Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Parpy posted:

UTW-Mazui will be subbing this. Apparently they are having a dilemma with whether or not to translate the Japanese onomatopoeia "biribiri" because they feel it is their job as translators to translate. They don't want to have to add translators notes, and I can see how the nickname could be confusing so they're bandying about ideas like 'bugzapper', 'microwave', 'sparkplug', etc. That said, I don't think I'd be comfortable with anything but Biribiri and I'll be a bit miffed if they change it. Yeah, it may sound foreign but onomatopoeia works if you think about it.

I find it kind of hard to believe that they deliberate over how to translate nicknames when they have lines like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
The whole "deliberation over nicknames" was just Kusion and Sindalf trolling /a/, you know.

edit: VV Yeah, I know. Feel free to sign onto Rizon and tell Kusion that he stinks.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 15, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Xythar posted:

The whole "deliberation over nicknames" was just Kusion and Sindalf trolling /a/, you know.

Oh, I see.

That screen I posted is still a pretty bad non-translation, though. I can understand fansubbers not translating things that are hard to translate, such as "onee-sama" like the thread was talking about earlier, but "ojou-sama atmosphere" is just bad.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Episode 1 out on funimation

:v: I liked it.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So i just remembered i never finished Index season 2 do i need to watch it to be able to follow Railgun S or can i just put off watching it some more?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Naw you're fine. Unless there's multiple arcs and a timeskip involved, this is supposed to be the "sisters" arc from Index season 1.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Blhue posted:

Naw you're fine. Unless there's multiple arcs and a timeskip involved, this is supposed to be the "sisters" arc from Index season 1.

Which people in this thread seem to be spoiling the poo poo out of I might add. Not all of us have seen or want to see Index and it would be nice not to have this show spoiled by people who know what happens. I don't know which parts are relevant or not but if this show covers this 'sisters' arc not as a sequel but how the characters are experiencing it for the first time it would be nice not to have that spoiled for the rest of us.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
So any idea how many eps are there planned in this season? The first one managed to get a full 26 eps from just 3 volumes of manga material(that was all that was out at the time, usually needs atleast 5-7 volumes worth of material for a full season).

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Anidb says 24 episodes. No idea if that's confirmed or a guess on their part though.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
First episode was pretty good hit all the high points season one had with Uiharu's skirt getting flipped to Misaka blasting something to pieces looking forward to the rest of the season.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stumbling Block posted:

So any idea how many eps are there planned in this season? The first one managed to get a full 26 eps from just 3 volumes of manga material(that was all that was out at the time, usually needs atleast 5-7 volumes worth of material for a full season).

Yeah, but the first season also had a bunch of new content created for it. Two of my favorite episodes were basically completely new content and apparently, all of Season 1's new content is considered canon. The way I see it, if they handle it like they did on Season 1, it should be okay.

I could use a little less middle school fanservice, though. :wtc:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Myurton posted:

I'm thinking that Toma will probably help Misaka during that one since he'll probably be able to just touch people to remove her creepy mind control crap.
That blond girl is destined to be punched in the face by Touma.
She has the perfect traits for a Touma punching:
-Hugely reliant on superpowers thus most likely to break down after her power don't work
-An rear end in a top hat so Touma can spout his speech about morals and stuff
-A girl

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Myurton posted:

I'm thinking that Toma will probably help Misaka during that one since he'll probably be able to just touch people to remove her creepy mind control crap.

:v: Well they currently formed an alliance of some sort so we shall see if creepy mind power girl needs a good punching or if she has reasons

Also her powers don't work on a lot of people. Likely any level 5 can either fight or in misaka and accelerators case just brush off her stuff. She does not like to work with people whom she can't possibly mindfuck because she can't be sure they are trustworthy unless she can look.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 19, 2013

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
For the record, Biribiri has a very faint electromagnetic field about her person that's sufficient to scramble What's-Her-Face's mind-control brainwave thing.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
Just finished episode 2 and I'm really happy that they're wasting no time building up the whole Sisters thing, unlike Railgun season 1 which seemed to spend the better part of the first half of the season featuring SoL and crisis-and/or-badguy-of-the-week.

:siren:INDEX SPOILERS :siren:I assume she's leaving the cash cards around for the clones to pick up to outfit themselves for their encounters or something? Shinobu seems to be complicit the Misaka clone program, so that seems awfully inefficient when she could distribute them as they're being sent out the door ...(to their horrific deaths. Oh god it's going to break my heart watching all these poor girls die all season for such a bullshit reason :smith:)

Parpy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 21, 2013

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's one option, though my first assumption that I think is still a solid option is that in true Railgun style :siren:CONTAINS INDEX SPOILERS TOO I GUESS:siren:the cards are there to encourage kids to go into alleyways for some reason, almost certainly a reason to do with some immoral research project. I had pegged the new girl as probably being her own short plot arc right now, with the fact that she knows of the Misaka clones being incidental.

Seriously, it seems like Academy City's researchers are pretty good at exploiting the social networking behaviours of kids to their advantage when they need a large volume of test subjects for whatever crazy thing they have cooking.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 21, 2013

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is it just me or does it seem like they aged everyone a couple of years.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Toshimo posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like they aged everyone a couple of years.

It's just the art style is slightly different, so it makes the characters look a little older.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Hey guy please don't talk about the outcome of this entire arc, especially when you haven't even properly tagged your spoilers to prevent ruining it for anyone who didn't watch index!

Popehoist fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 21, 2013

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Okay guys I'm gonna make the spoiler rule more explicit for the benefit of everyone here who skipped Index:

Do not talk about anything that happened in Index without spoiler-tagging it and labeling it as an Index spoiler. The same goes for anything from the Railgun manga that hasn't happened yet. Anything from season 1 of Railgun is fair game.

That said, it is expected that the viewer knows the outcome of this arc going into it. For those who were spoiled, sucks for you, but now you know some of what the target audience knows. This is, effectively, a sequel of sorts to Index and so it's not really anyone's fault that you didn't watch what you're expected to have watched. It is exceedingly likely that, even if everyone follows this new spoiler rule to the letter, you will end up spoiled on something that you didn't already know, so read this thread at your own risk.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

Popehoist posted:

Hey guy please don't talk about the outcome of this entire arc, especially when you haven't even properly tagged your spoilers to prevent ruining it for anyone who didn't watch index!

Oh god yeah, I should've done this, and I've now edited for Index spoiler. Please remove or edit my quote in your post.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

ChronoReverse posted:

It's even harder than that because Onee-sama has lesbian connotations built in when used the way Kuruko does. These things simply don't carry over.
Or you can use "honey"

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Maybe Kuroko could say 'my dear...' or something?

Raenir Salazar posted:

For some reason I'm finding "dearie"/"dear"/"dearest" might be in character.
Those work too.

Soylentbits posted:

Mistress? It implies reverence and has sexual connotations.
Oh no no no that's so very wrong

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Something is almost always lost no matter how you translate it. It's why some translators go nuts with using different terms for the same words sometimes. It gets even worse when there's some sort of twist based on wordplay four volumes into the future.

I feel it probably doesn't matter that much overall to get it just right but it's still not an easy task (and can make you look silly in the future if something occurs that relies on a particular quirk of language).

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 21, 2013

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Relambrien posted:

That said, it is expected that the viewer knows the outcome of this arc going into it. For those who were spoiled, sucks for you, but now you know some of what the target audience knows. This is, effectively, a sequel of sorts to Index and so it's not really anyone's fault that you didn't watch what you're expected to have watched. It is exceedingly likely that, even if everyone follows this new spoiler rule to the letter, you will end up spoiled on something that you didn't already know, so read this thread at your own risk.

The first season of railgun required no knowledge of index to be appreciated. I don't know why you're acting so surprised people would expect the same thing from the second season.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Cardboard Box A posted:

Or you can use "honey"

Those work too.

Oh no no no that's so very wrong

I think mistress works but in the situations where Kuroko dials her crazed lesbianism to 11 or gets shocked into bliss. Otherwise it should be variations of Honey and/or Dearest as the situation calls for I think.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
edit: Actually, this post was dumb. Let me try again:

Joshlemagne posted:

The first season of railgun required no knowledge of index to be appreciated. I don't know why you're acting so surprised people would expect the same thing from the second season.

The clarified spoiler rule is in place for exactly this reason. My explanation was an attempt to show a silver-lining to being spoiled.

Anyway, thoughts on this episode. New character seems like she could be interesting. It's been a while since we've seen someone actually without any supernatural power using their ingenuity like she did. Launching right into the plot bodes well for the season's pacing, too. Looking forward to next week.

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 23, 2013

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That pacing is just great. Looks like they are making the best of the good parts of the arc.
But more importantly the gags were hilarious.
Saten, Kuroko and Shinobu are just the best.
And Misaki, too. Her going all out ninja is the best part of this arc.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Railgun, ninja, hacker... is there something Misaka can't do? Nice episode.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
So if I actively enjoyed Index, am I in the wrong place? I had no idea there was a spin-off show until someone mentioned it to me a little while ago.

I just want more of the world, even if it means switching gears from Touma's insanity to something more low-key. :ohdear:

e: My point is I feel like the only one who really enjoyed Index and while I want more Index, I don't think it's going to be the case here. Is it worth the time?

Emalde fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 27, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You're allowed to like things other people didn't, its okay. And yeah, you'll probably enjoy Railgun if you liked Index. I like both, and like Railgun better.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Emalde posted:

So if I actively enjoyed Index, am I in the wrong place? I had no idea there was a spin-off show until someone mentioned it to me a little while ago.

I just want more of the world, even if it means switching gears from Touma's insanity to something more low-key. :ohdear:

e: My point is I feel like the only one who really enjoyed Index and while I want more Index, I don't think it's going to be the case here. Is it worth the time?

In general I've gotten the impression from others that if you could stand Index, you'd like Railgun even better. Its scope is a wee bit smaller than Index, concerning Academy City itself mostly with fewer main characters and much less worldwide events/stuff, but for some reason this allowed the (JC) staff to really focus on character interaction and development, for what that's worth to you.

Pretty much Kuroko and Saten make the show with their mania/stupidity.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Well personally I found the best parts of index was when Misaka and company were prominent. If you agree with that, you'll find Railgun to be the superior show. This show focuses on the esper, skillout, anti-skill, and judgment stuff, it's all about academy city and what goes on there. In fact, there aren't any magicians that show up, and there probably won't be. Touma has a few cameos and quite a bit of screen time in one or two episodes so far, but this is still a different show. It's a bit eccentric as it goes from being a goofy slice of life show with super powers, to uncovering secret plots in the city, being put in life and death situations. Also problems aren't solved by having a teenage boy punch out nuns, it usually takes more effort and creativity.

So basically if you want to see an expanded look at Academy City and see things from a different perspective, this is worth watching. Just take note that not everything in the show is action based, there's several episodes without any fighting. The character Index herself is in the show as a brief cameo a couple times, not that she's prominent in her "own" show either.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Episode 3 was just great!
(This Kuroko face looks as if it was taken straight from YuruYuri.)

Although it did seem kind of out of character for Misaka to be so good at hacking stuff. I can understand rewiring electric and electronic stuff, but affecting software on that level seems odd to me. Oh well, it made for some good scenes.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Emalde posted:

I have a borderline-unhealthy enjoyment for Index, and I'm the OP of this thread :v:

But yeah, go ahead and give Railgun a try. If you liked Misaka's character and the whole Academy City/esper setting, Railgun will be especially good for you. If you preferred the whole magical conflict thing, you probably won't like it as much since the conflicts are much smaller-scale and based in anime science rather than anime magic, but you'll probably still enjoy it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sweet, only yesterday heard that this series was even a thing and just finished episode three.

I've seen the past two Index seasons and the first Railgun, and honestly the best parts out of all those was Misaka blowing poo poo up and nearly anything to do with the Borg sisters. The fact that this season looks like it's going to focus on the Borg Misaka's means I have high hopes that it's gonna be good.

Question, if I want to get more into this series, should I look for the manga or the light novels? Which one is the preferred drug of choice for somebody who wants more Borg Misaka, but only cares about the rest of the series for the context it provides?

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
Pretty sure Railgun itself only has a manga, no light novel, so probably go for that. The Index LNs don't really feature Misaka that heavily for the most part.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

nielsm posted:

Episode 3 was just great!
(This Kuroko face looks as if it was taken straight from YuruYuri.)

Although it did seem kind of out of character for Misaka to be so good at hacking stuff. I can understand rewiring electric and electronic stuff, but affecting software on that level seems odd to me. Oh well, it made for some good scenes.

She literally controls electricity, computers are electric so she can freely alter the 0s and 1s (off and on) by moving around the electricity in the computer. Electromaster is literally MASTER OF ELECTRICITY

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

AtomikKrab posted:

She literally controls electricity, computers are electric so she can freely alter the 0s and 1s (off and on) by moving around the electricity in the computer. Electromaster is literally MASTER OF ELECTRICITY

But doesn't that mean she needs to be able to mentally process every keystroke as binary on the fly and have a solid enough grasp of TCP/IP, routing, programming languages, SQL and other database languages, general h4x, etc.? You can't just ram a surge of electrons through a computer and expect it to cooperate. Kamachi.exe, please. My immersion.:reject:

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
If we're going to debate how she can use her mastery of electricity to hack electronics we should also be debating how it is she manages to manipulate it to do all the other things she does, such as generate magnetic fields of such power and precision to propel a coin with incredible destructive velocity. Not to mention the question of how her body is producing all of this electricity... or we can just sit back and remember it's just a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Or creating an electric whip or creating a protectzing force field or producing a loving blade out of sand containing iron or...

Misak just can do everything. Deal with it.

• Locked thread