Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Does corsair post on any of those? Yeah, didn't think so. Next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
This just showed up in the GIF thread:

Australian with an Australorp :australia:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Australian with an Australorp :australia:

And this is why one must use proper chicken-holding techniques. Or you end up being swatted or clawed in the face. :D

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

At this point I'm on the lookout for a Polish or Cochin rooster locally. You know, cause they're so extraordinary looking. :3:

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
I just watched a chicken documentary and there was this lady who made a diaper like thing for her chicken that lived in her house. Thoughts? I might want to do this.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I saw that one. That lady's f'ing batty.

If you really want to keep a chicken indoors, you can do it pretty easily with a pair of Seramas or Mille Fleur d'Uccles. I would still do as big an enclosure as possible - I think 5' x 3' x 3', minimally.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

I love how the guy in the GIF runs away with his hands in the air. The roo bided his time and bitch slapped him perfectly. Link to the original vid?

Tricky Twisty posted:

I just watched a chicken documentary and there was this lady who made a diaper like thing for her chicken that lived in her house. Thoughts? I might want to do this.

'The Natural History of the Chicken' from PBS. Good show that shows all kinds of viewpoints. But yeah, the lady with the all-red house with the Silkie roo she dotes on is WEIRD. The end of that video is the best, with the guy reading the story he wrote about his Silkie broody hen and how she taught him a life lesson. Very sweet and he reads it well. :)

I've had to diaper chickens short-term that were confined to the house in order to recover from injuries or illness, but I'd never have a bird wear one for an extended period on a regular basis if I didn't have to. When it was too cold to put the young chicks outside last year I confined them to one room and covered the floor, and that was a hellish mess. That's the big reason I've delayed Chickam for almost a month this time, I don't want to have to DO that again!

But lots of people do have house chickens. Mine just kind of wander in the back door if I leave it open and poop everywhere. :gonk:

Edit: BTW, I've offered the kindergarteners in Georgia the opportunity to name another chick this year. :)

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 17, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

One of the 1st batch eggs, #24 (a d'Uccle egg) peeped at 12_String when he talked to them this morning. I got an excited wiggle out of the same egg when I talked to them this morning.

I have a horrid suspicion that the d'Uccles may hold true to form and hatch early, little buggers.

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT
I passed the Chickam link to my oldest daughter's teacher, she's in kindergarten. So, you may have another class watching this year. :) Her teacher seemed very interested - they ran an incubator in their classroom, but the chicks hatched over the weekend and they didn't get to see it happen. :( The kids are REALLY into the chicks and the whole process, it's great.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Frilled Lizard posted:

I passed the Chickam link to my oldest daughter's teacher, she's in kindergarten. So, you may have another class watching this year. :) Her teacher seemed very interested - they ran an incubator in their classroom, but the chicks hatched over the weekend and they didn't get to see it happen. :( The kids are REALLY into the chicks and the whole process, it's great.

VS usually records a few videos of hatching chicks and posts them on the streaming web site. If I can, I plan to record video clips as well and post them to Youtube. :)

Yay! Chickam! :dance:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

We're ready! :v:

Brooder box Club Flamingo on the left, the two incubators up on the island.

The mini-frig on the right is the ReptiPro incubator, the old styro incubator beside it will be used to allow the chicks to dry & get strong after they hatch, if needed. I figured it would be wise to have the styro one ready since this is the first time we've used the ReptiPro. After everyone hatches, at night we'll bring in a broody hen, turn the lights off so it's dark, stuff the chicks under her and by morning, if all goes well, she'll have accepted them as hers.

These are the first group due Saturday. The eggs on the racks above are due in two weeks if all goes well. The weird concentric rings are the marks I made tracking the air cell progress, it helps you to tell if the eggs are on track during the incubation period.

#24 & 25 (all the numbers ended up upside-down, sorry. Turn your monitor over and they look great!) are Belgian d'Uccle eggs from our flock, they are the most active so far. The shot glass holds water to keep the humidity at the right level, a small hygrometer is on the left. The upper racks have their own thermometer & hygrometer. The ReptiPro is pretty damned good about naturally holding humidity on the bottom a bit higher than in the upper area, so staggered hatches like this are possible.

