Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I was trying to figure out how they ended up with so many munitions given that they were carjacking but it makes sense that they had to stop off at home. Was also wondering why they only made it to Watertown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Didn't he attend a college party last week, after the event? Doesn't sound like he was particularly racked with guilt

Supposedly he went to class the next day.

Windjammer
Feb 23, 2007

So very primitive.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

His smile as he walks away could be a simple smirk for what he thought was a "prank" at a major event that then turned out to be an act of terror by his older brother. Bomb goes off, then adrenaline kicks in. He begins to panic, questions what is going on and how his brother could cause such a thing. He gets fed poo poo by his brother like "don't worry they won't catch us". Sees his face on the news, gets grabbed by his brother to book it, etc.

This is honestly my biggest fear. I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. I don't think people could properly deal with this. I really hope we find conclusive evidence that he is a monster just so the nation could heal faster. People like their stories black and white. If it goes down this shades of grey route, people are going to get frustrated and demand action. :(

I haven't heard anything that points to anything definitive. He parents are in shock. His friends and school mates keep talking about how smart and normal he was. His supposed tweets are normal as hell. Is there anything that at least gives a glimpse he could be a monster?

Really doubt that's the case. Even ignoring how baseless it is to assume that his brother managed to trick him into thinking a homemade pressure-cooker bomb filled with nails is just going to make a harmless noise, you still have the tweets where he mocked his victims. That doesn't really fit the narrative of somebody shocked and dismayed about their purported prank turning out to be a deadly bombing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

No. He knows about the aftermath of his actions afterward by this time. At this point he would be panicking and listening to his older brother. Put yourself in that hosed up of a situation. Some people just don't know how to cope and just listen to what they're told at that point. Especially being an older brother.

What would help put my worry at ease is knowing if he was the one who pulled the trigger on the MIT officer? That is a calm enough environment that would give him some pause before reacting, unlike a police shoot out with adrenaline pumping and going through a pure freakout mode.

Are you really that dense to know see how it could be plausible? If there is evidence that shows he KNEW what was in those bags or KNEW what was being planned, then cool. If not, you're passing judgement before you know the whole story.

Don't get me wrong, I think he was roped in, as evidenced by the fact he didn't suicide-by cop like his brother, but he had a day to understand the consequences of his actions and went along with it. He knew what happened, and I don't doubt he knew the plan.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Didn't he attend a college party last week, after the event? Doesn't sound like he was particularly racked with guilt

If this is true than cool. Easy open on shut case (as easy as it can be anyway)

Godholio posted:

Supposedly he went to class the next day.

If thats the case, that may not actually not mean anything. Depends on what his peers noticed. Was he more reserved that day? Or was he normal, possible cracking jokes like nothing happened.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

No. He knows about the aftermath of his actions afterward by this time. At this point he would be panicking and listening to his older brother. Put yourself in that hosed up of a situation. Some people just don't know how to cope and just listen to what they're told at that point. Especially being an older brother.

Could we stop this. There is 0 indication that the older brother forced his brother to do anything at all. The discussion is moot anyway because you can't kill someone to save your own life. What is it with people and heinous criminals who try to drum up sympathy in any way possible? Regardless of the facts or how much of a stretch it is.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Windjammer posted:

Really doubt that's the case. Even ignoring how baseless it is to assume that his brother managed to trick him into thinking a homemade pressure-cooker bomb filled with nails is just going to make a harmless noise, you still have the tweets where he mocked his victims. That doesn't really fit the narrative of somebody shocked and dismayed about their purported prank turning out to be a deadly bombing.

AH. I didn't see the tweet where he mocked his victims. Have a link?

ClemenSalad posted:

Could we stop this. There is 0 indication that the older brother forced his brother to do anything at all. The discussion is moot anyway because you can't kill someone to save your own life.

If he didn't mock his victims, act like nothing happened the next day, or have damning evidence, what proof is there to show he actually was a heartless killer. Its plausible.

Don't get me wrong. I hope this isn't the case.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 20, 2013

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
FBI cajoled another pair of Muslims to support their bloated budget and War on Terror, found their patsies, and neatly cleaned it up. What is wrong with this country?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I haven't heard anything that points to anything definitive. He parents are in shock. His friends and school mates keep talking about how smart and normal he was. His supposed tweets are normal as hell. Is there anything that at least gives a glimpse he could be a monster?
I'm going to be really honest here, that doesn't mean anything. I knew a guy in school who was just like that, completely normal. Good grades, popular, a good athlete, good-looking. Very very kind and generous, was always there to help even complete strangers, took care of his little sister, just a perfect kid.

He is in prison now for raping a 12 year old girl. He had no history of violence, there was no indication that there was anything wrong with him, he didn't drink or do drugs or hang out with a "bad crowd". He wasn't even arrogant or anything like that. His dad asked him why he did it and he said he had no idea why he did it. Dude just snapped one day, went nuts and did a very bad thing. Snapped right back to being his normal self later and even attempted suicide when he realized what he'd done.

Not saying this is the case here -- this may very well just be a bad person who hid it really well. But good people just turning bad and doing horrible poo poo is a thing that happens.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

asdf32 posted:

Perhaps they are just confused about the hijacked guy at this point? They might have dropped him off at an ATM and the article is confusing that with the watertown square ATM. Anyway we know it was the kid at the watertown square atm based on the photo so that makes sense. Maybe they tried an ATM themselves after dropping off the guy.

Maybe, but being confused wouldn't make them drive 20-30 minutes back into the melee they just caused.

Shitshow posted:

I don't have a horse in the race of how authentic this account is. It's very possible that officers sourced for the article and the official BPD accounts have incomplete or ambiguous information.

I quoted the article to answer other questions that have cropped up around the MIT officer's death and initial shootout.

Sorry, not trying to attack you, just trying to provide reasons why I think the account is incorrect.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I was trying to figure out how they ended up with so many munitions given that they were carjacking but it makes sense that they had to stop off at home. Was also wondering why they only made it to Watertown.

So from what I've been able to piece together they stopped at the ATM in Watertown Square but were caught driving towards Mt. Auburn Hospital when a single cop spotted them on Mt. Auburn st. My guess - and it's only a guess - is that if they were trying to escape they may have been driving towards Star Market, from which you can go west or north to Rt 2 / I-95 / I-93.

That last bit - their motivation - is totally a guess, but that's the only reason why I can think they would take Mt. Auburn in that direction at that time as they have seemed to.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

ClemenSalad posted:

Could we stop this. There is 0 indication that the older brother forced his brother to do anything at all. The discussion is moot anyway because you can't kill someone to save your own life. What is it with people and heinous criminals who try to drum up sympathy in any way possible? Regardless of the facts or how much of a stretch it is.
Not that they're right/wrong to do so, but it's not hard to understand that it's a general desire to believe that people won't be evil for evil's sake.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm going to be really honest here, that doesn't mean anything. I knew a guy in school who was just like that, completely normal. Good grades, popular, a good athlete, good-looking. Very very kind and generous, was always there to help even complete strangers, took care of his little sister, just a perfect kid.

He is in prison now for raping a 12 year old girl. He had no history of violence, there was no indication that there was anything wrong with him, he didn't drink or do drugs or hang out with a "bad crowd". He wasn't even arrogant or anything like that. His dad asked him why he did it and he said he had no idea why he did it. Dude just snapped one day, went nuts and did a very bad thing. Snapped right back to being his normal self later and even attempted suicide when he realized what he'd done.

Not saying this is the case here -- this may very well just be a bad person who hid it really well. But good people just turning bad and doing horrible poo poo is a thing that happens.

You're absolutely right. And I hope you are right in this case. My fear is that it isn't. We are a country that believes in innocent until proven guilty. Even in this horrible act we should make sure we have proof before we pass judgement. This is why I'm asking if there IS anything definitive. A tweet, a journal, a post, something.

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Not that they're right/wrong to do so, but it's not hard to understand that it's a general desire to believe that people won't be evil for evil's sake.

Not the case here actually. I'm hoping he was evil for evil's sake. Mainly because if it was more like the case I laid out, how the gently caress is he, the victims, and the nation going to cope with something like that?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
How could they go home to pick up guns etc? Didn't the police know their home address at that point?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

How could they go home to pick up guns etc? Didn't the police know their home address at that point?

I don't believe anybody knew the suspect's names until the brother was identified in the hospital.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You're absolutely right. And I hope you are right in this case. My fear is that it isn't. We are a country that believes in innocent until proven guilty. Even in this horrible act we should make sure we have proof before we pass judgement. This is why I'm asking if there IS anything definitive. A tweet, a journal, a post, something.

Here he is providing some cruel commentary on what may or may not be a true story.

https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/324268440082841600

flyingbuttbiter
Sep 22, 2003

by toby
http://www.fuct.com/#/enter

Windjammer
Feb 23, 2007

So very primitive.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

AH. I didn't see the tweet where he mocked his victims. Have a link?

https://twitter.com/J_tsar

There are several that, looking at their context, seem to be mocking victims (or, at the very least, don't indicate any remorse), including one where he "corrects" a person on one of his victims' back stories and another where he jokes about "lol those people are cooked." In the last one, he may have been mocking WBC, but that's still a pretty cavalier choice in words for someone terrified at having "accidentally" killed people.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

ClemenSalad posted:

Yes, can we just come to agreement on this.

If he was just a dumb kid tricked by his brother he would have lost it when the reality of having killed 3 people struck him. He would't have participated in a shootout with police, then tried to run them over and then, while alone and bleeding, evade one of the largest U.S. manhunts in history for 24 hours. He wasn't a criminal mastermind by any means, but he was also not a just a clueless kid.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

NewtGoongrich posted:

Here he is providing some cruel commentary on what may or may not be a true story.

https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/324268440082841600

It's not a true story. :v:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
But how were they carrying all of these bombs and this ammunition?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

wilderthanmild posted:

Those terrorists that killed and wounded so many innocent people were just government plants. What an evil government! I better kill and wound a bunch of people to call attention to this!

I've seen it started elsewhere. They were both framed because the younger had info that would crack 9/11 wide open and the older brother knew about it. So the government wanted an excuse to take them out. Ya know, info he hung on to instead of releasing for whatever reason that he and he alone figured out with all those truther "geniuses" out there rolling over this poo poo for 12 years. I literally left a red spot on my forehead from slapping it that hard.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Crasscrab posted:

It's not a true story. :v:

Presumably it isn't, but having the terrorist behind the attack comment on it being a false story indicates a lack of remorse.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

the kawaiiest posted:

His dad asked him why he did it and he said he had no idea why he did it. Dude just snapped one day, went nuts and did a very bad thing. Snapped right back to being his normal self later and even attempted suicide when he realized what he'd done.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't necessarily go by what he said about why he did it, and the urge to commit suicide could just as easily be related to realizing that his life was pretty hosed at that point. And the bombers here pretty clearly didn't just "snap"; this would have required a lot of premeditated planning and preparation.

At the same time, I agree that human psychology is a lot more complex than "good" and "evil."

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 20, 2013

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Petey posted:

Maybe, but being confused wouldn't make them drive 20-30 minutes back into the melee they just caused.

I meant the article author was confused by the various ATM locations/incidents. I agree with your assessment.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Absolutely, but nothing changes what he did, nothing will ever heal the pain that he caused, and he has to face the consequences of that, just like the kid I knew is facing the consequences of what he did. A good person who went bad and did terrible things is still a person who did terrible things.

e: looks like he really is just a little poo poo though

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 20, 2013

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Are you really that dense to know see how it could be plausible? If there is evidence that shows he KNEW what was in those bags or KNEW what was being planned, then cool.

Only if he's no more intelligent than the mentally-challenged guy at our local Safeway who gathers the shopping carts and mops up spills.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

But how were they carrying all of these bombs and this ammunition?

I have read one report that they drove the carjacked car to a parked car in Cambridge. They picked up their car from the repair shop on Tuesday. They could have filled it with bombs and arms and driven the carjacked car to it.

Or they could have driven the carjacked car home and filled up from there. The police had released photos but I'm not sure if they had ID'd the subjects.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Windjammer posted:

https://twitter.com/J_tsar

There are several that, looking at their context, seem to be mocking victims (or, at the very least, don't indicate any remorse), including one where he "corrects" a person on one of his victims' back stories and another where he jokes about "lol those people are cooked." In the last one, he may have been mocking WBC, but that's still a pretty cavalier choice in words for someone terrified at having "accidentally" killed people.

drat, I want to see what he was replying to "@MelloChamp and they what "god hates dead people?" Or victims of tragedies? Lol those people are cooked" as that is pretty much the damning evidence.

asdf32 posted:

Yes, can we just come to agreement on this.

If he was just a dumb kid tricked by his brother he would have lost it when the reality of having killed 3 people struck him. He would't have participated in a shootout with police, then tried to run them over and then, while alone and bleeding, evade one of the largest U.S. manhunts in history for 24 hours. He wasn't a criminal mastermind by any means, but he was also not a just a clueless kid.

People do crazy poo poo when they panic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzP2dyVwOwI
edit: more concise video

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 20, 2013

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

drat, I want to see what he was replying to "@MelloChamp and they what "god hates dead people?" Or victims of tragedies? Lol those people are cooked" as that is pretty much the damning evidence.

He was replying to a tweet about Westboro Baptist Church planning on protesting the funerals of the Boston Marathon casualties. I think when he said "those people are cooked" he was talking about WBC. The other tweet about fake story was pretty stupid, though.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I think it was suggested that it relates to Westboro saying they'd picket Boston, like what are they going to say and the Phelps are cooked.

e:f,b

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

There were reports of small, mysterious explosions in the Boston area (wooded areas/suburbs?) prior to the Marathon -- any news yet on whether those were practice runs by one or both of the brothers?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The only thing I think the brother may have convinced him into believing was that they weren't going to get caught.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
He didn't mock the bombing victims, he just seemed so completely unaffected by them.

Tweeted just after the bombing:

The official Ted account tweeted this glurge about a bombing victim -- the story is fake, but the picture is certainly real.

Jahar's response:

This is a reply to a now-deleted account, but apparently one of his friends tweeted about the WBC picketing bombing victims' funerals. I don't think the "lol" and "those people are cooked" are aimed at the victims, but at the WBC. But still, he can joke about the bombing knowing he loving did it? How? :psyduck:

Tweets from the day of and day after the bombing. Like other people have said, there's nothing special, it could be any college student. That's why it's chilling to read them. He sounds so normal and unconcerned, and by then he had to have known what he did. He had seen the pictures, he'd read the news accounts.

Edit:

Jack Krauser posted:

All of those tweets are the same?

Sorry, fixed now. My clipboard macro got retarded. :) And jesus, beaten six ways to Sunday. Sorry for the repeats.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 20, 2013

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
All of those tweets are the same?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If anything he probably did that to seem normal and fade back into society. Definitely seems like he's just a numb guy with a very hosed up view of reality and good/bad.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

People do crazy poo poo when they panic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzP2dyVwOwI
edit: more concise video

If he acted like he was panicing I would agree. But from reports of him on campus etc he wasn't. Also escaping a shootout and hiding silently in a boat for 12+ hours, while bleeding, takes some patience/resolve which I think is unlikely to be consistent with a panicing kid.

To be clear I think the older brother was the bad influence, but he knew he was in for more than a prank.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

=/ Those tweets teeter either way. But it does at least make me worry less. I really hope some concrete evidence comes to light to really pin this on him. I don't want there to be any reasonable doubt. That is what we are supposed to judge people on in the USA.

asdf32 posted:

If he acted like he was panicing I would agree. But from reports of him on campus etc he wasn't. Also escaping a shootout and hiding silently in a boat for 12+ hours, while bleeding, takes some patience/resolve which I think is unlikely to be consistent with a panicing kid.

To be clear I think the older brother was the bad influence, but he knew he was in for more than a prank.

Hiding in a boat after being shot at while scared out of your god drat mind isn't consistent with a panicking kid how?

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 20, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
The tweets are creepy as hell actually because they're so... normal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

the kawaiiest posted:

The tweets are creepy as hell actually because they're so... normal.

Yeah, it's like what I'd say when someone reposts fake crap on facebook, but from the guy that's why that woman is critically wounded. It's just hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
Wait.

He tweeted 'those people are cooked'? And used pressure cookers for bomb casings?

i don't even know anymore end everything haha please hahaa

• Locked thread