Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

edit: in other news, my copy of Crazy Taxi for the DC doesn't work properly. :smith: The disc is pretty scratched so I'm not really surprised my DC doesn't want to read it, but that's still pretty annoying because I was looking forward to playing Crazy Taxi again. I guess I'll try to play a backup copy then.

If you want to upgrade, I can strongly recommend Crazy Taxi 3 for the Xbox. Despite the title, it's not just Crazy Taxi 3; it's a compilation of the entire series and you can mix and match everything any way you want. It even has all the music and you can even change it so that you don't hear "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!" every time you start the game. :v:

I cut my teeth on the Dreamcast version but the XBox version is the definitive package.

That game is now eleven years old so it's definitely retro...

Edit: I shouldn't talk about Crazy Taxi. Every time I do I want to run over to my system and MAKE SOME CRAZY MONEY!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

If you want to upgrade, I can strongly recommend Crazy Taxi 3 for the Xbox. Despite the title, it's not just Crazy Taxi 3; it's a compilation of the entire series and you can mix and match everything any way you want. It even has all the music and you can even change it so that you don't hear "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!" every time you start the game. :v:

I cut my teeth on the Dreamcast version but the XBox version is the definitive package.

I didn't know about this. I've also always kind of wanted Tony Hawk 2X for similar reasons.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Random Stranger posted:

It even has all the music and you can even change it so that you don't hear "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!" every time you start the game. :v:

Why would anyone ever want to do this

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

Why would anyone ever want to do this

Because after you've heard that thirty or forty times in a row, you're ready for a change.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: I shouldn't talk about Crazy Taxi. Every time I do I want to run over to my system and MAKE SOME CRAZY MONEY!!
Does Crazy Taxi 3 work on the Xbox 360? I do have an original Xbox, but I don't feel like spending money on an RGB cable for that at this point because I barely use the thing nowadays. I used to play original Xbox games on a 14" CRT and composite was okay for that, but holy poo poo it looks like complete rear end on my flatscreen. :gonk:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LMAO

quote:

HorvatM has released a new Virtual Boy Homebrew, a simple cooking simulator. In this game your neighbors are terrorists who want to make sure you do not get to eat any pasta. Do your best to cook up some food while they shoot at you through the windows.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Does Crazy Taxi 3 work on the Xbox 360? I do have an original Xbox, but I don't feel like spending money on an RGB cable for that at this point because I barely use the thing nowadays. I used to play original Xbox games on a 14" CRT and composite was okay for that, but holy poo poo it looks like complete rear end on my flatscreen. :gonk:

I just checked and it isn't. Glad I didn't impulsively buy it on ebay

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

Because after you've heard that thirty or forty times in a row, you're ready for a change.

Incorrect. I can never see a taxi without thinking of All I Want and my life is better for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is the scene still alive for the original XBOX? I had XBMC on mine back in the day, but I have to imagine that XBMC has moved on? i also remember unleashx being a thing but it looks like it has not been updated in a while. Is anything actively developed these days?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
XBMC dropped official support for the Xbox, but there are still non-official builds being made. UnleashX was the best dashboard (Avalaunch was okay), but I haven't seen anything since then.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Kthulhu5000 posted:

So, any recommendations for two player NES beat-em-ups (outside of River City Ransom)?

CH-CH-CH-CH-CHIP AND DAAAALE!
(Rescue Rangers!)
(When there's danger!)

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

flyboi posted:

Thanks fatpat!

Well that arrived quickly. Shipped that out wednesday afternoon, I believe.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

fatpat268 posted:

Well that arrived quickly. Shipped that out wednesday afternoon, I believe.

Can't stop playing on it and it's kinda funny sitting on a bed with a 46" screen across the room but I'd rather play gba. You gave me Mario deluxe but lost levels wasn't unlocked so now I have to do that... Even though you can't see poo poo on the gbc version

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Incorrect. I can never see a taxi without thinking of All I Want and my life is better for it.
This guy gets it.

My Crazy Taxi backup works perfectly well on the Dreamcast (the drive sounds like it's about to die, but I guess that's normal for the DC), so now I can make some CRAZY MONEY again with the level streaming and music actually working. :getin:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I have an idea. Let's post games we remember being awesome, but haven't played since before our tastes as a discerning video game connoisseur had properly developed.

I remember Desert Demolition starring Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner on Genesis being really fun. I was just thinking about it because I picked up Taz-Mania today. I watched some gameplay on Youtube and it still looks really fun. It also holds up very well visually. A lot of animation and well-drawn sprites in very colorful landscapes.

Also, the X-Men Mutant Academy games. I loved both of them as a kid. Comic book games around the PS1 era were cool, because they were always chock-full of references to the characters' histories and other comics. Like the comic book collectables in Spider-Man on PS1. Mutant Academy 2 had Spider-Man as an unlockable character and they both featured a bunch of fighting arenas from the X-Men comics like the Danger Room. You could even fight at the X-Mansion's pool where all the characters would default to unique swimming wear-based costumes. But do they hold up as fighting games?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Component-Cable-Bulk-Packaging/dp/B000E61G4O

$1.50.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Random Stranger posted:

Its worth mentioning that Crazy Taxi 3 includes the (modified) arcade stages from the first two games, but not the Dreamcast's original stages. Granted, the arcade stages are better, but its still worth getting the Dreamcast ones while youre at it.

Also, 3 ruined BD Joe's voice, and thats just inexcusable.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 20, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The GEMS of my collection aren't the valuable things.

Loose Sonic 1 signed by Game Center CX's Arino at the USA episode filming.

Sonic 3 insert signed by Jun Senoue years ago at one of those Video Game symphony things. He said that in Sonic 3 alone did the music for the gumball bonus stage. He was absolutely thrilled to see Sonic Crackers and was tight-lipped about its secrets.

Box 1 & 2.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
People that were mac gamers in the 90s might recognise this one: Somebody ported Bungie's 3rd game from 1992-1993 to OSX.
Way before Marathon and Halo.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/pathways-into-darkness/id617234634?mt=12

Kinda amazing playing this full screen when it was designed for 11" screens.
It is really, really hard. Low ammunition, expect to die a lot. To get health back, you have to sleep but if you sleep chances are the monsters will kill you.
Game requires a little backtracking, which is a shame because you move very slowly.

PC people could probably still play the old version on mac emulators or something, i guess.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Oh god. I submitted an offer for $500 on that titler and got a counter offer. Submitted another, I might be an owner of a titler shortly :gonk:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Enjoy your SHARP FAMICOM TITLER AN-510 Black Console System Import JAPAN Game 0149!

:smithicide:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

flyboi posted:

Enjoy your SHARP FAMICOM TITLER AN-510 Black Console System Import JAPAN Game 0149!

Enjoy your RGB-without-modifications Famicom system! Get yourself a reverse pin adapter or one of them thar flashcarts and have a ball! :downsgun:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

The Orange Mage posted:

Enjoy your RGB-without-modifications Famicom system! Get yourself a reverse pin adapter or one of them thar flashcarts and have a ball! :downsgun:

Already have an Everdrive N8 and a pin converter for us games so covered on that front... A week from today I'll be unloading my AN-505 and all my fds games to recoup some of the cost so look forward to some sweet Nipponese treasures soon!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

the_lion posted:

People that were mac gamers in the 90s might recognise this one: Somebody ported Bungie's 3rd game from 1992-1993 to OSX.
Way before Marathon and Halo.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/pathways-into-darkness/id617234634?mt=12

Kinda amazing playing this full screen when it was designed for 11" screens.
It is really, really hard. Low ammunition, expect to die a lot. To get health back, you have to sleep but if you sleep chances are the monsters will kill you.
Game requires a little backtracking, which is a shame because you move very slowly.

PC people could probably still play the old version on mac emulators or something, i guess.

cool, I've always wanted to check that out.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

flyboi posted:

Already have an Everdrive N8 and a pin converter for us games so covered on that front... A week from today I'll be unloading my AN-505 and all my fds games to recoup some of the cost so look forward to some sweet Nipponese treasures soon!

Yo I might want your FDS games. It might motivate me to fix my twin's belt.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

oh poo poo, good move! You are going to LOVE it! I simply have to hear your impressions on it, especially since you were kind of against the RGB palette for a while. I also need to know if Paperboy works or not just out of sheer curiosity.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

The component cables for XBox1 are dirt cheap and will output HD on your flat screen. It will look awesome.

Unmature posted:

I have an idea. Let's post games we remember being awesome, but haven't played since before our tastes as a discerning video game connoisseur had properly developed.

I remember Desert Demolition starring Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner on Genesis being really fun. I was just thinking about it because I picked up Taz-Mania today. I watched some gameplay on Youtube and it still looks really fun. It also holds up very well visually. A lot of animation and well-drawn sprites in very colorful landscapes.

Also, the X-Men Mutant Academy games. I loved both of them as a kid. Comic book games around the PS1 era were cool, because they were always chock-full of references to the characters' histories and other comics. Like the comic book collectables in Spider-Man on PS1. Mutant Academy 2 had Spider-Man as an unlockable character and they both featured a bunch of fighting arenas from the X-Men comics like the Danger Room. You could even fight at the X-Mansion's pool where all the characters would default to unique swimming wear-based costumes. But do they hold up as fighting games?

