Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ce gars posted:

Yep. Suspect 1 is confirmed dead and 2 is in custody. They led BPD on a car chase where they threw loving grenades out of their windows. At some point in the chase was where they got suspect 1, who last I heard, was run over by suspect 2 trying to get away. He also might have had some sort of explosive on himself that he detonated before or after they got to him, haven't seen the official word on this yet so I'm not sure.

They found suspect 2 earlier tonight hiding in some unlucky dude's backyard boat and took him alive. He's in critical condition now.

Last I heard he was in "serious" condition which is somewhat less bad than critical, but maybe he got downgraded/I missed something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ce gars posted:

Yep. Suspect 1 is confirmed dead and 2 is in custody. They led BPD on a car chase where they threw loving grenades out of their windows. At some point in the chase was where they got suspect 1, who last I heard, was run over by suspect 2 trying to get away. He also might have had some sort of explosive on himself that he detonated before or after they got to him, haven't seen the official word on this yet so I'm not sure.

They found suspect 2 earlier tonight hiding in some unlucky dude's backyard boat and took him alive. He's in critical condition now.

An old guy was also strip searched by four robots at some point in there too. :toot:

Crazy day :staredog:

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

hailthefish posted:

Last I heard he was in "serious" condition which is somewhat less bad than critical, but maybe he got downgraded/I missed something?
I hope all the guys shooting at him at the end of this drama didn't all hit him. No way he's going to survive that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Loucks posted:

So you don't have any knowledge beyond "Some guys I maybe know somehow totally made machine guns," yet you continue to insist that it is easy to make machine guns. I'm not actually trying to call you out, but that strikes me as a silly thing to post.

In point of fact some conversions are easier than others, and some essentially require a machine shop.

That point can't be labored enough. You know Chuck Connor's rifle on "The Rifleman"? The one he famously fires 12 rounds in 5 seconds in the intro? The screw driven through the trigger guard made it a machine-gun according to the ATF.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*
I don't know why I read Reddit when it just makes me upset.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AdviceAnimals/comments/1cq3ia/suspect_2/

When Reddit pedos talk about age of consent, they claim 15, 14, etc. is an old enough age for someone to make a choice about having sex and that's it's fine for their 20-30 year old selves to be pursuing underage kids. :smith:

When a bomber is 19 years old? "They're too young, they were definitely manipulated/brainwashed, I feel so sorry for them!"

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

hailthefish posted:

I've heard both today, so I'm not sure what it is currently.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

DrHerpington posted:

When Reddit pedos talk about age of consent, they claim 15, 14, etc. is an old enough age for someone to make a choice about having sex and that's it's fine for their 20-30 year old selves to be pursuing underage kids. :smith:

When a bomber is 19 years old? "They're too young, they were definitely manipulated/brainwashed, I feel so sorry for them!"

Edit your hosts file to point reddit.com to 127.0.0.1

There, you've just improved your life. Enjoy the reddit-free future!

Risque Business
Dec 8, 2012

ce gars posted:

I've heard both today, so I'm not sure what it is currently.

He's in "critical but stable" condition. I don't know how you can be critical and stable at the same time, but there you go.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Loucks posted:

In point of fact some conversions are easier than others, and some essentially require a machine shop.
All the really easy ones are classed as machineguns. The legal ones range from drilling a few holes and swapping in some milsurp parts to major machine-shop work. Or a shoelace.

And then there are a few guns that will randomly dump the entire magazine on a single trigger pull if they get too dirty or you don't clean all the storage grease out of them. So anybody can experience the thrill of a machinegun once -- you can generally get away with a stern talking-to if it accidentally happens, but it drat well better never happen again.

That said, I didn't hear any full-auto fire in any of the shootout videos. Rapid semiauto fire, but it was much slower than the rattle of a rock-n-rolling M16.

Young Freud posted:

You know Chuck Connor's rifle on "The Rifleman"? The one he famously fires 12 rounds in 5 seconds in the intro? The screw driven through the trigger guard made it a machine-gun according to the ATF.
Cite? I'm pretty sure working the lever counts as a separate trigger pull.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Around 6 am pst, the cops had a house surrounded and said something over the radios about a rocket in a basement. What happened with that? I went to sleep around then and I can't remember anything about it. Was it Roger Clemens in a basement?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Risque Business posted:

He's in "critical but stable" condition. I don't know how you can be critical and stable at the same time, but there you go.
I was in critical but stable condition once when I had a fat embolism (yes yes, goonsay) in my lung due to getting a bone cracked open by a car hitting me. It means he's in a bad state but he's also not getting any worse and presumably is responding to treatment. I imagine their largest problem is that he has every reason to want to just die in his bed :v: Even if he's not going to actively commit suicide, he certainly has no reason to make a speedy recovery.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Around 6 am pst, the cops had a house surrounded and said something over the radios about a rocket in a basement. What happened with that? I went to sleep around then and I can't remember anything about it. Was it Roger Clemens in a basement?

Pretty sure Roger Clemens isn't allowed back in boston anymore.

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

DrHerpington posted:

Yes because there are two guys behind every post on Reddit so everything ever to come out from there has to be opinions of the said two guys who are also 100% pedos. Also regarding manipulation, the same idea has been raised in the SA threads.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Risque Business posted:

These are all basically nonsense terms decided by whomever answers the phone when reporters call. Don't read too much into it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Rockis Dukakis posted:

These are all basically nonsense terms decided by whomever answers the phone when reporters call. Don't read too much into it.

"He is massively hosed up, but not getting any worse at this time. Maybe he gets better, who the gently caress knows?"

Loucks posted:

I don't think you really "got" that post.

edit: Also I have yet to see any evidence that the Hats had full-auto weapons in the first place.

Neither have I. I :words:'d because I can't resist the :allears:, and because I know an ATF officer who ranted about that very subject over beers a few months back. Apparently a lot of dumbshits try it, and inevitably get hosed by him or people who work with him.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 20, 2013

Loucks
May 21, 2007

As long as he is not actively circling the drain I'm happy. I want to hear what the hell happened that led up to this even if it's just "seemed like a good idea at the time!"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

Cite? I'm pretty sure working the lever counts as a separate trigger pull.

I'd rather not get on this derail and I'm might be confusing it with some of the noted legal issues involving the Mare's Leg from "Wanted Dead Or Alive", but I'm certain that the screw-through-the-trigger-guard still counts as a mechanism by the ATF's definition. I believe it's less about the human-powered lever operation and more about how there can be no finger on the trigger when the screw trips it. Replicas of the Rifleman gun that have been sold either feature a drill hole but no screw or have a non-functional screw welded to the trigger guard.

There's been similar "rapid-fire" function modification to bolt action rifles, that features a lever or rod that actuates the trigger when the rifle bolt is locked. Despite the human operation of a bolt- or lever-action firearm, there has to be a human finger on the trigger to satisfy those requirements.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Further proof that the BATFE are a bunch of pranksters, since a design that was essentially identical to either that omitted any trigger mechanism other than the lever/bolt would probably be A-OK.

Edit: Probably, but who knows? It is the BATFE.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Rockis Dukakis posted:

Very true. Also note those terms generally refer to a patients need for medical care, not necessarily their chances of survival. We can't really know much about what's going on with him without access to information the hospital will certainly not give out.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Loucks posted:

Further proof that the BATFE are a bunch of pranksters, since a design that was essentially identical to either that omitted any trigger mechanism other than the lever/bolt would probably be A-OK.

Edit: Probably, but who knows? It is the BATFE.

They reserve the right to change their minds about any previous ruling at any time, even if it's a onetime exception in order to pile more charges on against you, and those random decisions have the full weight of federal law behind them.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They reserve the right to change their minds about any previous ruling at any time, even if it's a onetime exception in order to pile more charges on against you, and those random decisions have the full weight of federal law behind them.

Sure. Like I said: Pranksters.

They just happen to have a mean sense of humor.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Loucks posted:

I'm not trolling. I would love to let them know that you're bragging about their federal felonies on a public forum. Unless they converted those ARs prior to the closure of the registry, that is.

But that's not really the point. I'm mostly pointing out that you don't really know what you're talking about.

The whole snitches get stitches thing you're hinting at here is pretty loving disgusting in light of current events.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice
:siren:The "What are all these dumb jokes? I dont get it :saddowns:" Post.:siren:

During the last 32-ish hours while the events in Boston were rapidly unfolding, goons in the main thread were tracking progress of the manhunt, and due to the media I guess not being awake, the major outlets didn't really have much to say, but we did have one goon, Kilonum, who ran a livestream of a police radio scanner for us. Now, because we were listening to the live source of the radio chatter we got to hear all the dumb mundane poo poo but occasionally there were moments of humor that popped up, and truthfully many were working on little sleep past a certain point so it may have simply been funnier at the time, but this also gave us a glimpse of what was really happening that we would never get through normal media sources such as police movements and status updates.

