Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zorak posted:

There is literally nothing in the work stating or leading in this direction, at least yet, beyond her being Asian and very competent. Is a woman being competent sign that she's a freak? Do we want to go along that line of thought? Really?

Again, at the age of 9 she gripped a knife so hard the wooden handle frayed into fibers and lunged at someone so fast that it shattered the floorboards. It's not unreasonable to think that's a product of more than just adrenaline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Captain Invictus posted:

Has Mikasa ever been cut? It's been a while since I read the whole manga, so I don't recall.

Iirc the only time she's been injured since she was kidnapped was when she was attacked by Titan-Eren, and she only got a scratch. She did almost get killed/severely injured by Titan-Annie though, she got saved by Rivaille.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Question: where does the name "Recon Corps" come from? Every scanlation I've seen uses "Scouting Legion".

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The original Japanese phrase can be translated multiple ways, that all essentially mean the same thing.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Let me rephrase: is there a specific source the term can be traced back to?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Yes, the original Japanese.

Recon Corps and Scouting Legion both don't have any basis in the real world as terminology.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Ok, let's try this again.

Is there a specific fansub or scanlation, or fanpage, or whatever, that translated whatever the original Japanese is to "Recon Corps" first? If so, could you please tell me who it is and, if possible, provide a link to whoever did it?

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
Edit: It was gg fansubs. There was a link here but then I realized the anime is being not-simulcasted so I don't think that's allowed?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Thank you!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've been readin this thing since day one and I guess I never really thought Mikasa was anything but an especially athletically gifted girl.

If anything this manga has taught us that it's smarter than the average shonen memes so I'd be very surprised if Mikasa being good was handwaved away the same as it has been for the others. Maybe she's just really good, just like Rivalle.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No Mikasa, you are the test subjects.

And then Rivalle was a Titan.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Wouldn't Rivaille being the titan and Mikasa just being a normal badass be the best subversion? :allears:

fake edit: Actually, I guess both of them being normal would be the best subversion.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

Again, at the age of 9 she gripped a knife so hard the wooden handle frayed into fibers and lunged at someone so fast that it shattered the floorboards. It's not unreasonable to think that's a product of more than just adrenaline.

The scene in question:
Chapter 6, page 27
Chapter 6, page 28

MIkasa specifically crushed the knife with her own strength. The floorboard has its own panel, and it shows that it didn't collapse into the floor; rather, her foot hit it so hard that it broke.

RatHat posted:

Iirc the only time she's been injured since she was kidnapped was when she was attacked by Titan-Eren, and she only got a scratch. She did almost get killed/severely injured by Titan-Annie though, she got saved by Rivaille.
Chapter 13, page 4 cut happens
Chapter 13, page 10 cut persists
Chapter 14, page 36 artist forgot to draw cut?
Chapter 14, page 38 cut persists

No hint of steam. Probably not a Titan, or the wound is too insignificant.

Ryner's steam, for comparison.

Found something that weakens my speculation. That number we saw earlier? A different number shows up a number of chapters later. So it's probably actually a year rather than location or origin, and the mark just hasn't been shown.

So, 1) that number was probably just a year and 2) Mikasa's cut didn't heal.
Still think something's up, but less confident.

Chapter 42, page 13 - titans still can't burrow underground, apparently. Someone in the thread suggested that possibility, but nope.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thing is even in that last scene Mikasa wasn't strong enough to finish them both off at once with 2 swords. I don't see her being superhuman. Just really good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's implied she hesitated because she still thought of them as friends.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

The scene in question:
Chapter 6, page 27
Chapter 6, page 28

MIkasa specifically crushed the knife with her own strength. The floorboard has its own panel, and it shows that it didn't collapse into the floor; rather, her foot hit it so hard that it broke.
Whoa yeah that's not subtle for an artist that likes adding visual clues.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It would be sort of funny if Mikasa was a human-titan but was just so good that she never found out. Just at the end they find Eren's dad and he's surprised Mikasa doesn't know she's also a titan.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I know it's from two pages ago, but that is beautiful. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've got it, you guys!! Mikasa is actually a full-body cyborg, which explains how she crushed a knife handle just by gripping it, and the reason why she's so good at fighting Titans is because she has secret memories of a martial art developed specifically for cyborgs to take out larger opponents! It all makes sense!! :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Titans are actually composed of flan. That's why their density is so low!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Sindai posted:

But flan...is delicious!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And also denser than the average human body.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sindai posted:

Sasha is actually a clone of Mikasa, a facet of her predisposed to eating instead of war! When this flan discovery is revealed, she will have her time in the spotlight when she unleashes her specialty fighting skill, Sashster Hungryff!

edit: stupid referential derails like this are probably my favorite part of ADTRW

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Eren's father is actually a mad scientist. That's why he's got hosed-up body-melting transforming powers!

... eerie how much that makes sense. :psyduck:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Maybe everything in that house was just made of really lovely wood and it broke

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Maybe everything in that house was just made of really lovely wood and it broke

Mikasa has a telepathic link with termites.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Has Mikasa ever been cut? It's been a while since I read the whole manga, so I don't recall.

Mikasa has always been cut. :colbert:

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

You do realize you just gave us a link to a page without an image, right?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Darth Walrus probably isn't American. This is probably what they mean.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 22, 2013

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Autumncomet posted:

Death Walrus probably isn't American. This is probably what they mean.

Oh. Oh my.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was wondering what that other guy was talking about when he said "MMA Mikasa."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

I was wondering what that other guy was talking about when he said "MMA Mikasa."

Suddenly a Teppu/Shingeki no Kyojin crossover seems like a good idea.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

Suddenly a Teppu/Shingeki no Kyojin crossover seems like a good idea.

Would you settle for a Shingeki middle school slice-of-life?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So what are the Titans? Delinquents who totally are too big to be in middle school but are anyway?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That looks like it's going to be the worst PTSA meeting on the face of the planet. You bring your parent over to discuss your poor performance on the last B.A.L.A.N.C.E aptitude exam when suddenly your principle grabs your mom and crushes her.

Lil Eren is going to resent standardized education for the rest of his life.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

So what are the Titans? Delinquents who totally are too big to be in middle school but are anyway?

They are Titans, just slightly better behaved than in canon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hahaha i found it weird that there was only a Portuguese scanlation of that spinoff on batoto. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/shingeki-kyojin-chuugakkou-r8866

Good thing it's my first language :smuggo:

EDIT: Colossal Titan is the principal! And the reason Eren hates Titans is because Colossal stole and ate his lunchbox!

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 22, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Autumncomet posted:

Darth Walrus probably isn't American. This is probably what they mean.
Probably, but later in the chapter there are a lot of close-ups showing the scar on her right cheek. I don't remember when she picked it up.

Plutonis posted:

EDIT: Colossal Titan is the principal! And the reason Eren hates Titans is because Colossal stole and ate his lunchbox!
He also gets things like erasers dropped on his head.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 22, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
She was cut by Titan-Eren when he attacked her during the second time he fully transformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Pretty sure Mikasa gets that scar when Titan-Eren initially goes berserk during the mission when he's tasked with closing a breached gate off with a boulder.

e:fb :argh: