Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I know that's the letter of law from the county/state side, but since the entire county would be a federal site under the Department of Energy, wouldn't the DOE Police, or FBI pick it up if there was a murder or other crime?

E: poo poo new page, have a picture of "Sierra Sam", the first crash test dummy:

MRC48B fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Whoever put the knock sensor on Xterras under the lower intake needs to be shot.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You need to replace a knock sensor? O.o

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Plastic part of the plug might've melted, or he's maybe replacing a hosed connector. Ugh. Did you at least get paid?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah, I'm aware. I'm just surprised that there are single isolated failures (and not, you know, a systematic problem). I work on knock sensors too so I see a lot of not-broken knock sensors, which is why I'm so surprised it needs to get replaced.

On the other hand, maybe that's why they're fine with placing the knock sensor where they did, because the likelihood of failure is so low.

edit: on the other hand, maybe there is some systematic issue with Xterras. I don't know about Nissans.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 19, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Our shop has replaced quite a few. Always the same issue, knock circuit failure code, always on Xterras, always fixed with replacing the knock sensor.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Huh. I wonder who the supplier is (but probably not us :P ) and why. Interesting, thanks.

Maybe a routing problem on the Xterra or something. Man, some of the problems we see (not necessarily with knock sensors) have weirdest causes...

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 19, 2013

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Our shop has replaced quite a few. Always the same issue, knock circuit failure code, always on Xterras, always fixed with replacing the knock sensor.

Is it just Xterras, or is that a common problem on VG33-powered vehicles? I can't imagine how much more fun that repair is on a Quest/Villager.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I helped to replace one on a friends pops Quest. It was one of the least fun free jobs I've done.

He got the Felpro gasket set which ended up seeping on one of the corners even after torquing to spec. Luckily a crows foot fit on the studs near the leak. After I gave them an additional 50 degrees of tightening it quit leaking thankfully.

It also had/has a broken exhaust manifold like every singe Villager or Quest in existence.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The last 2 or 3 our shop have done have always been early to mid '00s Xterras, so I can't say for sure if any other engines are affected.

:argh:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Nissan: The Chrysler of Japan.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
poo poo like that is why I began refusing to do any more maintenance on a family members '02 Frontier, no matter how much they offered. Even stuff that should be stupid simple like a thermostat was a descent into hell and torn knuckles.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I think I know why my mod motor was making a strange rattling noise.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

The last 2 or 3 our shop have done have always been early to mid '00s Xterras, so I can't say for sure if any other engines are affected.

:argh:

That connector looks awful. Is it the wire coming of the connector becoming frayed or something?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Runaway Semi truck engine
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3e2_1366330989

Boss: "can't you find some way to save the truck?"
Employee: "it is running wide open, it is about to explode!"
Boss: "this could cost me a lot of money, can't you go over to it and shut off the fuel?"
Employee: "it has two tanks, I would have to shut them both off."
Boss: "great, go ahead and shut it off."
Employee: "er.. uh.. the police won't let me next to it.. yeah that's it. The cops."

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 19, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
When will people learn that shutting fuel off won't save a turbo seal failure induced runaway, only blocking the air intake?

Also, that nissan knock sensor issue - sounds like maybe a wiring harness problem to me. If you unplug it and plug it back in, does it fix it?

totalnewbie, do you work for a sensor manufacturer? Do they actually test failed/warrantied returns or just throw them out? I've always got the impression that they just throw them out and keep producing poo poo sensors due to the fact that I keep getting poo poo sensors.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The connector and all visible harness appeared fine. Tight, dry, if a little dusty and weathered. New knock sensor in and we have activity and the light's out, so this long nightmare is over.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I do and we do. But, depending on the manufacturer and the product, we don't always receive 100% of warranties. Test failures, though, we definitely get 100% (or close to it; sometimes test engineers drop them and they break, etc. or there's failures due to other known issues, though we often get those back anyway and have to examine them).

Anyway for warranties, it really depends, but we do look at them. There's a lot of work that goes into sensors and a lot of points for failure. If you keep getting poo poo sensors, it's probably because you're not buying ours :v:

But yeah, in summary, we examine everything that we get (~100% test returns, and whatever percent of warranty returns we get, which is agreed upon between us and the engineer).

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.google.com/search?redir_...ensor%20failure

Seems a few other people have run into this issue before :v:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah, is it the same P-code? P0328/0325?

quote:

Get it repaired
Pros: It put your engine back in to correct working order
Cons: EXPENSIVE repair, quotes have been in the $750-$1500 range

This is HILARIOUS.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

When will people learn that shutting fuel off won't save a turbo seal failure induced runaway, only blocking the air intake?

CO2 extinguishers are awesome for shutting down runaways. I've gotten to do that twice. Well, once it wasn't a runaway but it was upside down and I sure as poo poo wasn't sending someone in the cab to do it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

totalnewbie posted:

I do and we do. But, depending on the manufacturer and the product, we don't always receive 100% of warranties. Test failures, though, we definitely get 100% (or close to it; sometimes test engineers drop them and they break, etc. or there's failures due to other known issues, though we often get those back anyway and have to examine them).

Anyway for warranties, it really depends, but we do look at them. There's a lot of work that goes into sensors and a lot of points for failure. If you keep getting poo poo sensors, it's probably because you're not buying ours :v:

But yeah, in summary, we examine everything that we get (~100% test returns, and whatever percent of warranty returns we get, which is agreed upon between us and the engineer).
Cool. Mind me asking what company's products you test, or if you aren't at liberty/comfortable discussing that, which company I should buy my sensors from, wink wink nudge nudge? I am tired of poo poo throttle position sensors and dodgy crank position sensors that may or may not work right out of the box.

Motronic posted:

CO2 extinguishers are awesome for shutting down runaways. I've gotten to do that twice. Well, once it wasn't a runaway but it was upside down and I sure as poo poo wasn't sending someone in the cab to do it.

That's pretty awesome, never used a CO2 extinguisher.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
If you look hard enough, you can find where I work on the forums, but I'll just not make it easier. Well, it shouldn't be pretty hard to guess, in any case.

But anyway, I actually work on spark plugs (and knock sensors). Also, we don't make the sensors you mentioned.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I got P0325 on the knock sensor on my Outback Sport but that was because the knock sensor had physically come apart, cracking the plastic housing and exposing the internal coils. I replaced with an OE knock sensor and the problem went away.

I'm getting P0325 on an SR20 200SX. I bought a Standard replacement for it from Rock Auto. However, it appears to be the exact same design as the Subaru one so it probably has the same issue. On the SR20 they buried it under something (I assume the intake mani) and is widely considered to be a bitch to install.

It's not listed on the interchange list with the Subarus, so I'm guessing it's probably tuned for a different frequency of knock or the connector is different or something. Or there's not very many ways to build a knock sensor.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 19, 2013

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Knock sensors are dead simple. It's basically a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectric_sensor with two terminals to the ECU. Element materials can change resulting in slightly different outputs (Frequency response differs, but generally fall within a manufacturer's requirements), connectors can change (some have pigtails whereas others are direct connects), and there are other design differences. But yeah, they're basically the same.

Where did the knock sensor crack? I'd be interested in a picture if/after you take it out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Unfortunately I don't have the old one, but it cracked on the bottom of the plastic housing where it was mated to the block and a large secondary crack travelled upward on the outside of the housing.

It might even have been replaced previously and massively overtorqued by a crap mechanic - torqued down way too tight plus 15+ years of engine bay heat. It was pretty interesting seeing the coil guts poking out, and it had probably been like that for awhile since the inside was clogged with oil and dirt.

I'll see if the 200SX one even is cracked, and once I swap it I'll post some pictures.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Motronic posted:

I heard years back that halon has the opposite effect, causing runaways in diesels. This was from a USCG inspection officer, however I have not found any info to support his claim.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
^^ I'd love to see the chemistry behind that one. Wow.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Nissan is my least preferred Japanese maker of the Big 3. Their stuff always does seem to be more of a pain in the rear end than Toyota or Honda.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raw_Beef posted:

Nissan is my least preferred Japanese maker of the Big 3. Their stuff always does seem to be more of a pain in the rear end than Toyota or Honda.