Below I will recap all the things people seem to have questions on, since almost none of them were picked up on by the media and are so far just inside jokes here on SA. Think of this as a sort of quick reference to get caught up to speed, feel free to link back to this post when people ask poo poo because i'm not posting this every drat page.

SA User Petey: A Boston goon who was close the the Richard family, who lost their 8 tear old son in the marathon explosion, as well as the mother and daughter sustained injuries.

SA User Kilonum: Apparently lives somewhere near Boston, hosted the stream of the radio chatter even when the others had gone down.

Robots: A little before noon, about 10 hours before White Hat was found, a man was spotted walking down a road, the city, being in full alert, noticed he seemed to have some kind of vest on and was holding something in his had (assumed at the time to be a dead-mans switch. He was told to lay on the ground, and then handcuffed and was in this position for about an hour while EOD was brought in. This consisted of a "Bear" Lenco-Bearcat APC as well as a bomb handling robot to remove the mans jacket for fear he might blow himself up. During the course of this a second APC was brought in as well as 3 more bomb robots, the "joke" being that they were undressing the man for inappropriate purposes. The entire event was a false alarm, and was never reported on local media, this was all via radio chatter. The entire situation was handled within about an hour.

Bears, Bearcats, Tactical Bears: This is a simple one, the BPD uses Lenco-Bearcat APCs, basically armored trucks, and on the radio they were referred to as "Bears" and a few times as "Tactical Bears"

Perimeter Lobsters: During the setup of the Watertown cordon, there were requests for statuses on "Perimeter Officers" which due to heavy Boston accents came out as "Perimeter Lobstahs"

The Colorful Radio Characters of the BPD: Following are some of the people heard on the radio and memes that were generated on the spot due to their recurrence or simply due to how hilarious they were.

Sgt. Feedback: This was not one person, simple the title given to anyone who created massive feedback loops when they tried to talk, leading to some officers trying to relay information, you would get about one word, and then this: http://youtu.be/xM4PI-KPPaM

Officer Kevin "IN N OUT" Brennan: Link One of the cops on site during the overnight operations, after about 6 hours of depressing radio chat, comes in with this gem, he is the 2nd voice (very quiet, turn it up) Both the video and logo are both by goons in the thread.

Source: A goon

Officer Nyeeeeeeh: Link No idea who this guy is, but he responded to someone over the police radio with "Nyeeh" which prompted whoever he was speaking to to respond in kind but with a much longer "Nyeeeeeeh" like a morning cartoon show villain. It was really odd hearing it in the midst of people searching for a possible suicide bomber.

Fresh Dogs: What it sounds like, canine units had to be rotated out, was funnier to imagine them as being "fresh"

Source: SA User Spacedad

Open Mic Mike: Many times a lot of the officers would get thier radio mic stuck on, which was only humourous in how often it happened, as well as that eventually they would call the persons name out, leading to Officer Mike being told his mic was on, and another officer apparently had a faulty radio and responded he would simple "take the batteries out"

Sgt. Fury: An actual person who simply had an awesome name.

Mush Mouth Mark: One of the officers, whenever he talked was totally unintelligible, as if he was constantly eating food while on the radio.

Officer 89 Dextah: During the early AM hours, there was an officer located at 89 Dexter street, with a suspicious package, called for FBI backup, and over the next 2 hours or so grew increasingly agitated at having to keep requesting an FBI team, standing out in the damp night along next to a possible explosive. Eventually they responded and it was a false alarm.

Nervous Mike: Another officer during the manhunt pulled over a cab with the possible suspect, this was the first false alarm so tension was incredibly high, and apparently had trouble figuring out how to send pictures of the people they pulled over with his phone, eventually it was confirmed to just be a guy.

Marux fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 20, 2013

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

CNN keeps focusing on how they refused to read suspect 2's rights when they were dragging him out of a boat hoping there wasn't a bomb attached to his leg.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Risque Business posted:

He's stable, but in that window where he could quickly crash.

It's in the first few hours where they need CTs/MRIs to give them more info, see how he responds to treatment, surgically remove debris/close wounds/drain things, and so on.

If he could be cuffed, that's a pretty good sign.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DevilCat posted:

Meteor on the roof, and the robot undressing an old man.

Amazing. No bears though...

Risque Business posted:

Hmm. He must have been suffering from severe blood loss after spending a day bleeding into that boat. He was able to get away and hide himself which rules out severe damage to vital organs, at least. Low blood pressure could have caused brain damage, though. IDK

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That's a terrific painting, but good lord do we ever need an artistic representation of untold thousands of police lobsters maintaining the perimeter.

blueblaze
Jul 31, 2006

Marux posted:

:siren:The "What are all these dumb jokes? I dont get it :saddowns:" Post.:siren:

During the last 32-ish hours while the events in Boston were rapidly unfolding, goons in the main thread were tracking progress of the manhunt, and due to the media I guess not being awake, the major outlets didn't really have much to say, but we did have one goon, Kilonum, who ran a livestream of a police radio scanner for us. Now, because we were listening to the live source of the radio chatter we got to hear all the dumb mundane poo poo but occasionally there were moments of humor that popped up, and truthfully many were working on little sleep past a certain point so it may have simply been funnier at the time, but this also gave us a glimpse of what was really happening that we would never get through normal media sources such as police movements and status updates.

How's about perimeter lobsters? Didnt see you mention it. Care to elaborate on that one?

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
I still have never been to reddit.com or really even understand what the gently caress it's about. And I'm glad.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Marux posted:

Missed a few of the cheerier quips over the radio. Nice to know it wasn't all pant-making GBS threads tension the whole time for those guys.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Digiwizzard posted:

The whole snitches get stitches thing you're hinting at here is pretty loving disgusting in light of current events.

What the hell are you talking about? I pretty obviously wasn't going to actually contact anyone. Even if I had been, that there is no evidence whatsoever of any actual illegal full auto conversions in this event makes it completely irrelevant.

I mean, other than a few people hearing more than two or three shots in a row and deciding that somehow meant machine guns.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

blueblaze posted:

How's about perimeter lobsters? Didnt see you mention it. Care to elaborate on that one?

An officer with a heavy Bostonian accent said 'perimeter officers' but 'officers' sounded like 'lobsters' due to the accent and general scanner distortion.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

blueblaze posted:

Seriously. Everyone's explained the old man and the robots yet nobody's explained the lobsters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Red posted:

He's stable, but in that window where he could quickly crash.

I believe it's what doctors refer to as a 'severe case of the bullets'.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

BubbleGoose posted:

Yeah, I think I need some proof that that's actually the mother. I'm too suspicious of call ins.

I can't speak to the mother but I know that the father was not an imposter.

Loucks posted:

So you don't have any knowledge beyond "Some guys I maybe know somehow totally made machine guns," yet you continue to insist that it is easy to make machine guns. I'm not actually trying to call you out, but that strikes me as a silly thing to post.

And some conversions just require a little piece of metal that can be inserted into the gun. Which is probably why it was suggested that it can be easy to modify a weapon into full auto.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 20, 2013

Simon Magus Says
Jun 30, 2006
Is there any word on who was arrested in New Bedford and what the connection was?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I like to think that Officer Nyeeeh is the guy Kevin "In and Out Real Quick" Brennan was talking to, and that they were 'nyeeh'ing each other. They have lots to offer!

BafflerMeat
Mar 4, 2012

"I'M INCREDIBLY SUSPICIOUS OF INDIANS"
Great Job Boston. Spent all day yesterday lurking the other thread, went to sleep and woke up to find out they captured him. Just awesome, hoping we can get an explanation out of the guy.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Could he be charged with vehicular manslaughter for running over his brother? If anyone else had done it they'd be a hero, but he can't easily claim he was trying to stop him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Amazing summary Marux

Marux posted:

Nervous Mike: Another officer during the manhunt pulled over a cab with the possible suspect, was very on edge and apparently had trouble figuring out how to send pictures of the people they pulled over with his phone.

Just to expand on this a bit. This was probably the first major false alarm after they set up that massive perimeter. Mike calls in something like "Found suspect, about to take into custody" and you could almost feel jaws dropping. The police chief(?) starts asking him over and over where he is and if he needs backup. Turned out just to be 3 dudes in a cab.

• Locked thread