Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Today in "AI or YLLS? ":

aventari posted:

I just paid $50 for a pair of socks..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Nope, chumpcar doesn't require SFI tags on socks. They just have to be nomex. It's easy to tell the difference. Mine don't, and I do gear check sometimes :).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Are you Brock?

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

drgitlin posted:

Not sure firefighters socks would have SFI tags though, and tech almost certainly wouldn't pass them if they didn't (at least, they wouldn't in the central region).

My Carbon-X socks don't have tags at all...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Really? Must just be my G-Forces.

Speaking of nomex underwear, does anyone have any thing good or bad to say about alpinestars or oakley? Considering a new undershirt as my G-Force one is OK but lets face it the other brands let you look a bit more stylin' in the paddock when you're walking around with your suit belted around your waist (and anyone who says that swaggering around the paddock looking cool isn't at least a factor in wanting to go racing is probably lying).

Back to the sock thing, if they haven't got tags, then they're probably not FIA or SFI rated, based on the offerings on this page: http://www.ogracing.com/driver?cat=88

And looking at the Chumpcar rules, they don't say anything about allowing nomex-but-not-rated socks:

"3.11.2.1. Fire-retardant FIA- or SFI-rated socks, racing gloves and shoes are also required with all
single and/or multi-layer suits."

http://www.chumpcar.com/downloads/chumpcar-rules.pdf

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 18, 2013

parid
Mar 18, 2004
My Oakley gloves were total garbage. Wore out after two events. I was told that Oakley sold out the brand to some cheap overseas manufacturing. Will never buy another racing product from them again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

parid posted:

My Oakley gloves were total garbage. Wore out after two events. I was told that Oakley sold out the brand to some cheap overseas manufacturing. Will never buy another racing product from them again.

Oakley either got acquired or had some management change that ended up in them outsourcing everything - their optical wear is also of really low quality and assembled in China now.

I wouldn't buy anything from them unless I absolutely had to at this point.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I didn't know that any Oakley clothing was actually ever made in the US.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I have a pair of Oakleys I use when racing and yeah, they're flimsy as gently caress.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

Anyone going to be at NHMS June 1st/2nd with COM?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

speedtek posted:

Did your muffler stay on this time? :-D

Good lord this is a small world..

And yea, that motherfucker hasn't moved an inch in 2 years, thank you. ;)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Octopus Magic posted:

Anyone going to be at NHMS June 1st/2nd with COM?

When's signup? I'm thinking about doing something since I got the PSS put on and haven't been able to sell the car.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

When's signup? I'm thinking about doing something since I got the PSS put on and haven't been able to sell the car.

Now! :)

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Does anyone know of any track day clubs that have groups for formula cars in Washington? Since I don't have a racing license it's looking like I can only run my car at autocross but I'd like to do some higher speed testing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How much is 5oz of weight? I'm thinking of buying a new full face helmet, and going by this list:
http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/auto-helmet-weights.html
I could get a $350 carbon fiber helmet or a $300 fiberglass HJC.
I could also get a Pyrotect that's only 3oz heavier, but people seem to think HJCs are well made.

I wear headgear for kickboxing, and a few ounces is very noticeable but only because headgear is typically less than a pound.

And anyone know how much the bottom of the barrel Bell helmet weighs?:
http://www.saferacer.com/bell-sport-mag-sa2010-auto-racing-helmet

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

How much is 5oz of weight? I'm thinking of buying a new full face helmet, and going by this list:
I could also get a Pyrotect that's only 3oz heavier, but people seem to think HJCs are well made.

I wear headgear for kickboxing, and a few ounces is very noticeable but only because headgear is typically less than a pound.

Remember you are talking about g-force here. Five ounces at 1.5 Gs (pretty normal in karting, bit high for a street car) is actually half a pound of weight extra wrenching on your neck.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Aurune posted:

Remember you are talking about g-force here. Five ounces at 1.5 Gs (pretty normal in karting, bit high for a street car) is actually half a pound of weight extra wrenching on your neck.

5 oz at 1.5 lateral Gs is ~1lb force laterally.

I find it strange that even into the several hundred dollar range, nothing seems to break sub 3lbs. Overall, I'm really disappointed by the lack of detailed weight information for helmets.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I have the full-face version of the Bell sport. It weighs 3.75 lbs. I don't find it bothersome at all while driving, and I don't worry about the extra weight in a crash because I wear a head & neck restraint system.

In more exciting news, I've been confirmed into the Porsche club DE at COTA in 3 weeks. Just need to get the drat car back together and broken in! :dance:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
COTA is allowing DE's again? Or are they just honoring the ones they set up last year and then cancelled and then re-instated?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

As far as I know, it's the latter. I don't know of any new DEs scheduled since they tried to boot everybody.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

NinjaTech posted:

Does anyone know of any track day clubs that have groups for formula cars in Washington? Since I don't have a racing license it's looking like I can only run my car at autocross but I'd like to do some higher speed testing.

If you are signed off for solo and the car meets tech, there isn't a reason you can't run it. I've seen people in Thunder Roadsters and Lotus 7s driving DE, not a huge step to a formula car from that.
Call your local director

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

MY Z has 120k miles on it and a lot of the bushings are shot. Nissan doesn't make replacements, they want you to buy new compression rods/etc, so I was looking at aftermarket replacement bushings. Whiteline makes a full set, and SPL makes spherical bearings to replace some of the bushings. Ignoring NVH issues, are there any positives/negatives over going with spherical bearings over polyurethane bushings? The consensus on the Z forums is that the SPL bearings are better replacements for certain pieces, like the compression rod bushing.

I'm wondering if the wear will be drastically accelerated on the spherical bearings over poly bushings, or if there's potential problems I'm not aware of. My car is stock ride height, FWIW. I figured the track day thread would have more experience regarding these issues.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I like my fiberglass HJC; the pads are easily removable so you can take them out to dry or swap them which is handy.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

If you are signed off for solo and the car meets tech, there isn't a reason you can't run it. I've seen people in Thunder Roadsters and Lotus 7s driving DE, not a huge step to a formula car from that.
Call your local director

Even if you're not signed off I've seen forumla cars in lower run groups doing lead/follow instruction.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

Ignoring NVH issues, are there any positives/negatives over going with spherical bearings over polyurethane bushings?

The downside is all NVH, but the NVH will be severe with spherical bearings. I would not put them on a car unless it's exclusively a track rat. Well-made Poly bushings are a reasonable compromise if OE aren't available and/or you want a bit more rigidity in the suspension.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
What exactly will I need to do to my '97 Miata to get to a track in the northeast? I know many tracks/states have different rules - but I assume I will need the minimum of a rollbar - looking to get the single hoop maxx with double diagonals here: http://www.bossfrog.biz/Miata_Rollbars.html . Are there any other considerations? I'll have some direzza ZII's and hawk HP Plus pads with castrol GT LMA brake fluid so I should be solid for brakes and tires. Can I run with stock belts/seats/airbags or will I need a harness/seat? I am loving autocross but I absolutely need to do a track day.

Any track days/HPDE's going on this summer within ~200 miles of Albany, NY?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
For miatas I'm pretty sure all clubs require a 4 point rollbar and 5 point belts for driver and passenger as the roll hoops are considered "show bars" I think. They also do the broomtest to the dash in miatas iirc so you may need a lowering seat. Even with SCCA certification I don't know if I'd trust those hoopmaxx though, the 45 degree bends just give me the willies thinking about if the diagonal failed.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
This is the one I'm getting, is it not safe? .

Is it possible to run belts without getting new seats? - I just don't want to be bumped out of the the stock solo class.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Safety depends on the venue and club running the DE. For a Miata, you need at least an SCCA approved rollback with at least a single diagonal.

You should be good for your first weekend on HP+s, but you'll want to get a dedicated track pad sooner rather than later.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Voltage posted:

This is the one I'm getting, is it not safe? .

Is it possible to run belts without getting new seats? - I just don't want to be bumped out of the the stock solo class.

That thing is a turd sandwich and worthless.

MomJeans420 posted:

MY Z has 120k miles on it and a lot of the bushings are shot. Nissan doesn't make replacements, they want you to buy new compression rods/etc, so I was looking at aftermarket replacement bushings. Whiteline makes a full set, and SPL makes spherical bearings to replace some of the bushings. Ignoring NVH issues, are there any positives/negatives over going with spherical bearings over polyurethane bushings? The consensus on the Z forums is that the SPL bearings are better replacements for certain pieces, like the compression rod bushing.

I'm wondering if the wear will be drastically accelerated on the spherical bearings over poly bushings, or if there's potential problems I'm not aware of. My car is stock ride height, FWIW. I figured the track day thread would have more experience regarding these issues.

One of the concerns is if you're going to be doing spherical bearings is that if you're going to do one, you gotta do them all, or you're going to be putting even more stress on the other remaining rubber joints. Z's run a multilink front iirc, right?

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 25, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That roll bar looks fine.

You should get belts and seats, but it isn't necessarily necessary.

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 25, 2013

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Octopus Magic posted:

That thing is a turd sandwich and worthless.

Ok - so what works with a glass rear window and is safe?

If I end up getting a hard top, are Hard Dogs bars good?

I got quoted at $2,500 for a full spec miata cage so gently caress that poo poo - not worth caging my $1,200 rustbucket.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bethania's Hard Core line is solid. They also do their job quite well: look up Roll/Flip on YouTube.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Check with where you want to run. With a sparco bucket mounted to stock rails, I'm about 1-2" away from being under the rollbar, but 99% of the track days around where I am just require a rollbar that meets SCCA standards. They don't do a broomstick test, as the SCCA rules state the driver must be 2" under the bar or the bar must be as tall as possible with the soft top up. I'm not under the bar, but it's as tall as possible with the soft top up and I'm allowed to run as a result. The bar I've got is basically the double diagonal hard core from bethania, made by a local fabricator who's been building custom bars/cages for SCCA / CASC (:canada: SCCA) for years.

I'm in the process of making a seat mounting bracket that will do away with stock rails and likely drop me the 1-2" I need to actually be under the bar with my helmet on. I'm already under the bar without a helmet.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That bar doesn't have a diagonal in the main hoop, has no harness mounts, and doesn't go to the floor of the car.

So you would need to use the stock belts or a schroth asm 4-point (the only 4-point anyone should ever consider using).

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

This is the one I have, with a welded in harness bar (not shown)

And installed in the car:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

jamal posted:

That bar doesn't have a diagonal in the main hoop, has no harness mounts, and doesn't go to the floor of the car.

So you would need to use the stock belts or a schroth asm 4-point (the only 4-point anyone should ever consider using).

There are two diagonals, there is a bolt-in harness bar (not ideal), and that's how Miata rollbars work. Here is a Hard Dog Hard Core bar:

I mean, if you want to argue that this is a lovely bar, go for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmjaaSQP08

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Diagonals need to be in the main hoop, and they need to go from the base to the opposite corner. That is the minimum requirement for a roll bar in pretty much every piece of motorsports regulation - scca, nasa, rally, fia, etc.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Except the one that's relevant to HPDE.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2013%20Time%20Trials%20Rules_4%20levels.pdf

quote:

10.1.4. BRACING
A. It is recommended that braces be of the same size tubing as used for the roll bar itself.
B. All roll bars must be braced in a manner to prevent movement in a fore-and-aft direction with the brace attached within the top
one-third of the roll hoop, and at an angle of at least thirty degrees from vertical. It is strongly recommended that two suchbraces be used, parallel to the sides of the car, and placed at the outer extremities of the roll bar hoop. Such braces should extend to the rear whenever possible.
C. It is suggested that roll bars include a transverse brace from the bottom of the hoop on one side to the top of the hoop on the other side.

And if you wanted to do Track (Time) Trials with SCCA you need the diagonal brace either on the main hoop or on the braces.

quote:

A. Roll bar hoops must have two (2) fore/aft braces with tubing of dimensions at least equal to that required for the main hoop itself. Diagonal lateral bracing of equal dimension tubing must be installed to prevent lateral distortion of the hoop. (In most cases, a lateral brace from the bottom corner of the hoop on the side to the top corner of the hoop on the other side is sufficient). The following alternatives are permitted. Although installing the diagonal lateral brace in the main hoop is the strongest (and hence most preferable) alternative, there may be instances where such an installation is not practical. In such situations, the installation of the diagonal brace as shown in Figure 3 will be acceptable

FatCow fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

jamal posted:

Diagonals need to be in the main hoop, and they need to go from the base to the opposite corner. That is the minimum requirement for a roll bar in pretty much every piece of motorsports regulation - scca, nasa, rally, fia, etc.

Hell, even the SCCA general club racing rules for a cage allow the bracing for the main roll hoop to be outside the plane of the hoop, unless I'm reading this wrong:

Section 9.4.B.2.a posted:

Main hoops shall incorporate a diagonal brace. The brace shall either be in the plane of the main hoop, or extend from the top of one rear brace (described in 9.4.B.2.c) to the bottom of the opposite rear brace. Automobiles with mid mounted engines can have the lower mounting point attach to the frame of the automobile within six inches of the main hoop. In the case of braces in the plane of the main hoop, the brace must span at least 50% of the width of the main hoop, and at least 75% of the height of the main hoop as shown in figure 12.

And in terms of the broomstick test for SCCA autocross:

From the SCCA Solo rulebook:

3.3.2 Roll Bars posted:

Roll bars or roll cages are strongly recommended in all cars. A roll bar meeting the requirements of Appendix C or a roll cage meeting the requirements of the Club Racing General Competition Rules (GCR) (Section 9.4, Roll Cages For GT And Production Based Cars or Section 9.4.5, Roll Cages For Formula Cars and Sports Racing Cars) is required in all A Modified (AM), B Modified (BM), C Modified (CM), and F Modified (FM) vehicles and all open cars in Prepared Category, D Modified (DM) class, and E Modified (EM) class. For open cars in the Stock, Street Prepared, Street Touring®, and Street Modified categories, the roll bar or roll cage height may be reduced from Appendix C or GCR 9.4 requirements to the highest possible height which fits within an installed factory-specified hardtop or convertible top. The roll bar or roll cage height may also be reduced in the same manner for cars in the Prepared category with a full original equipment windshield assembly and a standard (as defined herein) hardtop which has been bolted securely in place.

From the Time Trials Rules:

10.1.1.B posted:

The top of the roll bar shall not be below the top of the driver’s helmet when the driver is in normal driving position, and shall not be more than six inches behind the driver. It is strongly suggested that the roll bar extend at least three inches above the driver’s helmet. In case of two driver cars, both drivers must be within the roll bar height requirement, however only one driver must be within six inches of the roll bar. In a closed car equipped with a roll bar/cage, it must be as close as possible to the interior top of the car.