A friend and I tried out Road Runner for the SNES last weekend because we both fondly remembered it as kids, plus Sunsoft made great stuff. I gotta say the graphics held up very well but the controls in that game are so completely maddening I don't know how we played it for as long as we did back in the early 90s. If you are on a 1 degree incline and jump you skyrocket across the screen at full blast and at a 45 degree angle. We genuinely couldn't figure out last week if we just forgot how to play it or something.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

HKR posted:

Yo I might want your FDS games. It might motivate me to fix my twin's belt.

I also have a spare belt somewhere and I think I know where it is to sweeten the deal :unsmigghh:

Edit: hrm can't find it... I'll keep looking though there's only a few places it would be.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 20, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

oh poo poo, good move! You are going to LOVE it! I simply have to hear your impressions on it, especially since you were kind of against the RGB palette for a while. I also need to know if Paperboy works or not just out of sheer curiosity.

Me, too. Actual, hands-on impressions are really hard to find. I've been wanting one, but it's been hard to convince myself to lay out the cash since I already have an RGB-modded AV Famicom.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kreeblah posted:

Me, too. Actual, hands-on impressions are really hard to find. I've been wanting one, but it's been hard to convince myself to lay out the cash since I already have an RGB-modded AV Famicom.

I mostly pulled the trigger because I have a *lot* of stuff I'm wanting to get rid of I just have been lazy. I have 14 FDS games, famicom Castlevania 3, famicom Hogan's Alley CIB and famicom SMB USA CIB as well as that completed golden wii peripheral set. I also have a macbook air I need to get rid of as well :aaaaa:. Those + the twin famicom should be able to make the purchase much easier to swallow.

However once I get the bugger I'll post lots of pics and impressions on it.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 20, 2013

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Had a Craigslist hookup yesterday (I think that's what it's called) for some Genesis games. I've been looking for a couple of these and I mentioned earlier in the thread how much I love World of Illusion. And DQIX and Banjo-Tooie came in the mail from DeathBySpoon (thaaaank yoooou).

And Psyduck's just there because.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The component cables for XBox1 are dirt cheap and will output HD on your flat screen. It will look awesome.

I wouldn't say "awesome" but worlds better than the PS2 even across component. In terms of visuals the XBox was the best system of that generation...

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Not sure if I mentioned this before, but if you end up in Kyoto yo should check out "La Siesta"
I took in the puzzle game suggestions from before, and finally got to play パンルデポン,
Fantastic game, fantastic bar.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Random Stranger posted:

I wouldn't say "awesome" but worlds better than the PS2 even across component. In terms of visuals the XBox was the best system of that generation...

I dunno, weren't most games 720p? I even had a Dragon's Lair game that was 1080 on the original XBox. He felt the graphics looked good on his CRT, just that it looked like crap on his LCD. I am positive his issue is with the upscaling going from SD and not that the XBox 1 is an older-gen console.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

MediumWellDone posted:

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but if you end up in Kyoto yo should check out "La Siesta"
I took in the puzzle game suggestions from before, and finally got to play パンルデポン,
Fantastic game, fantastic bar.

I'm in Japan next month and will do this. Any more suggestions?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Well, tag-saling this morning was disappointing. On the plus side I did find an original Genesis AC adapter at Savers for $3, when Amazon seems to want $20 for them. :signings:

I know that third-party adapters exist but I've been against getting one after I realized that the adapter that came with the Genesis I bought off of Craigslist a couple of weeks ago was not, in point of fact, a tortured handyman special like I thought, and was actually one of these. It weighs about 1/50th of a genuine adapter and causes a loud droning when you turn the system on. When I opened it up to make sure there was something inside, I found out that the board was held awkwardly in place with two dabs of caulk. :what:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Plus 15 euros shipping to my part of the world. :v:

I suppose I could get one of those cables cheaper on eBay or whatever, maybe then I'd bother to buy some games for the original Xbox again. I would definitely like to play my Xbox version of Shenmue II again; while it looks amazing on the 360 the sound is all glitched out and none of the arcade games work as they should, so it's not really worth the time.

He felt the graphics looked good on his CRT, just that it looked like crap on his LCD. I am positive his issue is with the upscaling going from SD and not that the XBox 1 is an older-gen console.
Yeah, the graphics on the Xbox are really good in general, it's just that playing the games via composite on my LCD makes them look like blurry poo poo and component cables would definitely help with that. I didn't care much back in the day because at that point I hadn't seen how much better it could look, and I was using such a lovely TV (with a single SCART input that may or may not have supported RGB) that it wouldn't have mattered much anyway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I dunno, weren't most games 720p? I even had a Dragon's Lair game that was 1080 on the original XBox. He felt the graphics looked good on his CRT, just that it looked like crap on his LCD. I am positive his issue is with the upscaling going from SD and not that the XBox 1 is an older-gen console.

Most games don't really render in 720p (there's probably only one or two simple games that do), but do support the 720p upscaling output.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Unmature posted:

I'll pay you 50 to steal it.

Hah, no. The disc's not in the jewel case, you have to take the case up to the counter, then they dig the disc out of a binder.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Unmature posted:

(Rescue Rangers!)
(When there's danger!)
Good game but it's not a beat-em-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I went to :japan: and bought a lot. Haven't acquired anything retro in ages so I decided to exploit the weak yen and splurge. My originally tiny collection is finally getting some notable titles in there.

Saturn:

Marvel Super Heroes
Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire
Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack
Dead or Alive
Shining The Holy Ark
Baroque
Dragon Force
Street Fighter Zero
Slayers Royal

Famicom:
Megami Tensei 2
Dragon Quest 1-4
Rockman 3
Salamander
Karateka
Transformers: Convoy no Nazo
Bucky O'Hare
Guardian Legend
Popeye
Takeshi no Chousenjou
Super Monkey Daiboken
Tokaidou Gojusan-tsugi

Super Famicom:
Front Mission
Megaman X2
Final Fantasy 4-6
:siren: Terranigma :siren:
Street Fighter 2 and Turbo
DKC2
Chou Makaimura
Cotton 100%

CIB Super Famicom:
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Umihara Kawase (as mentioned earlier in this thread; also the single most expensive purchase at 4180 yen)
Mother 2
Illusion of Gaia

All in all I spent nearly 20k yen, shopping in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. I'll summarize my buying experience in each locale briefly:

Osaka:
Den Den town is the "local Akihabara" with anime and games galore. I visited two shops here: Super Potato and Game Tanteidan. A lot of collectors avoid Potato in general, due to their tendency to markup prices about 20% up compared to other stores. Then again, Akihabara Potato also has the best selection and this characteristic carries over to Osaka Potato as well. Osaka prices are generally a bit lower than in Akihabara, but be prepared to pay extra for anything popular and generally sought after.

Tanteidan is a smaller store just opposite of Potato along the main road of Den Den Town and it's okay: the prices are slightly lower than Potato and the selection isn't bad either although slightly smaller than Potato.

There's also a store called A-too (related to goon-favorite Surugaya-a-too in Rakuten?) close by but I didn't browse their selection too deeply

Kyoto:
hahahahaha no such thing as retro There really aren't any noteworthy stores in Kyoto, but if you're visiting Kyoto and have some free time, feel free to visit one of the numerous Book Offs here. Any Book Off is a great way to find low prices and general collection fodder, if you're willing to fish through a metric poo poo ton of baseball and derby stallion games.

Tokyo:
Although Japan travellers who collect games say Akihabara is the most expensive for retrogames, it also has the biggest variety in stores, collections and yes, prices. Akihabara has three stores worth going to: Trader, Mandarake and Friends. Trader and Mandarake both have good prices and okay selections: bear in mind Mandarake mostly in used anime goods and porn so don't get shocked if you run into either. Games have almost a whole floor dedicated to them, though. Trader has multiple stores along the main road with only one offering retro games.

Friends is a small store with meager selection but it's slightly out of sight and thus might have some finds that you can't get at any other place around Akihabara. Friends is located at the very far, northern end of the main road and is easily missed as it's located in the second and third floor of a nondescript building with restaurants: I only noticed a sign saying "retro games" and decided to visit. Friends has a good selection of Famicom titles, with the second floor dedicated to CD based systems.

Aside from the above, there's also a store called Retro Universe/Game Galaxy/or-something-like-that along the main road but they had terrible prices with lovely product quality.

There's also another Mandarake located in Nakano shopping arcade called Nakano Broadway with their own retro game store. The prices/selection are similar to the main store in Akihabara.

--------

A common trend in retro stores in Japan I noticed is that most of the noteworthy popular games flock to Super Potato. It seems they acquire their stock way more efficiently than their competitors, leaving only scraps to others. I don't know exactly how they do this (do they buy games from customers looking for store credit or what?) but whatever it is they're definitely going for a certain monopoly of retrogames.

Another thing I noticed is that while the prices are generally lower than Ebay, it's not likely that you will find any "$1 Earthbound from a garage sales" type of finds: the stores specialize in retro games and obviously follow the common collection trends. However, there can be a wide fluctuation in prices: Umihara Kawase was generally above 6000 yen CIB in Potato stores but around 4k anywhere else. Mother 2 CIB went for anything between 1000 to 3000 yen, with little to no variation in product quality.

e: oops, zero error with the budget: was supposed to be 20k and not 200k

jyrque fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 20, 2013

• Locked thread