Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The FBI already admitted that they did talk to the older brother a few years back and didn't find anything substantial to either continue questioning him or outright arrest him. Lots of people are gonna' second-guess the FBI over that.

What? Source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
One of the things I keep going over in my head is how stupid I was at 19. 14 years later it becomes readily apparent.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

sluggo is mad posted:

http://www.abc6.com/story/22028023/wife-of-terror-suspect-from-north-kingtown

I'm guessing it's the woman with him in the pictures of the boxing gym? I didn't catch that either.

e: trying to find cached link to boxing gym photos. The original link was taken down.

This same article says both of the brothers were from Chechnya, which is untrue.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Volume posted:

What? Source?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/boston-suspects-no-links/index.html

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011
Oh, gently caress this bullshit. (Politicians calling for halts on proposed immigration reform.)

http://tinyurl.com/cu5v7wq

I mean what exactly can they do? They already give medicals to everyone entering the country, they already stigmatize anyone with mental health issues at any point in their lifetime. They already force anyone like this to pay for a private psych.

What do they expect? Enforced psych exams now on everyone? Do they expect people to say "yes sir I have homicidal tendencies towards US citizens."

If people who have such tendencies want to get into the USA, they will bluff and lie their way in. They WILL get in. No amount of enhanced screening will stop them, because we don't have the technology to read minds. All it will do is cause more expense, more delay for those with legitimate reasons to come here, and more refusals for those with mild psych issues (none of whom have caused any trouble outside 2 kids, yes kids who entered the USA as CHILDREN and most likely had their fanaticism inspired as a result of living here.)

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
Didn't see this posted yet: The uncle of the perpetrators speaks out. He seems like a decent sort, unlike a lot of the reporters.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Volume posted:

What? Source?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57580534/fbi-interviewed-dead-boston-bombing-suspect-years-ago/

e: f,b

e2: But it's not a CNN article!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The FBI already admitted that they did talk to the older brother a few years back and didn't find anything substantial to either continue questioning him or outright arrest him. Lots of people are gonna' second-guess the FBI over that.

What's the point of second guessing them? They found nothing of substance so could not continue their surveillance. The guy wasn't reaching out to any established terrorist organizations. I am however wondering what it was that brought him to their attention in the first place.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It may be opening up a can of worms, but they've bee focused on the bombs etc.. but what type of weapons were they firing 200 rounds in a couple secs sound like a loving lot. Or was that just the police + them. PLease I am not starting a gun debate just curious.

I mean seriously that's loving crazy amount of rounds fired in a couple of minutes.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Any confirmation he was armed in the boat?

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The FBI already admitted that they did talk to the older brother a few years back and didn't find anything substantial

well then

(I realize you C2C are not the idiot here, but it frustrates me to no end that there are people who will conclude that it is open and shut because of this... Last night the guy was throwing grenades at cop cars, that's substantial to me no matter what he was or wasn't doing "a few years back")

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Crasscrab posted:

What's the point of second guessing them? They found nothing of substance so could not continue their surveillance. They guy wasn't reaching out to any established terrorist organizations. I am however wondering what it was that brought him to their attention in the first place.

Sure, you & I might be satisfied that the FBI did its due diligence. But, c'mon...you know there are gonna' be a ton of people who will think they didn't do enough, then politicize the issue by dragging President Obama into the fray.

Psiharis posted:

well then

(I realize you C2C are not the idiot here, but it frustrates me to no end that there are people who will conclude that it is open and shut because of this... Last night the guy was throwing grenades at cop cars, that's substantial to me no matter what he was or wasn't doing "a few years back")

It's possible they missed something originally; it's also possible they kept some kind of surviellence(sic) on him after 2009. It's also possible that, within the scope of what they were looking for, they didn't find anything. Apparently it has to do something with an unnamed foreign government and information that the FBI/State Department were seeking from them about the older brother.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 20, 2013

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

ethanol posted:

Speaking of movie miranda rights, can't wait for the SVU episode where the bomber is also a sexually abused sociopath and all the federal/state interactions are 'tense as gently caress'

Whereupon he's inexplicably found innocent at the end because of this, and his uncle shoots him dead in the last 2 minutes of the episode anyway. :v:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ethanol posted:

Any confirmation he was armed in the boat?

He fired dozens of rounds at the police who showed up to investigate the boat. Hit one.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Sweeney Tom posted:

No matter what happens the rest of the week, month, year, decade, century, or millenia, if there is one thing this week will be remembered for that isn't the bravery of the entire city of Boston, let it be this:

For at least one day, we lived in a time where we could seriously say the sentence "4 police robots searched an elderly man before he was cleared of any suspicious doings."

"strip searched"

That part is very important.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo! That's crazy.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Vhak lord of hate posted:

"strip searched"

Cavity searched.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Sure, you & I might be satisfied that the FBI did its due diligence. But, c'mon...you know there are gonna' be a ton of people who will think they didn't do enough, then politicize the issue by dragging President Obama into the fray.

:smith: I know... The tide of stupidity will never ebb.

Vhak lord of hate posted:

"strip searched"

Strip searched? The robots straight up went to town on the guy! :dong:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Romes128 posted:

He fired dozens of rounds at the police who showed up to investigate the boat. Hit one.
Ah I definitely missed that

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Hollis posted:

It may be opening up a can of worms, but they've bee focused on the bombs etc.. but what type of weapons were they firing 200 rounds in a couple secs sound like a loving lot. Or was that just the police + them. PLease I am not starting a gun debate just curious.

I mean seriously that's loving crazy amount of rounds fired in a couple of minutes.

I'm not aware of anything other than a gatling gun that shoots 200 rounds in a couple seconds. Even then I'm not sure if it's 200.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

ClemenSalad posted:

Cavity searched.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Crasscrab posted:

What's the point of second guessing them? They found nothing of substance so could not continue their surveillance. The guy wasn't reaching out to any established terrorist organizations. I am however wondering what it was that brought him to their attention in the first place.

Wait they were actually surveilling him?

Also, are there any more details on the actual bomb? Like what was in it how was it triggered etc.?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Bleh Maestro posted:

Also, are there any more details on the actual bomb? Like what was in it how was it triggered etc.?

I might have misspoken about the surveillance. It seems they just interviewed him and did a little digging at the request of a foreign government, most likely Russia.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Bleh Maestro posted:

Thats an amazing read and everyone should look through it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
As far as I know Russia Today is a semi reliable newspaper, or at least as reliable a newspaper in russia can be.. but it is incredibly strange that they had this guy on their radar.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

Hollis posted:

It wasn't 200 rounds in seconds, it was 200 rounds through the entire exchange from both sides.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
I saw this:

and was confused. Did they mean to spell Chechen? Or Kicking?

Guess the source! Glenn Beck's The Blaze

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hollis posted:

As far as I know Russia Today is a semi reliable newspaper, or at least as reliable a newspaper in russia can be.. but it is incredibly strange that they had this guy on their radar.

Russia Today is loving crazy, beyond NY Post levels.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hollis posted:

RT isn't at all reliable, and has deliberately published blatantly counter-factual articles in the past. If you want to go to non-Western news sources, use AJE.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll

natetimm posted:

I'm not aware of anything other than a gatling gun that shoots 200 rounds in a couple seconds. Even then I'm not sure if it's 200.
Listening to the shootout video it is definitely not hundreds of rounds in a few seconds. Just the combined semiautomatic fire of the cops and the brothers.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

MonsterWalk posted:

I saw this:

and was confused. Did they mean to spell Chechen? Or Kicking?

Guess the source! Glenn Beck's The Blaze

Bawk bawk.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hollis posted:

What the hell? RT says whatever Putin wants it to say, as long as oligarchs agree.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

Crasscrab posted:

Bawk bawk.

a-coodle-doodle-doo

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Misandrist Duck posted:

a-coodle-doodle-doo

Co-ca-co-ca-co-ca-co-ca!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hollis posted:

Haha, no. See their delusional Pro-Gadhaffi reporting during Odyssey Dawn, or just about any of the lovely work they do on a daily basis. The bitch they had covering Libya was pretty much Baghdad Bob with a vagina.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Misandrist Duck posted:

a-coodle-doodle-doo

Has anyone in this thread even seen a Chechnyan?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Crasscrab posted:

Co-ca-co-ca-co-ca-co-ca!

CHAW-ch-CHAW-ch-CHAW

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I'm going to honestly say I only skimmed the first & last few pages. So, if this has been posted before, please let me know & I'll take it down.

Reddit Moderator Apologizes To Sunil Tripathi's Family.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

This had already come up almost 20 hours ago, but definitely should be brought up again

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hanover/news/x1037527396/Explosives-cause-concern-in-Hanover

Two "explosions" were heard a month ago in mid-March of 2013 about a half-hour outside of Watertown. It was probably these bombers testing things out.

quote:

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

Hanover —
Hanover fire and police departments seek the public’s help in identifying suspects or providing information in relation to two recent incidents where, over the past week, witnesses have reported explosions.

Officials are concerned the explosive devices could lead to injury or property damage. The recovered explosives appear to be homemade.

“We’re hoping neighbors may have seen something that may help us identify those responsible for detonating the devices,” said Hanover Fire Chief Jeff Blanchard.

The first incident was reported at 8:34 p.m. on March 12. Police and fire personnel responded to the area of Pine Street and Tower Hill Drive. Witnesses at the nearby Target store on Washington Street reported seeing a bright flash and hearing two explosions from that area.

Several unexploded devices were found at the scene and later detonated under secure conditions by the State Police Bomb Squad.

The second incident was a few days later at 7:49 p.m. on March 15. The second incident was near the first, in the area of Hearthstone and Fieldstone lanes. The area was searched but no explosives were found.

The use of incendiary or explosive devices in the manner reported is a violation of state law under Chapter 266, sections 102A and 102B. If apprehended, the perpetrator could go to prison for up to 25 years and would face fines up to $50,000.

Any resident with information that may assist investigators in finding the source of these devices should call Hanover Police Officer Stephen Moar

This is probably an area FBI would also be interested in checking out. Here's a google maps

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...=us&mra=ls&z=11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Anyone have any news on if they have stabilized him at the hospital?

• Locked thread