I realized I under tipped :ohdear: I hope they don't hold it against me until I see them next week.

I got surprisingly drunk there tasting their whiskeys, luckily I wasn't paying. I was underwhelmed with my dinner but tasting others' dishes, I had severe food envy.

Landrobot, was a date picked for next week? No pressure, just planning my week.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, I finally arrived in Decatur, and I had a great lunch at the Brick Store Pub. Excellent recommendation! I have no idea when and where I'm going to have dinner tonight, but we have a lunch provided for us at my conference tomorrow, and then I'm meeting a group (of people I don't know) for dinner at the Square Pub.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

What's the best casual Vietnamese place on the NE side of Atlanta along 85?

Driving down from Charlotte, in shorts and a tshirt.

Is Pho Dai Loi #2 on Buford a good option?

Also willing to take "normal" Indian places, I've been easing the wife into it so it needs to serve chicken tikka masala and nan heh

crm fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 18, 2013

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
^^^^ yes, that's an excellent idea.

Neena posted:

Sun in My Belly is supposed to be a really good caterer, but I haven't used them personally. Their restaurant is in a neat part of Atlanta that, largely through economic troubles, has maintained a strong feeling of what the city used to be like before the 80's and major US city thing happened. Unfortunately, that means that the roads make no goddamn sense so be prepared for that.

I thought the food was tasty and well executed but it occupies that 'southern and local' space that's so overcrowded these days. I didn't find much to differentiate it and it was a bit on the pricey side for what it was. That said, it is at the top of that space in terms of tasty and while not as interesting as, say, Local Three, the location is very meet for the kind of food. I mostly go there when I want to experience a connection to my space. It makes a good date night that way. To their credit, they seem to take the local stuff pretty seriously and did a good job of pimping Georgia wines. That part made me happy.

The atmosphere is so hipster it hurts. The decoration screams of crafting and the music was like a compilation of most mentioned songs on NPR's all songs considered. I'm not the biggest fan of that kind of thing, but it wasn't really offensive because, like I mention, that seems about right for where and what they're doing.

As for cakes, the traditional thing is to have a separate bakery do the cake (in fact, few caterers are willing to take on wedding cakes). Keep in mind that wedding cakes walk a fine line between the pretty and the tasty. You need to find a bakery that gets the mix right for your tastes. For example, I think that fondant is a despicable lie and anathema to good food everywhere. Other people don't much care about what the outside tastes like, and love the fact that it's a cake taller than they are decorated like liberacci's piano. This is something you want to put effort into if the tastyness of the cake is a big deal to you. Also, that means going around eating a bunch of cakes, so who doesn't want to do that?

Now, keep in mind I could care less about pretty as long as my cake is delicious, but I'd suggest you check out:

The Rhodes Bakery. It's ancient and venerable, and their caramel icing is the best thing ever. It's pretty unique, so if you haven't tried it you should. They use a higher proportion of sugar and cook it to a higher temperature than most so that the result is much more solid than a buttercream. Actually, I'll be using them for my cake at our wedding. I'd get it anyway, but while the caramel isn't as solid as fondant and wouldn't do the ridiculous stuff you see on food network competition shows, you can use it to build a pretty cake.

The International Bakery. I'm actually no 100% sure that they have wedding cakes (of the big layery kind) but I'm pretty sure. I can tell you that they have really, really good cakes for pretty darn cheap. Also delicious tarts and cookies and baklava and they'll sell you phyllo dough (3 varieties!) Both Rhodes and IB are on cheshire bridge, so if I'm wrong and they don't have wedding cakes its still worth a 5 min detour to get baklava when you visit Rhodes.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

This thread is fantastic.

What's a good dessert type place? On Charlotte the goto place is Amelie's Bakery.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

crm posted:

What's the best casual Vietnamese place on the NE side of Atlanta along 85?

Driving down from Charlotte, in shorts and a tshirt.

Is Pho Dai Loi #2 on Buford a good option?

Pho Dai Loi #2 for pho is a good choice. Quoc Huong for banh mi. Quan Ba 9 (or Nam Phuong) for other Vietnamese.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Pho Dai Loi was outstanding.

http://i6.minus.com/ibhbcl1soJzczN.jpg

crm fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 19, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Neena posted:

I'm using restaurant eugene for my wedding catering in August - they didn't care one way or another about cake vendors. we met with local 3 about catering too, they didn't care either. they had potential vendors, but if you didn't want to use them, no problem.

my gal and I just got done doing cake tastings. we only tried 3 places, and I didn't know what to expect - but we walked in to 'Cake Hag', met the lovely ladies, had a few bites of cake and were like uh yeah this is 5x better than anyone else we've tried and 2x cheaper, so... we're using them. they have a little shop set up inside a church in grant park, and are really nice people. prices are low as heck. we're gonna do a lot of small cakes, should be fun and tasty.

edit : I have a moral and ethical hard line that precludes me from even remotely considering fondant on a cake though - so if you're looking for 12 tier perfect looking week old stale cake that tastes like cardboard with an unnatural layer of 'icing', please disregard my recommendation. :)

ugh fondant

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 19, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mindphlux posted:

ugh fondant

My girlfriend got way into cake decorating after I bought her a class at Michaels, and I will say that thinly rolled fondant on top of buttercream is actually kind of okay before its allowed to go stale.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Any recommendations on seafood that's not obscenely expensive that I can get 4 people into tonight?

Can't get into the optimist until late.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

crm posted:

Any recommendations on seafood that's not obscenely expensive that I can get 4 people into tonight?

I guess it depends on the kind of seafood you're after and your quality/price requirements? "Obscenely expensive" is a completely relative term, especially in this thread.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Zenzirouj posted:

I guess it depends on the kind of seafood you're after and your quality/price requirements? "Obscenely expensive" is a completely relative term, especially in this thread.

I have a "money is of no consequence" kinda dinner coming up. Any recommendations? It'll be in about a month. Not saying I want expensive for the sake of expensive, but I'd like quality non-steakhouse and I'm ok if it's really expensive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

crm posted:

Goin' Coastal, on North Highland. I would say $25/head with drinks. Quality can be hit or miss (I had a bad experience a year ago and haven't been back).

Harbor Bar and Fish House in Decatur. Marginally cheaper if you stay away from their specialty cocktails, a little less fancy. I liked it the last time I was there.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Omerta posted:

I have a "money is of no consequence" kinda dinner coming up. Any recommendations? It'll be in about a month. Not saying I want expensive for the sake of expensive, but I'd like quality non-steakhouse and I'm ok if it's really expensive.

I've heard the Optimist is really good for seafood. On another level, there's Bacchanalia, which is amazing but not specifically seafood. (Do Bacchanalia if money is no object.)

Also, thanks mindphlux and Centurium! I'm definitely gonna check those places out, I really appreciate the recs. And no, gently caress fondant forever :colbert: Well, I've actually had some cakes made with it that were okay, but I don't particularly want it on mine at all.

And I have to check out Cake Hag, absolutely love the name.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Neena posted:

On another level, there's Bacchanalia, which is amazing but not specifically seafood. (Do Bacchanalia if money is no object.)

Seconding Bacchanalia, it is indeed an amazing restaurant. I had dinner there for my birthday last December and it was spectacular; I'd say it was the second-best meal I've ever had. Well worth the price. Keep in mind that the pace of the meal is fairly slow, though, so make sure to plan for spending at least a couple of hours there.

Bonus: Ormsby's is right next door for some after-dinner (or before-dinner) bar fun, though it does get ridiculously crowded on Saturday nights.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Went to Antico's for lunch. Wasn't even particularly hungry.

Freaking amazing, we ended up destroying a pizza and a calzone.

Doing Vortex and Local Three tomorrow.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Had dinner at the Square Pub in Decatur tonight. I had all five of their different tacos, which I justified by not having anything to drink. All very good, especially the fish taco and the barbecue pork taco with cole slaw.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh holy frig Burgerfi in Emory Pointe. It's basically Farm Burger as done by Apple.

I had dinner with the girlfriend there because it just opened and neither of us felt like cooking. I've been spending the last hour trying to decided if it's hyperbole to call that the best plain cheeseburger I've had in my life. Seriously, the patty was perfectly beef flavored, and had an awesome texture. It was on the thin side, so no point in asking for a specific doneness. The "cheese" is American. The bun is tasty, toasted, and, strangely enough, branded (like you brand cattle) with "BURGERFI". Add lettuce, mustard, mayo, tomato, and pickles, and it's the Ur-burger. No nonsense, nothing special, not too thick, just a cheeseburger as God and Ray Kroc intended.

The plain fries are their weak point. Like Five Guys fries, without seasoning. They were serviceable with some salt and pepper, but really really nothing to write home about.

They have frozen custard and milkshakes, which were really good. The next time I go back, I'm going to skip fries and onion rings, and just get a burger and a shake.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
BurgerFi is a new chain from Florida. I've been several times in Orlando, but never had the awe-inspiring experience you described. It is like a cross between Five Guys and Shake Shack with In n Out touches. Onion rings are much better than the fries, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 20, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Maybe I'm over-selling it. I liked it better than Holeman and Finch's burger, and the price was on-par with Five Guys. I'll be eating there again.

kontona
May 3, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe I'm over-selling it. I liked it better than Holeman and Finch's burger, and the price was on-par with Five Guys. I'll be eating there again.

going to try burgerfi today.

brilliant move with the branding of the bun. basically free advertising with the way every asian everybody is instagramming and posting food pictures on facebook.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Today I tried The Varsity at the airport, since I had a few hours to kill before my afternoon flight. I'm so glad I did, because it was awesome. I got the combo with the chili cheeseburger, chili cheese dog, onion rings, and upgraded to the frosted orange. All kicked rear end, and luckily I didn't have any gastrointestinal distress until I arrived safely at home!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Omerta posted:

If it were me, I'd probably go with Antica Caposta.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
CHAI PANI DINNER is on, this Thursday (April 25th) at 8:30pm. Meet either in the lobby area or Bar area. I'll get there a little early to secure our table, depending on how many of us are going, we'll probably just grab all the tables in the bar area. It should be pretty easy to spot all of us goons. Head chef Daniel Peach will come out and meet with us and maybe join us for some food if it's not too busy. Depending if the other owners are there, they will do a meet and greet as well. I'll probably grab an entire round of random appetizers for everyone, maybe some drinks too (I have random food credit to use up). Bring a friend or lady-friend as well. Should be a fun time! PM me if you have any questions or such.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Woohoo! Do you need some form of official RSVP? If so, count me in + a lady friend pretty please.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

Safety Dance posted:

Woohoo! Do you need some form of official RSVP? If so, count me in + a lady friend pretty please.

Everyone post here who's going, so I can get a head count. This is pretty informal and probably won't be more than 12 people anyways. But if it's bigger, that's cool too! There may be a little bit of a wait for our table(s) after 8:30pm, but I can pull some strings to speed that up, only if it's slammed with a line out the door. Otherwise, we're good.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
I will be there.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
I'm in! Just me, since I don't think my fiancé will be able to make it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm planning on going. Thanks for setting this up!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
At this time, I plan to go, but I have a project due Friday, so I may have to work late Thursday night and miss it. It is too early to tell at this point.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I'm in!

kontona
May 3, 2003

i'm in +1.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Most likely in +1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU