Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Are you looking for the main League of Legends discussion thread? Click here!
Are you looking for the fantasy LCS discussion thread? Click here! Please do not post about fantasy LCS in this thread.

The League of Legends tournament scene has exploded, with many top-tier leagues emerging worldwide. This thread is for the discussion of top level games, news, and other things related to the competitive scene so as to not clutter the main discussion thread. This thread is also for non-professional tournaments.

USEFUL LINKS:
Leaguepedia: The best source for competitive results and information about all aspects of the competitive League of Legends scene.
Esport Calendar: See which matches are coming up and when.
Official North America League Championship Series site
Official European League Championship Series site
OnGameNet LOL Champions (Korean league)
LOL Pro League (Chinese league)
Garena Premier League (Southeast Asia league)

Discuss away!

Violently Car fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Elementz is stepping away as a starter for Curse. People have been expecting this for a long time, and it's finally happened.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Watch Copenhagen Wolves vs EG tomorrow to see who bags 4th place in the EU LCS. The winner plays the loser in the play-offs.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hey, here's an adlib template for getting mad at LCS games.

Bench ________ (Player who gives First Blood)

Double Bench ______ (Player who throws game by getting caught)

Nerf ______ (Champion that gets unexpected Triple [or higher] Kill)

Will _____ (Gross Player) ever fix their _____ (Gross Bodypart)

I ______ (Loved/Hated) when Phreak said "_________" (Phreak Pun)

and last but not least

_____ (GGU) FIGHTIN'

Flayer posted:

Watch Copenhagen Wolves vs EG tomorrow to see who bags 4th place in the EU LCS. The winner plays the loser in the play-offs.

Do this, Winner gets Blue Side advantage I believe.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Another thing, Copenhagen Wolves win/loss record after their 0-9 start to the season is better than 3rd placed SK gaming and only marginally worse than runaway leaders Fnatic and Gambit so I think Wolves are the favourites.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The story with Copenhagen Wolves is that their mid player Bjergsen wasn't able to play the first few weeks, I believe due to his age (and he was their primary shotcaller). They really are an excellent team to watch

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Because I was confused about how it worked I looked it up:

Everyone has 2 games left. Fnatic and Gambit are tied for first at 20-6. SK has clinched 3rd at 16-10. EG is leading currently at 13-13 to CW's 12-14. In fact tomorrow's match doesn't matter at all because they have locked up 4th and 5th seeds between them; CW has beat AAA 3-1 so if they lose twice tomorrow they're still fifth seed, and EG can't catch up to SK.

AAA has similarly beat Giants 3-1 so they have 6th seed locked up, as at best Giants could tie AAA's record if Giants won twice and AAA lost twice tomorrow. Dragonborns couldn't even manage to catch up to Giants' score so 7th and 8th are determined already as well.

edit: Gambit are up 3-1 on Fnatic so tie goes to them. They don't face each other tomorrow but Fnatic has to win once more than Gambit does, which is possible; Gambit is against AAA and CW (and CW, as has been mentioned, definitely seem to be under-ranked since Bjergsen was allowed to play again) while Fnatic are playing 7th/8th place Giants and Dragonborns.

So the games that matter tomorrow: should be two complete stomps by Fnatic and a nailbiter Gambit versus CW.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 21, 2013

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Does this thread also count unofficial stuff like Dominate Dominion? Because DominateTT #6 was pretty fun to watch and I'm probably going to end up following it from now on.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Could someone explain what the "drama" is surrounding elementz? I've been watching league stream tourneys for a while and the dude seems to cop a lot of poo poo, and while "nerfed irelia, better bench elementz" isn't really a meme anymore, it'd still be good to know why he's so divisive (mainly because i know next to nothing about him)

tithin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 21, 2013

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Tithin Melias posted:

Could someone explain what the "drama" is surrounding elementz? I've been watching league stream tourneys for a while and the dude seems to cop a lot of poo poo, and while "nerfed irelia, better bench elementz" isn't really a meme anymore, it'd still be good to know why he's so divisive (mainly because i know next to nothing about him)

Him and Curse's jungler, SaintVicious, weren't getting along. Saint wanted Elementz to take the game more seriously and treat it like a full time job (he should!), and Elementz didn't like his leadership style (apparently highly critical). Both made vlogs to try and defend their positions instead of sitting down and working it out. That's my understanding of it.

I honestly hope that if he doesn't get picked up quickly, Elementz retires from pro League and gets hired by Riot as a commentator. His on-screen presence in every interview he does is tremendous and would probably be a great addition to the shoutcasting team.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Tithin Melias posted:

It sounds like SaintVicious is an immature douchebag and Elementz doesn't appreciate it while the rest of the team just deals.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Schiavona posted:

Him and Curse's jungler, SaintVicious, weren't getting along. Saint wanted Elementz to take the game more seriously and treat it like a full time job (he should!), and Elementz didn't like his leadership style (apparently highly critical). Both made vlogs to try and defend their positions instead of sitting down and working it out. That's my understanding of it.

I honestly hope that if he doesn't get picked up quickly, Elementz retires from pro League and gets hired by Riot as a commentator. His on-screen presence in every interview he does is tremendous and would probably be a great addition to the shoutcasting team.

semicolonsrock posted:

It sounds like SaintVicious is an immature douchebag and Elementz doesn't appreciate it while the rest of the team just deals.

Elementz has a long history of underperforming as a support, because even though he's a smart dude and plenty capable, he doesn't give his job as much attention as other supports do. Part of the reason he was removed from / left CLG was that CLG was struggling and Elementz was solo-queueing in roles other than support when CLG asked that he focus on support to bring himself back to the level of Xpecial / PureGoldenBoy/Mellisan.

I don't know as much about his recent problems with CRS, but he does have a history of not putting equivalent effort into the game, and if his problem is just a lack of dedication then he'll have a hard time staying on a team as a permanent role as the game continues to evolve. It's frustrating, though, because he's a very innovative and intelligent player when he puts his all into it.

e: Also, saintvicious is a dick but incredibly straightforward and forthcoming.

Niton fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 21, 2013

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Watching CRS/CLG when they fully streamed their scrims it's really insane how vicious Saintvicious is on the microphone. Like 80% of their team chatter is just him yelling at people, 10% is Voyboy announcing when he's going in, and 10% is Nyjacky apologizing for upsetting Saint. Elementz and Cop seem like some of the most quiet passive players in professional league and Saint is like one of the most aggro individuals on the planet. I don't know how that works as a team.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Repost from the main thread but whatever: Elementz is better than people give him credit for. His ballsy Taric play in the first few weeks of LCS were a big part of some of those wins.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

Watching CRS/CLG when they fully streamed their scrims it's really insane how vicious Saintvicious is on the microphone. Like 80% of their team chatter is just him yelling at people, 10% is Voyboy announcing when he's going in, and 10% is Nyjacky apologizing for upsetting Saint. Elementz and Cop seem like some of the most quiet passive players in professional league and Saint is like one of the most aggro individuals on the planet. I don't know how that works as a team.

Ladies and gentleman, your NA allstars shotcaller :)

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Studio posted:

and last but not least

_____ (GGU) FIGHTIN'

_______ will be leaving team soon.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Does this thread also count unofficial stuff like Dominate Dominion? Because DominateTT #6 was pretty fun to watch and I'm probably going to end up following it from now on.
Oh stop. :unsmith:

Yeah, TT and Dominion don't really have much in the way of competition but we do what we can. It'd be nice to see some more high profile tournaments and things after the map-specific balance kicks in but seems unlikely.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

A jargogle posted:

_______ will be leaving team soon.

That's mine :getin:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I've never really seen any dominate dominion, if #6 was particularly good can someone link? I'd be keen to see how it's played at a high level.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Tithin Melias posted:

I've never really seen any dominate dominion, if #6 was particularly good can someone link? I'd be keen to see how it's played at a high level.

It was DominateTT, which is Twisted Treeline. It's here if you're still interested. I like playing Lux/Singed on TT so I was interested in how it's going at high levels.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It was DominateTT, which is Twisted Treeline. It's here if you're still interested. I like playing Lux/Singed on TT so I was interested in how it's going at high levels.

Thank you :-) gonna watch now.

Woah, 4 hours.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Sexpansion posted:

Ladies and gentleman, your NA allstars shotcaller :)

Yeah, really don't like that brat. Only reason why I like to see Curse lose. How is this bully an all star? I don't get his popularity. He's like hotshotgg, but with a mean streak.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

IBentMyWookie posted:

Yeah, really don't like that brat. Only reason why I like to see Curse lose. How is this bully an all star? I don't get his popularity. He's like hotshotgg, but with a mean streak.

Hotshot is probably worse honestly, you can almost make a pro team out of people he's chased off of CLG and attempted to play the role of.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Because for his attitude Saint is probably the best jungler and shot caller in NA. There's a reason he's both the all-star Jungler and he's organizing and leading the NA all-star team. Curse has looked unstoppable all season and then has just started to really falter in the last few weeks and it sounds like Saint and Elementz just weren't on the same page. The management of Curse has made it pretty clear that the team is Saint's team, and he makes the decisions, so if someone doesn't work with him it's their problem not his. When you are playing at the bleeding edge of any competitive endeavor, there's not a lot of room for hurt feelings, and you pretty much need an entire team that is as hardcore as possible to win championships. I think it was the same thing with Regi and Chaox in TSM. Regi runs the team and he and Chaox were contradicting each other in matches and costing TSM games. When you are playing professionally for large sums of money, you just can't have that kind of discord.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Libertine posted:

Because for his attitude Saint is probably the best jungler and shot caller in NA. There's a reason he's both the all-star Jungler and he's organizing and leading the NA all-star team. Curse has looked unstoppable all season and then has just started to really falter in the last few weeks and it sounds like Saint and Elementz just weren't on the same page. The management of Curse has made it pretty clear that the team is Saint's team, and he makes the decisions, so if someone doesn't work with him it's their problem not his. When you are playing at the bleeding edge of any competitive endeavor, there's not a lot of room for hurt feelings, and you pretty much need an entire team that is as hardcore as possible to win championships. I think it was the same thing with Regi and Chaox in TSM. Regi runs the team and he and Chaox were contradicting each other in matches and costing TSM games. When you are playing professionally for large sums of money, you just can't have that kind of discord.

Yeah but be that as it may holy poo poo Saint is an rear end in a top hat. I feel like people like that are going to end up guttered in the long run while people like elementz make it. God willing.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Are there any vods of him raging? Every scrim I have watched, he hasn't really said much.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Studio posted:

and last but not least

_____ (GGU) FIGHTIN'

Don't forget:

"I love how HotshotGG ____________ (did whatever he did to throw the game and/or feed stupidly)"

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Saint is a relentless rear end in a top hat. I used to watch him stream a bunch back in S2 when he was still on CLG and I learned a lot about jungling, but I especially learned that he is a massive shitlord.

On Elementz, TSM's manager tweeted that he wanted to talk to elementz about a deal or somesuch. Doubt he'd be on TSM proper but maybe as a coach, or possibly starting back up TSM black? Probably a bit late for that.

Is it ok to talk about caster drama? Does anyone have any idea what the hell happened today to cause GGMonteCristo to lose his poo poo? A bunch of Reddit drama or some such?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So let's say Wolves and EG both end up at 13-15, after EG lose to Wolves and SK and Wolves lose to Gambit. That'd put their head-to-head record at 2-2. Same record, even head-to-head, LCS protocol calls for them to play a single tiebreaker game to determine who's 4th and who's 5th. But then that tiebreaker literally does not matter. They face each other in the playoffs no matter what. Do they just face each other for bragging rights at that point?

... the higher seed starts blue side in the playoffs, maybe?

EDIT: Jesus, this was answered in the fourth post. What is wrong with me

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

No, I simply glossed over that. We both raised the same point about their relative placements not (apparently) mattering. I don't know if they would need a tiebreak or if 4th seed gets blue advantage or anything like that.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Failboattootoot posted:

Saint is a relentless rear end in a top hat. I used to watch him stream a bunch back in S2 when he was still on CLG and I learned a lot about jungling, but I especially learned that he is a massive shitlord.

On Elementz, TSM's manager tweeted that he wanted to talk to elementz about a deal or somesuch. Doubt he'd be on TSM proper but maybe as a coach, or possibly starting back up TSM black? Probably a bit late for that.

Is it ok to talk about caster drama? Does anyone have any idea what the hell happened today to cause GGMonteCristo to lose his poo poo? A bunch of Reddit drama or some such?

I imagine it could just be the general vibe.

Also, three questions:

How do you get a Korean LCS/OGN LOL subscription? You have to pay, right?

Also, does it pair with Starcraft?

And, can you share accounts?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If you're talking about seeing OGN vods go to the OGN twitch and click the button that says "$5.99 Subscribe." It just uses the twitch subscribe feature.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Niton posted:

Hotshot is probably worse honestly, you can almost make a pro team out of people he's chased off of CLG and attempted to play the role of.

I thought that was Team Curse?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Nah. Jack keeps secrets well. He doesn't get ahead of himself in announcing stuff, and the tweet you're talking about (below) is almost certainly him being an all-around good guy and wishing Elementz luck.

TSM_Jack posted:

@CrsElementz Best of luck on your new adventure. You're a good guy, I'm sure I'll be seeing you soon.

Failboattootoot posted:

It's not a secret that Reddit has many immature and volatile people mixed into the lol community. And it's a huge hub for the league community; there's no ignoring it. So if you don't luck into being a community darling, when people start acting like shitlords to you, you gotta either harden up and be okay with being a villain like Reggie, or remove yourself from the source of toxicity. Doesn't seem too confusing to me.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 21, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So here's a question: why do people keep picking Jayce in LCS matches?

He's been a popular pick, especially during Super Week, but there's one little problem: he keeps losing. He keeps getting bullied out of his lane, he doesn't ever seem to contribute much to teamfights, and ultimately his player gets rolled and fed. I know he had a reputation for being overpowered at his launch, but right now he just doesn't seem to be doing much. And yet he keeps getting picked! What gives, here, you think?

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

SpaceDrake posted:

So here's a question: why do people keep picking Jayce in LCS matches?

He's been a popular pick, especially during Super Week, but there's one little problem: he keeps losing. He keeps getting bullied out of his lane, he doesn't ever seem to contribute much to teamfights, and ultimately his player gets rolled and fed. I know he had a reputation for being overpowered at his launch, but right now he just doesn't seem to be doing much. And yet he keeps getting picked! What gives, here, you think?

The Korean teams have been doing a lot of Jayce. It works on poke comps, and poke comps work when they are ahead but die to hard engage and/or if they fall behind. You should have seen Shy (I think) on Jayce the other day, he was ripping poo poo up.

E:

I think you have to pay to see the VODs but that game is somewhere in the videos section here: http://www.twitch.tv/ongamenet

\/\/\/

Okita fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 21, 2013

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
^Knew someone would swoop in and elegantly reply first. Oh well. Any VODs of this Jayce action?^

It seems like Jayce's overall power went down once people woke up and realized that Aegis/Bulwark are really, really good against poke comps. And really, really good in general.

I think the reason he still gets picked is due to his overall safety, plus while Jayce really, really wants items, he's still three skills up on anyone else regardless of how fed he is, so he's got a little bit of wiggle room if he gets delayed. (Though really, once he hits the point where he can one-shot caster minions with gated Q, he's set anyway.)

He also has some team utility with his gate (though I honestly hardly ever see it get used to do anything really cool late game because gated Q spam) and a top lane Shen ult counter button.

The last few games with Jayce I've watched have all been pretty mediocre and they all have the same thing in common - Black Cleaver on Jayce seems to have fallen out of favor, and Last Whispers are getting picked up fairly late. Every single game has obviously had an ADC, and a number of physical junglers are still commonly played, so the shred isn't pointless. Plus Jayce really likes the extra health; everybody's been building him straight damage unlike in S2 where it was more of a balanced Lee Sin-style BT -> Warmogs route. I'm assuming it's partly due to Tear->Muramana slowing builds down. (Jayce might also secretly really, really like Ghostblade, but so far nobody's been paying it much attention in the western pro scene.)

I'm also surprised Jayce is so rarely played in mid. He's basically an AD Nidalee - mobility and surprise poke from the jungle, with the added advantage of stronger early game, waveclear, and team utility. I suppose it's due to not fitting well into comps...AP tops seems to be falling out of favor to an extent as well. :raise: I think mid would fit his power curve better though. Sticking him on top lane island seems to really hinder him in getting poo poo done mid-game, especially with 1v2 lane swaps also being popular.

I could be very wrong, but I'm also under the impression that none of the western pro players main Jayce or are otherwise Jayce savants. His usage always comes off as very brute force or mechanical to me.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 21, 2013

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Libertine posted:

From playing games with friends and goons, I can tell you the best way to get people to work together is to yell at them until they do it. You can make nicey-nice after the fact, but honestly it's usually not needed.
If you're the shot caller, you make a call and someone starts questioning it, the only realistic responce is to very strongly enforce the call again as dithering around whilst you all have a spirited discussion on whose idea is better gets you all killed.
St.Vic comes across as a perfectly nice guy nearly all the time, if he's yelling at people as a shot-caller it's often needed.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone have their way with Gambit. :stare: AAA's plays here are astounding.

EDIT: And as I type that, Gambit reasserts their authority :v:

EDIT AGAIN: Yeah, never mind. :stare: is in effect again, but in the sense of this being a lesson in not letting an early kill and gold disadvantage get you down.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

I could be very wrong, but I'm also under the impression that none of the western pro players main Jayce or are otherwise Jayce savants. His usage always comes off as very brute force or mechanical to me.
ZionSpartan on GGU keeps picking Jayce in LCS. I wasn't blown off my feet but he makes full use of that kit and lands some really nice shots. I'm not sure what you mean by brute force play though so maybe he's exactly who you're thinking of when you say that.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 21, 2013

• Locked thread