#1 and #14, both on the left, I suspect have quit but I've leaving them in just in case. The cam will be mounted to the front of the glass door in such a way that we can open and close the incubator door and it won't fall off or some damned thing.

We will be testing the cam today/tonight/tomorrow to make sure everything works in all levels of light.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Superb! :dance:

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
A new crop of Kindergarteners are ready for Chickam. The first graders still talk about Rose.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I hate to ask, but what is the url for the cam? The Cosmo kittens are going to their new homes on the 20th, so I need a new cam.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

SpannerX posted:

I hate to ask, but what is the url for the cam? The Cosmo kittens are going to their new homes on the 20th, so I need a new cam.

https://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008 for the Chick stream, wont be up until VS notices the chicks hatching :D

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

JimBobDole posted:

A new crop of Kindergarteners are ready for Chickam. The first graders still talk about Rose.

The new kinder kids will have to vote on a name, they get to name one of the chicks. :) There will be a pop-out screen that will show just the picture, no chat--it should be great for kids since chat can get more than it's fair share of language, plus idiots sometimes come in and post innappropriate BS before we can ban them. Here is the link for the kids:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008/pop-out

We tested the cam last night in nighttime lighting conditions, we'll be doing the same today for daylight. Had some audio bugs last night that 12_String ironed out, and the stream worked fine while I played Halo 4, so our Internet connection can handle it. :v:

I got a plaintive, bored-sounding 'PEEP!' out of egg #25 about half an hour ago. :keke:

Edit: Frilled Lizard, awesome! Great to have more schools watching, I know hatching chicks is very big in Kindergartens!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The new kinder kids will have to vote on a name, they get to name one of the chicks. :) There will be a pop-out screen that will show just the picture, no chat--it should be great for kids since chat can get more than it's fair share of language, plus idiots sometimes come in and post innappropriate BS before we can ban them. Here is the link for the kids:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008/pop-out

We tested the cam last night in nighttime lighting conditions, we'll be doing the same today for daylight. Had some audio bugs last night that 12_String ironed out, and the stream worked fine while I played Halo 4, so our Internet connection can handle it. :v:

I got a plaintive, bored-sounding 'PEEP!' out of egg #25 about half an hour ago. :keke:

Edit: Frilled Lizard, awesome! Great to have more schools watching, I know hatching chicks is very big in Kindergartens!

I'm so excited to meet the new kids. Do you think some might make their debut early?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

WE HAVE A PIP! #25, one of our Belgain d'Uccle eggs--the same one that has been peeping at us--has a small pip!

None of the others is doing anything yet, and this little guy is early, so I'm hoping it waits at least till tomorrow to hatch if it insists on being early.

Actual due date of hatch is Saturday around 7AM, which would be 21 days exactly. I'm not going to start the Chickam thread in GBS just yet since this chick may well not do a damned thing for another day or so. If other eggs start to pip and look active enough to be interesting, I'll go ahead and start the thread & cam. So NO CAM YET, guys!

But yeah, chickinzzzz! :woop:

Fake edit: luloo123, you hexed us! :aaa:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

WE HAVE A PIP! #25, one of our Belgain d'Uccle eggs--the same one that has been peeping at us--has a small pip!

None of the others is doing anything yet, and this little guy is early, so I'm hoping it waits at least till tomorrow to hatch if it insists on being early.

Actual due date of hatch is Saturday around 7AM, which would be 21 days exactly. I'm not going to start the Chickam thread in GBS just yet since this chick may well not do a damned thing for another day or so. If other eggs start to pip and look active enough to be interesting, I'll go ahead and start the thread & cam. So NO CAM YET, guys!

But yeah, chickinzzzz! :woop:

HOORAY!! Thank you for the update VS!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Peep-peep hooray!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

You guys are the first to know.

A sneak-peep, as it were. :v:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Well after being in pain all god drat day, that's great news! Just the peep-me-up I needed! :v:

Also I don't know why I never thought of it, but the idea of a chick peeping from inside the egg blew my god damned mind. Now that I think about it it makes perfect sense, but for some reason I just always thought they were silent until they hatched for some reason. :iiam:

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

You guys are the first to know.

A sneak-peep, as it were. :v:

Wow, I am extremely excited for Chickam. Watching the little chicks roll around and stomp each other got me through law school, so I'm very grateful!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Bash Ironfist posted:

Well after being in pain all god drat day, that's great news! Just the peep-me-up I needed! :v:

Also I don't know why I never thought of it, but the idea of a chick peeping from inside the egg blew my god damned mind. Now that I think about it it makes perfect sense, but for some reason I just always thought they were silent until they hatched for some reason. :iiam:

A lot of birds talk to their egg babies and the egg babies talk back :keke: Some of them even give each other unique "names". So cute~

I have given the link to my mother so her class can look at chicken babies too. They're not learning about life cycles at the moment but they were last term so it should still be fresh in their tiny brains. They got to raise mealworms! Yay, outsourcing.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
:neckbeard: Yayyy. How are you doing name submissions this year? Names in a hat again?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

OK, Chickam thread in GBS started, even though not much is going on yet, holy Christ the world is going batshit and I think we need it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544925

Sorry I hijacked the chicken thread. :(

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Oops. I do tend to do that, don't I. I'm glad the little chickie is doing well. I hope it isn't too long until she has company.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

If the other chicks don't hatch until tomorrow, will that much of a lead time make a big difference in their development? Like will #25 be way ahead of the others for a while?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I turn on the camera and it's all hmm, eggs. I don't see anything going on...then in the very back middle a litle chick pops up from the pile of eggs. :neckbeard:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Greycious posted:

I turn on the camera and it's all hmm, eggs. I don't see anything going on...then in the very back middle a litle chick pops up from the pile of eggs. :neckbeard:

Yep, hatched about eight hours ago, and promptly wriggled to the back by the fan. I've been checking in throughout the day (night there, of course) and nobody else seems to be doing much, so maybe #25 will be our only early bird this year.

Edit: My husband just got back from the Friday Market in downtown Kuwait City, and he took a bunch of pictures of chickens they had for sale there. A bunch of the chicks were dyed bright colors, like you see around Easter back home sometimes. Once he gets them off his camera I'll try to upload some - he got a picture of a really interesting rooster, among others.

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 19, 2013

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Greycious posted:

It has feathery feet too!

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
wow!

He has really fluffed out since I last looked 2 hours ago!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Here, have some Friday Market pics!

Multicolored chickies:

I hope the dye isn't bad for them :ohdear:

There were also ducklings:

And this little dinosaur:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

I hope the dye isn't bad for them :ohdear:

It's injected into the egg when they're developing. It kills a lot of them. Most countries don't dye live chicks. I saw them all over the place at the festivals in Japan and a lot of animal rights groups are really outspoken about not supporting it. But if the chick still hatches, nah, it shouldn't bother them.

Are they just slinging chicks in those paper bags?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Yeah, apparently they were selling them in paper sacks, or you could pay a little extra to take one home in a birdcage :psyduck:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
#27 on Chickam is beginning to bust out!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Where do you live? Those are some drat bright chicks!

Love the long-legged chicken-dino. I bet this one is impossible to catch!

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

One of my eggs just pipped under my broody! An olive egg. This is my first time hatching chicks so I'm super excited. It's peeping in the egg! Too bad it's really late, I'm going to sleep and when I wake up (hopefully) chicks and chick pics.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Inveigle posted:

Where do you live? Those are some drat bright chicks!

Love the long-legged chicken-dino. I bet this one is impossible to catch!

I live in Virginia, but I'm in Kuwait right now for work.

My husband said all the chicks and adults were in pens and cages except that rooster, who was very angrily stalking around the market. I wonder if he escaped at some point and is just too mean for anyone to want to mess with him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
VS,

Have you had any problems with your Reptipro getting 1 degree hotter than your set temperature?
The heating fan cuts off at the target temp, but then the darn thing warms up one degree more shortly after. This is frustrating because the Reptipro doesn't start warming up till it's 3 degrees cooler than the target temp. With this problem of getting one degree hotter, I now have a variation of 4 degrees!

I haven't yet measured this with an add-on thermometer though, just with the digital display. The fluctuation might not be that bad once measured with another thermometer, but I just wanted to know if you had this same problem.