One of my coworkers had to do something on a Quest once, either spark plugs or intake manifold gasket, I can't remember. Whatever it was, it took him two full work days to get it all the way apart and back again, mostly due to near-impossible geometry to remove the last 2 bolts holding the manifold on. E: This is a guy who has a reputation for being completely unflappable even on the most soul-destroying jobs, and he was on the verge of flipping his toolbox over by the end of it.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

I was walking to lunch today, was crossing a parking lot entrance (where hat and jeans guy is). A Town Car Limo stopped. The Beetle behind him didn't. ~30 mph hit, everyone okay.

The only reason I posted this is it appears the high bumper of the Town Car totally missed the crash structure on the front of the car and just hit the engine block. One headlight was ejected on impact, the other just snarled. Engine is likely completely shot as it was left to run for a few minutes while they pulled out from in front of the entrance. Likely wouldn't be a issue if all it's oil / coolant wasn't on the ground.

The Town Car had paint transfer and a few dents.

In the non-mecanical failures section: That's how the car was about 45 minutes after the accident. The cops came, took statements, left, Limo drove off. The driver of the Bug also left, door open, just on the side of the road. :v:

VV Edit: DURP, Town Car, Brain fart, sorry VV

Aurune fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 20, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Town and country? Like, as in the minivan?

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Lincoln Town Car, commonly used for Luxury transport services.

Edit: late to the party

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I heard years back that halon has the opposite effect, causing runaways in diesels. This was from a USCG inspection officer, however I have not found any info to support his claim.

Halon is a category of chemicals derived from methane, not just one specific fire retardant so depending on the type, its very possible. Its just short hand for halomethane. Freon is a type of halon as is chloroform.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halomethane

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
When they say Halon extinguisher they mean either 1211 or 1301. Halon doesn't put out fires by displacing oxygen so it would just get sucked through the engine mixed with oxygen, not choke it out like C02 does. This PDF I found seems to support Halon speeding up diesels if not flat out making them runaway. http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/faqs/NVIC6-72.pdf

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Halon and Halotron's method of stopping the chain reaction of a self sustaining fire isn't oxygen displacement (where CO2 is), so I'm not surprised. I don't recall ever actually looking up how they put fires out, but I do know the conditions they were designed to be used under are wildly different from a runaway motor. All I remember being told in fire school is that they "chemically interrupt the chain reaction". Whenever I was told something like this in fire school I made a mental note "the instruction has no idea how this works scientifically, but at least they know how it works functionally."

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I just want to know whether a bottle of nitrous will do the job.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

All I remember being told in fire school is that they "chemically interrupt the chain reaction". Whenever I was told something like this in fire school I made a mental note "the instruction has no idea how this works scientifically, but at least they know how it works functionally."

Everything I know about the HMMWV's fire suppression system is based on old-wives tales and superstition. No one has ever been able to tell me if it will kill everyone or not; it doesn't seem like a responsible system if that's the case.

Wikipedia posted:

At high temperatures, halons decompose to release halogen atoms that combine readily with active hydrogen atoms, quenching flame propagation reaction even when adequate fuel, oxygen, and heat remains. The chemical reaction in a flame proceeds as a free radical chain reaction; by sequestering the radicals which propagate the reaction, halons are able to "poison" the fire at much lower concentrations than are required by fire suppressants using the more traditional methods of cooling, oxygen deprivation, or fuel dilution.... Halon 1301 causes only slight giddiness at its effective concentration of 5%, and even at 15% persons remain conscious but impaired and suffer no long term effects. (Experimental animals have also been exposed to 2% concentrations of Halon 1301 for 30 hours per week for 4 months, with no discernible health effects at all.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wow....so the instructor actually got his brief explanation correct. Color me surprised.

I never really cared to look further as I had exactly one clean agent system in my jurisdiction and exactly one permit approval (well, disapproval...they never could seal the room well enough to pass a door fan test).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

http://www.google.com/search?redir_...ensor%20failure

Seems a few other people have run into this issue before :v:

It's a common problem on the KA24DE too. Most people yank the intake manifold to get to it, but you can get to it from below if you have skinny arms :ssh:

The PCV valve is also buried under the intake manifold. :argh: