Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Fedule posted:

In the first draft, this line read "A great man once said, 'one must use one's legs during an investigation'." Oren noted that he thought it sounded like a reference but couldn't trace it to anything, and suggested it might have been something originally written in English. Ever diligent, took I to Google with some imagination and a lot of patience and found this quote from The Widow Lerouge, a 1866 mystery novel by mile Gaboriau (considered a pioneer of modern detective fiction): "When one has no brains, one must use ones legs." - a remark upon a character having to follow a cab on foot since they failed to ascertain its destination in advance. So... either Ibuki "ohaitadakimasuyo" Mioda is appropriately (though incorrectly) referencing a 19th century detective novel or... it's a coincidence.

My mom (and her mom) are fond of saying "if you don't think with your head, you think with your feet" to mean "if you don't plan ahead, you make more work for yourself", and until you said you'd found it in a mystery novel I was expecting you were referring to that saying, so my vote's on coincidence. (I didn't realize it wasn't just something that grandmothers said!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButterPeanut
Oct 29, 2012

Goes great with bread.

Fedule posted:

Good god. This was a lot of "fun" to do. All I had to go on was that this was supposed to be Hanamura's epic breakdown in which he falls back from his (fake) sophisticated city manner and back to some sort of extremely heavy middle-of-nowhere-country accent. And so I broke out the apostrophes.

That's pretty interesting... But does he lose the accent then after he's finally busted and tries to explain his motivation? (As a guy from middle-of-nowhere-country I'm kinda bummed they went for the low-hanging fruit with the country-bumpkin accent thing... But then, also kind of glad I didn't notice it in your translation! So thank you!)

With the talking bear and the character dropping a facade after some big confrontation, I'd almost expect a Shadow Hanamura to pop out and fight everybody. Maybe drop flour missiles out of an attack helicopter or something.

Heliotrope posted:

Besides, look at how everyone else acts - "odd behavior" is just kind of expected apparently.

Yeah, I kind of forgot that this school also admits personalities like Gundam, Ishimaru, and Hagakure, haha. Also, I forgot how Komaeda was the only "unknown" out of the entire group--if he was picked the same way Naegi was before, maybe the school would even overlook any questionable personal behaviors because preventing Komaeda's entrance and picking another person would ignore the random good luck he enjoyed. I wonder if Komaeda was deliberately "acting" all this time or if he was sincere at at least some moments, like when Nagito regained consciousness at the very beginning of the game. It should be really interesting seeing some free time events with Nagito in the future!

ButterPeanut fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 20, 2013

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

antonekens posted:

That's pretty interesting... But does he lose the accent then after he's finally busted and tries to explain his motivation?

Yes. A few of his lines, mid breakdown, revert back to his "normal" accent. It seems to be, he starts spewing gibberish when he's acutely aware of you closing in on him, and in a few places where the "prosecution" loses some momentum and he gets an idea, he suddenly regains his composure. In other words, his accent comes out when he's afraid he's going to finally be busted. After that happens and the trial concludes, he reverts back to normal speech.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Calling it: Sonia's lost memory is that she came to the school to learn how to defeat King Jeremy the Wicked, who had invaded her country.

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Are you aware of the Frequent Occurrences of Mass Naked Child Events within the Academy Kibougamine Peak?

Seriously hough, the only flaw in your brilliant and no doubt certain deduction is Junko and Mukuro's resemblence because of their blood relation was a plot point in DR. Are we to beleive that one or the other got plastic surgery? Get real here.

Not just plastic surgery, despair inducing plastic surgery.
The kind that could make a super soldier look like a young girl (and how her successor made herself into mini Junko out of admiration, and a dancer because like many kinds of forgetfulness hers doesn't extend to learning motor skills, she keeps her memory notes in her huge kimono sleeves).

//silly off

What are the leading theories on what the mono mastermind motive is this time around? As far as we know the only two "members" of SHSL despair are dead.

Radian Angle fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 20, 2013

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

tallest crocodile posted:

Joke's probably been made ten times over, but I'm not about to search through 700+ pages to find out.

I like it! Joke was definitely done in the last thread, but that was the last thread. Also, Monobear himself makes the bear jokes too. It looks like he's become a bit self-conscious, like "Is this really what I sound like" or something. I don't know if that was intentional or not, though? I like it either way.

Fedule should probably add this to the chapter 1 art stuff, since it's a nice contribution. Better than some of the recent posts too.

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
thanks! It was pretty intentional. Monobear is seeing what it looks like for the first time and it's not pretty. Teddie's not long for this world.

It's another stupid crossover, but a friend on Skype was talking about how Monobear sort of reminded her of Lemongrab in some parts of the game and this happened:

(sorry if my handwriting makes it hard to read)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

tallest crocodile posted:

It's another stupid crossover, but a friend on Skype was talking about how Monobear sort of reminded her of Lemongrab in some parts of the game and this happened:

(sorry if my handwriting makes it hard to read)

Part of Monobear's charm is that his voice is identical to that of a character who's known and beloved to the target audience.

Now, if you gave Monobear the voice of Lemongrab, you would also need to change the characterization to match -- rather than being cute about everything, his whole demeanor would be completely serious, all attempts at levity feeling painfully forced, and with a sense that there's a screaming temper tantrum just barely held in check with each and every line.

I'm not sure if that would make him more or less creepy, to be honest.

As to this last update: Is it too predictable, now, that Komaeda is going to end up a victim and we of course must determine who successfully conspired with him? It's telegraphing that so hard that it feels like a bluff.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 21, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It always seemed like Syo would either be framed, get killed or murder someone. In the end, she did none of these. She was a literal serial killer who did very little besides provide a lot of great lines. Just because Komaeda is pants-on-head-crazy and openly admits that he wants the murders to continue doesn't mean he will be the focus of every trial from now on.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Serious Frolicking posted:

It always seemed like Syo would either be framed, get killed or murder someone. In the end, she did none of these. She was a literal serial killer who did very little besides provide a lot of great lines. Just because Komaeda is pants-on-head-crazy and openly admits that he wants the murders to continue doesn't mean he will be the focus of every trial from now on.

If anything, his admission makes me sure he'll live to be one of the final five. Him and the gangster who also said he'd kill everyone.

Peko, the sword girl though? No way, that sounds way too noble, sorry. She's got to go!

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

If anything, his admission makes me sure he'll live to be one of the final five. Him and the gangster who also said he'd kill everyone.

Peko, the sword girl though? No way, that sounds way too noble, sorry. She's got to go!

Also, Monobear said that even if its an accident its still a murder.
Maybe the nurse falls from a step and breaks her neck, With Komaeda covering it up like how Monobear swiped a piece of evidence when Sakura committed suicide.
Even if you die by your own fault by accident it counts as murdering yourself.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Mazed posted:

Part of Monobear's charm is that his voice is identical to that of a character who's known and beloved to the target audience.

Now, if you gave Monobear the voice of Lemongrab, you would also need to change the characterization to match -- rather than being cute about everything, his whole demeanor would be completely serious, all attempts at levity feeling painfully forced, and with a sense that there's a screaming temper tantrum just barely held in check with each and every line.

I'm not sure if that would make him more or less creepy, to be honest.

As to this last update: Is it too predictable, now, that Komaeda is going to end up a victim and we of course must determine who successfully conspired with him? It's telegraphing that so hard that it feels like a bluff.

Nah, part of Monobear's creepiness is that his characterization is such a contrast to the character he sounds like - his appearance and his voice suggest a cute, amusing, harmless thing, but he's a sadistic bastard. In that vein, an easygoing Lemongrab might be a little creepy.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Calico Heart posted:

Actually, HAS Pekoyama done much to justify her being considered noble, or are people just assuming "warrior training" equals "warrior honor"? Serious question, I don't remember her details much and I happened to notice she's kept quiet during the whole lovey-dovey resolve bit at the end of the trial.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Tomn posted:

Actually, HAS Pekoyama done much to justify her being considered noble, or are people just assuming "warrior training" equals "warrior honor"? Serious question, I don't remember her details much and I happened to notice she's kept quiet during the whole lovey-dovey resolve bit at the end of the trial.

The Latter. Pekoyama has done nothing noble short of guarding* the Duralumin case. Even then, I don't think she was the first to volunteer, or even if she volunteered...

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Gensuki posted:

The Latter. Pekoyama has done nothing noble short of guarding* the Duralumin case. Even then, I don't think she was the first to volunteer, or even if she volunteered...

...what? You're way off here. Here's the exchange, from guarding the case being brought up to Pekoyama volunteering.

orenronen posted:

We need to keep this case with the dangerous items safe somewhere.

Can't we just leave it here?

You'd think that would be okay because it's under lock and key, but...

We want to be extra careful tonight. We should find a safe place to store it.

I saw a storage room at the far end of the lodge.

Hmmm... No, we can't possibly use that place. It is not nearly safe enough.

In that case, let's have someone guard it. That would make it safe, would it not?

Eh? But, whod want to do that?

I would, of course.

I mean, she was the only volunteer, how'd you mix that up with thinking she didn't volunteer at all? Mind you, this doesn't have much bearing on the discussion of how honorable she is, either.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Now that Chapter 1 is complete, here's an update for the English translation of the DR2 tracklist. One translation choice I was unsure of was "Fry-Heli" for フライヘリ Google Translate just directly transliterated it as "Furaiheri", which seems like a portmanteau of "fry" and "heli[copter]" to me, but I would welcome alternate suggestions from someone more familiar with Japanese.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
Ignore me, nothing unkosher happened in the previous post. Sorry T__T

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I mean, she was the only volunteer, how'd you mix that up with thinking she didn't volunteer at all? Mind you, this doesn't have much bearing on the discussion of how honorable she is, either.

It was a long time ago, and I didn't feel like going through the updates. Thank you. So her most noble act was volunteering to guard the case full of weapons and dangerous stuff.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

e: whatever

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

it is posted:

Jesus christ this is not okay, please remove this

In fact, I know for a fact the song ... is a spoiler because I accidentally stumbled upon that scene on YouTube. No track lists.

Probably a better idea to just say that one of the songs is a spoiler instead of trying to point out specifics. Good thing that image was thumbnailed.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

it is posted:

In fact, I know for a fact the song [Maybe spoilers? I dunno] a spoiler because I accidentally stumbled upon that scene on YouTube. No track lists.

I know I probably shouldn't go here, but are you absolutely sure you're not thinking of something we've already seen?

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Color Printer posted:

I know I probably shouldn't go here, but are you absolutely sure you're not thinking of something we've already seen?

Oh, you're right. My bad.

And looking at the discontinuous track numbers, it seems he only picked songs we've heard before.

it is fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 21, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it is posted:

Oh, you're right. My bad.

Ironically your post is now even more of a spoiler than his was.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Just to make things extra clear - all the tracks on Zyxyz's list are ones we've already heard, either because I uploaded them to tindeck or because they appeared in a video.

Onecanofsprite
Oct 10, 2012

orenronen posted:

Just to make things extra clear - all the tracks on Zyxyz's list are ones we've already heard, either because I uploaded them to tindeck or because they appeared in a video.

The reaaally spoilerific tracks are still in the original language, too. Which is much better than before if you REALLY want that soundtrack now without being spoiled.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Having recently gotten an account after reading both LPs, my brain is full of words I would like to inflict upon you:

FaTogami is a damned hero. Straight up, one hundred percent, Real American Japanese Hero. :japan:

Early in the first game, the murders and executions didn't really affect me beyond a sense of "oh, that's unfortunate." As it progressed and the game showed more of what the character's lives and relationships were like before while we watch them get destroyed, it grew into just a general sense of creeping sadness.

This time, knowing exactly how the last game turned out made seeing all that planning and effort feel like watching as a bus jumps the curb and flies, in slow motion, into one of those pet store window displays full of puppies. Togami tried so hard to save everyone, even if he was an rear end in a top hat about it, even if he was arrogant and condescending and rude, he tried his damnedest to save their lives and their sanity, but one of them was so loving selfish that he murdered him.

So first I was kind of sad. Then we find out that the creepy bastard cook did it, and I was kind of mad. Then when he got executed, I was kind of glad happy about it.

TL;DR: Togami was Fat Japanese Jesus and Hanamura was his Fat Japanese Judas who got exactly what he deserved.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 22, 2013

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Onecanofsprite posted:

The reaaally spoilerific tracks are still in the original language, too. Which is much better than before if you REALLY want that soundtrack now without being spoiled.

If you have even a slight ability to read kana then I recommend avoiding the soundtrack altogether. Do not underestimate how easily you brain can parse something you wouldn't expect it to, and from what the 'censored' tracklist on Amazon looks like, all the executions are spoiled in this way.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

TL;DR: Togami was Fat Japanese Jesus and Hanamura was his Fat Japanese Judas who got exactly what he deserved.

Wouldn't Nagito be Judas for being the one to put Togami in a position where he would have to sacrifice himself and Hanamura be like... I dunno, some cross between Pontius Pilate and Longinus for being the ones responsible for Togami's actual death?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So reading from the beginning of the first game to this point in a single sitting is not something I would recommend to anyone else. These...really aren't games that you can process all at once.

Anyway, besides the memory deletion research, I'm having trouble figuring out how Zero at this point, serves as a setup to Two. I'd say that it was the students studying abroad, but that would mean that this game took place before the original, and that seems to not be the case.
Is there some sort of character/event overlap I'm missing, or is it something that hasn't come up yet?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

everythingWasBees posted:

So reading from the beginning of the first game to this point in a single sitting is not something I would recommend to anyone else. These...really aren't games that you can process all at once.

Anyway, besides the memory deletion research, I'm having trouble figuring out how Zero at this point, serves as a setup to Two. I'd say that it was the students studying abroad, but that would mean that this game took place before the original, and that seems to not be the case.
Is there some sort of character/event overlap I'm missing, or is it something that hasn't come up yet?

The students studying abroad bit is the school covering up the incident, and the students that are supposedly "studying abroad" are the ones that died.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Can someone link me to that preview of the Dangan Ronpa anime? I don't want Dangan Ronpa 2 spoilers in video thumbnails :v:

ninja edit: should I post this in this thread or in the DR1 thread?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

everythingWasBees posted:

Falls Down Stairs posted a summary of DR0 so far on page 232, which may help put things together. The second part of the story is supposed to put the first part in a different light, so not seeing DR0's connection at this point is probably to be expected.

V!ntar posted:

Can someone link me to that preview of the Dangan Ronpa anime? I don't want Dangan Ronpa 2 spoilers in video thumbnails :v:

ninja edit: should I post this in this thread or in the DR1 thread?

DR1 thread has more talk about the anime on the last couple pages.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Zyxyz posted:

Now that Chapter 1 is complete, here's an update for the English translation of the DR2 tracklist. One translation choice I was unsure of was "Fry-Heli" for フライヘリ Google Translate just directly transliterated it as "Furaiheri", which seems like a portmanteau of "fry" and "heli[copter]" to me, but I would welcome alternate suggestions from someone more familiar with Japanese.

This is really helpful, thanks!

Falling Stars
Mar 22, 2013

When I think about helping everyone, I feel brave!
Oh my, so this is what it feels like to catch up! This is my first time posting, I bought an account just so I could read! Thank you so much for translating this, Oren!

Honestly, I'm starting to get worried about Sonia. I really like her, but the way she has Souda (and I think soon to be Gundam) wrapped around her finger, I'm worried she might make them do something similar to Celes...

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Falling Stars posted:

Honestly, I'm starting to get worried about Sonia. I really like her, but the way she has Souda (and I think soon to be Gundam) wrapped around her finger, I'm worried she might make them do something similar to Celes...

To be honest, I can kind of see this happening too. Monobear could drop some news about World War 3, giving her the whole "my people need me" motivation.

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...

Falling Stars posted:

Oh my, so this is what it feels like to catch up! This is my first time posting, I bought an account just so I could read! Thank you so much for translating this, Oren!

I can certainly foresee some kind of love triangle between these three (or a 'vying for Sonia's affections' thing) ..which most certainly means at least one of them is going to end up dead, if not all of them. :smith:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Princess Nevermind's primary reason to worry is that she's now the only person left resembling leadership. :v: If the dudes are attracted to her, it's because she's only somewhat weird compared to the rest of these clowns.

Of course, she's matched in inspirational presence by Nidai, so clearly the logical option from here are for them to rule the island as king and queen. Everything else should then fall into place.

Estraven
Oct 18, 2012

Falling Stars posted:

I think if there's anything to worry about with Sonia/Gundam/Souda, it's the two boys who are most likely to do something unsavory. It seems to be very far outside of her personality to pit people against each other - Celes very clearly had the capacity to manipulate people from the beginning, but I don't think Sonia would do anything like that. Or I hope she wouldn't :(

Also, I am so sorry but this was all I could think of whenever Komaeda opened his mouth during the last two updates

That's right... I love the talents on which everyones hopes are pinned... I love them from the bottom of my heart.

bonus DESPAIR EYES version:

You are going to become a wonderful sacrifice so everyone can grow even stronger!

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I have seen Pixiv fanarts of Chihiro and Kirigiri doing that exact pose. Is it a meme of some sort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Jeek posted:

I have seen Pixiv fanarts of Chihiro and Kirigiri doing that exact pose. Is it a meme of some sort?

It's originally a female character with pink hair from a bad anime series. I guess the pose is popular enough for people to constantly make edits of it with their favorite anime/game characters.

edit: Here's the original.

• Locked thread