Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
Russell Wilson, look into your heart and find the warrior within.
It is your destiny.

~:Seattle Seahawks:~
Just saw "A place at the table" fairly solid. It had the expected mix of "new information" and "appealing to emotion" of popular documentaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

Just saw "A place at the table" fairly solid. It had the expected mix of "new information" and "appealing to emotion" of popular documentaries.

I came to post this. A Place at the Table is great. Two most :wtc: facts you'll learn from it. In 1980 there were around 200 food banks in the nation. In 2010 there were over 12,000. Also the amount we give to the Israeli military every year is in fact just a little bit less than the amount we were willing to authorize in 2011 for several years to improve school lunches. 3 extra cents a meal :toot:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Escaping evil and decent series of documentaries about cults is playing on biography. I have enjoyed the two I have caught so far - Jones town and the FLDS

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

I know it's :siren: VICE :siren: but 3D Printed Guns is a great little documentary about 3D printed guns. Their main lead Cody Wilson conjures a desire for glory and recognition similar to Julian Assange (though never mentioned) in highlighting how disruptive technologies challenge traditional power structures.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
I found something on YouTube that I watched back in 1984 when it came out in the theaters. It's not a documentary, per se, but I'll still leave it here since it might interest people who are into history.

It's a movie of about 107 minutes called "Le Bal," a Franco-Italian production. Here's the synopsis:

quote:

A unique look at the history of 20th century France as illustrated in popular culture, Le Bal is set in a Parisian dance hall and features no narrative, no dialogue, and no continuous characters. The film moves from one dance number to the next, as the music reflects the political and cultural tenor of the times, from the Popular Front of 1936 to the German Occupation of World War II, on to the breezy openness of the post-war era and the open rebellion and turmoil of May 1968, and finally closing in the early 1980s. A troupe of dancers portrays all the film's characters, with make-up and costume changes (as well as appropriate period music) indicating the different time periods. Directed by Ettore Scola, Le Bal was based on a stage production that was a great success in Europe.

The trailer can be found here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVJdvA4eSGg

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ji7A6J11U

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Surviving Edged Weapons, an 80s police training video. I was so sure it was fake and recent, now I'm just disturbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fTaK2RDxNA

Kumare: Filmmaker Vikram Gandhi puts an unexpected twist on this sobering documentary about spirituality and the power of suggestion when he poses as a prophet named Kumaré and develops a sizable following in the American Southwest.

A better look into the people seeking spirituality than Religulous in my opinion.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70177446?strkid=1627345312_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=70177446

Stockholm
Apr 6, 2010

McBeth posted:

Kumare: Filmmaker Vikram Gandhi puts an unexpected twist on this sobering documentary about spirituality and the power of suggestion when he poses as a prophet named Kumaré and develops a sizable following in the American Southwest.

A better look into the people seeking spirituality than Religulous in my opinion.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70177446?strkid=1627345312_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=70177446

Yes, Kumare is a great documentary. Watch Louis Theroux - Indian Gurus when you're done!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3R7vuMg52U

Edit: The title pretty much says it all. Louis goes looking for his Guru, enlightenment and miracles in his usual Theroux-ey way. All in all not as satisfying to watch as Kumare, but still very interesting. And I found out that the guy who always used to invite me to vegan dinners and tried to get me to follow the ways of Hare Krishna made his wish come true and got to visit India. (Spotted him somewhere in the background) So there's that :yotj:

Stockholm fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 31, 2013

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Anybody know any good documentaries about the Dutch Republic?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Any recommendations on Docs covering obesity/health (like Weight of a Nation), the food industry/agriculture, or Formula 1 (like Senna)?

Any good sports documentaries out? What are some of the better 30 for 30's? I've seen The Two Escobars and Pony Excess.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Waroduce posted:

Any good sports documentaries out? What are some of the better 30 for 30's? I've seen The Two Escobars and Pony Excess.
Muhammad and Larry, The U, Winning Time, No Crossover, and June 17, 1994 are considered the big ones. Run Ricky Run and The Birth of Big Air are lesser but generally interesting to me as well.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
The Imposter is an absolute rollercoaster ride of a documentary that is currently available on Netflix instant.

Without spoiling too much, in the 1990s a teenage boy goes missing from his neighborhood somewhere in Texas. Three years later his family gets a call that he's somehow turned up in Spain, ready to be picked up and returned home to the US. As for the rest, you just have to watch it. My jaw was on the floor the entire time. If you liked "Dear Zachary," this movie has a similar feel in that you totally don't expect what happens (but it's way less heart-wrenching.)

EDIT: The entire thing is also available on youtube if you don't mind Greek subtitles.

Budget Bears fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 3, 2013

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Budget Bears posted:

The Imposter is an absolute rollercoaster ride of a documentary that is currently available on Netflix instant.

Without spoiling too much, in the 1990s a teenage boy goes missing from his neighborhood somewhere in Texas. Three years later his family gets a call that he's somehow turned up in Spain, ready to be picked up and returned home to the US. As for the rest, you just have to watch it. My jaw was on the floor the entire time. If you liked "Dear Zachary," this movie has a similar feel in that you totally don't expect what happens (but it's way less heart-wrenching.)

EDIT: The entire thing is also available on youtube if you don't mind Greek subtitles.

Also the subject of a great article, in a great magazine (New Yorker) by a legendary writer (David Grann)

Here it is

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Budget Bears posted:

That was really intriguing, as was the article linked above. Totally unexpected.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Has anyone seen, The Artist is Present?

I ran across a clip in the youtube thread last night and it really moved me.
I've never really paid much attention to performance art, but she seems really interesting, and was wondering if the movie is worth checking out.

e; don't watch the trailer if your at work.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Planet-of-Snail/70241260?strkid=2120370398_0_0&strackid=65d489542f3b90fa_0_srl&trkid=222336

The Planet of Snail

A deaf-blind man and his wife. It's definitely interesting to see how they communicate with each other but also how they live. *this was not the horror movie I was expecting from Netflix

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Anyone know of any good documentaries about the Korean war?

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Does anyone recall the name of a documentary... it was about a 15 year old boy who committed suicide, jumping from his bedroom window of his apartment building, after an entire life of crippling depression. His parents were filmmakers (I think the dad's name was Hart?) and made the documentary, interviewing friends, family, etc. It may have been something lke.. the boy's name in the title? I've googled a few possibilities but I can't seem to get it correct. It was really great, albeit incredibly sad, and I'd love to see it again.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Boy Interrupted

haha...I literally just googled your first sentence and it was the first result.

Special Kei
May 13, 2009
Just watched The Tax Free Tour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4o13isDdfY

quote:

"Where do multinationals pay taxes and how much?" Gaining insight from international tax experts, Backlight director Marije Meerman ('Quants' & 'Money & Speed'), takes a look at tax havens, the people who live there and the routes along which tax is avoided globally.

Those routes go by resounding names like 'Cayman Special', 'Double Irish', and 'Dutch Sandwich'. A financial world operates in the shadows surrounded by a high level of secrecy. A place where sizeable capital streams travel the world at the speed of light and avoid paying tax. The Tax Free Tour is an economic thriller mapping the systemic risk for governments and citizens alike. Is this the price we have to pay for globalised capitalism?

I liked it.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Capt. Morgan posted:

Boy Interrupted

haha...I literally just googled your first sentence and it was the first result.

Clearly my googlefu sucks. Thank you!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Any recommendations on Docs covering obesity/health (like Weight of a Nation), the food industry/agriculture, or Formula 1 (like Senna)?

Food, Inc. is a good one about the industry as a whole. It's spent a long time on Netflix Instant Watch, not sure about currently. I'm assuming you've seen Super Size Me also, which I like but I think is anchored by a rather gimmicky stunt.

As far as the 30 for 30 films my two current favorites are "The Best That Never Was" about the non-career of high school and college football legend Marcus DuPree, and "The Marinovich Project", also about the non-career of a high school and college legend. Perhaps I'm drawn to films about tragically unrealized potential!

spite house posted:

I caught The Great Happiness Space recently and was pretty amazed. It's on Netflix instant view.

http://www.thegreathappinessspace.com/

It's about "host boys" working in Osaka. These guys are basically male geishas who entertain women in clubs, manipulating them into spending stupefying amounts of money. I remember one woman saying that she's dropped $15K in a month, or something ridiculous like that. The host boys play all kinds of mind games with the women, tricking them into falling in love -- they're emotional prostitutes. And the kicker is that most of their female clients are actual prostitutes, who should know how the game works and still keep coming back. Everyone in this film is totally broken in one way or another, but it's fascinating.

This has been on Netflix Instant Watch for a long time (again not sure about currently), but it's also on YouTube, broken up into eleven segments, in decent quality. Well worth a watch.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Side By Side
I love documentaries about movie making. This one is pretty interesting about Digital vs. Film:

quote:

Keanu Reeves produced and narrates this engaging documentary about the history of digital cinema technology and its vast impact on the movie industry. Despite the digital takeover, many fans still embrace the unique qualities of celluloid film.

Wait what? Keanu Reeves? Yep. He's making a movie about movies and interviews some great directors, editors, cameramen. They compare the old movies to the new ones, the way digital has made it better, and worse, blah blah go watch the movie. It's on Netflix Streaming.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

Side By Side
I love documentaries about movie making. This one is pretty interesting about Digital vs. Film:

Wait what? Keanu Reeves? Yep. He's making a movie about movies and interviews some great directors, editors, cameramen. They compare the old movies to the new ones, the way digital has made it better, and worse, blah blah go watch the movie. It's on Netflix Streaming.
I really enjoyed watching this. I'm certainly closer to a layman when it comes to digital vs film but found this pretty educational and the passion both the interviewees and Reeves have for the subject helps a lot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned on here because I lost track of the thread but I stumbled across Just Melvin: Just Evil which is I believe a HBO film from 2000. There's elements to it that are dated (Some of the music and film making) but it's not lacking for power. To hear people talk so openly about their abuse is staggering. It's probably one of the best films about how sexual abuse destroys people and destroys families. There's no real surprises or twists, it's pretty open upfront about what happened.

I just hope that the people in the film find some happiness, whatever little they can at this point. For anyone who wants to watch it, and everyone should, it's here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY4eHaiVK9s

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Beauty Is Embarassing - the Wayne White story - this poo poo is fascinating and amazing.

He:
- set designed Pee Wee's playhouse
- puppets for Pee Wee
- contributed art to to Big Time by Peter Gabriel & Tonight Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins
- Paints those crazy word paintings.

His life is nothing short of inspiring if you have any interest in art. Dude re-invented himself three or four times over.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsIfokifwSo

New 350.org documentary on climate change, called Do the Math. Primers today.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

magnificent7 posted:

Side By Side

Watching this right now. I loving love how Reeves is narrating. There is zero pretension or "I'M THE STAR OF THE SHOW" in his voice. He's even fine showing himself with notes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Watching this right now. I loving love how Reeves is narrating. There is zero pretension or "I'M THE STAR OF THE SHOW" in his voice. He's even fine showing himself with notes.

From what people say it's pretty much what he's like in real life too. He's remarkably ego-less, no one seems to have a bad thing to say about him at all and according to Laurence Fishburne he'll embarrass you in Chess.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DrVenkman posted:

From what people say it's pretty much what he's like in real life too. He's remarkably ego-less, no one seems to have a bad thing to say about him at all and according to Laurence Fishburne he'll embarrass you in Chess.

I'm not surprised. I'm a bit of a Keanu apologist. A guy who is in that many good movies can't be as bad as what we claim. And the bad movies he's in? He's never the reason.

I'm not saying, "Maybe his portrayal of a French Canadian goaltender in Youngblood wasn't as bad as I thought" but maybe we don't always need a scene chewing actor.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned on here because I lost track of the thread but I stumbled across Just Melvin: Just Evil which is I believe a HBO film from 2000. There's elements to it that are dated (Some of the music and film making) but it's not lacking for power. To hear people talk so openly about their abuse is staggering. It's probably one of the best films about how sexual abuse destroys people and destroys families. There's no real surprises or twists, it's pretty open upfront about what happened.

I just hope that the people in the film find some happiness, whatever little they can at this point. For anyone who wants to watch it, and everyone should, it's here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY4eHaiVK9s

There's no words. I can't even begin. Just... gently caress.

Bolek fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 22, 2013

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

magnificent7 posted:

Side By Side
I love documentaries about movie making. This one is pretty interesting about Digital vs. Film
Its more about how digital has completely taken over film, and how quick the transition has been. I'm working towards a career in film preservation so I actually saw this in a class. One of the last scenes in the film talks about preservation, and the one cinematographer's line about preserving movies digitally ("Where are we? We're hosed.") has become something of a mantra to us.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Robert Denby posted:

Its more about how digital has completely taken over film, and how quick the transition has been. I'm working towards a career in film preservation so I actually saw this in a class. One of the last scenes in the film talks about preservation, and the one cinematographer's line about preserving movies digitally ("Where are we? We're hosed.") has become something of a mantra to us.

There's so many great lines in the doc. It's quote heaven.

"In a way, cinema was the church of the 20th century."

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bolek posted:

There's no words. I can't even begin. Just... gently caress.

Sadly it seems there's literally no information on the family or anything else post-documentary. Even the guy who directed it has a hilariously outdated website that if I didn't know any better I'd say was a Geocities site. I kind of want to know what happened next but I have a feeling that they continued to spiral out of control.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Killing of America is one of those documentaries that came out in the early 80s with a lot of graphic footage of Bad Things Happening. They use the Zapruder film of JFK's assassination, actual footage of the famous "Shooting a dude through the head in Vietnam" picture, footage of all sorts of riots and things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH-knbqmXn0

What the Killing of America is about is that is forwards a thesis that America has become a super-violent nation, since the death of JFK up until the film was released in 1982. It covers riots, suicides, sniper attacks, massacres and weird violent crimes like when a guy took a banker hostage, wired up a shotgun so if it was removed from his grasp, the gun would go off, or if it was removed from being against his hostage's neck, it'd go off.

It was oddly fascinating, but I'm more interested in how the docu showed different crimes not just to shock and gross you out, but to show how America has been getting its crimes and violence more and more publicized. A couple different people who committed these crimes just wanted to be known. So, here's the thing.

Anyone have any other recommendations for documentaries to watch, that maybe show vignettes about crimes and dramatic incidents after '82? I doubt a sequel was made of this particular film, but something in the spirit of it(Bowling for Columbine is close, but not perfect) would be interesting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Killing of America is for sure my favorite documentary ever. The only "spiritual sequel" I can think of is the incredibly grim and moralistic "Executions":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHaLAMtrLyY

Gonna definitely have to slap a :nws: for unsimulated human death.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

One that I recently watched (on Netflix I think) is Murder by Proxy: How America Went Postal which focuses more on spree killings and the circumstances surrounding them. I remember it being pretty interesting and in-depth but it does feature some graphic stuff including an instance of a workplace shooting caught on CCTV.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I actually didn't care for that, but the book it's based on, Going Postal, is killer.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It was probably mentioned here earlier but Sound City is pretty incredible. Kind of makes you remember what you used to love about rock music, if you stopped loving it at all. I think it had a lot of similarities to Side by Side. The best part is probably the soundtrack, which is incredible. Artists from different generations coming together to jam. For me the best was definitely the final track "Mantra" but I'm a bit of a mark for Trent Reznor. Best documentary of this year I've seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Killing of America is for sure my favorite documentary ever. The only "spiritual sequel" I can think of is the incredibly grim and moralistic "Executions":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHaLAMtrLyY

Gonna definitely have to slap a :nws: for unsimulated human death.

I watched Killing of America today, and I didn't love it. I think that a part of it is that I really am interested in the phenomenon of violence in America, and they bring up easily a dozen cases that could make for an entire movie (Jim Jones, Charles Manson, Charles Whitman, etc). But they don't go into a ton of detail; maybe it's too much too ask, since what are they going to do? Crack the case? Expose the ultra secret motivations of killers? So of course they briefly recount the incidents, then more or less leave it at that.

The end seems to suggest a conclusion: stricter gun laws, stricter prosecution, and longer sentences. I guess that seems somewhat wrong-headed and reactionary to me, particularly as we know that a dude with a gun and a brain tumor who blasts dozens of people isn't exactly concerned with the length of his sentence. I'm a little too tired to cite the research, but a criminal commits crimes because s/he is not thinking of consequences - logical, yes?

I guess I wish it was a better doc, but I'm struggling to think of what specifically could have been improved upon.