Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I guess I just don't understand why you'd want a summary of an anime you don't intend to watch, or a manga you don't intend to read. Apologies if I'm mistaken about your intent.

It probably doesn't help that the manga isn't anywhere close to over, and that the anime will probably have an original ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dan7el posted:

I don't understand why people don't live underground or habitats that are tightly enclosed with small tunnels. I can understand the need to farm, but that doesn't mean they need to build regular houses too. Maybe the 100 year peace made them slack? The art is okay, but Eren's expression seems to never change. At least I can tell, for the most part, what a page or scene is about -- unlike many other mangas. The creepy titans make it. Its cool how they vary in size from just barely superhuman to ginormous.

I don't see how they could build something like that, but it really would make sense for all the towns to have some sort of backup escape tunnels or shelters or something.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daler Mehndi posted:

I guess I just don't understand why you'd want a summary of an anime you don't intend to watch, or a manga you don't intend to read. Apologies if I'm mistaken about your intent.

It probably doesn't help that the manga isn't anywhere close to over, and that the anime will probably have an original ending.

Because I find the whole thing with the giants, their origin, their motives etc. interesting but im gonna kill myself if I ever have to see any of the characters ever again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
We still don't know their origins or motivations. Everything on those fronts we've got is speculation.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

PotU posted:

Because I find the whole thing with the giants, their origin, their motives etc. interesting but im gonna kill myself if I ever have to see any of the characters ever again.

This is the dumbest god drat thing. You're missing out on a pretty excellent manga.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, that's pretty much all I needed to know, guess I'll just check back in once the show or the manga is done.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

PotU posted:

Well, that's pretty much all I needed to know, guess I'll just check back in once the show or the manga is done.

Have you looked at the newer chapters of the manga? The art does get better. Just give it a shot! I think you miss a lot of the experience when you just read a distilled summary from a secondary source. It's like saying reading a summary of a vacation overseas is as good as taking the trip.

Also, there's been good cosplay of the manga ever since the first volume was released. The Japanese was pretty quick because it was so popular over there!

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

PotU posted:

You're making it sound like there's even remotely a chance the manga will somehow end before the anime. Enjoy your original anime ending I guess.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Just read the entire thing to date in one sitting. Oh my god this is so good.

Mio Bison posted:

Still holding out for Exposition Fairy Eren to remember the real secret weakness of the Armored Titan.
Reposting this just in case it got missed..

Uncle Khasim fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 18, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dan7el posted:

I don't understand why people don't live underground or habitats that are tightly enclosed with small tunnels. I can understand the need to farm, but that doesn't mean they need to build regular houses too. Maybe the 100 year peace made them slack? The art is okay, but Eren's expression seems to never change. At least I can tell, for the most part, what a page or scene is about -- unlike many other mangas. The creepy titans make it. Its cool how they vary in size from just barely superhuman to ginormous.

Because the walls worked fine and they'd be in the same situation if they had been burrowed underground. Some intelligent Titians set out to break the walls and they'd have set out to breach the tunnels.

Plus being underground with a bunch of giants tunneling their way down to get you is probably an even more terrifying way to live then behind the walls where you can at least see them coming most of the time. Jesus just thinking about it is loving terrifying waiting for the day a giant hand crashes through the ceiling to pull you up to a hungry waiting mouth knowing everyone around you and maybe everyone you know is going to be crushed or suffocate from the tunnel collapsing.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

You can't live underground because that's how you get Morlochs. Come on people, THINK.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

Because the walls worked fine and they'd be in the same situation if they had been burrowed underground. Some intelligent Titians set out to break the walls and they'd have set out to breach the tunnels.

Plus being underground with a bunch of giants tunneling their way down to get you is probably an even more terrifying way to live then behind the walls where you can at least see them coming most of the time. Jesus just thinking about it is loving terrifying waiting for the day a giant hand crashes through the ceiling to pull you up to a hungry waiting mouth knowing everyone around you and maybe everyone you know is going to be crushed or suffocate from the tunnel collapsing.

Titans need sunlight for energy, remember. They'd have to tunnel in the span of an hour or two, tops. Three hours and they're definitely down for the count even without strenuous digging activity.

EDIT:
By the way, has there been any discussion as to what Mikasa is? She's obviously not a 'vanilla' human, but probably not a Titan, either.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 19, 2013

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Folks. I'm talking about tunnels that are about six feet high and just a few feet wide dug straight out of solid rock. Maybe into some rock mountain or in some thick bedrock. Granted, this condition might not exist, but it would seem to me that tunneling would be an ideal solution. Your smallest Titan is the three-meter class, so they'd have a very difficult time moving around. The larger Titans wouldn't be able to follow people at all, and I doubt they'd have the ability to dig through the solid rock with any kind of ease at all. They didn't penetrate the wall, right?

You could even simulate the bedrock with solid tunnels built out of the material they used for the wall -- dug into the ground. I'm talking unlimited rabbit holes within rabbit holes. Sure the walls worked for 100 years, but the tunnels would be an ideal starter/backup solution.

Doesn't really matter. The story is more interesting with people living "out in the open" in mere wooden structures that are easily demolished by a 15-meter class Titan. Loads of ready-to-eat meals just sitting there, waiting to be devoured.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Dan7el posted:

Folks. I'm talking about tunnels that are about six feet high and just a few feet wide dug straight out of solid rock. Maybe into some rock mountain or in some thick bedrock. Granted, this condition might not exist, but it would seem to me that tunneling would be an ideal solution. Your smallest Titan is the three-meter class, so they'd have a very difficult time moving around. The larger Titans wouldn't be able to follow people at all, and I doubt they'd have the ability to dig through the solid rock with any kind of ease at all. They didn't penetrate the wall, right?

It would be a hell of a lot more work than just building walls, especially if the main component of walls is human-titans. It also wouldn't defend any specific locations so farmland would be effectively unavailable. Wouldn't be surprised if there are secret tunnels or priest-holes, though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dan7el posted:

The larger Titans wouldn't be able to follow people at all, and I doubt they'd have the ability to dig through the solid rock with any kind of ease at all. They didn't penetrate the wall, right?
The wall was, umm... reinforced. With Titans.

Also, people need to eat. So they need farms. So they need to live on the surface. If you're asking why they didn't have military grade bunkers underneath their farms... no one thought the walls could ever fall, so they weren't going to bother. And honestly, if their walls did fall, and there were titans in the fields... you couldn't farm anyway, so you'd be just as hosed.

Not to mention carving out tunnels for however many tens of thousands of people to live in is... really god drat hard. You can't just do that at a whim.

It's a kind of silly idea, to be honest. Not that miles and miles of giant loving walls aren't silly in their own way, engineering-wise, but it does look like there's a good excuse for them at least.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

EDIT:
By the way, has there been any discussion as to what Mikasa is? She's obviously not a 'vanilla' human, but probably not a Titan, either.

Really? I don't think there's been any indication she is anything but a regular human. She's just really really talented.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

She's supposed to be the last Asian or something. Although the manga spends like one frame on that and a bunch of frames on the murder of her parents and her kidnapping. I'd say its mostly her desire to survive and protect Eren, but whatevs. She's just good.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
She's the most talented of her class, but she's probably not the most talented overall; after all, Rivalle himself is REALLY drat talented too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zorak posted:

She's the most talented of her class, but she's probably not the most talented overall; after all, Rivalle himself is REALLY drat talented too.

I think Rivalle is only (possibly) better than her just because he has a lot more experience, she become the strongest human soon.

So yeah, I do think there's something special about her.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I think it would make Mikasa less interesting if she were anything more than human.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
She also shattered the floorboards lunging at a guy when she was 9.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if there were something up with Mikasa (I think there was some speculation earlier that Dr. Jaeger had been experimenting on her?), but I kinda hope the answer ends up being that Mikasa is just super cool.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 19, 2013

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were something up with Mikasa (I think there was some speculation earlier that Dr. Jaeger had been experimenting on her?), but I kinda hope the answer just ends up being that Mikasa is just super cool.
Well, didn't Dr. Jaeger visit her family on a semi-regular basis before the murders? I was thinking the same thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's probably just the working of the Inverse Ninja Law. Mikasa is the last, and thus the greatest.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I do think there's something up with Sasha though. This doesn't seem like the kind of manga to use this as a gag.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I dunno. Sasha's been practically the only comic relief in an otherwise unrelentingly bleak series. It's entirely possible that yeah, she's a titan and will eat everyone, but I don't really see that happening. Even for this series that'd be too depressing.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
So I'm scratching my head why Reiner thought it'd be a good idea to blow his cover like that? A little jarring in an otherwise good story.

:iamafag: Hey Eren! I'm the Armored Titan and this is my buddy the Colossus, we totally caused the death of hundreds of your comrades but we'll totally stop bro if you come with us to our secret lair.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Toadsniff posted:

:iamafag: Hey Eren! I'm the Armored Titan and this is my buddy the Colossus, we totally caused the death of hundreds of your comrades but we'll totally stop bro if you come with us to our secret lair.

Plus thousands and thousands of civilians. Including your mother.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

RatHat posted:

I do think there's something up with Sasha though. This doesn't seem like the kind of manga to use this as a gag.

Dude, it's Sasha. Sasha is awesome is all that's up with Sasha

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Toadsniff posted:

So I'm scratching my head why Reiner thought it'd be a good idea to blow his cover like that? A little jarring in an otherwise good story.

He was in a ton of pain and also under a ton of pressure because he knew the moment his wound started steaming the ruse was up. It's very possible, even probable that he wasn't thinking clearly. Notice Bertholdt looking at him like "Dude, what the hell are you doing." I don't think it was a planned move.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 19, 2013

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

AxeBreaker posted:

She's supposed to be the last Asian or something. Although the manga spends like one frame on that and a bunch of frames on the murder of her parents and her kidnapping. I'd say its mostly her desire to survive and protect Eren, but whatevs. She's just good.

RatHat posted:

Really? I don't think there's been any indication she is anything but a regular human. She's just really really talented.

Cake Attack posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were something up with Mikasa (I think there was some speculation earlier that Dr. Jaeger had been experimenting on her?), but I kinda hope the answer ends up being that Mikasa is just super cool.
Nobody thought this was suspicious?

Given the way this series foreshadows, that looks like a huge clue. Also, given this, it seems clear that there's a strong possibility that whole titan situation could have been manmade due to genetic hijinks.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 19, 2013

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Vincent Valentine posted:

You can't live underground because that's how you get Morlochs. Come on people, THINK.

This manga is depressing enough it doesnt need to go to russian lit levels of depressing like metro 2033.

edit: Though now that I think about it the metro 2033's ending(novel) would prolly be the most soul crushing ending to a show.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 19, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zorak posted:

Speaking of Rivaille, seems like he was voted the most popular character in Shingeki no Kyojin's first character poll:

I don't have the pages for the remaining places, but the website where I found this says that the top 10 characters were as follows:

01. Rivaille (3952)
02. Eren (2244)
03. Mikasa (2232)
04. Sasha (818)
05. Christa (664)
06. Annie (452)
07. Hanji (388)
08. Reiner (348)
09. Jean (310)
10. Armin (290)

I'm glad to see Sasha is so high up in the rankings. :3:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ah, Kyojin's sizable fujoshi fanbase shows its power.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/6247/shingeki-no-kyojin_v2_ch9_by_gantz-waitingroom/25

Just re-read this, and Annie and Reiner are the two advocating for rescuing the cannibalized Eren-Titan. Is there like, a big list of all these little hints anywhere?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^^ This guy on the Mangafox forums has most of them. And he nails the identities of the Armored and Colossal Titans like a year before they were revealed too.

By the way, for all of you guys saying how they should've built tunnels look at This. Looks like they DID try to build underground cities but abandoned them for whatever reason.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 20, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Titans need sunlight for energy, remember. They'd have to tunnel in the span of an hour or two, tops. Three hours and they're definitely down for the count even without strenuous digging activity.

Intelligent Titians could excavate sections of the tunnels, using armored Titians to dig through the rock. You'd still run into the occasional Titian breach where sure only one or two people get eaten but you have a dozen Titians digging one hole and compromising the structure and burying everyone else alive.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

JosephWongKS posted:

Of course Sasha is going to rank high. She is the bendy bit of a bees leg.

But on a less Sasha is awesome note, I just caught up with this series and drat, it's rather good, isn't it? For all the comments about the roughness of the art, the mangaka gets a great sense of movement in his work at times. For a first series this dude is really hitting it out the park. You can tell he's put a lot of thought into this. Shame he'll never get to have Mikasa all MMA'd up for one of his covers. "Doesn't fit the setting." Keep on trying, they'll have to say yes one day.

Sasha!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Also it's been heavily hinted that the manned-Titans are connected to the leadership of the government, so there's a control issue if they move everyone underground as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

01. Rivaille (3952)
02. Eren (2244)
03. Mikasa (2232)
04. Sasha (818)
05. Christa (664)
06. Annie (452)
07. Hanji (388)
08. Reiner (348)
09. Jean (310)
10. Armin (290)

Me too, but also glad to see Armin relatively low. This series is pretty good on subverting stereotypes, but Armin still hasn't completely shed his 'bookish, effeminate sidekick' baggage yet.